M_J Is American Ninja Warrioring

On 2.7.2016 at 4:45 AM, M_J said:

During my workout today, I even counted my reps in Spanish, to get my mind in the habit of defaulting to Spanish instead of English. I already know the numbers, but I want to make it automatic.

If you ever want to impress your smoking, drinking coworkers, jet out for a quick strength training episode before meeting them for happy hour. They will either think you're awesome or crazy. Or both.

That is a great idea about the counting, have to learn enough numbers to do that. Might start with my knee push-ups as I can do only a few of those at a time anyway, so need less numbers.

Had to laugh about the whole awesomely crazy.

On 7/3/2016 at 8:45 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Loooove your epic quest. Go get it! :D 

Thank you! I'm goin, I'm gettin it!

6 hours ago, Kucki68 said:

That is a great idea about the counting, have to learn enough numbers to do that. Might start with my knee push-ups as I can do only a few of those at a time anyway, so need less numbers.

Had to laugh about the whole awesomely crazy.

Ooh yeah this is a great way to learn a few numbers! I imagine. I should start a fitness class where I teach people Spanish. First to do: get in shape, learn Spanish.

40 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

This is sooooo awesome!  *high five*

High ten!  \(o.o)/

• Like 2

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

First Week Challenge Update: Sunday to Saturday

Climb erry mountain, hit erry goal.

Diet

• No crappy hot chocolate from work - drink water instead (currently drink 1-2x/week) - NONE (MORE BLACK)
  • Only one granola bar or Fig Newtons thingie a week (currently 4-5x/week) - ZERO

Fitness

•  Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 2x a week (stretch goal 3x/week) - THREE TIMES
  • Walk 5 miles every day OR bike for 90 minutes - YES, DID THIS (AND MORE)

Level Up Your Life

• Floss at least 15 seconds each day (currently around 60%)- ERRY DAY, ALL DAY (okay not all day, just once a day)

To sum up: I did it, yo. All my regular goals, all my stretch goals, all my undocumented goals (Spanish learnin').

I will include yesterday in week two, but I did get almost everything done. Not at work, so hit my diet goals, flossed, and did the bodyweight workout. Only walked 3 miles, but I can make up the other 2.

I really, reaaaaally did not feel awesome yesterday. I think if I hadn't made myself out to be Pollyanna on this challenge log, I would've bailed. But the public pressuuuure!

Por que? I had a great day at the beach Saturday, but a friend of a friend was a super sexist asshole on a couple things and triggered some issues. Kept me up late that night, and then a well-meaning person yesterday brought me back into some different issues. (The latter were the issues prompting a bit of a meltdown two weeks ago, which in turn prompted me to quit a different forum, and that in turn prompted me to join this forum. All for the best, I suppose. Also, hello, my name is MJ and I'm addicted to internet forums.)

Anyway, I spent most of yesterday eating, watching comedy, and napping. I literally got dressed for a walk, then slept in my sports bra from 2:30 - 7:30. I took a quick walk before dinner, and by the time Sir Vimes and I were done eating, it was after 11 PM.

I wanted to blow off the bodyweight exercise. BUT. THE ACCOUNTABILITY ARRRGHHH.

I put on a Spanish podcast and ran through the exercises, then did a full stretch-down. At like 12:30 in the morning.

Then I flossed.

LIKE A BOSS.

• Like 2

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Well done M_J

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to deal with some emotional stuff.  As a person who suffered most of my life from self esteem issues and genuinely considered suicide as a means of escape from feeling so worthless and pathetic, I understand how these thing can ambush you and turn what was a good day into a black hole of misery.  The thing is, I'm not the only person reading this who has been there, or still is.  I can almost guarantee it.

You can share your issues on here if it helps.  You could even use the spoiler function to separate it from the rest of your post so that people only read it if they really want to, if that would help...?  Of course you may not feel comfortable sharing that, and that's ok too.  I just want you to know that whatever you have going on, you don't have to hide it on here.  We are all here to support one another and we have your back, ok?

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Great first week. Glad you didn't floss ALL day, that might be just a bit of overkill.:lol:

Thanks! Yeah, I figure at some point I need to eat the food that later necessitates the flossing, so at least a couple breaks are needed.

17 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Well done M_J

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to deal with some emotional stuff.  As a person who suffered most of my life from self esteem issues and genuinely considered suicide as a means of escape from feeling so worthless and pathetic, I understand how these thing can ambush you and turn what was a good day into a black hole of misery.  The thing is, I'm not the only person reading this who has been there, or still is.  I can almost guarantee it.

You can share your issues on here if it helps.  You could even use the spoiler function to separate it from the rest of your post so that people only read it if they really want to, if that would help...?  Of course you may not feel comfortable sharing that, and that's ok too.  I just want you to know that whatever you have going on, you don't have to hide it on here.  We are all here to support one another and we have your back, ok?

Thanks! I am not sure I want to get into the details about the stuff I've already mentioned. If I ever do, I will keep the spoiler tags in mind. I'm sorry you've had to deal with self-esteem issues to that extent. I can tell just from the posts I've seen from you that you're a good person who likes helping out other people.

Today, Sir Vimes and I had two couples over for a fun afternoon BBQ. They had never met, and I like introducing people to each other. My childhood friend sang my favorite opera song. I had never heard her sing opera before! It was fantastic. [ ..] Now it's raining and late. Only walked one mile today. Yeeeeah this is why I can't depend on making up miles in the future. I may need to use my existing surplus to handle my 6-mile deficit from today and yesterday.

Happy fourth of July, Americans!

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

3 hours ago, M_J said:

will feel better tomorrow. I will go to sleep on time. I will walk, um... 11 miles. And do the bodyweight exercise.

I do hope things look better after a good night's sleep (hopefully you had a good night). If you have to do work 11 miles might just be a bit ambitious... Unless you have Moist's shoes with wings on them that go with the hat with wings on it....

Thank you @Kucki68 and @Guzzi! I am feeling better this morning. I went back and cut out a lot from my last post, since I didn't feel comfortable leaving it up. Reminder #753 why I shouldn't post very late at night. Need moar positivity! Even though I only walked 1 mile yesterday, I still hit all my new goals, I got to spend relaxed hang-out time with friends, and I have a large mileage surplus from kicking ass for months!

Kucki68, I don't have winged shoes, but I did call in sick to work today. I'm sure they are NOT AT ALL SUSPICIOUS that I'm "sick" the day after a long weekend, but I woke up with unexplained abdominal pain. Assuming this goes away at some point, I will have enough time to get all my walking in today, even without winged shoes!

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Thanks Kucki! The pain has vamanosed, and the optimism has apparently returned in full force. Perhaps a little too forcefully. After my Walk & Workout, I spent five minutes in front of the mirror crafting my ANW submission video.

Guys, I cannot do a push-up. This is Extreme American Ninja Optimism.

• Like 3

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Fake it 'til you make it, right? :D

Exactly, haha!

8 hours ago, Kucki68 said:

At least you have the sense to realize that you are not there yet, smile. I am sure there is enough people who think they can do it without having even tried the push up.

True! It's more: Extreme American Ninja Optimism (With a Dash of Realistic Assessments About Current State)

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

I ended up doing 10.25 miles yesterday, so I'm almost back to even after my weekend meltdown/miles deficit. The remaining .75 mile will be easy to make up today.

On my evening walk, I started jumping off of trees and ledges. It was fun! Then I got cocky. Jumped up by someone's raised garden and stuck my foot flat on top instead on angled on the corner. My foot had no traction, and my whole leg slid into the dirt. I almost fell over and smashed my head, but didn't! Let's call this the start of my balance training.

I also did the BBWW and a long stretch. The weather is finally HOT, and I was all sweaty and slippery and gross. I didn't realize until Sir Vimes came home and turned on the AC that I had that option all along.

After less than 2 weeks, I can already tell I'm getting more flexible. I also have less soreness the day after strength training. As in, zero soreness today. Fabuloso.

To do:

Buy better floss.

Get new sneakers.

Get heavier weight for rows. (Ask neighbors for leftover milk jug?)

Find better place to jump around, because concrete sidewalks are going to destroy my knees.

I spent hours yesterday watching a Spanish sitcom designed for learners. They speak slowly and point to things. Perfect for me. I also gave Duolingo another try. For whatever reason, I'm finding the format more useful than my previous attempts. I especially like that it can check my pronunciation when nobody's around to help.

• Like 2

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Right on MJ! I love when I finish a work out in sweaty weather!  I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it as well.

I cant wait to be watching ninja show pointing at the screen saying "I Know That Person!!!"

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

17 hours ago, Guzzi said:

I love this statement. 

:) now to figure out how to do actual balance training. I also want to work on handstands. Maybe I should get a gymnastics mat and... a balancey thing. Onea those.

1 hour ago, Butternut said:

Right on MJ! I love when I finish a work out in sweaty weather!  I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it as well.

I cant wait to be watching ninja show pointing at the screen saying "I Know That Person!!!"

Oh, ah. I do not recall enjoying the sweaty grossness. I just never turn on the AC. Next challenge goal: enjoy being slippery.

Be the eel.

I will update you as soon as I get on ANW. Yeehaw!

• Like 2

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

On 7/6/2016 at 11:35 AM, M_J said:

To do:

Buy better floss.

Get new sneakers.

Get heavier weight for rows. (Ask neighbors for leftover milk jug?)

Find better place to jump around, because concrete sidewalks are going to destroy my knees.

Who knew my epic quest was going to be FINDING THE ONE FREAKING TYPE OF FLOSS THAT WORKS FOR ME?

WHY ARE MY GUMS BLEEDING WHEN I HAVE FLOSSED EVERY SINGLE NIGHT?

FLOOOSSSSSSS! (Yelled in the vein of STELLAAAAA!)

Whew. Okay. I finally ran out of my dentist's floss samples. I seem to have unique floss needs, because the multiple options I've tried aren't working out. I will order some on Amazon tonight, along with one of those self-hygienist torture device sets. For funsies.

Some might say this Epic Quest is neither "epic" nor a "quest," and that if the answer to your dilemma lies in Amazon, you should stop being so melodramatic. To those people, I say: FLOOSSSSS yeah, you're probably right.

In boring, nobody-cares-because-it's-not-FLOSS news, I will be receiving a neighborly gift of an empty milk jug within the week. I made up my mileage yesterday and only have 1 mile left today. I resisted the forbidden food and drink yesterday, but today had a Fig Newton thingie. I am allowed one, so still hitting my goal.

The underlying problem, though: yesterday Sir Vimes and I celebrated something by... getting distracted... and then ordering in terrible, terrible diner food. Then he bought celebration candy even though I asked him not to get me anything. I spent a couple solid hours last night in hardcore I AM EATING I AM EATING FOOD I AM EATING GREASY FRIED FOOD I MAY BE FULL BUT THERE'S A CHOCOLATE BAR IN THE FRIIIIIDGE.

Once I fall into that mode, it's hard to snap back out. I ate my standard peanut butter and beans for breakfast and lunch, but then I asked my friend for a tiny piece of chocolate. That turned back on the FOOD FOOD cravings spigot. I figured two Fig Newtons were marginally better than a chocolate bar.

Upcoming even bigger problem: Tonight we're heading out of state to hang with his family for the weekend, where I will be faced with EVEN MORE JUNK FOOD. JUNK FOOD JUNK FOOD EVERYWHERE AND NOT A DROP TO EAT.

Sorry guys, I use a lot of caps lock when I'm food-motional.

To sum up: my willpower only exists in the form of removing temptations from my surroundings. When crappy food is to be had, I will have it. I will have it so hard.

• Like 4

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

I read that^ and thought of This

Maybe the old idea of sticking a photo on the fridge to remind you of your goal could be adapted for this occasion??? Some inspirational videos on your phone maybe?

The other thing I though was that having some really tasty healthy alternatives to help stave off the fast food desires. There are some foods that taste AMAZING (way better than junk) and are really good for you including some delicious sweet treats.  

Im not sure if you have time for any of that if you leave after work tonight though... :( Maybe a cooking experiment with his mum/dad? I dunno what your relationships are like, that might be like offering yourself up for execution. :unsure:

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Or maybe you could (mentally) split the junk up into groups (not so bad, bad, terrible) and limit yourself to the "not so bad". 

At the end of the day, there's no point in torturing yourself for the whole weekend and making yourself miserable and cranky. You are allowed to give yourself a break and just make better choices while you're there than you would have before. Maybe just not eating as much of it as you would have in the past. 

Do what you have to do, real life will still be waiting for you when you get back and you can get back on track once you're home and can control the environment again. 

On 7/7/2016 at 9:09 AM, M_J said:

Oh, ah. I do not recall enjoying the sweaty grossness. I just never turn on the AC. Next challenge goal: enjoy being slippery.

:redface:whoops, sorry! lol, well start enjoying it so I'm not the only one :P 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve."