Hi there! My name is Dylan, I'm a lifelong nerd, and I'm interested in health and nutrition, so I'm hoping this site and this program help combine all of these things in one awesome mix!

I'm a 35 year old guy who was not very active in my younger years (though I'd do running and biking at varying levels), and have always struggled a bit with eating, to the point that weight and body composition have been struggles for a while. In university I started going to the gym regularly, and in medical school and residency it started becoming more serious; since I started my own practice as a stroke neurologist, I've started going to a Crossfit gym and am loving it. But I feel like the diet and the mindset aspects have been out of balance, so I'm looking for a way to help recalibrate that, and become a better example to my patients and my community as well as to live the healthiest lifestyle that I can.

My goals are to lose 30 lbs, feel better about my shape and size, develop healthy diet habits, and get my first ring-muscle up. Here's hoping! Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Hi, Tanktimus! Thanks!

I've been working through the modules so far and have come up with a couple for now; mostly nutrition and diet based.

So far I've gotten to keeping an accurate food diary every day for a month, avoiding food binges for a month (that can be a real problem for me), getting at least 20 minutes of physical activity a day (I don't have a problem with this on days I go to Crossfit, but my rest days usually involve sitting on my butt), limiting myself to two alcoholic beverages a week (I love craft beer so this will be hard) and going to bed every night for 10:30 pm (I get up at 5:30 most days).

I figure those are reasonable starts. I'm working through the nutrition and mindset modules too to come up with more. I love the ideas here!

• Like 2

Welcome on board! 

Have you found your way around the forum alright? We are on the final week of our current 4 week challenge, the next one starts on 17th. That could be a good way for you to set yourself some goals and work towards them. It sounds like you may like the Ranger guild, a lot of crossfit people in there, but of course you're free to join any guild you like. 

I hope you being a part of this community. Let us know if there's anything you need to know to get you started. :) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Cool! I'm not a member of the academy so I've never checked out the website. How have you found it?

Here are some links to help you find your way around. :)

The challenges run on a four week basis, with a suggested format to follow of 3 diet or fitness goals and 1 lifestyle goal, though of course it's entirely up to you whether you follow that format or make up your own. Here is Spezzy's post explaining how it all works. 

Along side the regular challenges, some people like to take part in PVP (person v person) challenges with other members, you can find a list of them Here

The Guilds are just a way of grouping people (and challenge threads) together based on shared interests and goals. You don't have to join a guild and even once you do you're free to change if you want to pursue something different. And just because you are a Ranger (for example), that doesn't mean you can't read or post in the Warriors section and vice versa.

There are also many social threads throughout the forum and the chat room. Feel free to join in the chaos that is the Random thread. <--that link will take you to the first post but we're on page 360 or something daft so I wouldn't bother reading it all, lol! though it's very entertaining. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

So far so good with the academy. I'm fairly into Crossfit classes so the workout segments are more review than anything, but the diet and the mindset segments have definitely been worth it so far!

I'm a little stoked cause I kind of inadvertently started some 4-week challenges when I was starting this yesterday! So we'll see how it goes; maybe an unofficial "five week challenge" to start off with. Thanks for the guidance and the warm welcome! I'm really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

No bother! :) 

You can always post updates in here on your own goals and then transfer them across with a progress update when the next challenge starts...? Just a thought. :) 

• Like 1

welcome!

You do crossfit...  I suppose you have already discovered the crossfit section on the forum?

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.