• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly positively rocks

Playing catch up today.  Loving your attitude this challenge.  The new gym looks great, and I did a double-take to see you squatting over 200 pounds.  Amazing!  And I see only more good to come with your new lifting program.  I feel less wimpy knowing strong gals like you can work out with dumbbells and still feel challenged.  Might be something for me to look into as daylight gets shorter.

Ok, and here's final proof I'm a fan-girl.  Pipe cleaner craft for the kiddos - just so happened I made my dragonfly a nice shade of emerald :)

FAbYolu.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

TRUTH!!!!!!

When I get down about a failed set or whatever, I think about how far I have come.  It's pretty amazing what the human body is capable of doing - I had no idea I could come this far.  Who knows how much further I can go?  It's intoxicating to think about, really!  What is the strongest version of me?  I don't know, but I'm going to find out! :-)

1 hour ago, suzyQlou said:

Playing catch up today.  Loving your attitude this challenge.  The new gym looks great, and I did a double-take to see you squatting over 200 pounds.  Amazing!  And I see only more good to come with your new lifting program.  I feel less wimpy knowing strong gals like you can work out with dumbbells and still feel challenged.  Might be something for me to look into as daylight gets shorter.

Ok, and here's final proof I'm a fan-girl.  Pipe cleaner craft for the kiddos - just so happened I made my dragonfly a nice shade of emerald :)

FAbYolu.jpg

Oh, SqL, it's a mutual admiration society, for sure!  You are doing great, yourself!

I've only had 2 workouts, but I am enjoying my new program, so far.  DBs are so versatile!

Your crafty dragonfly is beautiful.  I'm super flattered.  {{{Hug}}}

• Like 4

Today's training session, in pounds.  Percentages are based on my training max, which is 90% of my 1RM.  (So math-y).  I rounded (up mostly) to the nearest easy plate, so the math will be off.  :-)

DL

2 x 5 at 45 RDL

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 5 at 155 (~65%)

1 x 5 at 175 (~75%)

1 x 5 at 185 (~85%) Was supposed to be an AMRAP, but I capped it at 5 b/c my back was rounding (again, darn it). 

Then accessories, db weights are per side.

DB Row

3 x 10 at 30

RDL

3 x 10 at 95

(HOLY CARDIO, Batman).  Not cool, Wendler, not cool. 

(Not yet BB) Hip thrusters

3 x 10 at BW

(Easy enough, but there is NO WAY I am doing these in the weight room, so they will stay BW until I can do them at home.)

Glute Bridge

3 x 10 at BW

(Easy, but see above for no BB reasoning.) 

Finisher:

Shadow Boxing

1 x Tom Petty's "Free Falling"

I wasn't highly energetic and full of myself like yesterday.  But I did it. 

Stretching. 

Also, scale was satisfyingly down this morning.  Yay!

• Like 10

And my musical selection for today; the lyrics always pick me up.  Always. 

(We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way...

live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten)

• Like 2

Are those your own assistance work exercises or are they suggestion from Wendler? I did 5/3/1 between SL and my current program and don't remember any of those so I want to make sure I am not losing it! Didn't see anything in the challenge about accessories so I was curious. I did Boring But Big for a while but as it states its pretty boring. Those accessories seem tough but more interesting than BBB. Nice work on getting through all of that! 

2 minutes ago, Grymm said:

As awkward as the hip adductor machine?

oh-god.jpg

For some reason I want that to be a GIF more than anything right now...

Also, there is a humorous but incredibly NSFW and possibly insulting video from Bro Science/Dom Mazzetti about both the hip abductor machine and hip thrusters. I wont post a link to clutter things up with inappropriate videos but those who want to find it youtube Bro Science Least Alpha Exercises.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Grymm said:

As awkward as the hip adductor machine?

oh-god.jpg

At least other people do that!  Nobody does hip thrusters at my gym.  Nobody.  Although I try not to make that face, no matter what I am doing...:grief:

4 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Are those your own assistance work exercises or are they suggestion from Wendler? I did 5/3/1 between SL and my current program and don't remember any of those so I want to make sure I am not losing it! Didn't see anything in the challenge about accessories so I was curious. I did Boring But Big for a while but as it states its pretty boring. Those accessories seem tough but more interesting than BBB. Nice work on getting through all of that! 

My own.  I'm a unique snowflake, so I am using the original program with the "some name involving curse words" template that I am too lazy to look up right now but is just the 531 main compound lift, 4 day option, & starting percentage.  

Then he has a section of the book where he talks about accessories, but basically says "just choose a few accessories that target your weaknesses and when in doubt, do 3x10.  Don't do too many."  I like the freedom of this approach.  Main compound lift is strictly structured, but I get to design the rest.

Tough?  A bit, but still a faster training session than SL.  The 4th accessory is written in my spreadsheet as 'optional'.  :-)   I also am not sure if my accessory weights are good.  I went with approximately 50% or whatever seemed reasonable.  :abnormal:

4 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

For some reason I want that to be a GIF more than anything right now...

Also, there is a humorous but incredibly NSFW and possibly insulting video from Bro Science/Dom Mazzetti about both the hip abductor machine and hip thrusters. I wont post a link to clutter things up with inappropriate videos but those who want to find it youtube Bro Science Least Alpha Exercises.

Well that's first on the list to google tomorrow morning. :glee:

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Bro science also has a video on how to be a powerlifter that I found oddly accurate.

"You still wanna be a powerlifter? So God help you...Ok I will."

And also the bit about large gym bags and long prelift rituals had me on the floor.

• Like 3

RE: thrusters and bridges. I think you also ended up buying the mini-bands? I found that if I put a mini band just above the knees when doing bridges/thrusts and focusing on pushing out the knees that I get a lot more glute activation and they are harder without having to use a BB. I need to add back in 1/day/week of glute exercises next month of the program, this makes me miss them! I can't do BB hip thrusts because of my transplant so I got creative trying out new things the month of my glute challenge. 

RE: DB bench. How are you setting up for it currently? I do the thing where I set them on my thighs near the knee and then tip back moving the knees up to propel the DBs up towards the start position.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

RE: DB bench. How are you setting up for it currently? I do the thing where I set them on my thighs near the knee and then tip back moving the knees up to propel the DBs up towards the start position.  

I tend to set 'em higher on my thighs (away from the knees) so they've less of a distance to travel and thus are less likely to fall on my face.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Bro Science Least Alpha Exercises.

11 hours ago, Grymm said:

Bro science also has a video on how to be a powerlifter that I found oddly accurate.

Oh, Bro Science...you never disappoint.  They were both funny. 

lolz.

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

RE: thrusters and bridges. I think you also ended up buying the mini-bands? I found that if I put a mini band just above the knees when doing bridges/thrusts and focusing on pushing out the knees that I get a lot more glute activation and they are harder without having to use a BB. I need to add back in 1/day/week of glute exercises next month of the program, this makes me miss them! I can't do BB hip thrusts because of my transplant so I got creative trying out new things the month of my glute challenge. 

I forgot about using the mini bands for them - I used them for clamshells (which I also will not do in the weight room!).  I will try them on Friday - thanks!

I set up DB bench the same way, but had trouble setting my back properly while at the same time tipping back.  Then I remembered after the first few reps and, well, it wasn't pretty.  I'll work on them next time.  Maybe set my back before and after tipping back...

Today's musical selection:

• Like 2

Dimmel deadlifts are another great thing to be doing in public. At least you're standing up for those, I do hate hip thrusts because of awkwardness, and feels so vulnerable being on the floor.

on mobile

• Like 1

Today's training session, in pounds.  All DB weights are per side.  Percentages of training max (90% of 1RM).  Rounded using made up rules to (sometimes) nearest plate.

Bench:

2 x 5 at 45

2 x 5 at 65

1 x 5 at 95 (65%)

1 x 5 at 110 (75%)

1 x 5 at 125 (85%)

***I forgot this was supposed to be an AMRAP set.  I had more in me, for sure.  Darn it. ***

DB OHP

3 x 10 at 25

Dead Hang

3 x unknown time.  Maybe 15 seconds each. 

Curlz (like whoa)

3 x 10 at 25

Dips

3 x 10 at HAHAHAHAHa.  Um, no. 

I tried them.  I am unable to do a BW dip, and we do not have an assistance machine.  So I did them with my own feet assisting, but that seems like a poor way to progress.  How will I know if I am providing less assistance?  Also, the way that the station is set up, my feet are up, so I am in a terrible, knees in squat position.  Will research to see what to do about this.

Shadow Boxing

1 x the length of "Warrior" by Imagine Dragons. 

I went all out today and wore out my lungs.  Good grief. 

Oh, I have been doing pushups, but haven't been writing it up. 

Today's musical selection.  Some language.  I have not seen the movie that this version of the music video is advertising, but the bit at the 2:52 mark makes me want to. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Dips

3 x 10 at HAHAHAHAHa.  Um, no. 

I tried them.  I am unable to do a BW dip, and we do not have an assistance machine.  So I did them with my own feet assisting, but that seems like a poor way to progress.  How will I know if I am providing less assistance?  Also, the way that the station is set up, my feet are up, so I am in a terrible, knees in squat position.  Will research to see what to do about this.

I cant do dips either. BW too high for shoulders and tris to handle. Not sure what your access to getting assistance bands are but using those to do assisted dips similarly to assisted pullups(#1 on following link. I personally just do dips like number 3 at home on a chair or at the gym on a bench. http://www.kingofthegym.com/dip-variations/

• Like 2

Assistance bands suck as much for dips as they do for pull-ups (in my sometimes not so humble opinion).. we do see great progress with the feet-assisted dips. It's harder to measure, but it'll be there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Assistance bands suck as much for dips as they do for pull-ups (in my sometimes not so humble opinion).. we do see great progress with the feet-assisted dips. It's harder to measure, but it'll be there. 

Dip-Station---Zoom.jpg

This is our dip station (or close enough).  I put my feet up on the top metal part (maybe a foot or so off the floor), but that means that my knees have to track in - a lot.  Is that okay?  I guess that I am supporting about half my BW on my feet.  My knees are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of plane from my feet. 

It's not ideal.... maybe you can put a small bench over that part so you can have a slightly less wide stance?

It's hard to judge wether it'd still be safe to do without seeing it on video or something.

• Like 1

Can you put your feet up on a heavy dumbbell(S)? I guess I have no idea what your dumbbells look like. Ours are very flat and can be set upright and don't move. Or look around and see what other fun things your gym has that you could use to get your feet sticking out less. 

• Like 1