• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan goes JUGGERNAUT

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

The worst part is that each part is timed (of course) but I always forget it is timed and I end up starting before she says GO and end up doing extra reps. The worst yesterday was when I started wall sits early. By the end of each exercise I find myself doing them as sloooowly as possible while already being out of breath. 

 

2013%2F01%2F04%2Fe3%2Fhomerexerci.00edf.

 

BEST. GIF. EVER. Also I hate timed everything. Get that damn stop watch outta mah face!! ;) 

 

I would argue that there are tremendous benefits to doing certain movements very slowly! Maybe not all the time, but it's extremely informative and great conditioning when it does happen!

 

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

 

Okay. Heel drive is a term I'm not familiar with. Do you have a tendency to pitch forward in the squat (you high bar squat?)? 

 

I have a tendency to grip the floor with my toes, pretty much all the time, always. So that was one of the biggest issues I needed to iron out when I started for sure, thinking about heel drive helped me find better balance overall on the soles of my feets. I've been working hi bar a lot more recently to insure that I'm breaking parallel on heavier lifts with low bar :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I have a tendency to grip the floor with my toes, pretty much all the time, always. So that was one of the biggest issues I needed to iron out when I started for sure, thinking about heel drive helped me find better balance overall on the soles of my feets. I've been working hi bar a lot more recently to insure that I'm breaking parallel on heavier lifts with low bar :) 

 

Interesting. An extreme case of gripping with the toes might compromise your balance, sure enough. Suggests you don't feel stable at some point during the squat? As long as the bar stays over the middle of the foot and your toes aren't doing anything too extreme, that should allow you to squat in weightlifting shoes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

That just sounds difficult! Seems an awful lot like a burpee with a situp instead of a pushup. 

 

It just feels super unsafe to me when I squat in something squishy like my running shoes. I have flat bottom Chuck knockoffs that I use for any sort of lifting now but sometimes I forget what I am doing at the gym that day or change workouts and find myself without those shoes. I tried once to squat in my running shoes and as soon as there was any sort of substantial weight on the bar, I could feel my ankles wanting to roll over towards the weak spots in the foam. I much prefer barefoot if I forget my other lifting shoes.

 

I also have Oly shoes(Crossfit Lifter 2.0) that I use on occasion for squats. They really change up my squat form though so I tend to not use them when doing lots of heavy training. They keep me a bit more upright and allow for a bit larger range of motion. I like them a lot for front squats but they feel too different for back squats. They do help me with knee issues though so I dont slide the knees too far forward. The heel helps keep me farther back. I find this to be a good read and what I refer to for this debate - https://www.t-nation.com/training/olympic-shoes-or-chucks-for-squats

 

That is an interesting article. I'm wondering since I never intend to squat 500# if I really need to ponder the debate. I'm not sure how much my ankle flexibility is going to change unless I stretched them and squatted them every day for years. I'm hoping that if I squat in the Oly shoes for a year or so that I can then go back to back squats without them and see how it feels. On the other hand I could do the goblet squats with the flat shoes since goblet squats are easier for me, and do back squats with the Oly shoes so my ankles are getting extra work on the goblet days. Sorry, I'm just thinking out-loud! 

 

11 minutes ago, Grymm said:

But the important part is you are still doing them.  Every class is going to have a spectrum of people in it, even high level classes.  Someone is going to be the elite athlete and someone else is going to be the average joe/jane compared to the class average.  If you stick with it, you will get better while the class average really won't change much.  People will come and go from both ends of the spectrum.  Someone in that class was probably in worse shape then you a few months ago.  They may be one of the top performers now.  They know the struggle and respect the effort. 

 

Thank you! And it gives me something to work towards. I took me 8 months to work up the courage to even try one of the classes at the gym! So I'm trying to stay encouraged. Probably there are folks doing multiple classes per week that are always going to be ahead of the curve and truly I can't compare myself to those folks. I'll just try to stick with comparing myself to myself! :D 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

 

Interesting. An extreme case of gripping with the toes might compromise your balance, sure enough. Suggests you don't feel stable at some point during the squat? As long as the bar stays over the middle of the foot and your toes aren't doing anything too extreme, that should allow you to squat in weightlifting shoes. 

 

Oh lol, that's just a kung fu thing I needed to adjust for lifting, I pretty much monkey grip my way through life ;) No bigs! I'm pretty happy with my chucks, and mostly just curious about Taddea's experience with her new swag! Sorry for the hijack Taddea!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ~RedStone~ said:

 

Oh lol, that's just a kung fu thing I needed to adjust for lifting, I pretty much monkey grip my way through life ;) No bigs! I'm pretty happy with my chucks, and mostly just curious about Taddea's experience with her new swag! Sorry for the hijack Taddea!

 

Yeah, definitely, there's no requirement to buy new shoes (altho they definitely help~). Couldn't resist inquiring since your experience seemed to be unique (confirmed, lol!). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

 

Oh lol, that's just a kung fu thing I needed to adjust for lifting, I pretty much monkey grip my way through life ;) No bigs! I'm pretty happy with my chucks, and mostly just curious about Taddea's experience with her new swag! Sorry for the hijack Taddea!

 

I love thread hijacks! I learn as much from them as anything else!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

I love thread hijacks! I learn as much from them as anything else!

 

OH! Well, in that case...

 

Iyz6E6T.gif

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could always just kick off your shoes for squats and deads.  Then it doesn't matter what you're wearing.  Many people at my box do that for the strength portion of class and then put their cushy shoes back on for conditioning.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

You could always just kick off your shoes for squats and deads.  Then it doesn't matter what you're wearing.  Many people at my box do that for the strength portion of class and then put their cushy shoes back on for conditioning.

 

Doesn't work so well for powercleans, though...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Lots of good stuff going on here.

Just squatted in Oly shoes for the first time last week (vs. chucks) and found it was a lot easier to hit depth. Just my anatomy and my 2 cents.

 

15 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

You could always just kick off your shoes for squats and deads.  Then it doesn't matter what you're wearing.  Many people at my box do that for the strength portion of class and then put their cushy shoes back on for conditioning.

 

15 hours ago, Urgan said:

 

Doesn't work so well for powercleans, though...

 

To each thine own shoe be true. 

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so clearly the first 5# of the cut are bloat. So instead of going from 185# to 180#, I'm going to go down to 175#, otherwise I'm not even cutting any fat. I already weighed in this morning at 182. There are other factors besides bloat, such as I am weighing food and doing my cardio, but for real ya'll, it's only been 3 days. 

 

As for lifting, i was going to go this morning so I could just relax this evening. However, I got a vaccine yesterday. I woke up in the middle of the night because it felt like someone punched me in the arm HARD. With tylenol it felt sore but I decided I should go ahead and wait for tonight. It's a bummer that I'll have to wade through the evening crowd. But bench, deadlift, and row with a sore and stiff shoulder/arm is not going to go well. 

 

Officially bought my 8 session yoga pass and went to yoga last night. The class is just as awesome as that first session I went to. Hopefully I can afford to buy another pass in two months time. I'll pinch pennies if I have to!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Officially bought my 8 session yoga pass and went to yoga last night. The class is just as awesome as that first session I went to. Hopefully I can afford to buy another pass in two months time. I'll pinch pennies if I have to!

 

1 hour ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Like on the bloat going away. I was also happy to see my bloat go away. :)

 

Sorry for the vaccine pain. :(

 

Yay for yoga! :D

 

^^That pretty much sums it up! Huzzah for the yoga sessions! So happy you found that class, seems to be a really great fit :D Awesome you're having a long go at it!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

 

 

^^That pretty much sums it up! Huzzah for the yoga sessions! So happy you found that class, seems to be a really great fit :D Awesome you're having a long go at it!!

 

28 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Yay for yoga and bloat loss.  Boo for vaccine pain.

 

Yoga for the win!

 

Okay, accountability time, so here is my weight chart for basically this whole year: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxkOeQSsu8ayNnBPQ1B1Vl9ZTE0/view?usp=sharing 

The green line is 175, the line above that is 180, and then the line near top of weights is 185. 

 

I'm bouncing between 180-185. 185 has basically been my "oh shit, I'm bloated and fat, I need to do something" and then I get to 180 and I'm like "oh shit, I lost some good weight let's have cheeseburgers and ice cream".

 

I'd like to see

  • 170 be time for "cheeseburgers and ice cream",
  • 175 will be like "stay the course woman!", and then have  like
  • 177-180 be like "oh shit, I better do some cardio stat." 
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question from the peanut gallery: I see back in February you were close to your goal weight, but that aside I'm seeing a very cyclical pattern month-to-month. Might this 5lbs you're hovering around be hormone-related? Tides of Shark Week, perhaps? 

 

You're doing Juggernaut, you're doing other circuit training type classes, right? That's a lot of effort expended in the pursuit of LBM increase... Weight's only one measurement, so just wondering if there's more to the story, you know? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Question from the peanut gallery: I see back in February you were close to your goal weight, but that aside I'm seeing a very cyclical pattern month-to-month. Might this 5lbs you're hovering around be hormone-related? Tides of Shark Week, perhaps? 

 

You're doing Juggernaut, you're doing other circuit training type classes, right? That's a lot of effort expended in the pursuit of LBM increase... Weight's only one measurement, so just wondering if there's more to the story, you know? 

 

Possible TMI below...

 

There is more to it but like any research study of n=1 it's hard to say what is contributing to what. I started new birth control the last week of January. I got an IUD. Then in the first two weeks of February I became very constipated and saw the GI doctor because I gained 10 lbs in 10 days and looked like I had a serious food baby. I've had multiple colon surgeries and he was like your gut is slow you need to either eat 500 piles of fiber and water per day, or take daily high doses of miralax. The best part was that he had me get an x-ray and when I met with him his summary of the x-ray was "you are literally full of shit". That is some serious dad humor from a 30 year old medical resident, ahaha. 

 

On the flip side I've also been eating more calories. 

 

The circuit class thing I just started the last couple of weeks. But before that I was doing about 60-80 min of cardio per week in the form of 15-25 min of elliptical at the end of each lifting session. My plan is for the circuit class and the yoga class combined to replace my elliptical habit, because I hate steady state cardio. 

 

My tape measurements have stayed basically the same. My pants still fit but feel a little tighter. Could be in my head, could also be from gut distention. It's hard for me to do the tape measure thing because I have lost 120 lbs over the last 13 years and even though I don't have a lot of loose skin, I'm kind of flabby. It makes it hard to measure accurately. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a feeling there was more to it than cheeseburgers and ice cream, lol. If your weight is steady/up a bit and measurements are roughly similar, it isn't really a damage control situation so much as you are armed with an actionable list of things that will take you toward the best you yet, right? Treating your gut right, tracking the food, lifting all the things... I mean, if you drop 120lbs, you can do anything, right??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It's hard for me to do the tape measure thing because I have lost 120 lbs over the last 13 years and even though I don't have a lot of loose skin, I'm kind of flabby. It makes it hard to measure accurately. 

I can totally relate to this!

 

Spoiler

I'm always like do I go over the huge flap hanging down the thighs or under it to measure Abdomin and Hips? You're supposed to measure breast/back from where your nipples are but what if they are literally pointing at the floor? And because of the tennis bal in a sports sock look you would be flat chested if you measured where the nipples used to be! :disgust:

 

Using clothes is kinda tricky too these days, because of you know SQUATS, I now have a bum/arse/ass so my favourite jeans which fit really good when I was just fat and flat arsed no longer fit in the butt area or the quads! I know right, too big for my fat jeans.....never thought that would happen. Shirts were always size 18 AUS sizing no longer fit in arms or chest, my boobs aren't bigger but my back is, my arms are bigger but not flabby, but I can't wear a size 20 AUS because as sizes go up they get shorter.......I think I may have to get into elastine clothing and just learn to love the "sack of potatoes" look :highly_amused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Urgan said:

I had a feeling there was more to it than cheeseburgers and ice cream, lol. If your weight is steady/up a bit and measurements are roughly similar, it isn't really a damage control situation so much as you are armed with an actionable list of things that will take you toward the best you yet, right? Treating your gut right, tracking the food, lifting all the things... I mean, if you drop 120lbs, you can do anything, right??

 

This is true. I know that I can do it. I think I'm also going to have to get back into making sure my breakfast and lunch for the next day are squared away before I go to bed, so I can make good food choices. I guess it is frustrating when I look at a 2 year chart of my weight and see the huge tick upwards this year. Like I know I can bring it back down, but I wish the upswing never even happened.

 

Probably nobody can notice when they look at me, but I can see it visually in the chart. On the plus/minus side I think I'm finally going to get a new phone (the one I have is like 6 years old) and while I can export my weight data to email, I don't think I'll be able to carry it over to the new phone. Clean slate? 

 

11 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

I can totally relate to this!

 

  Reveal hidden contents

I'm always like do I go over the huge flap hanging down the thighs or under it to measure Abdomin and Hips? You're supposed to measure breast/back from where your nipples are but what if they are literally pointing at the floor? And because of the tennis bal in a sports sock look you would be flat chested if you measured where the nipples used to be! :disgust:

 

Using clothes is kinda tricky too these days, because of you know SQUATS, I now have a bum/arse/ass so my favourite jeans which fit really good when I was just fat and flat arsed no longer fit in the butt area or the quads! I know right, too big for my fat jeans.....never thought that would happen. Shirts were always size 18 AUS sizing no longer fit in arms or chest, my boobs aren't bigger but my back is, my arms are bigger but not flabby, but I can't wear a size 20 AUS because as sizes go up they get shorter.......I think I may have to get into elastine clothing and just learn to love the "sack of potatoes" look :highly_amused:

 

It is so refreshing to hear from someone else about their struggles with the body. I can relate to everything you said. I wouldn't go back to being heavier, but I kind of wish I could fairy wand some lifting action around parts of my body!

 

I *used to* have a huge arse before I got into the accident, then I lost it from laying flat on it for so long. I definitely think it is finally growing back with the weight lifting, because I got my first new pair of jeans this past weekend (in two years) and they are stretchy so they fit in the legs AND waist for once, but the butt area comes down slightly lower than I would like (not bad though!). That said, if they sell Levi jeans in Australia I do totally recommend them because they were the most comfortable things I've ever put on and basically formed to my body! I want about 10 pairs. They are the Levi 505 straight cut jeans. I recommend them to anyone with some serious quads. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

This is true. I know that I can do it. I think I'm also going to have to get back into making sure my breakfast and lunch for the next day are squared away before I go to bed, so I can make good food choices. I guess it is frustrating when I look at a 2 year chart of my weight and see the huge tick upwards this year. Like I know I can bring it back down, but I wish the upswing never even happened.

 

Probably nobody can notice when they look at me, but I can see it visually in the chart. On the plus/minus side I think I'm finally going to get a new phone (the one I have is like 6 years old) and while I can export my weight data to email, I don't think I'll be able to carry it over to the new phone. Clean slate? 

 

That sounds good, store the old weight data somewhere and wipe the slate clean. Life's a journey and you just turned the corner.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a pro-tip. When it is a lifting day, don't come home from working late exhausted and decided to Netflix and chill, where chill means eat too much frozen pizza. It took every ounce of effort to then force myself to the gym at 8:30 pm. And by then I was in a carb coma. I went though, to burn some carbs of course. 

 

giphy.gif

 

Wednesday's Workout, Month 2 Week 1, Day 1, Juggernaut

Leave 2-3 reps in the tank on last set. The rest are sets of 8.

 

Bench

4x8, 52.5#

1x10, 52.5#

 

Deadlift

4x8, 107.5#

1x10, 107.5#

(I learned something very important here. When I start to lose grip, I look at my weaker hand in the mirror to see if I am losing grip. I think psyche myself out causing me to further lose grip. Now that I know this I need to focus on NOT looking at my hands in the mirror.)

 

Rows, Single-Arm DB

4x8, 30#

1x9, 30#

 

By the time I got to this point in the workout I would rather have been punched in the face than finish my workout. I probably got this idea because I had been watching Blacklist on Netflix. I made the mistake of starting this show on Tuesday and now I don't want to do anything productive. 

 

Goblet Squats

1x6, 30#

3x7, 30#

(Have no idea on starting weight, I just added this back in and I could not be fucked to do 8 reps.)

 

Curls

1x5, 30#

1x4, 30#

1x12, 35# (rep test I missed last week while sick)

1x8, 35#

 

Skipped farmers walk. ded. 

 

 

 


l4BogOk.gif
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at you, hitting the gym, lifting the things.  Rather be faced punched?  Let's do some goblet squats and curls anyway.  Good job!  I think workout apps/trackers (maybe in your log book), you should be able to mark workouts you really didn't want to do.  Maybe a scale of 1-10 on how many face punches you'd rather be subjected to.  Then, at the end of the year, tally the workouts (or face punches) and I'd imagine that pushing through yields a vast increase in the amount of workouts you get in.  So much so that you are in much better shape than the you in the alternate universe who didn't do those workouts.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.