The perfect fitness app

What features would your ideal fitness app have?

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

• The ability to sync with ANY wearable fitness tracking device on the market.
  • The ability to utilize GPS information from devices and tailor the information for custom posting on popular social media platforms:
    • Can choose to share/not share mapped routes, photos, event check-in, locations, times, heart rate, calories burned, etc.
  • The ability to video record exercise(s) performed, and attach the recording to stored workout information (call it "Form Check").
  • The ability to share tailored workout information on popular social media platforms:
    • Can choose to share/not share video recording(s), heart rate, calories burned, etc.
  • A comprehensive searchable database of exercises:
    • Including exercise variations, and common exercise nicknames - ex. "skull crushers", aka "barbell lying triceps extension".
    • Grouping exercises under equipment categories such as "Barbell", "Dumbell", "Kettlebell", "Bodyweight", "Machine", "TRX", "Swiss Ball", "Medicine Ball"...
    • Designating exercises by type, including "Olympic lift", "HIIT", "Yoga", "Boxing", etc. for easy searches.
    • Should include video examples for each exercise, with pointers on common form mistakes and corrections.
  • Should include pre-populated common workouts:
    • Darebee
    • Crossfit WODs
    • U.S. military physical fitness tests
  • Should include the ability to create and save custom workouts.
  • Should include the ability to easily convert weights (Lbs/Kg)
  • Should include the ability to sync with ANY popular diet tracker account (MFP, especially)
  • Ideally, would also include a standalone ability to track diet choices through a comprehensive, customizable database on par with MFP capabilities, but with the added benefit of access to popular restaurant menus and associated calories per item (so that you could search "Buffalo Wild Wings", choose "Boneless wings", then "Asian Zing", and click on "Size: Small" - as opposed to typing in and search for "buffalo wild wings small Asian Zing boneless" and having to decide between such selections as "Buffalo Wild Wings - Asian, 6 pcs" and "small boneless asian zing - with ranch".)
  • Music streaming capability?

• Like 6

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I'd love to see an app that would handle the NF leveling and quest system in the Academy. You'd need something social and very customizeable. Ideally it'd link into the forums of course. If it could incorporate MFP as well that'd be great.

Besides that, I think Pokemon Go is a pretty decent new fitness app too! Get people out and running around!

• Like 3

Level 11 Hobbit Brewmaster

Half Ranger, Half Druid, Completely Ridiculous

Instagram

Current Challenge: Mizbrek Studies with the Order of the Broken Temple

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

On 08/07/2016 at 6:46 PM, Evicious said:
  • The ability to sync with ANY wearable fitness tracking device on the market.
  • The ability to utilize GPS information from devices and tailor the information for custom posting on popular social media platforms:
    • Can choose to share/not share mapped routes, photos, event check-in, locations, times, heart rate, calories burned, etc.
  • The ability to video record exercise(s) performed, and attach the recording to stored workout information (call it "Form Check").
  • The ability to share tailored workout information on popular social media platforms:
    • Can choose to share/not share video recording(s), heart rate, calories burned, etc.
  • A comprehensive searchable database of exercises:
    • Including exercise variations, and common exercise nicknames - ex. "skull crushers", aka "barbell lying triceps extension".
    • Grouping exercises under equipment categories such as "Barbell", "Dumbell", "Kettlebell", "Bodyweight", "Machine", "TRX", "Swiss Ball", "Medicine Ball"...
    • Designating exercises by type, including "Olympic lift", "HIIT", "Yoga", "Boxing", etc. for easy searches.
    • Should include video examples for each exercise, with pointers on common form mistakes and corrections.
  • Should include pre-populated common workouts:
    • Darebee
    • Crossfit WODs
    • U.S. military physical fitness tests
  • Should include the ability to create and save custom workouts.
  • Should include the ability to easily convert weights (Lbs/Kg)
  • Should include the ability to sync with ANY popular diet tracker account (MFP, especially)
  • Ideally, would also include a standalone ability to track diet choices through a comprehensive, customizable database on par with MFP capabilities, but with the added benefit of access to popular restaurant menus and associated calories per item (so that you could search "Buffalo Wild Wings", choose "Boneless wings", then "Asian Zing", and click on "Size: Small" - as opposed to typing in and search for "buffalo wild wings small Asian Zing boneless" and having to decide between such selections as "Buffalo Wild Wings - Asian, 6 pcs" and "small boneless asian zing - with ranch".)
  • Music streaming capability?

Oh come on @Evicious,  you clearly haven't thought this through.  Go away, think about it properly. :P 

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

11 hours ago, RandMart said:

@Guzzi is right, Evie, some of those are App-able, whereas others [video, music] would depend on the device, and be independent of the App

I could be wrong

901df036c1d6ef34360c35e27b53a196.jpg

I don't know which of these is you and which is me....

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Feature that checks time between workouts and highlights if un-loading is adviseable to prevent sore muscle/injury risk:

-  X = X days without exercise prompt the user to de-load / shorten time / distance

- Propose the amount of weight / time / distance to de-load and prompt user for y/n

- Leave all as is if answer is no. If yes, adjust exercise plan (weights / time / distance) accordingly without user action needed

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

On 6/28/2016 at 8:57 AM, calanthrophy said:

Lasers. To obliterate anyone hogging the squat rack.

OMG this!  Or weight hogs on anything.  Because...blah.

As for what my ideal fitness tracker would do:

I wouldn't have to type in anything - it would take voice orders so I could say, "15 pound goblet squats times 36."  And it would just track it for me.

Also, it would remind me how many I did last time, so I didn't have to look it up to try and beat it.

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

Ideally it would also be able to schedule your workouts for you if you want -- so you can tell it, "I want to do these workouts, and I want to do them at x time on x days and y time on y days and so on" and then it can help you remember. Especially for people just getting into exercise/working on forming a habit, reminders are super helpful. 

My C25K app also pings me when it's been a while since I've logged a workout. I don't find that sort of thing to be particularly invasive, but I do wish I could fine-tune it a little (it should give me two or three days before pinging me, not a week). So in that vein, basically EVERYTHING should be super customizable.