• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

theodinspire

The Courtyard (Monks' General Chat)

Recommended Posts

It's not for me. I'm too poor for the data, and also, the place where I walk is outside of service. And my phone is just generally lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kishi said:

It's not for me. I'm too poor for the data, and also, the place where I walk is outside of service. And my phone is just generally lame.

 

Booooooooo. I just restarted my account because of the vast amount of data that it can have access too, but the new email is great: StGeorgeandtheDragonite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Teirin said:

Not available in Canada yet...  I installed Ingress instead.

IMO, Pokémon GO is just an overlay to Ingress. It is the same company, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just used the data and background logic to make the game.

We're lacking in posts here. The Warriors have 2000+ posts and we've got 22. OTL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Teirin said:

I think they just move their main chat thread through to the next forum each time :-)

 

^This

 

 

They are slackers who just make it LOOK like they are active.

 

Also I'm level 9.  And Team Mystic.  And really, really should be glad I lost my job so I could keep playing the game ALL OF THE TIME.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2016 at 1:39 PM, neomattlac said:

IMO, Pokémon GO is just an overlay to Ingress. It is the same company, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just used the data and background logic to make the game.

We're lacking in posts here. The Warriors have 2000+ posts and we've got 22. OTL

 

My husband used to play ingress and he said its really similar, even where the stops are. 

 

3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Also I'm level 9.  And Team Mystic.  And really, really should be glad I lost my job so I could keep playing the game ALL OF THE TIME.

 

Go team Mystic. 

 

With all the Pokemon stuff, I feel so out of place, never played it when I was younger, so when we both get home from work I'm always like "oo today i caught the one that looks like a ball of blue spaghetti" instead of actually knowing any of the names. But they say fake it till you make it, works with Pokemon too right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, Toshimi said:

 

My husband used to play ingress and he said its really similar, even where the stops are. 

 

 

Go team Mystic. 

 

With all the Pokemon stuff, I feel so out of place, never played it when I was younger, so when we both get home from work I'm always like "oo today i caught the one that looks like a ball of blue spaghetti" instead of actually knowing any of the names. But they say fake it till you make it, works with Pokemon too right?

You got a Tangela?! Aw. I want one... I'm actually surprised I haven't found one yet, with the amount of grass/poison types I've gotten (and so many pidgeys/rattatas).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, neomattlac said:

You got a Tangela?! Aw. I want one... I'm actually surprised I haven't found one yet, with the amount of grass/poison types I've gotten (and so many pidgeys/rattatas).

 

We get a lot of Pidgeys and Rattatas, Also a lot of Enkans. I just happened to bring up the app while I was waiting at a job site and found the Tangela 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have my challenge nailed down yet, but I just found a flyer for combat jujitsu IN THIS TOWN. Do you know how long it's been since I lived in a town that had martial arts classes actually IN that town?! And I only live 9 miles outside of town for a change. The last time I was able to actually take a class, I had to drive 39 miles for it. And that's one of the shorter drives.

To add to that excitement, I also found out that the hospital sponsors a community center that has a FREE GYM with free weights and different classes! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

I don't have my challenge nailed down yet, but I just found a flyer for combat jujitsu IN THIS TOWN. Do you know how long it's been since I lived in a town that had martial arts classes actually IN that town?! And I only live 9 miles outside of town for a change. The last time I was able to actually take a class, I had to drive 39 miles for it. And that's one of the shorter drives.

To add to that excitement, I also found out that the hospital sponsors a community center that has a FREE GYM with free weights and different classes! 

Nice! Go for it!

It's like finding rare items in a game, or going back through a game and finding an area you didn't see yet. You can explore the area, and find new monsters (mini quests, objectives, challenges, and obstacles), maybe even a boss battle (major quest, lifestyle change, or a new component to life). Maybe you'll even get an epic loot drop (new equipment, job, routine, or opportunity)!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

How's everyone's day one ending?

 

Cuz yea. Apparently today was day 1 

Terrible, in terms of it being day one. Ate a lot of crap, bad posture, didn't workout, etc. Plus, I've got a headache. Based on where it is, I would say working out would be a bad idea. However, now that I've got it in my head, I want to go to the gym... it's almost 11pm... I can't go tomorrow, as I have a stress test and they said no caffeine, workouts, nor food before it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there, Monks!

 

tumblr_npt0e3xiIA1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Spectacular entrance: Nailed it

 

I've been a silent stalker of your part of the interwebz for a while now, probably since that Street Fighter mini challenge. Despite my rangerly urge to do ALL the things, I have minimal experience with anything fight-related (as in, only a couple of months doing kickboxing back in my teenage years). Few years ago I researched Krav Maga, but was put off by the "neo-nazi bouncer criminal" atmosphere/focus/people of all the schools I visited. This spring however, I followed my KM-practicing gf to a weekend camp

Spoiler


That... didn't work out as badass as expected

 

 

Despite seeing that the paradigm has shifted at last, I can say that while the no-BS effectiveness of KM is impressive, I'd prefer to try out something more sport/martial arts-y as opposed to a self defense system. There's a great looking Muay Thai dojo right next door to where I live and I'm thinking of giving it a shot. That said, it felt appropriate to say hi at last. Hope you don't mind me sticking around for a while.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Hello there, Monks!

 

Despite seeing that the paradigm has shifted at last, I can say that while the no-BS effectiveness of KM is impressive, I'd prefer to try out something more sport/martial arts-y as opposed to a self defense system. There's a great looking Muay Thai dojo right next door to where I live and I'm thinking of giving it a shot. That said, it felt appropriate to say hi at last. Hope you don't mind me sticking around for a while.

Muay Thai is fantastic. Tai Chi is excellent as well, despite it's initial appearance. The ability to shift someone's energy against them is terrifyingly effective. Muay Thai, on the other hand, is focused of precise strikes. Krav Maga is focused on removing the opponent from play, possibly permanently. Due to my issues with "pulling punches" (I like to go full force or barely there), I refuse to learn it. I'd rather not kill someone. Yes, a real practitioner of Krav Maga is that dangerous.

Boxing will teach you to dodge effectively, predict your opponent, and strike with power.

Karate will teach you to be stable, protect yourself, and hold the opponent off, regardless of size.

Judo will get you into a position to stop a fight via knockout or submission (most people will stop fighting if they can't move).

BJJ is the same as judo, but you add more strikes.

Hm... What other arts are there?

 

Since there's a Muay Thai place, start there, try it out, and let me know what you think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Hello there, Monks!

 

tumblr_npt0e3xiIA1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Spectacular entrance: Nailed it

 

I've been a silent stalker of your part of the interwebz for a while now, probably since that Street Fighter mini challenge. Despite my rangerly urge to do ALL the things, I have minimal experience with anything fight-related (as in, only a couple of months doing kickboxing back in my teenage years). Few years ago I researched Krav Maga, but was put off by the "neo-nazi bouncer criminal" atmosphere/focus/people of all the schools I visited. This spring however, I followed my KM-practicing gf to a weekend camp

  Hide contents

 

That... didn't work out as badass as expected

 

 

Despite seeing that the paradigm has shifted at last, I can say that while the no-BS effectiveness of KM is impressive, I'd prefer to try out something more sport/martial arts-y as opposed to a self defense system. There's a great looking Muay Thai dojo right next door to where I live and I'm thinking of giving it a shot. That said, it felt appropriate to say hi at last. Hope you don't mind me sticking around for a while.

 

t7FMIdj.gif

 

Man, I forgot about the Street Fighter Mini Challenge we did.  That's impressive stalking, since that was, what, a year ago?  Have other guilds started back up with Mini challenges yet even with the shorter challenges?  I kinda want to start thinking of those things again now...

 

As for the martial artsy things, I'd argue they are ALL self defensish, despite some being billed as "more" self defense worthy than others.  It's bull, but I digress.  The martial arts-part of your preference is really attitude, more than style.  It's a training perspective, rather than a stylistic-specific one.  Best example I can give is in Tai Chi.  You can have the flowing, zen, flowery Tai Chi classes (the ones older people take - not that I'm knocking that at all), but if you look you can also find very martially minded Tai Chi, which is as much about the flow of the movements as it is about unbalancing an opponent with those movements.  Both are Tai Chi, but how you approach it will change what you get out of it.

 

3 hours ago, neomattlac said:

Muay Thai is fantastic. Tai Chi is excellent as well, despite it's initial appearance. The ability to shift someone's energy against them is terrifyingly effective. Muay Thai, on the other hand, is focused of precise strikes. Krav Maga is focused on removing the opponent from play, possibly permanently. Due to my issues with "pulling punches" (I like to go full force or barely there), I refuse to learn it. I'd rather not kill someone. Yes, a real practitioner of Krav Maga is that dangerous.

Boxing will teach you to dodge effectively, predict your opponent, and strike with power.

Karate will teach you to be stable, protect yourself, and hold the opponent off, regardless of size.

Judo will get you into a position to stop a fight via knockout or submission (most people will stop fighting if they can't move).

BJJ is the same as judo, but you add more strikes.

Hm... What other arts are there?

 

Since there's a Muay Thai place, start there, try it out, and let me know what you think.

 

I'd argue any martial artist is quite capable of being dangerous.  The upfront-violent ones will proudly boast that fact, while the softer ones will smile and nod.... and then break your neck. (Personal Bias Disclaimer: I practice aikido.  The art everyone talks about how soft and ineffective it is.  Except they negate that someone who doesn't practice the art will get thrown just as easily as the person who does, except they don't know how to take a fall.  And will probably fall on their neck.  Odds of them getting back up?  Veeeeery little.)

 

Anyway, these are all good suggestions.  But really just find out what's around you, and then go check out a class or two.  Maybe try them if allowed.  Ask all the questions.  See how people react to one another.  See what makes you go "Woah - that's fucking AWESOME."  Then dive in.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the welcome.

 

On 18/7/2016 at 4:03 PM, neomattlac said:

Since there's a Muay Thai place, start there, try it out, and let me know what you think.

I will! Thanks for dropping that list, although it's not like I'm really trying to decide what to do, it's more about actually pulling the trigger and doing it. In general, I'd say I'm more attracted by the athletic/competitive nature of things like MT, BJJ and MMA in general as opposed to the more flowery/philosophical take on eastern martial arts or the technical approach of doing kata on one's own.

 

On 18/7/2016 at 7:25 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Man, I forgot about the Street Fighter Mini Challenge we did.  That's impressive stalking, since that was, what, a year ago?  Have other guilds started back up with Mini challenges yet even with the shorter challenges?  I kinda want to start thinking of those things again now...

I've been running the Ranger minis for a while and meant to do a SF themed one but you folks beat me to it by a challenge round, then it felt like I'd really be ripping you off. We (Rangers) keep doing the minis and after taking a long break from running them, I'm doing a Warcraft-themed mini this round. Feel free to check it out, it's open to other guilds as well.

 

On 18/7/2016 at 7:25 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

As for the martial artsy things, I'd argue they are ALL self defensish, despite some being billed as "more" self defense worthy than others.  It's bull, but I digress.  The martial arts-part of your preference is really attitude, more than style.  It's a training perspective, rather than a stylistic-specific one.  Best example I can give is in Tai Chi.  You can have the flowing, zen, flowery Tai Chi classes (the ones older people take - not that I'm knocking that at all), but if you look you can also find very martially minded Tai Chi, which is as much about the flow of the movements as it is about unbalancing an opponent with those movements.  Both are Tai Chi, but how you approach it will change what you get out of it.

Agreed. Same thing with dancing vs fighting oriented capoeira and even outside martial arts (meditative vs flexy stretchy vs power yoga for example). What I'm saying is that KM is about training, sparring and taking exams; unless you actually need to use it in a real life scenario, there's not much actual fight in it. Much like @neomattlac, I'm not a big fan of pulling my punches. The MT dojo has a ring inside and its athletes compete in the occasional bout. Although I'm not aiming for that, it's more me, y'know? Speaking of which...

 

On 18/7/2016 at 7:25 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

See what makes you go "Woah - that's fucking AWESOME."

Crossfit has been that for me (I'm a Ranger at heart). I'd argue that the competitive atmosphere of a box and my experience from CF events has trickled down into my approach, as displayed in the previous paragraph :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved the more continuous threads over to the new challenge forum finally.  So if people have some questions about food, meditation, or sleep they want answered, feel free to check those stable threads out and ask questions!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2016 at 3:38 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Crossfit has been that for me (I'm a Ranger at heart). I'd argue that the competitive atmosphere of a box and my experience from CF events has trickled down into my approach, as displayed in the previous paragraph

 

Well, and you know, if that's the case, you might want to check whether any of the Boxes where you are have any martial affiliate schools. It's an arrangement I've seen more than once. But then again, if you got a place right there that just makes you go yes, then, well. That's kinda where you have to go, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.