• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan goes JUGGERNAUT

16 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

DOOO IT!!!!!

TL;DR - gonna try yoga. my back is sore from deadlifts? and I need to plan what I'm gonna do for GPP this challenge. 

1) Did it! Well, at least I signed up for an online account and registered for the class next Tuesday. I just wish my gym had beginner yoga in the evening so it could be free, but then only offer it during the day. Most places think only stay at home moms and retired folks want beginner yoga? Why, I don't know. But thanks to my injuries I only seem to ever be capable of very beginner yoga. Maybe if I can develop a regular practice and some strength, that will change. I'll be curious to see how I do vs when I took a 12 session yoga class last Spring. 

2) My back is very sore from deadlifts yesterday. I'm not sure if it is that post-vacation deadlift soreness, or if my form was breaking down on the last set at 145#. However, I start those sets of lighter weight for higher reps next week, so I can really work on my form. I'll also be re-watching form videos and re-reading the deadlift portion of the Starting Strength book. It feels like the muscles in the mid back are sore, not like I hurt myself, but high level muscle soreness. But I've never experienced this kind of soreness before. I'll also have my SO come with me on a couple of deadlift days to watch my back angle. 

3) Since I'm switching to Juggernaut for because I need an intermediate program AND so I can also focus on general physical preparedness for 4 months. I'm starting to think about what that means. I'm sure not every week will be the same but I'm thinking something like 3 days lifting, 1 day yoga, 1 day hiking, 1 day cardio type gym class or yard work. I'm also going to be doing archery on Sundays while the weather is nice, but Sunday will also be a lift day because I like that almost no one is at the gym on Sundays. 

• Like 5

Man I really hope yoga works out, maintaining good stretching has been so hopeful for me during all this, and I def feel it when I skip. A few weeks ago I remember being double extra sore (maybe the first week of phul?) and I did a gentle yoga class which helped so much. Mid back muscles - lats developing maybe? 

• Like 3

I agree with the importance of yoga, I know when I start focusing more on yoga it helps a lot with my back pain. Also check on youtube there are so many yoga videos. 

I used to do the yoga for athletes stuff I found.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Volki said:

I agree with the importance of yoga, I know when I start focusing more on yoga it helps a lot with my back pain. Also check on youtube there are so many yoga videos. 

Yoga for athletes! Great idea, had to start Google it right away :)

• Like 1

Sore mid-back from deadlifts suggests thoracic flexion during the pull. Once you take a grip on the bar, try pushing your chest up until you feel extension down your back (keeping hips where they are and your gaze down)? 145 possibly was a bit much post-vacation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Sore mid-back from deadlifts suggests thoracic flexion during the pull. Once you take a grip on the bar, try pushing your chest up until you feel extension down your back (keeping hips where they are and your gaze down)? 145 possibly was a bit much post-vacation.

Thank you for the tip! I'll give that a try during my next deadlift session. It's mid to lower back, but I could tell I was losing form on that last set. I have deadlifts with my trainer tomorrow morning, so I'll ask him to go a bit lighter and have him look at form. Tomorrow is our last session together and I'm too broke for more. 

Next Wednesday I start the juggernaut method deadlifts at 60% for sets of 10. I'll really be able to focus on form for awhile. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Next Wednesday I start the juggernaut method deadlifts at 60% for sets of 10. I'll really be able to focus on form for awhile. 

holy legday batman

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Man I really hope yoga works out, maintaining good stretching has been so hopeful for me during all this, and I def feel it when I skip. A few weeks ago I remember being double extra sore (maybe the first week of phul?) and I did a gentle yoga class which helped so much. Mid back muscles - lats developing maybe? 

3 hours ago, Volki said:

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I like your plan that you have for 3 days lifting, 1 yoga etc.

That's a good plan.

2 hours ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

Yoga for athletes! Great idea, had to start Google it right away :)

Part of my struggle with yoga is that I have always been the least flexible person in the class, so I have to constantly remind myself that I am doing it for me and not for them. 

On the up side, after I registered, the instructor emailed me directly, so I already feel welcome. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Thank you for the tip! I'll give that a try during my next deadlift session. It's mid to lower back, but I could tell I was losing form on that last set. I have deadlifts with my trainer tomorrow morning, so I'll ask him to go a bit lighter and have him look at form. Tomorrow is our last session together and I'm too broke for more. 

De nada. Hopefully between form tweaks and the lighter programming, it'll all be good. 

4 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Part of my struggle with yoga is that I have always been the least flexible person in the class, so I have to constantly remind myself that I am doing it for me and not for them. 

On the up side, after I registered, the instructor emailed me directly, so I already feel welcome. 

If you feel like you really "click" with this teacher and want to make attending this particular studio a thing longer term, why not give teach a heads-up? Yoga teachers generally are the really helpful type when it comes to conquering sticking points. OTOH, you might not want the attention, LOL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Hey, hey, The Juggernaut! You are officially crazy awesome! :applause:

We shall see over the next 16 weeks!

Many thanks to @Emerald_Dragonfly for encouraging me to eat all the proteins for dinner, after carbing out all day. I made a mountain of steak (or 3# if you want to be specific). I used a coffee spice rub that I think @Urgan shared the recipe for recently. It was easily the best flavored steak I've had in forever. I had it with a bit of couscous and the first zucchinis from the garden. A serious tasty warrior evening. I should eat better more often. ;) 

Also, I'm basically going to be stealing Urgan's recipe links more often. I and others should post recipes they are trying more regularly.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Many thanks to @Emerald_Dragonfly for encouraging me to eat all the proteins for dinner, after carbing out all day. I made a mountain of steak (or 3# if you want to be specific). I used a coffee spice rub that I think @Urgan shared the recipe for recently. It was easily the best flavored steak I've had in forever. I had it with a bit of couscous and the first zucchinis from the garden. A serious tasty warrior evening. I should eat better more often. ;) 

Also, I'm basically going to be stealing Urgan's recipe links more often. I and others should post recipes they are trying more regularly.

SHARE ALL THE TASTY RECIPES. OM NOM. We had ours with zucchini, too, lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Only because I didn't see anyone else post it:

Following along.

Lol I was thinking of that video the whole time :)

13 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Only because I didn't see anyone else post it:

Following along.

10 hours ago, Volki said:

Lol I was thinking of that video the whole time :)

I clearly need to look up more things related to the Juggernaut. That was hilarious!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Urgan said:

SHARE ALL THE TASTY RECIPES. OM NOM. We had ours with zucchini, too, lol. 

9 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

All protein and hard work makes Taddea Zhaan a strong girl. 

Now we just need to convince my dietitian that all dat protein is completely legit. 

• Like 1

I had my last personal training session this morning. I have definitely learned some great cues for my squat and deadlift, but it hasn't been the best fit. So while I'm glad that I forked over the cash, I won't be buying more sessions with this trainer. The new game plan is to run the program and look into joining the powerlifting/strongman gym later this year. 

Amongst other shit, we did 4 sets of 10 reps for squats and deadlifts, both at 95#, working on form. So I got a taste of what is coming for me next week. I'm glad the Juggernaut sets of 10 is only about 2.5 weeks! The last set of deadlifts I only did 8. Strength-wise I had more in me, but mentally I was toast. It doesn't help that since I hate cardio he instead has me lift as a circuit. 

juggernaut-gladiator4.gif

We also talked about bench. I mentioned that I feel like I'm stalling on bench. He suggested that might be because I don't use a spotter when I'm on my own, so I'm not pushing myself as hard as I could be. Which is a fair point, but I might also just need more volume. Re: spotters. Last time I tried the power rack I didn't like the heights I could get the safeties at. I am going to try using a different height bench and see if I can get it to work. I also need to get comfortable asking for a spot. 

• Like 4

Sets of 10 deadlifts! You're a monster.

My gym doesn't go over sets of 8 at around 50-60% and the last time we did that i had to sit down a couple times to avoid passing out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

i am also the least flexible person in my classes. like sitting forward fold?! wuuuuut. don't feel bad. just remember all the weight you can powerlift ;)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

We also talked about bench. I mentioned that I feel like I'm stalling on bench. He suggested that might be because I don't use a spotter when I'm on my own, so I'm not pushing myself as hard as I could be. 

1. awesome that you both got a lot out of the trainer during the time you had without feeling like you have to stick with them. Seems like a win in my books!

2. I've heard about (and started benching at higher weights) without collars when there's no spot for confidence sake. Worst case you can dump them on a fail!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i am also the least flexible person in my classes. like sitting forward fold?! wuuuuut. don't feel bad. just remember all the weight you can powerlift ;)

Yeah! And the more you do it the more flexible you become! I'm also a huge fan of micro movements for stretching and flexibility, especially in the hips. Best thing? No one can even see what you're doing so who cares lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Sets of 10 deadlifts! You're a monster.

My gym doesn't go over sets of 8 at around 50-60% and the last time we did that i had to sit down a couple times to avoid passing out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you don't hear from me after next week, you'll know what happened. ;) 

28 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

16 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Yeah! And the more you do it the more flexible you become! I'm also a huge fan of micro movements for stretching and flexibility, especially in the hips. Best thing? No one can even see what you're doing so who cares lol

I will let you know how it goes after Tuesday! I'm hoping it is a manageable class for me. Also, I wasn't lifting heavy the last time I did yoga. So I'm hoping the upper body strength will help me with things like downward dog, which was always a serious struggle.