DarK_RaideR's BattlE_LoG

Tuesday, 24 January

Back after over a week away. No bueno

WOD: Crossfit HQ 24012017

3 attempts on each move to find max reps

L-Sit Pullups (I got a single rep Rx and 5 with assistance supporting my heels)

Wall Handstand Hold (Scored 1:30)

Pullups (Only 7, my grip is dead and I seem to have forgotten how to properly kip)

Handstand Walk (Did 6m 60cm with heels braced against assistand and about 20cm Rx on my own)

4 hours ago, Endor said:

Cleaned up 90kg today big fella, back at you ;):P

I'm quite ok with my lifts, both in terms of strength and technique. MetCon is average, but it's something I'm working at with every training. Currently focusing where I suck, which is my gymnastics skills, especially my terrible grip in light of the Open and the upcoming Tough Mudder. Asked the coach for stuff to do, he suggested dead hangs and farmer carries using something that's got large thick handles (gonna use kettlebells).

• Like 7

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

That's good advice from your coach. After my wrist injury we built grip strength back up using progressively heavier farmers carries using dumbbells for 20-30m walks. Hard work and difficult to hang on, both physically and mentally but definitely gets results. Those wire gripper things or a stress ball can help too and a bit more portable to use through the day.

• Like 3

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

I got those squeeze grips that I've neglected for too long, guess I should make them a thing again.

Should know that after Monday's strength/lifting WOD and Tuesday's strength/gymnastics WOD, Wednesday would be an exclusively running WOD. If I have the time, space and equipment available, I'll push for a Clean PR just to make @Endor cry throughout Australia day B)

• Like 6

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

7 hours ago, Endor said:

That's good advice from your coach. After my wrist injury we built grip strength back up using progressively heavier farmers carries using dumbbells for 20-30m walks. Hard work and difficult to hang on, both physically and mentally but definitely gets results. Those wire gripper things or a stress ball can help too and a bit more portable to use through the day.

What kind of wrist injury did you have? I'm having wrist pain right now so I've been trying to figure out ways to deal with it. 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

If I have the time, space and equipment available, I'll push for a Clean PR just to make @Endor cry throughout Australia day B)

tumblr_myyhvweCJ51rkvot1o1_400.gif

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

What kind of wrist injury did you have? I'm having wrist pain right now so I've been trying to figure out ways to deal with it. 

I missed a Clean and squashed all the ligaments in my wrist so they splayed out, think of a piece of rope you hit with a hammer. It took about 9 months to heal properly. I still get wrist pain now, mainly because my flexibility is not good and I push it too far when I do movement in front of me or above me, like cleans, front squat, snatch etc. 

What kind of pain are you getting? Is it only when you do certain things? Adjusting my posture on the computer and getting a different mouse made a big difference. I never use the trackpad on my laptop, if I do it trashes my wrist.

• Like 3

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

4 hours ago, Endor said:

I missed a Clean and squashed all the ligaments in my wrist so they splayed out, think of a piece of rope you hit with a hammer. It took about 9 months to heal properly. I still get wrist pain now, mainly because my flexibility is not good and I push it too far when I do movement in front of me or above me, like cleans, front squat, snatch etc. 

What kind of pain are you getting? Is it only when you do certain things? Adjusting my posture on the computer and getting a different mouse made a big difference. I never use the trackpad on my laptop, if I do it trashes my wrist.

Mine hurts when I bend it in either direction, and when I put weight in the heel of the hand. Sometimes it generally aches.  I'm pretty sure it's a repetitive stress injury. Most likely from bad form on bodyweight dips. 

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

5 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Most likely from bad form on bodyweight dips. 

Stress from the weight is supposed to be on the area between your thumb and index finger. If your weight applies pressure to other areas of your palm/wrist it might be just that

• Like 3

Lvl 60 Multitasker

5 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Stress from the weight is supposed to be on the area between your thumb and index finger. If your weight applies pressure to other areas of your palm/wrist it might be just that

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking caused it. 6 months later...still bugging me! It could be Aikido wrist locks too. Or other things. #rangerbrain

(Sorry to derail your battle log - but totally worth it to pick the crossfit brains here!)

• Like 4

Thursday, 26 January

I decided to let @Endor enjoy Australia Day and spare him the willpower so he could resist snacks and alcohol. That said, I skipped Wednesday's running WOD and showed up on Thursday for....

Fran

21-15-9

Thrusters

Pullups

Last time I did it, I used 35kg/74lb and finished in 9:38. This time I finally Rx'd it and scored 9:54. 16/36 male athletes. Wonderful ranking, wonderful feeling to finally Rx it and although I didn't take the exact same time (or less) I'll take the extra 16 seconds and call it a great success!

• Like 11

Lvl 60 Multitasker

17 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Thursday, 26 January

I decided to let @Endor enjoy Australia Day and spare him the willpower so he could resist snacks and alcohol. That said, I skipped Wednesday's running WOD and showed up on Thursday for....

Fran

21-15-9

Thrusters

Pullups

Last time I did it, I used 35kg/74lb and finished in 9:38. This time I finally Rx'd it and scored 9:54. 16/36 male athletes. Wonderful ranking, wonderful feeling to finally Rx it and although I didn't take the exact same time (or less) I'll take the extra 16 seconds and call it a great success!

Well done, great accomplishment to Rx Fran, it's much harder than people give it credit for. Good sign for the open too if you can do that many thrusters and pullups you must be in good shape. :encouragement:

• Like 2

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

20 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

It could be Aikido wrist locks too

They look nasty, I'd stop that if I had wrist pain they certainly look like they won't help.

On 1/26/2017 at 0:37 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Mine hurts when I bend it in either direction, and when I put weight in the heel of the hand. Sometimes it generally aches.

@Yuen got any ideas for NeverThatBored's sore wrist?!

• Like 3

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Monday, 30 January

WOD: Crossfit HQ 300117

4 rounds for time:

20 Power Snatches (74lb)

50 Double Unders

Score: 20"01', 21/48 males

Broke the Snatches into sets of 5 from the get-go to prevent my heart exploding. Double Unders just weren't happening in the last two sets, which delayed me too much.

• Like 6

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Wednesday, 1 February

Showed up half an hour early, spent it playing 3vs3 basketball and beat the coach's team. Ground made it hard for the ball to bounce and my dribbling/shooting skills suck bad, but God help anyone who thinks they're gonna grab a rebound while I'm around

WOD: Gymnastics class

Mobility warmup and kipping practice

5 rounds for time of:

2 Wall Wak/Burpee/Jumping Jack complexes

5 Ring Dips

10 Step ups (20" box) while hugging a 45lb plate

Score: 10:28

• Like 9

Lvl 60 Multitasker

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

2 Wall Wak/Burpee/Jumping Jack complexes

What does this one mean? I don't speak crossfit fluently yet. :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

What does this one mean? I don't speak crossfit fluently yet. :P

It's not a standard thing, just my way to explain it. Starting from lying face down on the ground, we had to do a Wall Walk backwards until we made it to a handstand position and our chest touched the wall. We then had to walk down the wall and back to laying on the ground. Hop up like in a burpee and instead of a clapping jump, replace that with a Jumping Jack. Does it make sense now?

• Like 8

Lvl 60 Multitasker

@DarK_RaideR: That sounds murderous but kinda fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

15 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

@DarK_RaideR: That sounds murderous but kinda fun :)

Mostly murderous. :P

• Like 3

Saturday, 4 February

Pre-warmup: 200m Farmer's Walk using two 24kg kettlebells. Working on improving my grip strength and endurance

WOD

10' AMRAP

30 Double Unders

15 One arm kettlebell thrusters (16kg)

5 Handstand Pushups

Score: 3 rounds and 2 reps

Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong. Broke a jump rope mid-set and had to get another one, got tangled up with someone else's rope and the handstand pushups just wouldn't happen. Seems like another skill I've lost progress in and must work on recovering.

• Like 6

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Monday, 6 February

They moved the competitive training class from early Tuesdays (couldn't attend) to Mondays at 21:00, so of course I went there.

WOD

7' to run around a nearby football field (roughly 500-600m)

then for the remaining time, AMRAP kettlebell/dumbbell Ground to Overhead. Our choice of weight, motion and one or two weights. Score was reps*weight (in lbs)

5' Rest

5' AMRAP Snatches, our choice of weight. Score was again reps*weight (in lbs), but snatching from a hang position counted for double the reps

5' Rest

5' of Running or Rowing or Ski or Assault Bike

Score: 7.830, 10/10 male athletes, 11/13 overall

Comments: Ran decently during the first round, rest was KB clean and presses using two KBs of 16kg each. Did 35 Hang Snatches using 10lb plates (so score for round two was 2*35*64) and ran for round 3. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with how I kept going for the first two parts of the WOD but had much trouble running in the end.

• Like 8

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Saturday, 11 February

Badger

3 rounds for time

30 Squat Cleans (95lb)

30 Pullups

800m run

Used 74lb for the Squat Cleans. Pullups were so dreadful I had to yield and use a green band. Breakfast almost came out of my stomach and after 2 full rounds and over 30' I had to give up so the Weightlifting Class would have enough space. I'm both sad and furious at the loss of my pullup skills. Had a long chat with one of the coaches afterwards about competitions and how I feel like I suck bad heading into the Open, but he gave me some perspective and lifted my spirit. I can honestly say I needed the talk more than I needed the workout.

• Like 10

Lvl 60 Multitasker

8 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Had a long chat with one of the coaches afterwards about competitions and how I feel like I suck bad heading into the Open, but he gave me some perspective and lifted my spirit. I can honestly say I needed the talk more than I needed the workout.

I don't know this coach but I know I like him.

• Like 6

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 2/6/2017 at 3:31 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong. Broke a jump rope mid-set and had to get another one, got tangled up with someone else's rope and the handstand pushups just wouldn't happen. Seems like another skill I've lost progress in and must work on recovering.

Put that one in the "sometimes you just gotta laugh" category

22 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Used 74lb for the Squat Cleans. Pullups were so dreadful I had to yield and use a green band. Breakfast almost came out of my stomach and after 2 full rounds and over 30' I had to give up so the Weightlifting Class would have enough space. I'm both sad and furious at the loss of my pullup skills. Had a long chat with one of the coaches afterwards about competitions and how I feel like I suck bad heading into the Open, but he gave me some perspective and lifted my spirit. I can honestly say I needed the talk more than I needed the workout.

So glad you switched gyms. This sounds like just what you needed.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Monday, 13 February

Tough warmup, plus some mind focus drills that included burpee penalties for failure which I rocked. Felt my right knee kinda flunky though

WOD

Teams of 3 for time:

300 cal on the Assault Bike

150 MedBall Cleans (17lb for women, 20lb for men)

100 One arm dumbbell snatches, as heavy as possible

50 Man makers, as light as possible

Determined to redeem myself for Saturday's disaster. Got teamed with two ladies and despite pumping them up psychologically, I knew they were right about being slower and I'd have to do the brunt of the workout. Got in for a strong 50cal first bike, then each lady did about 30-40. We split the rest in sets of 25, then off to the MedBall Cleans. Couple of reps in, my right knee cracks. Not the way calcium in one's fingers does, but as if one of the crunchy parts snapped. I try not to freak out, if it was a tendon or muscle tear I'd be screaming in pain already. Try not to think of injuries or missing the Open. Few more reps and I can't put weight on it, so I'm basically doing Pistol Squats with a medball. I hand it over to a teammate and they rise to the occasion as they realize they gotta pick up my slack. To their credit, they keep pumping out reps and letting me do just as many as I can before the knee stops me. Snatches I can do, but after my first 20 the girls go for something like 30-40 each, obviously to keep moving fast and let me rest. When it's my turn again, they tell me to stop after 10 reps, but damn it, this one I can do and I gotta make up for everything because I know I'll suck once the man makers come so I do 30-40 reps and pass it over. Man makers do indeed suck, I do the rows real quick but the clean part kills me. Ladies again do more than their share of reps and we finish in something like 35:30. Had to congratulate and thank them.

• Like 13

Lvl 60 Multitasker