Running, jumping, and climbing trees!

My fitness adventure has been an on again off again relationship, with spurts of consistent effort mixed with spans of total inactivity. So, here I am again, but over the last year, my spurts of activity have been a lot more frequent than my hiatuses, and the set up of NF inspires me, because I want to click that button and get my XP!! My goals are for functional fitness so that I can do cool stuff, not get hurt at work, and have energy for life at the end of the work day. 

I spent the last 1.5 years just outside of Seattle, where I cycled occasionally, and then I spent 3 months in Ireland where I ran/walked 5ks a couple times a week up until this last month, where I gave up again.

Now, I'm back in my hometown, Utah, and I've learned something: I'm a lot fitter at sea level. 

I ran a mile mixed with some intervals of skipping, in about 15 minutes, with another 10 minutes of walking scattered throughout, and I was knackered! I was gasping and panting, my heart was racing and my lungs were burning. You'd think I had never run in my life. I know part of it is deconditioning from lack of exercise the past month (where I lazed and ate junk food with my boyfriend for our last few weeks together...it's very easy to be on a constant holiday when visiting your LDR significant other! I put on 10 pounds in those 3 months...), but I know from the ease with which I started run/walking my 5ks in Ireland after months of inactivity, that this time something is different and I gotta think it's the elevation! 

But! 

That's okay. It's gonna take consistent effort to get back to where I was a month ago. I'm ready!

I know the 4 week challenge technically starts on the 17th, but I don't want to wait to get started on my goals! So, to help me track my adherence to my goals and track my leveling progress, I'm using my Bullet Journal as a Quest Log, integrating my Daily Log (where I track my daily tasks/events etc. and now also track the specifics of my daily exercise) with a monthly tracker so that I really see my progress, both in overview and in detail! Lists combined with what I'm basically seeing as "Achievement Points", are really ticking my nerdy boxes, and inspiring me to stay on track and make changes that last! 

Goals for 4 week challenge (I'm just gonna start it now and continue through the actual 4 week challenge starting on the 17th):

Exercise >20 mins 5/7 days 

Bike Tune-up

Drink 5x20 oz water daily

Bullet Journal daily 

• Like 2

Yesterday was my birthday (best day ever!! But no exercise, unless you count shopping! Fashion +15!), and today was my licensure exam (4 hours of mental acrobatics...). So that's my 2 days out of 7 off, I need to do the next 4 days to stay on track. I may implement a Lives thing into my goals. Like, I get one extra life per challenge so I can flub once and not be out XP...cuz it's all about the XP. (But really, it's all about small changes and flexibility, but "lives" sounds cooler.)

But seriously, all day with my mama, cute work shirts for when i get a job (very soon!), teal converse and Smash box lipstick, plus that cursed test out of the way (hoping all my mental exercise over the past months paid off)...I'm a happy, spoiled 24 year old Ranger.

My age old enemy is coming back, as it seems to every time I start to get somewhere! Asthma + Allergies = Bronchitis. I know when my chest starts to feel raw and I start coughing that it'll most likely turn into bronchitis in a few days, but maybe by staying on the move my lungs will clear up on their own and I can dodge the bullet. So I went geocaching with my dad this morning in my neighborhood! We walked 2.4 miles, and found 1 of 2 caches, so that was good! 

Summer is my worst time of the year for being sick, especially when I'm in Utah because the air quality is often so bad, and there's a seriously high pollen count. But even if I do get sick, I'm not going to give up on my goals this time, even if it means I'm just gonna go on some non-strenuous walks every day. It's better than nothing! 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go look for a dwarven Elder Scroll reading device in Skyrim. 

Here's my Quest Tracker! I added a 3 lives system, so that when life happens I'm not automatically out my XP, but I'm also accountable and don't have unlimited free passes. If I do use up a life, I'll color the heart in with whichever color for what I missed. (So if I miss doing my bullet journal, that's an orange heart, if I miss an exercise day, it's green, etc.) 

In other news, I did an UE work out using a gallon of water for my weight, and 20 minutes later my arms are rubbery. I really hate arm workouts, which is why I historically never do them...

Bent over rows: 3x15 each

Single arm overhead press (I'm guessing that's what it's called...?): 2x10 each

Scaption (straight arm raise at 45 angle): R: x6, L x5 (this was really hard for me, I couldn't really do it with that heavy of a weight, especially on the L)

Wall pushups: 2x20

Wall Angels: 2x20  

Also, I have an interview at 12:15 for a nursing home that I REALLY want to work for!!! 

13588789_1222612554438099_1450845090_o.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, seven! I've been offered the job, now I just need to negotiate my salary a little, so that's exciting!! 

And today I got my exercise kayaking on the lake, where we had an awesome bbq birthday party/going away party for my brother and sister in law who are moving to Minnesota next week. It was so fun! We made this incredible sangria and grilled polish sausages. So fun, and my arms are worn out from battling the unfaltering wind we had today! 

Next week, my goal is cleaning up my diet. But this week of homecoming celebration was so worth every calorie and indulgence. 

• Like 1

Ok, so today...I watched 8 hours of gilmore girls and ate cake...

I also weighed myself for the first time in, like, 4 months, since I left for Ireland...I have gained something like 14 lbs. Oh man. I have to get my diet under control. I know once I start working (hopefully soon ) that a lot of it will fall off, cuz I won't have all this time to graze. But I also got to start saying "no" again. I've gotten out of practice.I used to be so good at saying "no."

"No thanks, I don't need a huge piece of cake."

"No, I'm not actually hungry, I'm thirsty."

"No, I'm not hungry, I'm bored." 

But this is a new week, I've officially been home a week, birthday celebrations are over. Time to start eating like I used to, no excuses. 

• Like 1

Off the fitness topic: I gave a counter offer on the salary my new job offered, and I'm anxiously waiting for them to reply via email...apparently my first counter was, like, unreasonably high (misinformation from a fellow PTA led me astray...) so I've proposed a modified counter offer, while the non-confrontational people-pleaser in me is screaming, "just shut up and take what they offered!" But I refuse to be a woman paid less because I was too uncomfortable to negotiate. The worst they can do is say "no, this is what we're offering," at which point I say, "that's fine! when do I start?" 

It's definitely diaphragmatic breathing time...the anxiety of being a bit pushy is making it hard to go to bed.

• Like 1

I had 20 seconds of courage yesterday! I made a counter offer for my pay even though it gave me a lot of anxiety to do it, and It worked!!! They accepted my counter offer this morning, and I can start as soon as my license is issued!! I feel so proud of myself for asking for what my time is worth, even though it made me so uncomfortable. 

Also, I ran/walked 2.2 miles this morning and caught 12 Pokemon! Thanks, Pokemon Go! =p (I will take motivation anyway I can get it!) 

• Like 4

Today I :

Took my bike in to get a tune up, and also learned that the cycle shop has Wednesday bike rides with a no-drop group! It's just down the street from my new job, so I know what I'm doing on Wednesdays now!

I ate really well today. I'm super proud of myself for cutting down on my snacking and making healthier choices today.

I also made a healthy meal plan for the week, complete with healthy homemade popsicles, because it's 93 degrees here and I want ice cream all day. 

And, with my Mom's assitance, we made a reusable meal planner in my bullet journal, which is awesome!

Edit:

Oh my gosh!  I just found out I passed my exam!!! I'm so relieved and thrilled!!

• Like 3

I ran 2 miles today doing week 2 run 1 of the couch to 5k program! I decided to start on week 2 because I've been kinda sorta running for a couple months, and week 1 seemed too easy. 

The C25K program is great for me when I stick to it (and im going to stick to it this time!) because her cheerful voice lets me know when I can stop, and forces me to get going again when it's time. It's great for overcoming my total lack of mental discipline when it comes to exercise, and I like stuff I can track.

• Like 1

I am terribly sad. My brother and his wonderful wife had dinner with me and my parents for the last time for a while, as they move to the Midwest tomorrow morning. So, I'm here crying, because everything is changing. It's not bad change, it's just...nothing will ever be like it used to be,  and I think I'm grieving for that a little bit. It's a lot easier when I'm the one doing the leaving.  I left for a year and a half for school, and I left for 3 months to be with my boyfriend, and I'm probably gonna leave again, so it's not fair of me to want him to stay. I guess I just kind of assumed they would always be here when I came home. I didn't realize it would hurt so much to know they weren't 45 minutes away anymore.  I used to like change, but I'm liking it less and less. 

Ooh today I was supposed to run, and I didn't. I didn't do it this morning cuz I forgot and ended up hanging with my mom all day, and then I was gonna do it this evening when it cooled off...but we started watching Gilmore Girls and I forgot my plan and ate a load of popcorn (which always makes me sick but I always eat it anyway, like a fool)...and long story short, I didn't run. 

So I'm gonna run tomorrow, first thing. 

Also, tomorrow is the official start of my 4 week challenge, and I'm super excited, especially since I decided to do the couch to sprint Spartan workout program! 

I'm tracking stuff mostly on my Ranger page these days...Im trying to figure out if having both these logs is redundant or not...

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Good luck with your Challenge! 

I have two Ranger friends, @Guzzi and @Thom Ulfhedinn, both very different Rangers but an inspiration to an old Warrior :encouragement:

Thanks Seven! So far, so good! I got up, rolled out of bed and went for my run. With the C25K app prompting me, I really pushed myself and achieved a PR of a 12:24 mile average pace! (I know, it's not much to brag about, but it's progress!)

• Like 1

Day 2 of the challenge and of Spartan training finds me very sore all over, yay! My abs are sore, which is the proof I needed that the bear crawl hang was working more than just my quads (though I couldn't tell at the time because all I could feel was my legs on fire). 

Day 1: I ran, lunged for the mini challenge and hiked (where I was assaulted by swarms of baby grasshoppers!).

Day 2: I did the spartan body weight workout with extra lunges for my challenge.

Day 3: I will mostly rest, with some lunges thrown in, because on Day 4/Wednesday I'm facing my fear of team sports and gonna give the local indoor soccer place a try. I don't wanna overdo it all at the beginning of the week because I still have 2 days of strength training this week. Building in rest is harder than anticipated, as I want to do all the things!!

• Like 1

Today I'm resting a bit. I'm going to try for some lunges for the glory of the Alliance, but otherwise, taking it easy physically and just gonna get errands done. I get to take a drug test today for my new job, yay! =p

I was doing some thinking - I'm pretty addicted to my scale. But I know there isn't a magic number that's going to make me feel like I've reached the top of the mountain. And since I'm focusing on functional training, I should see some increased muscle mass and a change in my body composition after a while, which means the scale isn't necessarily an accurate reflection of the changes I'm making. So I took measurements, and that's how I'm mostly going to track that side of things. I'll keep my measurements here, since it's more continuous than my challenge log, and I'll remeasure every week. Hopefully I did this right, I've never really done it before...

Bust: 38"

Chest: 32"

Waist: 30"
Hips at the iliac crest: 37 1/2"

Midway: 36 3/4"

Thighs: 25" B

L Arm above elbow: 11.5"

R Arm above elbow: 11.5"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SevenofSeven said:

How did the Soccer go? So great you are having go at it! 

I just got home!!! I had SO MUCH FUN!!!! And the people were SO NICE TO ME! I hit the ball with my head! I kicked it numerous times and I even snagged it from enemy players a couple of times! My teammates told me I did a good job, and they made me feel so welcome, I'm definitely going back next Wednesday. I also worked up a huge sweat and ran a ton - what a great workout. I'm going to buy a soccer ball and start practicing in my backyard! 

We lost, but I don't even care, I feel like a winner! I also got 50 XP, because playing soccer was one of my "Courage Quests," so I'm almost a level 2! 

• Like 2