DarK_RaideR's BattlE_LoG

Getting through a gauntlet like that with your wits intact - whether it feels like it or not - is a major victory. So is this:

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

SRLF and me had an argument Friday night, so I slept little and uncomfortable. It wasn't any better when we woke up Saturday morning

We managed to talk it out though and saved the rest of the weekend.

1.5 sentences that spoke volumes. Well done.

• Like 3

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

Thanks a lot people. I mean that. Now, let's try and bring back some semblance of format, shall we?

Monday, September 12th

Nutrition: My saving grace on this one has been the 2 hour Muay Thai classes, otherwise I would have put on some pot belly volume. Food might not be the best but it's home cooked, although every now and then I do grab the occasional snack from outside. With the way my life has been going lately, this is as much as I can hold on without burning through any more precious willpower.

Workouts: Speaking of life insanity, if you thought I was done you were wrong. I was sadly expecting to skip class again, since afternoon was reserved (I was serving as a member of the election comittee for a newly-founded union of negotiators) but came to work only to find it surrounded by teachers protesting for another year where schools opened and were understaffed. Thing is they had blocked all entries, so I took it as my cue to give myself a day off. This gave me enough time to post my updates on NF and my music blog (more on that on my challenge thread) as well as attend the morning 11-13:00 class. This one's mixed for both beginners and advanced students, but it wasn't any harder than evening classes. My conditioning has adapted, my belly took several shin kicks during one drill without even registering the pain even when some of those kicks came from the instructor and my knee strikes feel stronger by now. Blame the wrestling fan in me, but there's something badass about taping your fists ;)

Bonus kudos for our Kru (that's Thai for "MT Instructor"): I've said before he's a known activist and you might remember that time I mentioned he cancelled a title bout because he didn't want to legitimize the presence of Golden Dawn (neo-nazi) party members on a front row table and act like nothing was wrong. Well, I just read on the school's FB group that come tomorrow, our beginner class will probably be joined by a 15 year old kid from Afghanistan who lives in a refugee hostel for orphans. I'm willing to bet he won't be charging anything and the overall atmosphere on the comments below is great. I'm guessing this tight community feeling is also something I've been lacking at my previous CF box, where people simply knew each other and dropped by for a workout much like they would at a conventional gym.

• Like 15

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Tuesday, September 13th

Nutrition: Much more processed carbs than I'd like, especially on a rest day, but what can you do? It's what happens when I loosen up and don't really apply any SMART stuff.

Workouts: Rest day and masters' class.

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Wednesday, September 14th

Nutrition: I honestly do not remember. This is what happens when I don't update the folowing day. Memory isn't my strong point.

Workouts: Second workout of the week, love Wednesdays because they are sparring days. Speaking of which, during that time the kru seperated the more advanced people and had them spar freestyle while the rest of us did combo drills. During one of the many partner switches, I found myself with the new kid. After a friendly nod and tap of the gloves, I raised my hands in defense to let him go first, but instead of doing the combo drills, he straight out went wild. He was freestylin' it and hammering out; boy fought like a cornered animal, scared and murderous at the same time. I can't even begin to imagine what he's been through, you could see in his eyes it has left a mark. Anyway, I tried to calm him down while getting punched, but he wouldn't stop. All I could do was suck it up, Ranger up and try to get some counteroffense rolling until it was time to switch partners again. I will not lie, I was scared shitless. Anyway, kru saw us and asked what the hell we were doing, which is when I realized the kid neither spoke nor understood the language. Being the guy that I am, I decided to take the blame and make it seem like I was the one who got it wrong. He showed us what to do once more and let us loose, only to have the kid box me once more. At least this time he was right next to us and broke it up immediately, showing the drill over and over again until we were all on the same page.

Thursday, September 15th

Nutrition: Ugh. Went out at night with the SRLF and it's the first time in a very long while that I left feeling bloated. Totally worth it though, it was delicious and we were still mindful when opting to share a salad and some side dishes instead of going all-out.

Workouts: Teachers were on strike so I was expecting a full on rest day, but my dreams of booking TEW05 for hours went down the drain when I spent the entire morning on the phone with my mother for a very serious legal issue at her work. Forgot to pick up the SRLF in all the mess, so I cooked her jambalaya to even it out and skipped class to be with her, since my father arrives Friday night and we'll be away for the weekend on a motorobike trip.

• Like 5

Lvl 60 Multitasker

26 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Nutrition: I honestly do not remember. This is what happens when I don't update the folowing day. Memory isn't my strong point.

My Father told me that when you get old the first thing to go is your memory and the second thing is...

uh...

it's...

what were we talking about?

Good on you for letting the new kid save face, sounds like he's been through hell.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My Father told me that when you get old the first thing to go is your memory and the second thing is...

Mine told me it was the second...the first was...ahh hell, I forget...

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 13/9/2016 at 3:00 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Bonus kudos for our Kru (that's Thai for "MT Instructor"): I've said before he's a known activist and you might remember that time I mentioned he cancelled a title bout because he didn't want to legitimize the presence of Golden Dawn (neo-nazi) .

Golden Dawn... that's the one with the svastika-ish simbol between laurels, isn't it? Disgusting... Mayor props for your Kru for not legitimating those people's presence.

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

(...)straight out went wild. He was freestylin' it and hammering out; boy fought like a cornered animal, scared and murderous at the same time(...)

Man, thats f*cked up... Those kinds of experiences kind of put one's problems in perspective. I mean, the dude lives in a refugee hostel and is an orphan... who knows what he's been through. Hey, mayor props to you too for cutting the kid some slack, not everyone would have :)

• Like 3

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

Almost a week since I updated. Man it's been one hell of a ride...

22 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Need to know how this went!!!

Very much excite!

I've been slowly reining in nutrition. In preparation for the next challenge, I'm mulling over ideas but it's sure gonna get stricter. Friday and yesterday's (Monday) Muay Thai workouts did happen and just like the Krav Maga camp, I'm once again the instructor's favorite dummy when he needs to display moves, throws, locks and takedowns.

Saturday was the day the SRLF's Krav Maga school celebrated its 3 years with a big announcement from their teacher (who's also a crossfit enthusiast): He's moving the school out of the gym they're working with and into a new place devoted exclusively to their stuff. It'll be bigger and filled with kettlebells, pullup bars... you get the idea. It is practically the perfect hybrid that I'd like to have for my training right now. Instead of juggling CF and MT, I'd prefer to replace the running around, pushups etc of the warmup hour with a CF WOD, then get into the techniques and pure martial arts stuff.

Now for the big announcement, I've teased it but never revealed any details before it was official. After a year on the job, I finally feel safe enough to branch out. The workload is not enough to justify a full time schedule, they can always call me if they need something and since it doesn't prohibit me from working as an attorney, I thought I'd finally take advantage of it. SRLF urged me to shoot out my CV and check responses, which I did. While on the prowl, I stumbled upon an add for a young attorney specializing in corporate law, ideally competition. What caught my eye however was the mail provided, matching the name of a professor from my Masters' course. Not just any professor either, he's a great character, a fellow lawyer, taught the introductory law course, will be teaching the competition law elective on February and is the supervisor to my dissertation!

logo.jpg

They R'lyeh are

I've been meaning to contact him in order to discuss a broad outline for my dissertation. Since exams are next Tuesday and I have no classes until December, I wanted to take advantage of October and November to advance my work. Sent him a mail for a meeting, also mentioning that I was interested for the job and attached my CV. My only concern heading in was what he wanted out of me, because I wasn't willing to give up my current job in order to be in his office all day every day. We met yesterday and discussed my dissertation first, he suggested a great systematic approach to the subject, a very holistic concept that feels meaningful enough to motivate me, as opposed to writing another analysis of article X Y Z like a million others have. Moving on to the job part, he told me this is a good chance because we'll have the opportunity to know each other well and see how we cooperate. To my delight, he wasn't looking for the standard business relationship in the field, but rather something like a sub-contractor who will be taking up specific cases to work on. It's not enough to guarantee a steady income, but I have that part figured out already so I don't care, it'll be more like some bonus cash on the side every now and then (By the way, I finally received my overtime bonus of 700 for a year at work, big boost to my finances). The schedule is perfect in combinatin with my current spot, I only have to drop by his office if we need to discuss something in detail and I get to work on a subject that interests me, let alone the potential connections, CV starpower and other opportunities that come from working with a university professor. It's not set in stone, he said he needs some time but also mentioned I'm on the top of his list, so I'm expecting a first trial case soon.

• Like 14

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Doing a challenge once more, let's see where it takes me. Link is here, will be updating this Battle Log as well

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Isn't it funny how small the world is sometimes??  Amazing news on the job front, and being connected again with an awesome professional!  Any opportunity to lessen financial stress is a win!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

*nerdflail* that's awesome news!! Congratulations!!!

Sent on dragon wing

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Tuesday, September 20

Wow, that was a lot of adulting and getting stuff done at work! Final class attended, now it's exams next Tuesday and a long break until December. Getting back on track, especially with nutrition, as my new challenge kicks off. SRLF got word that she will be interviewed for a job opening within the company that she applied for, did my best to support her and I'm keeping my fingers crossed waiting for an update on how it went.

• Like 8

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Wednesday, September 21

Nutrition: Following my new challenge plan, did not consume any alcohol, sugar or processed carbs

Workouts:  From my current challenge

Went to MT, it was the one class of each month where sparring is done freestyle instead of practicing specific drills. I have no shin guards so I was limited to punches, meaning I had to withstand other people's kicks and close in to take out their distance advantage. It also meant I was more predictable in my shots, had less variety on the offensive and such. One of the guys in particular pushed me hard; his shots were stiff and he was a master of distancing: my punches always stopped an inch before his head while he dashed forward #outtanowhere to hammer me with a flurry of blows to the face, chest, gut and ribs. Not that I'm complaining, you gotta face better opponents if you're gonna get better yourself. Case in point, a huge guy I was up against next; overweight and greener than me, he was being too nice for the occasion, pulling his punches, pausing to reset after each combo, always asking if I was ok, hurt, if I wanted him to take it easier and so on. I did however learn my lessons and when I got paired with some lady next, it felt really satisfying when I stepped back just in time to avoid her low leg sweeps, then closed in to counterattack her exposed face. Must have caught the kru's eye (although to be fair, he's singled me out a lot in general) because he put me in the ring for a round against a veteran who was instructed to push me according to my level. Dude had hammers for fists even when he was taking it easy. He gave me some openings on purpose and again I had to deal with the distancing issue, but I finally managed to throw more than 2 shots in a combo and press the offensive.

Back to the pyramid at the first post of this Battle Log, getting nutrition back on track allows me to lay the foundation on which everything else will be built. Muay Thai training has me covered on everything else besides lifting&throwing. Crossfit is still on the table, yesterday the SRLF suggested we give "regular" Krav Maga a try for a month, probably November because she needs to do physiotherapy for her shoulder in October. That would be KM at her school, the one I mentioned will be using CF methodology before getting into technique (only reason the place isn't getting registered as a box is its size, but coach doesn't mind since KM is his priority). It's a thought. It might complicate things in trying to juggle MT, KM and CF but it might also turn out to be the solution, as it combines CF and martial arts. Now, to quote the great James Brown: "take it to the bridge"

SRLF also told me one of her classmates wants to do the Open with me in 2017, as well as take part in any CF competitions like Compete Live Athens I did this summer. This lady is the one that invited me to do the one-off WOD with them in late August, apparently she drank the kool aid and is looking to "build her crew".

Which brings us to our final point. I was contacted by my original CF coach from my hometown. He wanted my legal opinion on the waiver they give people to sign before training, but he also told me that the Greek Throwdown (competition) will be hosted in Athens for 2017 and they'll be taking part. I was delighted for a chance to meet and cheer them, but he took it a step further: they have an unlimited pass and I'm invited to apply and compete as a member of their box if I want.

55157deb762c88e8979fe0c515e68802cceaa45f

• Like 11

Lvl 60 Multitasker

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I was delighted for a chance to meet and cheer them, but he took it a step further: they have an unlimited pass and I'm invited to apply and compete as a member of their box if I want.

This means you can do the competition for them, does this require to enter yourself as a customer to their box? I lost track of the different boxes you went to. This is not the one you are trying to get out off now is it?

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

14 minutes ago, mr_willes said:

This means you can do the competition for them, does this require to enter yourself as a customer to their box? I lost track of the different boxes you went to. This is not the one you are trying to get out off now is it?

It means I can compete as a member of their crew, even though I'm not their customer anymore. Which is awesome.

CF Heraklion: My hometown box, where I began and the guys that called me yesterday

CF Chalandri: The box I've been training at for the past year. Haven't been there since mid-August and subscription expires early October, so it's safe to say I have gotten out of this

CF Pireaus: The big guys, where I want to go, where I did the Open this year, sponsored by Reebok and organizes all the awesome events and competitions

• Like 6

Lvl 60 Multitasker

1 minute ago, DarK_RaideR said:

It means I can compete as a member of their crew, even though I'm not their customer anymore. Which is awesome.

That IS awesome!

1 minute ago, DarK_RaideR said:

CF Heraklion: My hometown box, where I began and the guys that called me yesterday

CF Chalandri: The box I've been training at for the past year. Haven't been there since mid-August and subscription expires early October, so it's safe to say I have gotten out of this

CF Pireaus: The big guys, where I want to go, where I did the Open this year, sponsored by Reebok and organizes all the awesome events and competitions

Check, i'm back online ;) 

... a little odd in the head ...