M_J Is American Ninja Warrioring

Hello! Jumping in late with my first challenge. My big goal is to get on American Ninja Warrior! As a female, there's a slight edge, because there's less competition, and I will have a miraculous story about turning around my fitness.

I already have a goal to walk 5 miles a day or bike 90 minutes, so I will also track that here.

Diet

• No crappy hot chocolate from work - drink water instead (currently drink 1-2x/week)
  • Only one granola bar or Fig Newtons thingie a week (currently 4-5x/week)

Fitness

•  Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 2x a week (stretch goal 3x/week)
  • Walk 5 miles every day OR bike for 90 minutes

Level Up Your Life

• Floss at least 15 seconds each day (currently around 60%)

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

Sunday: flossed. walked 8 miles. did beginner bodyweight exercise. stretched. won the no hot chocolate/granola bar challenges by virtue of not being at office.

Monday: tried not to limp too obviously around my office. did not drink crappy hot chocolate or eat granola bar/Fig Newtons. walked five miles. flossed.

• Like 3

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

American Ninja Warrior!!! What an amazing goal! My husband and I watch it all the time. Funny, as awesome as it looks, and as much as I'd love to try it (with no one watching, is that an option?) I never even thought of making it a goal to actually try out for it! That might become a future goal for me and him as well.

I love you goals;  short, simple, and great base habits to start with! Good job on meeting your goals so far!

1 hour ago, M_J said:

Monday: tried not to limp too obviously around my office

Ha ha! This cracked me up... been there before! 

• Like 3

The cake is a lie.

Today

Fitness: 50% complete

Walked 6.3 miles

Will do bodyweight exercises tonight

Diet: 100% complete

No faux hot chocolate

No granola bar/Fig Newton

Life: 0% complete

Will floss after dinner

@Oshika789 Yes, the world needs more ANW goals! You can make your submission tape with nobody watching. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Good luck with your goals! 

You said it perfect "crappy hot chocolate from work" not sure what brand it is, but if its powdered form, its not good!

Thats so cool your going to try to get onto the Ninja Warrior, your talking about the show right? 

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Great start to your challenge.  I watched the first half of ANW last evening, and taped the rest. I'm going to go watch the rest now. Have you watched this week's yet. There were several women who did fantastic.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thank you @Butternut! Yep, powdered "hot chocolate" that's been sitting around in some gross warehouse for god knows how long is not a worthy treat. Maybe that will be the key to cutting the cord. I completely stopped buying grocery store muffins after a description of the disgusting conditions in those bakeries.

And yes, I am talking about the show. I was introduced to it by a clip of Kacy Catanzaro's first incredible run, so from the start it held a "yay ladies" appeal for me.

Thank you @Elastigirl! I haven't watched  the Philadelphia qualifiers yet. I'm excited to see more women kick ass. The L.A.qualifiers were also good on that respect.

I felt terrible for Kacy when she dropped again. There was so much pressure on her, which is unrealistic for any individual. As more women get visibility, the fate of all femalekind will no longer rest on any one person's shoulders.

Hi @Guzzi, thank you for the encouraging emojis!

• Like 2

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Yeah, I felt bad for Kacy too. She will always be an inspiration to me. I'm only 5' tall myself, so when I saw how strong she was and watched her climb that wall that first time, it really motivated me to work harder.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Challenge Update

My jar of peanut butter is a promising defense shield against sugary demons in both solid food and liquid form. That combined with afternoon walks with a coworker may be an unbreakable shield.

I completed my fitness and life goals yesterday. Warmed up with 4 minutes walking up and down stairs. Did three circuits of the beginner BW exercise. Cooled down with a long stretching routine.

My stretches are cobbled together from the NF videos, my own childhood gymnastics, and the BF's soccer training. It takes a long time to get through everything. Helpful in staving off the unnecessary but tempting "second dinner."

Then I flossed. My life, it is thrilling. Can you imagine flossing being a level in an actual video game? And you had to do it before passing every single world?

Yeah. Thruh-illing.

Summary

Three days in a row hitting my goals! On track to hit my stretch fitness goal!

[Insert balloons and glitter gif here]

• Like 2

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yeah, I felt bad for Kacy too. She will always be an inspiration to me. I'm only 5' tall myself, so when I saw how strong she was and watched her climb that wall that first time, it really motivated me to work harder.

The runs she has already put up are incredible. Nothing can take that away from me! Um... I mean her. Us?

And I'm 5'6" so I've got no excuse. Surprisingly, though, I've always managed to find the box of extra excuses. Not anymore, suckas.

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Gah

Dun dun dun... Presenting... my BEFORE pictures.

In link form, because they are too large to attach.

Front: http://imgur.com/MjiGgPG

Side: http://imgur.com/tqC62pI

No, I am not pregnant. I went Full Gut on this one. I have another version where I'm not relaxing my stomach to its full capacity, but where's the fun in that? Where's the dramatic overcoming of obstacles and radical body metamorphosis that will get me on AMERICAN NINJAAAAA WARRIOR?

ETA: I also decided that when I have enough posts to change my name, I'm going to be V for Vetinari. As a future assassin, it's perfectly logical. Anyone who doesn't know Vetinari, get thee to a library and read all the Terry Pratchett. All of it.

The BF will henceforth be Vimes. Vetinari and Vimes. Match made in buddy cop/tyrant heaven.

• Like 2

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

4 minutes ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

That's great! You set your sights high! Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Thank you, Doctor! There's a Vonnegut quote that made a huge impression on me and changed how I approach things: We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

(Plus there's all that science about building new neural networks and smiling making you happy, not the other way around, but the quote came first.)

I constantly have the urge to caveat things. "I know I won't actually get on the show, but maybe doing a push-up would be nice." "It may take me years before I can do a pull-up." "I may have avoided Fig Newtons but I ate a mini Hershey's and a bagel." "[Insert other pessimistic BS.]"

Then I remember that I will be what I pretend to be. I pretend that I'm confident, and badass, and optimistic, and will hit my goals. I focus on the wins, because that will strengthen my mindset for tomorrow and reinforce that I am healthy and full of willpower.

Plus, I love the show. Hah.

• Like 3

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

4 hours ago, M_J said:

ETA: I also decided that when I have enough posts to change my name, I'm going to be V for Vetinari. As a future assassin, it's perfectly logical. Anyone who doesn't know Vetinari, get thee to a library and read all the Terry Pratchett. All of it.

The BF will henceforth be Vimes. Vetinari and Vimes. Match made in buddy cop/tyrant heaven.

Brilliant idea!

When I grow up I want to be Granny Weatherwax. A class of her own, though Tiffany might be giving her a run for her money.

• Like 1

Three days in a row hitting my goals! On track to hit my stretch fitness goal!

[insert balloons and glitter gif here]

d208b5c6f36376a1be945df2188696a6.jpg

No one else seemed to be taking you up on this offer. ;) I can never manage to insert Gifs though, so you will have to make do with a picture. :P

Seriously though, you're doing well and I can see that you're going to fit in perfectly around here. :)

Are you going to keep the same goals for the next challenge and make it a 6 week-er or work on something else?

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

7 hours ago, Kucki68 said:

Which would mean I never progress and keep dying... Hmmmm, might be what was needed for me to take this up.

Let's start the flossing revolution! Most boring revolution ever, but much better for public health than the typical government overthrow.

7 hours ago, Kucki68 said:

Brilliant idea!

When I grow up I want to be Granny Weatherwax. A class of her own, though Tiffany might be giving her a run for her money.

If my true personality was matched to anyone in Discworld, it would be Nanny Ogg. Dirty jokes, people I meet say they feel like they know me for years, so open-minded I leave my brain lying around...

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

5 hours ago, Guzzi said:

d208b5c6f36376a1be945df2188696a6.jpg

No one else seemed to be taking you up on this offer. ;) I can never manage to insert Gifs though, so you will have to make do with a picture. :P

Seriously though, you're doing well and I can see that you're going to fit in perfectly around here. :)

Are you going to keep the same goals for the next challenge and make it a 6 week-er or work on something else?

Thank you for the almost gif! It's glorious.

I'm planning on keeping these goals long-term. Eventually there will be progression on the bodyweight exercises, but I've got a lot of time to stick with this. Add weight, longer planks, move to actual push ups...

Cleaning up my diet also requires constant vigilance, although the specifics will change one day.

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

13 minutes ago, M_J said:

Eventually there will be progression on the bodyweight exercises, but I've got a lot of time to stick with this. Add weight, longer planks, move to actual push ups...

I did give you the link to Strength Unbound didn't I? (There it is again, just in case)  It's really cool for progressing bodyweight exercises. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

22 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

I did give you the link to Strength Unbound didn't I? (There it is again, just in case)  It's really cool for progressing bodyweight exercises. 

You did, thanks! I'm not close to needing anything beyond the basic beginner nf workout, but that is on my list for when I do.

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Challenge Update

4 days in a row hitting my goals! No crappy fake-food or fake-drink yesterday, walked 6.5 miles, and flossed.

Today so far: No crappy fake-food or fake-drink at work, and have walked 3.5 miles.

In the name of Pretending to Be What I Want to Be...

I will vanquish my menstrual cramps by completing my final 1.5 miles.

I will slay the temptation dragon and continue to eat healthy foods. I will eat carrots, chili and romaine, peanut butter, and an apple. I will not even mention The Other Thing, because  I will not be eating it.

will do my third bodyweight exercise of the week.*

*But maybe tomorrow, in which case, I will create a better exercise chart so I don't need to keep crossing out workouts prefilled with Sharpie.

I also continued with my Spanish lessons today. Mi amiga gave me a test today at lunch: I got 100%! Even all the accents and tildes were correct. On my subway ride home, I started on her next assignment: write a story using my list of common verbs. I have a few hundred words about a girl who fell and hurt herself on the way to gather water from the river. A talking mouse appears and offers to help.

To Be Continued...

• Like 2

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Love your I will statements!

Thanks @Elastigirl! They seem to have worked, because...

Challenge Update, aka, Crushing It

5 days in a row hitting my goals! Soon to be 6.

Yesterday: no "hot" "chocolate," no granola bar or Fig Newton, finished out my 5 miles and threw an extra one in for fun (6 miles total), flossed, did not eat The Other Thing.

Today so far: no "hot" " chocolate," no granola bar or Fig Newton, walked 5.3 miles, and did my third bodyweight exercise of the week! Will floss soon.

I've also been hitting the Spanish hard. Listening to podcasts, writing out lists of words in my notebook, creating sentences with common verbs, taking vocab tests online, and taking another test from my friend at lunch. During my workout today, I even counted my reps in Spanish, to get my mind in the habit of defaulting to Spanish instead of English. I already know the numbers, but I want to make it automatic.

I had plans to meet coworkers for "drinks" after work, aka, "me watching other people drink and occasionally stealing food." There was the potential to put off my workout and go straight from the office with them. In the past, I might've said, "I can always do it later, when I get home," or "it's not a big deal if I do it tomorrow..." Today, though, I put my sneakers on and marched over to the river to get it done. I didn't care that I would be an hour late meeting up with them. I knew I might stay out all night, and there was no chance I would start doing pushups this late. This way I took care of both my fitness and my friendships.

If you ever want to impress your smoking, drinking coworkers, jet out for a quick strength training episode before meeting them for happy hour. They will either think you're awesome or crazy. Or both.

• Like 3

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge