• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly positively rocks

2 hours ago, Traxex said:

i looooooved 531 when i did it. i hope you do too!!

Why did you stop?

Today's Musical Selection:

(I saw them open up for U2 once - Gwen Stefani did one-armed pushups onstage at the end of the song.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Why did you stop?

Long story involving trying to finish my dissertation and putting it on the back burner. Then it took another year or so to get back into lifting! And now I have some serious ranger brain and started doing crossfit. 

so... 

• Like 2

Today's Training, in pounds.  DB weights are per side.

Bench

2 x 5 at 45

2 x 5 at 65

2 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 100

1 x 3 at 115

1 x 3+ at 130 - I did 7! :applause:

DB Row:

3 x 10 at 30

DB OHP

3 x 10 at 25

DB Curlz (like whoa)

3 x 10 at 25

Shadow Boxing Finisher:

2 x 3 minutes (ish) with 2 minute break in between

Didn't Dead Hang or Dip because the gym was full of HS football players working out. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Didn't Dead Hang or Dip because the gym was full of HS football players working out. 

When this happens I almost want to turn around and leave. 

Murder+them+they+ll+never+find+_c3a14172

Awesome job on that bench! Hells yeah!!!! What is your next goal for bench?

• Like 1

7 on a 3 day is really good!

Also, since its your first cycle, I thought I'd take a moment to share my favorite ever 5/3/1 calculator: http://lift.eha-ab.ca/ 

Don't let the freako lookin' short URL scare you. It's legit :lol: 

How to use this site:

Spoiler

You can put your current training maxes in the 1RM box, or (for anybody starting 5/3/1 who doesn't have a training max yet) you can use the boxes to the right to enter your rep maxes, then hit the "=" button to calculate your 1RM and then hit the "90%" button to calculate your training max. If you want to do the "BBB" variation of 5/3/1, check that box. Then hit "calculate four waves" and "download program pdf" to get your personalized 5/3/1 plan in a handy pdf. 

The pdf generated will include a link that will bring you back to the website, with all your info for that cycle remembered, and you simply click the "+5" or "+10" buttons to add weight (or adjust your training max manually), or the "90%" button if you failed and need to deload, and calculate 4 waves again and generate a new pdf. It's the best. <3 

also, if you feel like it, you can enter all your rep maxes for the cycle, it will calculate 1RMs from those, and create a little chart pdf. Stick your original printout back in your printer, and it will print the little 1RM table on the empty lower right corner on your original log. I have a whole binder of these stupid things. Love it. 

tagging @Björn Járnhamar because I know he does 5/3/1 too! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

When this happens I almost want to turn around and leave. 

Awesome job on that bench! Hells yeah!!!! What is your next goal for bench?

They were fine, it was just crowded. 

I don't really have a bench goal right now - 185 lbs would be cool, though. 

1 hour ago, Traxex said:

7 on a 3 day is really good!

Also, since its your first cycle, I thought I'd take a moment to share my favorite ever 5/3/1 calculator: http://lift.eha-ab.ca/ 

Don't let the freako lookin' short URL scare you. It's legit :lol: 

How to use this site:

Reveal hidden contents

You can put your current training maxes in the 1RM box, or (for anybody starting 5/3/1 who doesn't have a training max yet) you can use the boxes to the right to enter your rep maxes, then hit the "=" button to calculate your 1RM and then hit the "90%" button to calculate your training max. If you want to do the "BBB" variation of 5/3/1, check that box. Then hit "calculate four waves" and "download program pdf" to get your personalized 5/3/1 plan in a handy pdf. 

The pdf generated will include a link that will bring you back to the website, with all your info for that cycle remembered, and you simply click the "+5" or "+10" buttons to add weight (or adjust your training max manually), or the "90%" button if you failed and need to deload, and calculate 4 waves again and generate a new pdf. It's the best. <3 

also, if you feel like it, you can enter all your rep maxes for the cycle, it will calculate 1RMs from those, and create a little chart pdf. Stick your original printout back in your printer, and it will print the little 1RM table on the empty lower right corner on your original log. I have a whole binder of these stupid things. Love it. 

Thanks!  :applause:

I chose the most basic version because I wanted freedom to do my own accessories.  So far, I am really enjoying it! 

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

LNS7OU1.gif

Were you at my gym video taping me shadow boxing again? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I chose the most basic version because I wanted freedom to do my own accessories.

That's what I always did! Although I did always do a "main" accessory at about 65% max weight for a total of 20 reps, and 2-3 "body builder" accessories for a total of 30 reps each movement -- these are easy to change up depending on your perceived weaknesses and to avoid boredom.

examples

Spoiler

So for instance on deadlift day I would do conventional for main lift, 65% sumos for main accessory 5x4 or 7x3 or whatever I felt like that day, then glute-ham raises 3x10 and lat pulldowns 3x10 for "body building" my problem areas. 

Another example with your most recent workout: I'd do bench, then OHP at 65% of your max for 4x5, then do your DB rows and curlz at your 3x10. 

Maybe something to think about. But the idea was ~10 heavy reps (that's your basic 5/3/1 depending on the day), 20 "medium" reps and 30 "light" bodybuilding reps for parts that were lagging.  

You kind of get that "training pyramid" effect. I liked it. :) 

On 8/10/2016 at 11:04 AM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

The RDLs at this point are 2x per week accessories, Wendler says do 40% - 50% of your max.

Check out Wendler's other book, Beyond 5/3/1 he gives some more options for accessory/assistance work if you don't feel like being locked into 40-50% of your max

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Traxex said:

That's what I always did! Although I did always do a "main" accessory at about 65% max weight for a total of 20 reps, and 2-3 "body builder" accessories for a total of 30 reps each movement -- these are easy to change up depending on your perceived weaknesses and to avoid boredom.

examples

Reveal hidden contents

So for instance on deadlift day I would do conventional for main lift, 65% sumos for main accessory 5x4 or 7x3 or whatever I felt like that day, then glute-ham raises 3x10 and lat pulldowns 3x10 for "body building" my problem areas. 

Another example with your most recent workout: I'd do bench, then OHP at 65% of your max for 4x5, then do your DB rows and curlz at your 3x10. 

Maybe something to think about. But the idea was ~10 heavy reps (that's your basic 5/3/1 depending on the day), 20 "medium" reps and 30 "light" bodybuilding reps for parts that were lagging.  

You kind of get that "training pyramid" effect. I liked it. :) 

Thanks, that looks very cool!!!

1 hour ago, Björn Járnhamar said:

Check out Wendler's other book, Beyond 5/3/1 he gives some more options for accessory/assistance work if you don't feel like being locked into 40-50% of your max

Thanks - I should have just purchased that one to begin with.  This cycle feels okay for now, but I may eventually need more.  I like Traxex's ideas above, too. 

44 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Thanks, that looks very cool!!!

Thanks - I should have just purchased that one to begin with.  This cycle feels okay for now, but I may eventually need more.  I like Traxex's ideas above, too. 

I may, or may not, have pdf versions of 5/3/1, 2nd edition, and beyond 5/3/1; if someone should happen to need it

Today's Training, in pounds.  All DB weights are per side.

SQUATS

2 x 5 at 45

2 x 5 at 95

1 x 3 at 120

1 x 3 at 140

1 x 3+ at 155 - I did 6

Goblet Squats (I was supposed to do RDL, but didn't wear my leggings, and my gym shorts tend to show the world my undies, so I needed to switch it up)

3 x 10 at 40

Again with the cardio - and I really felt these in my quads.  I may try to figure a way to include these on the reg.  I like them. 

BB Glute Bridge w/o the BB

3 x 10 at BW with 10 second hold at the top

BB Glute thrusts w/o the BB

3 x 10 at BW with 3 second hold at the top

Shadow Boxing

2 x 3 minutes with 2 minute break

not gonna lie, I kinda phoned these in. 

• Like 2

Coincidentally I posted a thriller pic on FB yesterday. I was thinking about it because I got on the commuter bus and it took off before I could sit down and I lurched forward like in thriller. It's a good balance exercise. Physical therapists should prescribe bus rides to work balance muscles!

• Like 3

Not a fan of Michael Jackson, but like this one. Isn't funny how you might not enjoy a band or singer but you know the words to their songs. ABBA is another one, never a fan but can make the boys roll their eyes and groan if I sing along to Dancing Queen or Money, Money! 

I did find it works with cardio or weights! An all rounder you might say :) 

• Like 2

Finished up this challenge with a Nerd Warrior Meet up!

@elvenengineer, @~RedStone~, @Grymm, and I (and two spouses) met up in NJ yesterday for shenanigans and good times.  

Our itinerary was:

Lunch

Old School Arcade (where my muscle memory deserted me on Donkey Kong, but not on Super Mario Bros)

Hanging out at a park

Escape Room (WE GOT OUT!)

Dinner

A good time was had by all.  It was my first time meeting people from the internet, and it was an all around great experience! 

• Like 13

22 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Finished up this challenge with a Nerd Warrior Meet up!

@elvenengineer, @~RedStone~, @Grymm, and I (and two spouses) met up in NJ yesterday for shenanigans and good times.  

Our itinerary was:

Lunch

Old School Arcade (where my muscle memory deserted me on Donkey Kong, but not on Super Mario Bros)

Hanging out at a park

Escape Room (WE GOT OUT!)

Dinner

A good time was had by all.  It was my first time meeting people from the internet, and it was an all around great experience! 

OMG I love it!!! Awesome!

• Like 2