I'm new to posting on NF, but I've been reading for about a week or so now, and I really like the site's focus and reading it has helped motivate me to stick with my goals, so I figure I'll stick around as long as that's the case.

I'm 26 (almost 27) and I've been a pretty avid runner most of my life. After graduating college, I took a job that had me working 100-120 hours a week, so the idea of time for fitness sort of flew out the window, and takeout lunch and dinner became the norm. I was working so much that in my few free non-sleep hours per week, I was more interested in hanging out with my wife than heading to the gym or going for a run by myself. I finally decided that I'd taken enough of that life and took a new job that had half the hours in a new city.

When I moved, I decided to get back into running. I trained for a few marathons, and it was surprising to me how much I was able to succeed in training for the marathons. The mental aspect of running came right back, and I knew how to train for a long race. The thing that didn't happen was losing weight. I was 5' 8" and 190 pounds. When I think back to how much stress I was putting on my body to finish a marathon in 3:30 at that weight, it scares me at this point. I spent most of 2009 getting down to 165 (getting as low as 160), mostly by adjusting my diet. I fooled myself into thinking if I ran, I could eat (and drink) whatever I wanted in whatever quantity I wanted.

My goals in 2010 are to get down to 155 for good, and to improve my times in the half marathon (6:30 min/mile), 15K, 10K, and finish in the top 5 of one of each of these races locally. I've already won a local 5K, which was my first goal. I'd also love to actually be able to see my abs at some point.

Aside from running, I enjoy politics, homebrewing beer, Greek and Roman history, and the Wall Street Journal (yes, I'm a finance geek).

I'm new to posting on NF, but I've been reading for about a week or so now, and I really like the site's focus and reading it has helped motivate me to stick with my goals, so I figure I'll stick around as long as that's the case.

I'm 26 (almost 27) and I've been a pretty avid runner most of my life. After graduating college, I took a job that had me working 100-120 hours a week, so the idea of time for fitness sort of flew out the window, and takeout lunch and dinner became the norm. I was working so much that in my few free non-sleep hours per week, I was more interested in hanging out with my wife than heading to the gym or going for a run by myself. I finally decided that I'd taken enough of that life and took a new job that had half the hours in a new city.

When I moved, I decided to get back into running. I trained for a few marathons, and it was surprising to me how much I was able to succeed in training for the marathons. The mental aspect of running came right back, and I knew how to train for a long race. The thing that didn't happen was losing weight. I was 5' 8" and 190 pounds. When I think back to how much stress I was putting on my body to finish a marathon in 3:30 at that weight, it scares me at this point. I spent most of 2009 getting down to 165 (getting as low as 160), mostly by adjusting my diet. I fooled myself into thinking if I ran, I could eat (and drink) whatever I wanted in whatever quantity I wanted.

My goals in 2010 are to get down to 155 for good, and to improve my times in the half marathon (6:30 min/mile), 15K, 10K, and finish in the top 5 of one of each of these races locally. I've already won a local 5K, which was my first goal. I'd also love to actually be able to see my abs at some point.

Aside from running, I enjoy politics, homebrewing beer, Greek and Roman history, and the Wall Street Journal (yes, I'm a finance geek).

Welcome Jeff!

Thanks for joining, and hopefully some of your passion for running will rub off on me. Would love to hear your thoughts on barefoot running and if you've given it a shot! Inquiring minds want to know :)

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

Funny you ask - I actually run exclusively in my Vibrams and have since Oct.

For the sake of full disclosure, I've got flat, wide feet, and prior to last year, I had never found a brand or style of shoe that kept me injury-free over a period of more than 4-5 months. Then last May I tried the Nike Free. I loved those for any distance, and I still enjoy them more than a regular running shoe, which just feels like a cast on my foot at this point. But then I tried the Vibrams in Oct and I've never looked back. I worked my way up from 1/4 mile, adding about 5 extra minutes per day.

Whatever you do, don't just put them on your feet and then go out for 30 minutes (or even 10). Your feet and your calves will hate you for it the next day.

Funny you ask - I actually run exclusively in my Vibrams and have since Oct.

For the sake of full disclosure, I've got flat, wide feet, and prior to last year, I had never found a brand or style of shoe that kept me injury-free over a period of more than 4-5 months. Then last May I tried the Nike Free. I loved those for any distance, and I still enjoy them more than a regular running shoe, which just feels like a cast on my foot at this point. But then I tried the Vibrams in Oct and I've never looked back. I worked my way up from 1/4 mile, adding about 5 extra minutes per day.

Whatever you do, don't just put them on your feet and then go out for 30 minutes (or even 10). Your feet and your calves will hate you for it the next day.

Ha, back when I got my Vibrams last year...first thing I did was toss em on and go for a nice long jog. I couldn't walk straight for probably a week after that. My legs have finally adjusted though, and I'm actually starting to see some calf muscle growth in my chicken legs! Never thought that would happen.

That's amazing by the way with your results, especially with flat feet... I know that's a concern for lots of people.

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.