• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan goes JUGGERNAUT

I went to the circuit class. I didn't die, but I might be slightly broken for my first yoga class tomorrow. 

On the embarrassment scale it was about a 3-4. I had to modify 75% of the exercises and I was very noticeably less in shape. But I didn't pass out, quit, puke, fart, or split my pants. So... I'm gonna go again next Monday?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

But I didn't pass out, quit, puke, fart, or split my pants. So... I'm gonna go again next Monday?

Well that is a SOLID win in my book!!! Excellent work!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rookiebeotch said:

Don't worry about that too much. 

There's always next time. 

sneaky-smile.gif

11 hours ago, Alaysia said:

Well that is a SOLID win in my book!!! Excellent work!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Is this circuit class similar to crossfit? If so, I'd found that all but the most hardcore gym-goers have to scale at least something down for most workouts. Give it a couple weeks and you'll be trucking right along with the rest of the class. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Is this circuit class similar to crossfit? If so, I'd found that all but the most hardcore gym-goers have to scale at least something down for most workouts. Give it a couple weeks and you'll be trucking right along with the rest of the class. :)

Sort of? I've never done crossfit but it was definitely strength oriented with cardio components so I imagine not unlike crossfit. But we don't have the same equipment as crossfit. I'll try to describe the movements we did. I think it changes every week. 

sideways squat walk, upright row 20# barbell while squatting down walking sideways (the walking seemed totally unnecessary, like why not do it in place?)

barbell walking lunges 

scooter thing, no arms, pulling yourself with your feet (I felt absolutely 100% silly when I first started by then after two laps, oh my abs and my quads!)

sport cord chest press 

mountain climbers with hands on upside down bosu ball

box toe touches with cardio step on 3 risers

These were set up in groups of two workouts, two rounds of each at a set time. Then when we finished two we did ab work on the mat before starting the next two. Sit-ups while holding dumbbell, v-crunches, side planks, etc, some swiss ball shit. The ab work was actually the hardest for me because my abs have been surgically reconstructed and are seriously not up to snuff and probably won't be for years. 

They do have some classes that I think are supposed to be a bit more like crossfit, maybe? They have one called Pure Endurance that is listed as being outside but I've never watched it happen. We just have a parking lot so I have no idea what they are doing out there. Maybe I should swing by one day at that time. 

There is one called "Strength and Tone" but I already lift, so I figured "Circuits" was what I was looking for. A cardio and strength based challenge so I can avoid the elliptical and benefit my muscles. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I went to the circuit class. I didn't die, but I might be slightly broken for my first yoga class tomorrow. 

On the embarrassment scale it was about a 3-4. I had to modify 75% of the exercises and I was very noticeably less in shape. But I didn't pass out, quit, puke, fart, or split my pants. So... I'm gonna go again next Monday?

Well you know how I feel about circuits, but classes are another beast altogether. I get pretty wrapped up in the looking around and comparing so it's better if I do them on my own. (Though I do find classes helpful for getting ideas for new moves to incorporate...)  Also, they tend to run long at my gym 60-90 minute - how long was yours? I don't like doing more than 20 - 30 mins in a shot :P 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Well you know how I feel about circuits, but classes are another beast altogether. I get pretty wrapped up in the looking around and comparing so it's better if I do them on my own. (Though I do find classes helpful for getting ideas for new moves to incorporate...)  Also, they tend to run long at my gym 60-90 minute - how long was yours? I don't like doing more than 20 - 30 mins in a shot :P 

It was 60 min but there was a warm-up and stretch at the end. I'm using it to basically replace other cardio at the gym (no more machines please!) so I don't mind. I can't imagine doing any class for 90 minutes!

I still plan on outdoor walks/hiking 3-4x per month while the weather is warm though. Not sure what i'm going to do in the winter. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Sounds like a fun class!

Fun is very loosely defined here.

Seriously. my quads and hamstrings are still sore today. 

I tried out the beginner yoga class last night. It was AWESOME. The instructor was the most knowledgeable one I've ever had. She focuses on body alignment, i.e. making sure your limbs and joints are in the right position to get the most out of the poses. She is very thorough in explaining everything. There was another 1-2 new people so she said she was doing a bit of a review. We talked about alignment (hips, spine, neck, etc) and then went through some of the beginner poses. She focused on glute activation as the theme. And we all know I love to work dem glutes. There was some other awesome information but I won't bore you to tears. 

She also teaches some classes at a senior center so she knows how to modify everything end super encourages blocks when needed. It's like the first beginner class where I didn't feel self conscious about how my injuries have affected my mobility. 

I can tell that having done quite a bit of strength training since I last took yoga a year ago that the strength made holding poses easier. 

Also, BONUS we didn't do a single downward facing dog yesterday which I hate. I know we'll do it in the future but I wouldn't be sad if I never did another downward facing dog in my life. Maybe if my calves weren't so tight? 

TONIGHT - I LIFT! I'm a bit sore from circuits and I might have bit off more than I can chew for my first week of this challenge trying two new classes but I'm going to the gym tonight. I may need some caffeine and tylenol before I go...

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

She is very thorough in explaining everything.

I've been doing all sorts of yoga for a long time and still prefer beginners classes for exactly this reason! Even when I was in a terrible way trying to get used to the new work load I did a seniors class that was 100% perfect what I needed. Love that you're connecting with this teacher and getting the instruction you need!

• Like 2

Also, and this is more important than yoga for real.

You have to watch Stranger Things on Netflix if you at all love sci-fi. It is like goonies + x-files + freaks and geaks. We are on episode 3 and I'm so hooked that I'm gonna be legit sad when I finish the season. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

You have to watch Stranger Things on Netflix if you at all love sci-fi. It is like goonies + x-files + freaks and geaks. We are on episode 3 and I'm so hooked that I'm gonna be legit sad when I finish the season. 

LOVE this show! Stayed up way past bedtime last night to squeeze in one two extra episodes! I love how they did everything 80s, from the synthesizer music to the title sequence. Excellent acting and excellent storytelling. I'm also going to be pretty sad when this ends. I've deliberately not looked at how many episodes there are because of the anxiety I'll get from the impending end. Such a great show!

44 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I watched the trailer and thought it looked AMAZING but Mr J was not at all impressed. Sad.

4 hours ago, Alaysia said:

LOVE this show! Stayed up way past bedtime last night to squeeze in one two extra episodes! I love how they did everything 80s, from the synthesizer music to the title sequence. Excellent acting and excellent storytelling. I'm also going to be pretty sad when this ends. I've deliberately not looked at how many episodes there are because of the anxiety I'll get from the impending end. Such a great show!

4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I watched the trailer and thought it looked AMAZING but Mr J was not at all impressed. Sad.

But it is SO GOOD. I recommend waking up and watching it in the night if you can't convince him. Was he not impressed by the trailer or did you guys watch the first episode? 

I went to the gym this morning early rather than last night. Last night I was sore and tired from having stayed up late the night before. I managed to fit in almost everything this morning despite getting to the gym 20 min later than I had planned. I just missed Leg Extension, but whatevs, I was sore from circuits all week so I'm probably fine there. 

1st day of juggernaut!

Week 1, Day 1, July 21

60% 4x10 and 60% 1x10+ (2-3 short of failure)

Bench Press

5x10, 45#

Forgot I was supposed to do extra on the last set if I could, oh well. I could have done more but I didn't think it made sense to go back after doing deadlifts. 

Deadlifts

5x10, 95#

Single Arm DB Rows

3x10, 25#

1x9, 25#

1x8, 25#

Leg Curl

3x10, 90#

1x12, 90#

Curls

3x10, 30#

1x12, 30#

Observations:

• It is helping me figure out where my sticking points are. I could have done a lot more on deadlift but my grip was starting to go and my forearms were getting sore. 
  • It's hard to mentally push yourself past 10 reps on deadlift, I need to work on that. 
  • Sets of 10 deadlifts is great for working on your grip!
  • Decided to do 4 sets of accessories rather than 5, for time purposes. 
  • It did a pretty good job of calculating my 60% 5x10. It is rounding by 5# for the accessories. The rows were a bit tough at the end, but I had more in the tank on the other Leg Curl and Curls. 
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Man 10 reps is A LOT. Maybe sometimes I'll try it so I can better commiserate, someday when I'm feeling super sassy :P 

You think that is a lot, @Sam Ashen has been doing 10x10 and now he's gotten @Rookiebeotch to give it a whirl as well. I'm not sure what % of max they are doing, but it's got to be mentally taxing. After 5x10 you'd only be half-way through!

Deadlifts were definitely the longest part of the session. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

You think that is a lot, @Sam Ashen has been doing 10x10 and now he's gotten @Rookiebeotch to give it a whirl as well. I'm not sure what % of max they are doing, but it's got to be mentally taxing. After 5x10 you'd only be half-way through!

100 DLs seems pretty intense Ill have to try it out next time too :D

Awesome job and good day 1 of Juggernaut!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Deadlifts

5x10, 95#

40 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Sets of 10 deadlifts is great for working on your grip!

Among other things

16 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Man 10 reps is A LOT. Maybe sometimes I'll try it so I can better commiserate, someday when I'm feeling super sassy :P 

3 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

15 minutes and you should be done! :lol::lol::lol:

Percentages:  I was told to start between 50% and 60%.  My last set of 10x10 Squats (last night) were at 60%.

60% would be a rough place to start in my opinion.

• Like 2