32 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Yeah, I noticed the spawning turning off while driving. It's ok, I only play at red lights. Mostly have it open for those brief moments before and after stops when I collect steps.

I used to play on the bus. Which is difficult, but doable. But it's been about a month since I've played. Who knows how doable it is now.

The spawn rate around me has been pretty terrible, no matter where in the city I go. And in the more densely populated areas (which theoretically have better spawn rates), walking around staring at your phone isn't the smartest idea. Especially when there is a block or two difference between the tourist areas and rows of abandoned houses. I've also caught most of the pokemon around here, so I don't have much motivation to go out catching. That leaves just walking around to hatch eggs, and get candy. And there's gyms. But it's not really enough to keep my playing when just running the app is such a battery drain.

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

2 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Yea you can definitely tell where the college, business, and poor areas are just by the distribution of poke stops and gyms. That's just for the City, where I live there are no Poke stops or gyms

1 hour ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

I'm out in suburban hell where it's easily 1 - 2 miles between stops. You can still play on the bus, a bit. Mostly hitting stops as you pass.

Sent from the dragon's lair

I live in the Suburban Hell, and work in the College Zone. It's a good half mile to the closest pokestops from my apartment, and the closest gyms are over a mile away. I could hit a bunch of pokestops before/after work, but I'm never hurting for poke balls because pokemon just don't appear that often, even on campus. So what's the point? I don't get anything good from the eggs, and the 50xp is like a drop of water at my level. Once classes started back up, the gyms just became these monoliths that you just can't take on without a team of fellow players. The City is an hour+ out of my way, and my cell battery lasts about 3 hours running the app, so if I'm lucky I'd get an hour of running around the Harbor. But since I live near a creek, I just end up seeing the same pokemon. So again, not worth it. /rant

2 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

You mean you don't want Pidgey's, Ratata's, Spearow's, Weedel's, Zubats...... the only thing I catch that I think is worth anything is Eevee's

I have an army of Eevees (and their evolutions). Most of the ones that spawn are too low level to do me any good.

When I played I'd still catch all the commons, and save them for a lucky egg party. It's a great way to gain an instant level even at 20+.

Really, I'm not too interested in any of the 98 I already have registered in my Pokédex. Just the 18 missing that I can't get through evolving.

The rarity rates really need to be adjusted.   I've caught over 7,000 pokemon and at least half of those are the dang birds, while there's a couple dozen species I have never seen at all.  (Notably Lapras.  I'm level 29 and still no bleeping Lapras, even though I see them in gyms everywhere.  No idea where people are getting them.)

I maxed out my bag of Pokemon at 1,000.  I keep hoping they'll implement trading and all the good ones I've caught will be useful for trade.  But it doesn't seem like that's happening any time soon, and since I can't carry any more mons unless I throw out some of mine, it's made catching considerably less interesting.

I made up a new game though, collecting the biggest and smallest pokemon I could find.  I've found some pretty extreme outliers (my favorite might be the 0.1 kg pidgeotto, also got a couple of 6 kg weedles and a 19 kg magikarp.)

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ok, this is frustrating - I walk for over 90 minutes and not a single spawn. All the pokestops were active and all my Km got logged, but not even a single pidgey to catch.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

17 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I have an army of Eevees (and their evolutions). Most of the ones that spawn are too low level to do me any good.

When I played I'd still catch all the commons, and save them for a lucky egg party. It's a great way to gain an instant level even at 20+.

Really, I'm not too interested in any of the 98 I already have registered in my Pokédex. Just the 18 missing that I can't get through evolving.

I do the lucky egg sprints too. With the recent reduction in animation time, people are getting 90-100 evolves in one sprint. Saving up that kinda candy takes a long time though. If you're evolving and transferring purely pidgies for example, it's 1000 candy.

Have you joined Silph Road? They have a nest atlas on there that shows where the high spawn rates are for many Pokemon. Of those I don't have, I can drive 45 min or so to a place where I know I can get one, just never have the time. The big ones I'm interested in are actually the opposites, the ones with 3 evolution that I can only get through evolving unless I get a really lucky catch. My favorite lines are the geodude and machop lines, and of course they're super rare around me. I've identified a machop nest an hour away that I want to hit on my way to a party this weekend.

14 hours ago, Raincloak said:

The rarity rates really need to be adjusted.   I've caught over 7,000 pokemon and at least half of those are the dang birds, while there's a couple dozen species I have never seen at all.  (Notably Lapras.  I'm level 29 and still no bleeping Lapras, even though I see them in gyms everywhere.  No idea where people are getting them.)

I maxed out my bag of Pokemon at 1,000.  I keep hoping they'll implement trading and all the good ones I've caught will be useful for trade.  But it doesn't seem like that's happening any time soon, and since I can't carry any more mons unless I throw out some of mine, it's made catching considerably less interesting.

I made up a new game though, collecting the biggest and smallest pokemon I could find.  I've found some pretty extreme outliers (my favorite might be the 0.1 kg pidgeotto, also got a couple of 6 kg weedles and a 19 kg magikarp.)

Similar boat here. I'm 25 and have never seen a lapras, jynx, or omanyte. That last ones the biggest issue since it actual has an evolution . My buddy is 30 and has never seen a snorlax, it's the one pokemon he doesn't have. There's a lot of water pokemon I've only seen very rarely. My only seal is from a hatch, and I've only seen 6 squirtles.

I'm ok with all of this though, that's why they're rare. You shouldn't be able to catch them all within a few months.

Trading is supposed to be coming by the end of the year.

Why are you saving 1000 pokemon? Are they all that good? What criteria are you using?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

1 hour ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Have you joined Silph Road? They have a nest atlas on there that shows where the high spawn rates are for many Pokemon. Of those I don't have, I can drive 45 min or so to a place where I know I can get one, just never have the time. The big ones I'm interested in are actually the opposites, the ones with 3 evolution that I can only get through evolving unless I get a really lucky catch. My favorite lines are the geodude and machop lines, and of course they're super rare around me. I've identified a machop nest an hour away that I want to hit on my way to a party this weekend. 

I poked around nest atlas a little, and pretty cool resource, but unfortunately the potential nests for what I'm missing aren't really feasible to reach without a car. >_<

I haven't noticed extra drowzees but I'm seeing an invasion of meowths.  Finally got one of my rares evolved (muk) thanks to the walk bonus.  Too bad the weather here JUST went to hell overnight.  I spent two hours walking yesterday, where was the bonus then...but I'm gunning for an omastar next.

Loving this event so far. More of this please Niantic!

My personal goal is to get enough candies to evolve 2 Gastly all the way to Gengar. One down already :)

• Like 1

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

Double xp and stardust for thanksgiving.  Bigger deal: all mons have had CP adjusted, some got buffed and some nerfed.  My Alakazam still has crappy moves but its stats look a lot cooler.

• Like 2

Ayyy, Ditto's been released!  It always appears as a common pokemon until you capture it, so... I guess it's time to stop ignoring all those pidgeys?  I scoop them up for evolving xp and all of a sudden one I just caught turns purple.  Whoop!  Too bad they're kinda useless in battle since all they can do is mimic.

• Like 2

Well, that was disappointing, again. On the plus side, sightings are back, seem to be there whenever there are 3 or less nearby available for me.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah pikachus in santa hats are pretty much the stupidest thing ever.  Reportedly a couple of gen 2 mons are out now but if they come in 10k eggs I'm not likely to ever see one.

I pretty much stopped playing once all the pokestops stopped working for passengers. We don't walk around much, so hitting them while we're driving was our only option for the most part, and now they don't work and pokemon don't spawn. No point in opening the app.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

I log on whenever I'm somewhere new/somewhere I know there's more going on, and usually have the game on when walking. Just "bird watching" at this point though. I enjoy playing but I'm not bothered about gym battles, levelling, or really even the IVs on pokemon these days. 

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

Not a lot but maybe once a week or so, or when I'm traveling (all too rarely).  I still go for walks, but checking the phone every 30 seconds got tedious.  I did catch a rather nice lapras (finally!) a month ago.  My bag is full and you can't expand beyond 1000 mons, so I kinda lost interest.