» shaarawy studies a bit more tactically [ishgard]

shaar

HI GUYS!!  Welcome to my... what, 16th challenge here??  HOLY SNACKS.  I honestly think I've lost count. Eep~

At any rate I’m clearly still on an FFXIV kick so for this challenge, welcome to the snowy city-state of Ishgard.

ffxiv_07102016_123821.jpg

This challenge is a little different from previous of mine in that the activity level has a bit of a different focus... I’m going to be doing a lot of tracking, logging, data-mining, and habit observing this go-around.  Of course my regular fitness will still take place in the background! (And on my first quest!)  Ishgard is as tactical as it is strong, so it seemed like a perfectly themed place to set up shop.

So honestly the best job class to complete my quests would be Scholar, but I have leveled ZERO of Scholar so I’m going to take a smidge of liberty here and let ASTROLOGIAN head off this challenge!!! AST is based in Ishgard and there are lots of opportunities for research and higher learning in the city.  I’ve named each quest after one of the Astrologian’s buff cards (similar to tarot cards), and am ready to dig into some studies...

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

(witness; me making use of my $9.99/mo Adobe Creative Cloud suite~)

The Bole - Deadlift Progression

A long time ago in a land far away (like last year?) I managed to seriously twang my lower back while deadlifting.  It was a combination of lack of skill, too much weight too fast, and a traditionally weak lower back that all contributed to the sadness.  Since then I’ve shied away from any sort of deadlift because it really skeeved me out. (Aside: I also am of the long legged/short armed variety, which set me up for a little of a disadvantage anyway, positioning was always a little tenuous.)

Slowly but surely I’ve been kind of excelling at one legged Romanian Deadlifts - I’m up to 50lbs right now with zero signs of low back strain or fatigue. I realized a week or so ago that I’m progressing really well with these because even when I started with around 25-30lbs, it would put a serious strain on my lower back.  These days it’s still very taxing, but not in a painful way at all.  SCORE!

In the spirit of being a Very Careful Person (tm), I’ve decided to (gently) run with this knowledge and add some other drills to my workouts that will help me prepare for deadlifts in a future challenge.  So, I will work on:

• Hip Hinges & Thrusts

• Romanian Deadlifts (Barbell)

• Dumbbell Deadlifts

• Rack Pulls - MAYBE - I have read serious conflicting information on the validity of these so I’m not sure if I’ll be adding them quite yet. More research!

This list may change or vary as I research more over Zero Week but I aim to complete 8 sessions of this over the next 4 weeks - one heavier session at the gym and one lighter at home, since I have dumbbells - and see where it takes me. (And how much Tiger Balm I need to use.)

A - 8 sessions of DL Progression completed

B - 6-7 sessions of DL Progression completed

C - <6 sessions of DL Progression completed

The Balance - Food Tracking

It’s time to start tracking my food intake again.  (Insert non-enthused ‘yaaaaay’ here~)  According to MFP the last time I tracked anything ended around February-ish?  I’m not a person that can track my intake for 6+ months at a time, it makes me twitchy, and I get a little overwhelmed and unhappy with it and it’s just not good for my overall well being.  So I track on and off in the hopes that the ‘on’ phase will help me get a good handle on the values of the things I’m eating, and help me make smart choices when I’m ‘off’.

So I’ve been ‘off’ for a while and it’s definitely time to start again.  No numbers to hit, no goals or macros to meet, just log everything for 4 weeks to see where I’m at, and use the data to decide where I need to improve.

The caveat is that I won’t have MFP on my phone (this actually makes it less stressful for me!) and I’ll need to log my daily food from the desktop.  Deal?  Deal.

A - 4 weeks logged

B - 3-4 weeks logged

C - Less than 3 weeks logged

loic002.png

The Ewer - Limit Alcohol

So I don’t drink a ton but it’s enough lately to really give me some gently unpleasant side effects such as - shittier sleep! - gently expanding waistline! - crappy skin! - feeling like a bloaty slug! - etc.  I’ll maybe have 3-4 beers weekly now but I SERIOUSLY need to cut that back.  I know I can, I don’t crave beer like I used to, and I’ve done this before and I can do it again.

Limiting myself to 6 drinks over the course of 4 weeks.  This one is sink or swim with zero middle ground.  Easy, right?...

A - 6 or less drinks

F - More than 6 drinks

The Spire - Managing Gil

It’s time for me to sit down and take a long hard look at my financials and get my shit in order!  I’m at a point now with my 32h/week job that I take in more than I expend, which is good.  However, I really need to tighten the bootstraps and make my money work for me, instead of just -thinking- I know what’s going on.  While I’m actively looking for something full-time I’ve decided that, when/if that does happen it’ll be great, but right now I need to start doing more to improve my current financial situation instead of... you know, just waiting.

I’ll be utilizing You Need A Budget and MAKING EVERY DOLLAR COUNT.  My biggest goal right now is to just be able to visualize how my money is working for me and get a little more aggressive with saving and paying some stuff down. (Luckily my credit card right now is 0% APR until April, which helps LOADS.)

Oddly enough I’m STUPID EXCITED about this one and giving this system a go, as I’ve heard awesome things about it, and even reading it all over gets me hype.  Again, I’m just tracking and gathering data for 4 weeks and using the results to see what kind of position I'm really in.

A - Tracked financials for 4 weeks

F - Tracked financials for <4 weeks

BONUS QUEST!

The Spear - Space Management

GUYS I AM IN MY NEW VERY OWN COMPUTER ROOM!!!  I’m so flippin’ excited, it’s so spacious and the lighting is lovely and I feel so chill and calm and happyyyyy~  Kell and I effectively each have our own “hobby rooms” now and we both are LOVING our new spaces!

What this means for me is that I need to CLEAN. My room previously was storage, and still is to some extent, but now it’s up to me to go through the clutter in here and downsize/clean it up.  Also get some shelves and my corkboard up on the walls, and some pictures I’ve been meaning to hang.

This won’t be graded, but I’ll be posting photos and talking about it as I go, so yay!

I THINK THAT'S ALL!??! I'm excited because these are all things I need to work on and will help to set a foundation (Ishgardian pun intended) for future endeavors. Let's gooooo~!!

• Like 10

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Another great challenge, following again.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Stalking umm, following again!  You have some good solid goals, there.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Another great challenge, following again.

HOORAY, EXCELLENT to have you along!! :D

31 minutes ago, Rinna said:

Stalking umm, following again!  You have some good solid goals, there.  Good luck!

OHAI <3  I'm hoping I get some good research done here!!

8 minutes ago, Atrytone said:

I'm following generally for awesomeness, specifically for gil management.

Oh man gil management.... I think I've subconsciously put it off for a LONG time?!   Blech.  Time to hold myself accountable...!

• Like 2

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

1 minute ago, shaarawy said:

Oh man gil management.... I think I've subconsciously put it off for a LONG time?!   Blech.  Time to hold myself accountable...!

I'm with you. I'm trying to move out, pay off student loans, and save for the future. :P So financial planning is something I'm starting to get kinda serious about.

• Like 1

Starting Weight:     220lbs

Current Weight:     230lbs

Goal Weight:            150lbs

Reboot 2: Perfectionism Horse

Reboot 1: Charity Masquerade Wheel II Wheel Triumphant Present Stumbles

Past Challenges: 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Following for all the Shaar goodness! Good luck on all the budgeting-it definitely helps with those last few days before pay day when we budgeted correctly :)

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

25 minutes ago, Atrytone said:

I'm with you. I'm trying to move out, pay off student loans, and save for the future. :P So financial planning is something I'm starting to get kinda serious about.

Oof, good luck!  It is hard... but we can do it!

18 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

Following for all the Shaar goodness! Good luck on all the budgeting-it definitely helps with those last few days before pay day when we budgeted correctly :)

Wolf

YEAH!!!  That's awesome to hear man, definitely what I'm looking to accomplish too!

In other news, todays best job hunt find - managing a crematory!!!!!

Having visions of...

tumblr_m42v15uDjA1rw30hro1_500.gif

zombies.gif

dancing-to-thriller_700.gif

Apparently our local postal service is hiring, I think I'll stick to that, HONESTLY DELIVERING MAIL SOUNDS PRETTY DOPE LIKE I get to walk and deliver letters?!!!?!?  Like I can walk around all day outside??!!!?  And drive one of those little square trucks?? AND HAVE A MAILBAG!??!!?!?!

delivery_moogle_by_chocolate_rebel-d8735

YEAH THERE I AM

• Like 4

»  kom starkru

Following, as per always!

Note on rack pulls: an exercise for those who can't pull heavy enough to get stronger and recover sufficiently to pull again in a timely fashion. Paired with halting deadlifts to train the full movement with two exercises. Not something you need yet~

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

3 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Following, as per always!

Note on rack pulls: an exercise for those who can't pull heavy enough to get stronger and recover sufficiently to pull again in a timely fashion. Paired with halting deadlifts to train the full movement with two exercises. Not something you need yet~

BAM.  Knowledge dropped.  I always know I can count on you to bring The Facts.

I was able to do barbell RDL's at 55lbs today with a good ROM (and no strugglebus) so hooray!

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

4 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

BAM.  Knowledge dropped.  I always know I can count on you to bring The Facts.

I was able to do barbell RDL's at 55lbs today with a good ROM (and no strugglebus) so hooray!

Excellent. Another minor point, be sure to do the fullest ROM exercise first (the DB DLs or RDLs), so you work the most muscle when it's freshest for the highest quality gains. Just making sure, I imagine your list wasn't necessarily in order of execution. 

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

What a great challenge! I'm excited to follow along! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

50 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Excellent. Another minor point, be sure to do the fullest ROM exercise first (the DB DLs or RDLs), so you work the most muscle when it's freshest for the highest quality gains. Just making sure, I imagine your list wasn't necessarily in order of execution. 

Sweeet, I had a feeling I'd do them right off the bat, like compound lifts.  List was definitely very randomized, and all won't be done on the same day too!

13 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

What a great challenge! I'm excited to follow along! 

I'm excited to HAVE YOU FOLLOWING ALONG <3!!  Hooray~~

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

tumblr_n4apmqsvvr1rjiodyo3_r1_250.gif

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

44 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

tumblr_n4apmqsvvr1rjiodyo3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_njpy6zj5by1tq4of6o1_500.gif

32 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Following along. As another " Very Careful Person (tm) " I've started looking into alternate deadlifts to avoid hurting myself

I swear my motto is Better Safe Than Sorry.  I'm LOADS of fun at parties............

We can do The Thing in our own way, yes!! :D

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

d0b14014c6932fe77af056b5b3eb6193.jpg

Wahaaa, MailShaar! That actually doesn't sound like a terrible job... *scratches chin ponderously*

Your goals sound great! I love the emphasis on learning where you stand so you know where to improve! <3 I'll be keeping tabs on your Budget Info, cos I really need to start budgeting better myself... *sigh* monies are difficult.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

I swear my motto is Better Safe Than Sorry.  I'm LOADS of fun at parties............

Says the person who carried around her own personal pharmacy at Camp last year.  :P

• Like 5

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

10 minutes ago, ixaera said:

tumblr_nhcy1htduh1sjcglso1_250.gif

I think shaar really wants to be a moogle, lulz~

2 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Says the person who carried around her own personal pharmacy at Camp last year.  :P

Ever the white mage. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shaarawy said:

So I don’t drink a ton but it’s enough lately to really give me some gently unpleasant side effects such as - shittier sleep! - gently expanding waistline! - crappy skin! - feeling like a bloaty slug! - etc.

Seriously, I read that in my head as if it was some drug commercial

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Complete with sober, concerned narrator voice!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ixaera said:

tumblr_nhcy1htduh1sjcglso1_250.gif

IT ME <3

27 minutes ago, Shadri said:

d0b14014c6932fe77af056b5b3eb6193.jpg

Wahaaa, MailShaar! That actually doesn't sound like a terrible job... *scratches chin ponderously*

Your goals sound great! I love the emphasis on learning where you stand so you know where to improve! <3 I'll be keeping tabs on your Budget Info, cos I really need to start budgeting better myself... *sigh* monies are difficult.

THAT IS THE BEST DELIVERY EVER <3

Man the budget thing kind of scares me (thusly making me very avoidant) but I really need to keep closer tabs on it... monies are SO difficult!!  For the past half hour I've been doing a Cost Analysis Spreadsheet (sounds fancy but not really) to see if we can afford to travel to New England for a week to see family.  Gently scary Because Financials and I almost hyperventilated ONCE but I kept with it and did some good research and feel better about maybe making it happen within our means?!!?!

24 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I sure hope someone is taking up that mantle this year~

SOMEONE BRING EARPLUGS IN CASE SAM ASHEN NEEDS THEM!!!!!!

Also Benadryl in case you can't sleep at 1am because you are too hype.  Also bug spray.  ALSO PONCHOS ARE TWO FOR ONE DOLLAR AT WALMART

11 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Hopefully complete with bad clunky 90's commercial graphics??

7 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Complete with sober, concerned narrator voice!

That's probably how you'd know it was me and not some Devil May Care doppleganger!!

I <3 you guys, just wanted you to know,

In case no one told you today,

YOU ARE AWESOME.  YOU.  Yes you.  *me pointing at you, reading this*

• Like 6

»  kom starkru

3 hours ago, shaarawy said:

Oof, good luck!  It is hard... but we can do it!

YEAH!!!  That's awesome to hear man, definitely what I'm looking to accomplish too!

In other news, todays best job hunt find - managing a crematory!!!!!

Having visions of...

tumblr_m42v15uDjA1rw30hro1_500.gif

zombies.gif

dancing-to-thriller_700.gif

Apparently our local postal service is hiring, I think I'll stick to that, HONESTLY DELIVERING MAIL SOUNDS PRETTY DOPE LIKE I get to walk and deliver letters?!!!?!?  Like I can walk around all day outside??!!!?  And drive one of those little square trucks?? AND HAVE A MAILBAG!??!!?!?!

delivery_moogle_by_chocolate_rebel-d8735

YEAH THERE I AM

If it's a walking route, you get in decent shape, fast.  My bf's stepmom lost a ton of weight by getting a walking route when we were in high school. It was amazing.

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

3 minutes ago, Rinna said:

If it's a walking route, you get in decent shape, fast.  My bf's stepmom lost a ton of weight by getting a walking route when we were in high school. It was amazing.

RIGHT?!?!  It's like.... wow I could be mobile all day?  And get to be outside???   ?????

And yeah ok weather, I'd like to think that being able to skip down the sidewalk with a mailbag and stuff would negate 100 degree humid days and the occasional thunderstorm, and YEAH THAT WEIGHT LOSS THOUGH, man.  Lots to think about.

If they even look at my application.

The USPS job application process is... eh... well, government website.  A for effort, F- for user experience and good flow...

• Like 1

»  kom starkru