• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald_Dragonfly

Emerald_Dragonfly positively rocks

Just catching up after a few wacky days!

How about bench dips? There's a ton of ways you can adjust those as you progress, and you should be able to really focus on feeling those tris without being distracted with the rest of the logistics :D 

• Like 2

Today's training:

Squat

2 x 5 at 45

2 x 5 at 95

1 x 5 at 115

1 x 5 at 135

1 x 5+ at 150 - I lost count, but it was either 7 or 8.  I really think 8, but I wrote 7 in my log as punishment for not paying attention.  ;-)

RDL

3 x 10 at 95

still cardio.  embarrassingly so. 

Glute bridges

3 x 10 at BW (Forgot the bands, drat)

thrusters

3 x 10 at bw

my ipod was dead, so no tunes.  So.  Much.  Bro Science flying around.  Goodness. 

I did a shadow boxing finisher, but with no clock and no ipod, I'm guessing 2 or 3 minutes?  Ish? 

Today's Musical selection comes from my favorite non-nerd television show musical episode.  Don't judge me. 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

How does one do a bodyweight thruster? Did you use a PVC or something?

I clearly didn't know what a thruster was. Now I do. Thanks google. 

24 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I clearly didn't know what a thruster was. Now I do. Thanks google. 

"Thrusters" a bold phrase to just go out and google. Hope you added something lifting related otherwise you may have seen some strange results.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

"Thrusters" a bold phrase to just go out and google. Hope you added something lifting related otherwise you may have seen some strange results.

"thruster exercise"

Nothing traumatic, which is a rare google win. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

How does one do a bodyweight thruster? Did you use a PVC or something?

Perhaps I am using the wrong term?  I am doing glute thrusters and glute bridges.  They look like the same basic exercise, but the thruster has the shoulders on the ground and the bridge has the shoulders on the bench. You may as well call me Jon Snow, though...because clearly I know nothing.  :abnormal:  When I googled thruster, to see what the confusion was, I saw a whole other thing also called thrusters (a crossfit thing, maybe?) that is not what I am doing at all. 

I am calling this a thruster:

DSC00271.jpg

and this a bridge:

hipthruststopp1.jpg

I am probably wrong. 

Ah ok that makes sense. I took it as the crossfit style thruster which is a combination front squat and push press which wouldnt be possible with just body weight

4 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

They look like the same basic exercise, but the thruster has the shoulders on the ground and the bridge has the shoulders on the bench.

You have them backwards!! "Glute bridge" is on the ground, "hip thrust" is with shoulders on the bench. :D

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Perhaps I am using the wrong term?  I am doing glute thrusters and glute bridges.  They look like the same basic exercise, but the thruster has the shoulders on the ground and the bridge has the shoulders on the bench. You may as well call me Jon Snow, though...because clearly I know nothing.  :abnormal:  When I googled thruster, to see what the confusion was, I saw a whole other thing also called thrusters (a crossfit thing, maybe?) that is not what I am doing at all. 

DSC00271.jpg

and this a bridge:

hipthruststopp1.jpg

I am probably wrong. 

Gotcha!!!! What I typically know as a Thruster is a combo of like a front squat + push press. Not exactly but that is the best way I can describe it.

But HEEYYY!!! You do you! :)

24 minutes ago, Traxex said:

You have them backwards!! "Glute bridge" is on the ground, "hip thrust" is with shoulders on the bench. :D

Second this!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

DSC00271.jpg

and this a bridge:

hipthruststopp1.jpg

I am probably wrong. 

This is what I thought you meant originally, that you were referring to two kinds of bridging and not the crossfit thing at all, which is why I suggested bands for both. Wearing bands around your knees for a crossfit thruster would be insane. 

So we both knew nothing. And I'm not insane. 

• Like 1

Today's Training.  In pounds. Db weights are per side.

OHP

2 x 5 at 45

2 x 5 at 65

1 x 3 at 75

1 x 3 at 85

1 x 3+ at 95 - I got 6 with good form! :applause:

Deadhang

15 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec

DB Bench

3 x 10 at 25

(Better this time - the DB bench is higher than the BB bench.  I put my feet on 10 lb plates, that seemed to help a bit).

Curlz (like whoa)

3 x 10 at 25

(My left side is weak like little child)

Shadow Boxing Finisher

1 x length of "Live like a Warrior"

Rest - 3 minutes

1 x length of "Pump It"

Lots and lots of arm stretches. 

Did not DB Row today, because I realized that I should not be doing that two days in a row.  D'oh.  Will find another optional arm exercise or just stick to the above for Mondays.  With my new split set-up, I think that Mondays are my fave. 

Today's musical selection:

• Like 6

I like glute bridges for mobility :D One of these days I'll maybe start thinking about adding some possible weight. Maybe. 

LOL on curls yo, I def have a dominant side too. No reason you can't train them differently for the sake of symmetry! 

OMG OHP you are such a beast! Queen of the OHP!!! 

4QotXwG.gif

7 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I like glute bridges for mobility :D One of these days I'll maybe start thinking about adding some possible weight. Maybe. 

LOL on curls yo, I def have a dominant side too. No reason you can't train them differently for the sake of symmetry! 

OMG OHP you are such a beast! Queen of the OHP!!! 

It's strange - the left side is my non-dominant side to begin with, but also the nerve damaged side.  I wouldn't think that lower body nerve damage would have much impact in the upper body - but maybe.  It's significantly weaker.  Visibly so, actually.  It's one of the reasons that I left SL early.  I can feel the right side working harder than the left, I need some DB work to make that left side do its share. 

Thank you.  I heart OHP.  Lots of pressers pressing heavy - Our strongman ladies are awesome. 

I'm not the queen - I just like it. 

I-love-it-gif.gif?gs=a

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

It's strange - the left side is my non-dominant side to begin with, but also the nerve damaged side.  I wouldn't think that lower body nerve damage would have much impact in the upper body - but maybe.  It's significantly weaker.  Visibly so, actually.  It's one of the reasons that I left SL early.  I can feel the right side working harder than the left, I need some DB work to make that left side do its share. 

My left arm is weaker from surgeries. When I do DB row I always start with the weaker arm and then just do those same amount of reps with the stronger arm, in an effort to try and even them out. This way the weaker arm is driving progress, in hopes of creating a balance!

I should also be doing 1 arm curls, but I really really like doing them with the 30# straight bar. It's way easier to make progressions, especially now that I bought those 1.25# plates. 

• Like 2

Today's Training session, in pounds.  DB weights are per side. 

Deadlift

1 x 5 at 45 RDL

2 x 5 at 135

1 x 3 at 170

1 x 3 at 180

1 x 3+ at 190 -  I did 5

DB Rows

3 x 10 at 30

(Easy peasy)

RDL

3 x 10 at 95

still cardio

Glute Bridge

3 x 10 at BW

forgot the bands again (well, put them in my gym bag and then forgot the gym bag) so held the last of each set for 10 seconds.  That did the trick, felt that last one for sure!

Didn't feel like shadow boxing, so did 10 minute finisher on the treadmill at 4.5 incline for most of it, focused hard on the left glute. 

Today's muscial selection:

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Today's Training session, in pounds.  DB weights are per side. 

Deadlift

1 x 5 at 45 RDL

2 x 5 at 135

1 x 3 at 170

1 x 3 at 180

1 x 3+ at 190 -  I did 5

DB Rows

3 x 10 at 30

(Easy peasy)

RDL

3 x 10 at 95

still cardio

Glute Bridge

3 x 10 at BW

forgot the bands again (well, put them in my gym bag and then forgot the gym bag) so held the last of each set for 10 seconds.  That did the trick, felt that last one for sure!

Didn't feel like shadow boxing, so did 10 minute finisher on the treadmill at 4.5 incline for most of it, focused hard on the left glute. 

Looking strong! I'm still trying to get that RDL form down. It irritated my SI joint last time, but I don't think I was holding the bar wide enough because I set it up in the preacher curl rack because the whole deadlift/squat area was packed. Any reason you can't up the weight on yours? I did mine at 90# last week, so I'm sure you can do more! I stopped at 8 reps because of the joint pain. 

Digging all these RDLs! May need to cycle that in next round for hamstring hyper, get away from the curl machine for a bit lol :D And OMG I love Iz's version of that song, listening to it on repeat now!!! <3 <3 <3

• Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 10:24 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

My left arm is weaker from surgeries. When I do DB row I always start with the weaker arm and then just do those same amount of reps with the stronger arm, in an effort to try and even them out. This way the weaker arm is driving progress, in hopes of creating a balance!

I do the same thing with DB rows. 

This is my first time curling (like whoa); I am doing alternating arms to give the active arm a tiny rest. 

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Looking strong! I'm still trying to get that RDL form down. It irritated my SI joint last time, but I don't think I was holding the bar wide enough because I set it up in the preacher curl rack because the whole deadlift/squat area was packed. Any reason you can't up the weight on yours? I did mine at 90# last week, so I'm sure you can do more! I stopped at 8 reps because of the joint pain. 

The RDLs at this point are 2x per week accessories, Wendler says do 40% - 50% of your max.  So, while I could go higher (this weight is closer to 35% of my max), with the form trouble that I am having, and with the outright cardio this feels like, and with the way my grip feels on these...well, 95 pounds is good for now!  :-)  I will up them next cycle to 105, probably.  2.5 more weeks of 95 lb RDL should really help with my form, I hope. 

I do have to check my ego, though - I found myself feeling like I wanted to up it to 135, but really, I need to do the work at a weight that is helpful, not one that will reinforce back rounding.  I think that my form would begin to falter around rep 7 or 8 with 135 lbs, so...for now...95.  :abnormal:  :ambivalence:  :eagerness:

3 hours ago, Traxex said:

I'm officially jelly. How many cycles have you been running 5/3/1?

This is my first cycle!! I just started on 8/1.  I had been doing SL since November/2015. 

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Digging all these RDLs! May need to cycle that in next round for hamstring hyper, get away from the curl machine for a bit lol :D And OMG I love Iz's version of that song, listening to it on repeat now!!! <3 <3 <3

My hamstrings are weak and tight like old man. 

Love Iz.  This world is better for having had him. 

Edited by Emerald_Dragonfly
silly numbers
  • Like 1