• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly positively rocks

8 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

22 (wall) push ups completed.  I challenge @Grymm.  22 push ups per day for 22 days to raise awareness for the US soldiers who commit suicide.  

I mostly accept your challenge.  In lieu of challenging people (and specifically trying to figure out who has and has not been challenged), I donated $50.  My friend Jesse started his 22 push up challenge on April 29th.  If he was "patient zero" (he was not), there would be 4.84e24 people doing push ups today.  That's about 100,000 times the square of the population of the planet.  Push ups will be good for me.  My form needs work.

• Like 5

Silly weekends full of salt. 

(Don't know why Tapatalk isn't letting me quote the part where you responded to me)

Farm boy here. No need to explain dispatching of predators. Coyotes and foxes get the same treatment around the family farm.

Way to slay those predatory PRs while you were at it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yesterday's song:

Also, began taking a magnesium malate supplement.  My reasoning (such as it is)

• I read this article over at elitefts, which got me thinking. 
  • I am an inconsistent sleeper.  Hot tea often helps, but it's summer, so...
  • I get a fair amount of muscle cramps (sometimes when benching!)
  • I sometimes have some icky digestion issues
  • I don't get as much vegetable matter as I should
  • Some reading material
  • My hippie-dippie health food store had 2 brands, both were malate
  • I am starting with 1 pill (141 mg) with dinner.  We'll see how it goes.

Didn't sleep well last night - but that probably had more to do with the three hours of thunderstorms.  Can't blame that on the Mg! :abnormal:

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

• Some reading material

Didn't sleep well last night - but that probably had more to do with the three hours of thunderstorms.  Can't blame that on the Mg! :abnormal:

Thanks for the reading material :D

I hope you get some better sleep soon!

3 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Yesterday's song:

• Some reading material

@urgan can preach the benefits of magnesium supplementation! (tagging is not working)

Was up on the scale this morning.  :-(

Went to the gym despite feeling lazy. 

Squat

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 3 at 185

3 x 3 at 215 (some power curtsies, though)

1 x 3 at 135 to make up for it

Bench

2 x 5 at 45

1 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 125

1 x 2 at 155 (met my former 1 rep max)

1 x 1 at 155 (failed second, then called it a day for bench)  The poor kid who was spotting me was crazy nervous about it; I felt bad for him, but he was the only other person in the weight room, so really my only choice.  That didn't help my confidence, so I just scrapped the third set altogether. 

DB Row

1 x 5 at 30

3 x 3 at 60

Stretches, etc.

1 x 22 push ups (back on the floor) - challenged the friendly guy at the desk.  We did them together. 

Today's music selection again comes from my training soundtrack.  Over on @~RedStone~'s thread, we were talking about music while lifting.  This is my go-to song.  If I'm scared I won't hit a set, this is the song I put on right before.  When I am having a really tough day, this song gets played a LOT.  :-)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

This is my go-to song.  If I'm scared I won't hit a set, this is the song I put on right before.  When I am having a really tough day, this song gets played a LOT.  :-)

Glad that I am not the only one who listens to the same song over and over at the gym! I actually rewind my favorite song to a certain point between my heavy 1 rep sets.

• Like 2

Still

35 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm proud of you for going to the gym even though you were feeling lazy. That is when the magic happens!

So, so so true. Consistency over everything ftw :P 

Still loving the daily music, your pics make me want to experiment with sound some more... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm proud of you for going to the gym even though you were feeling lazy. That is when the magic happens!

Thank you!  I was glad that I went (I always am). 

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

So, so so true. Consistency over everything ftw :P 

Still loving the daily music, your pics make me want to experiment with sound some more... 

http://www.elitefts.com/education/music-as-a-performance-enhancer/

22 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Yesterday's song:

• Some reading material

19 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

@urgan can preach the benefits of magnesium supplementation! (tagging is not working)

50 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

@Urgan, any thoughts?

It sounds like you do have some sort of mag-related imbalance and fortunately it's easy to fix. Signs of magnesium deficiency include trouble getting to sleep, muscle cramps, psychological issues, and in some cases muscle tension that can lead to outright pain. Why does this happen? It's because Mag and Calcium operate like two sides of see-saw that regulates muscle contraction (Ca) and relaxation (Mg). Pile up a bunch of Ca out of proportion to Mg, and you get muscles that will contract but can't relax because there isn't enough Mg to throw that signal. Isolated Vitamin D supplementation actually compounded the problem for me at the time, because D encourages greater absorption of Ca from food. Woomp-woomp. Just FYI.

The fix is simple--balance out magnesium and make sure you're supplementing in proportion going forward. And even better, oral supplementation isn't the only way to go about it--epsom salt is basically magnesium salt and they also make magnesium lotions. Not only do these help correct the imbalance, but they also treat muscle soreness since  magnesium is on the "relaxation" side of the see-saw. You just about can't overdose unless you do so intentionally--the body excretes the excess and you'll get diarrhea long before anything else. Specifically, the topicals have the benefit of bypassing the digestive tract and the guessing games about how much actually makes it to your muscle tissues (insert speculation about how well the body absorbs magnesium supplements in the presence of food in the stomach here). Supplementation is kinda weird, isn't it? What you're taking plus the occasional epsom salt soak when you're sore after lifting weights should do it. Following along to see how you do~

FWIW: I had tension migraines all. the. time. and two pills @ 143g magnesium total plus a epsom salt soak fixed it in an hour. So yeah, I swear by it, lol. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Urgan said:

It sounds like you do have some sort of mag-related imbalance and fortunately it's easy to fix. Signs of magnesium deficiency include trouble getting to sleep, muscle cramps, psychological issues, and in some cases muscle tension that can lead to outright pain. Why does this happen? It's because Mag and Calcium operate like two sides of see-saw that regulates muscle contraction (Ca) and relaxation (Mg). Pile up a bunch of Ca out of proportion to Mg, and you get muscles that will contract but can't relax because there isn't enough Mg to throw that signal. Isolated Vitamin D supplementation actually compounded the problem for me at the time, because D encourages greater absorption of Ca from food. Woomp-woomp. Just FYI.

The fix is simple--balance out magnesium and make sure you're supplementing in proportion going forward. And even better, oral supplementation isn't the only way to go about it--epsom salt is basically magnesium salt and they also make magnesium lotions. Not only do these help correct the imbalance, but they also treat muscle soreness since  magnesium is on the "relaxation" side of the see-saw. You just about can't overdose unless you do so intentionally--the body excretes the excess and you'll get diarrhea long before anything else. Specifically, the topicals have the benefit of bypassing the digestive tract and the guessing games about how much actually makes it to your muscle tissues (insert speculation about how well the body absorbs magnesium supplements in the presence of food in the stomach here). Supplementation is kinda weird, isn't it? What you're taking plus the occasional epsom salt soak when you're sore after lifting weights should do it. Following along to see how you do~

FWIW: I had tension migraines all. the. time. and two pills @ 143g magnesium total plus a epsom salt soak fixed it in an hour. So yeah, I swear by it, lol. 

Thanks, I appreciate it.  :-)

I don't take any other supplements, although when I am on my game I take a probiotic.  I probably get enough calcium in my diet, though - I eat cheese, yogurt, and other dairy every day.  Any headaches that I get are pretty consistently tied to the barometric pressure - annoying, but predictable and short-lived. 

I slept well last night. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Thanks, I appreciate it.  :-)

No problem, magnesium deficiency is LAME.

13 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I don't take any other supplements, although when I am on my game I take a probiotic.  I probably get enough calcium in my diet, though - I eat cheese, yogurt, and other dairy every day.  Any headaches that I get are pretty consistently tied to the barometric pressure - annoying, but predictable and short-lived. 

You're better off getting what you need from food, if you can manage it. A little fish oil, a little probiotic, that's about all ya need.

15 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I slept well last night. 

Yay!

• Like 1

Today's music selection is a two-for. 

The actual song:

which I can't hear without thinking of this:

The second might be my actual favorite.

Also:

@~RedStone~ challenged me to do 22 push-ups for 22 days to raise awareness for the 22 U.S. Soldiers that, on average, commit suicide each day.

While donating money is not part of the challenge, checkout these charities if you feel inclined to further support our veterans: 22kill.com,stop22.org, battledawgs.org

Today: 22 push-ups complete; I challenge: @wildross

‪#‎22pushups‬ for ‪#‎22kill‬ push up challenge to raise awareness for the 22 U.S. soldiers that, on average, commit suicide each day.

Here's how it works. Complete 22 push ups each day for 22 days and post your progress. Form doesn't matter. Time doesn't matter. Let's spread awareness to put an end to this tragedy. 1 is too many. 

Challenge a new person to do this every day you do it.

• Like 5

I'm super duper late, but yay PR's!

I hope the magnesium works!

That was a rather large snake. I'm more used to smaller ones.

Following now! lol - better late than never! I love the song thing, I've added some things to my playlist already (Imagine Dragons was already on there but more never hurts!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

I'm super duper late, but yay PR's!

I hope the magnesium works!

That was a rather large snake. I'm more used to smaller ones.

Following now! lol - better late than never! I love the song thing, I've added some things to my playlist already (Imagine Dragons was already on there but more never hurts!)

Yay, so glad that you are here!

Down on the scale yesterday and today.  Woot.  Slept okay last night. 

Today's musical selection:

I sometimes change the words to "One Squat More".  :eagerness:  Love, love, love.  So much tragedy.  So much naivety ("every man will be a king" really?)  So much heartbreak.  So much love.  So much beautiful, luscious sound.  [I'll just throw it out there that I am a fan of the London and Broadway versions, and found the screen version visually stunning, with some unfortunate weaknesses *ahem, Russell Crowe, ahem* in the singing, but also some noteworthy strengths (hello, Samantha Barks!).] 

And for the super duper Broadway Nerds among us, this parody sketch is pretty good.  

My plan is to gym at some point today, but I dropped my car off at the shop yesterday, so it depends on either the husband taking me, or the car being ready today. 

• Like 4

I'm here!  Between car trouble, actual presence required on site employment requirements  (super productive, though!  Excited for next year), and preparing to go away for a few days, I haven't been updating.   Much easier to lurk you guys from my phone and avoid lengthy update, too.

Food has been okay. 

Scale has been dancing up and down within a pound. 

I forgot to plan for this vacation - so vacation deload it is!  Planning hikes and walks, though we decided that it's just too darn hot to kayak.

In the car now, on our way to Harper's Ferry. :-)

House sitter is working for eggs, which is nice!   :-)

Oh, I had a bit if a hiissy fit the other day and decided to kick SL to the curb sooner than planned.  If I still feel like that after my vacation,  I will start 531 on August 1 (the fact that the first of the month coincided with a Monday had nothing to do with my decision.  Mostly.)

Oh, put handrails up on the gym and passed inspection!   Yay!

• Like 9