Maigahane Lifts Heavy Things

Maigs

Can you guess what my primary focus this challenge will be?

Strength - Lifting three times a week. No excuses. I really enjoy lifting and did well the first half of last challenge but petered out a bit the last half. I had a four day vacation that crossed weeks and I didn't plan for that well. This time around I will plan out my week ahead of time to make sure I get in my three days

Intelligence - Eat intelligently. While my eating hasn't been horrible (except maybe on vacation...), it hasn't been great. I need to plan out my meals ahead of time (seeing a pattern yet) so I know what I'm eating, when, and how many calories I get in a day. No specific goal on number of calories a day, just to actively watch and track what I am eating which will result in making better decisions

Wisdom - Biking to work is now a habit but I still drive everywhere else. I mentioned before that I have one of the diesel VW's that's been causing a ruckus. VW has announced that they're going to buy it back, probably starting in October, and if the estimates I've seen are right it's for a pretty penny. I've been trying to convince hubs to just sell it back and go down to one car and we had a bit of a breakthrough...in a good/not-so-good kind of way. He has fallen in love with the Ford Fusion Energi, a plug in hybrid, though he's not quite ready to get rid of his baby yet (9 year old MazdaSpeed3). So we've tentatively agreed that we'll sell back my car and see how well we can do with just one car. If it works well then maybe sometime next year we'll trade in his baby on a Fusion Energi. I still prefer the idea of just selling my car and keeping his but the Fusion is in line with my hippy druidic goals and I do like the idea of promoting efficient/alternate energy cars.

Anyway, so my goal this challenge is to drive as little as possible even if hubs is home and I can take his car. Specific goal is to bike to at least one non-work destination a week, such as the gym or the grocery store.

ETA:
A much needed goal to add: Get my ass outta bed in the mornings! I've been slacking and snoozing 3 or 4 times, getting up 15 minutes before I need to leave for work and ending up 5 minutes late every day. So my bonus goal for this challenge is to get up with the first alarm. I'm considering adding iatetheyeti's burpee penalties for not getting up but since I haven't done a singe burpee ever yet I'm still deciding

• Like 3

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

A couple of extra items impacting this challenge:

Run - One of the 5k's sponsored by Hub's work is August 1st. I'm fully planning on running that which will earn me a 25k shirt (once I do the other two OCR's scheduled for later in August)

Remodel - We finally got our butts back in gear on the house remodel and are currently high in motivation. We painted the dining room then realized that we have to have the 2nd bedroom painted before we can put down the flooring (we already had to wait on the kitchen flooring until we did the dining room). So yesterday we pulled up the carpet in that room and sanded and patched the walls. Depending on how the patches look tonight we'll either be doing another round of patching or priming tonight. The hope is to have the room painted this week so we can start flooring this weekend. I'm hoping to keep the momentum going and do the larger bedroom as soon as this one is done, then we'll just have the bathroom as a major project plus finishing touches. It may get interested scheduling lifting around remodeling but both are a high priority to me so I will make it work.

• Like 1

Hooray for lifting heavy things!! :D  

I love vacations but man do they get in the way of a decent lifting schedule.  It's real easy for me to fall off too, when travel and life get in the way.  Consistency is so hard sometimes!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Here to vatch you pick zings up und put zem down.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Can you guess what my primary focus this challenge will be?

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Welcome all!

So planning. Even though I know it's a good idea to plan ahead and I do really well with it when I do, but for some reason I really suck at actually making one. Well, I made one through Thursday

Monday - Lift day - Dinner: Curry

• Deadlift
  • Bench press
  • Reverse Crunches
  • DB Row

Tuesday - Cardio - Dinner: "Chicken" n Biscuits (basically pot pie with biscuits on top instead of a crust)

• Intervals: 1 min/2 min for 15 minutes
  • Burpees: 10 x 3
  • Mountain Climbers: 10 x 3
  • (this is to help motivate gym buddy. She can't make Monday's but I really want to lift tonight so I'll do cardio with her Tuesday)

Wednesday - Game night (aka rest day) - Dinner: Split pea and parsnip soup ala crockpot - Need to figure out snacks....

Thursday - Lift day - Dinner: Chipotle Chili

• Squat
  • OHP
  • Plank
  • Lat Pull-down

Friday - Not sure on workout, depends on where we are with the house - Dinner: Stir Fry(day)

• Like 3

Week Zero - Monday

Yesterday mostly went as planned except Monday is apparently bro's night at the gym so I had to improvise a little and wait them out . They were basically all using free weights and not taking up space I wanted to use for no reason (no sitting on a bench playing on a phone) so I can't get too mad. Except for the guy who apparently didn't realize I was doing circuits and hopped on the lat pull down machine after my first set.

Reverse Crunches: 25 x 2; 20 x 1

Bench press machine: 50lbs x 10 x 3

Lat Pulldown: 70lbs x 10 x 3 (dumbbell row: 15lbs x 10 x 1 while I waited out the bros)

Goblet squat: 30lbs x 15 x 2; 10 x 1

Deadlift after bros left: 135lbs x 5 x 3

Had curry for dinner before going to the gym, ate a reasonable amount and have leftovers for lunch today.

Tonight we can prime the bedroom so I'll cook when I first get home, do a first coat of primer while food is in the oven, eat, hit the gym, then do the second coat of primer after.

I biked to work but drove to the gym yesterday when in retrospect I should/could have biked there too. Hubs was home so only one car was being used but it was still wasteful driving. Unfortunately tonight I should probably drive so I have time to do both coats of primer. It's about 11 miles round trip which the one time I've done it took about 1.5 hours

• Like 3

Following for lifting awesomeness! 

We're a one car household and it can be tough at times if both of us have somewhere to go on a weekend. I'm trying to convince Hubs that we should get a hybrid for our next car. It's not really working though, since I was the one that wanted the gas guzzling sporty hatchback we have now that he's totally in love with!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

2 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following for lifting awesomeness! 

We're a one car household and it can be tough at times if both of us have somewhere to go on a weekend. I'm trying to convince Hubs that we should get a hybrid for our next car. It's not really working though, since I was the one that wanted the gas guzzling sporty hatchback we have now that he's totally in love with!

Thanks!

I think the biggest worry with being a one car household is that hubs goes back to working weekends. He'd be working four 10's Friday-Monday where I work five 8's Monday-Friday so it would be hard to share a car if needed Monday's and Friday's working different hours (right now we work the exact same hours). Plus with one person at home all day while the other is at work it would be more likely that the one at home wants to run errands but the one at work has the car. I still think we can make it work fine but these are the things we have to think through.

What kind of car do you have? I love sporty hatchbacks and even though you're in a different country I watch a lot of Top Gear so I know European cars :P

• Like 1

I've decided that I need new shoes, again, and like yesterday. I've bought 3 new pairs recently; one that aggravates my PF, one strictly for running and can't really be worn at work, and one that I've been wearing to work but are just a tad too small and (possibly related) are already wearing at the back of the heels (I'm through the fabric in less than 3 months). So I have no good work shoes that don't hurt my feet (even though I can get away with dark tennis shoes) and only one pair that can be worn casually or while working out that don't hurt. I have a $25 gift card to a running store so I'll just have to actually go there this week.

And since it looks like I'll be using up my medical insurance deductible this year I should probably get in to a podiatrist and get my PF looked at again and probably should get orthotics since the heel pain has been persistent for a couple of years now. When I was diagnosed with PF years ago it was because of arch pain which I can control with proper inserts so I passed on spending big bucks on orthotics but the heel thing popped up later and isn't as well controlled cheaply.

• Like 2

2d86c080f8fd33b3fdc898bba5f268dc.jpg

New shoes acquired. Hopefully they work well with my weird feet. I showed up in the middle of a talk from 4 locals who had just run (and finished) a 100 mile run. One woman there was actually the winner of the race which was awesome.

Then I went to the gym even though my workout buddy bailed and did 20 minutes of 1/2 intervals running at 6.5mph. Tried bumping it up to 7mph but couldn't keep up that pace. Goals :)

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Maigahane said:

What kind of car do you have? I love sporty hatchbacks and even though you're in a different country I watch a lot of Top Gear so I know European cars

We've got a Renault Clio RS - 200bhp, flappy paddle gear shifters, the works. I've named him Lord Flashheart. My husband works for a company that deals in salary-sacrifice cars so we get a new car every 3 years. I really love this car but it's a bit of a gas guzzler which is why I'm thinking a hybrid would be better next time around.

Well done on the intervals and I hope the new shoes work out for you!

• Like 1

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

We've got a Renault Clio RS - 200bhp, flappy paddle gear shifters, the works. I've named him Lord Flashheart. My husband works for a company that deals in salary-sacrifice cars so we get a new car every 3 years. I really love this car but it's a bit of a gas guzzler which is why I'm thinking a hybrid would be better next time around.

Well done on the intervals and I hope the new shoes work out for you!

I like the Clio! I'm so jealous of all of Europe's hatchbacks, we have some but they're usually the lowest of the low end that the manufacturers make. And don't get me started on the lack of actual station wagons (I like fun sporty hatches but I'm also practical and have to carry around a 75lbs dog). If Volvo still made the C30 I'd be tempted to get that. I drooled over it when looking for a car last time but it guzzled too much gas for the amount I used to drive.
We're also the types to keep cars forever so it's a big decision to get a new one. My VW feels brand new even though I've had it for three years, hubs car is 9 years old and we're not ready to get rid of it yet. My car before the VW was 10 years old with 200k miles and I would have kept it longer if I'd actually liked the damn thing

Also, what did you just make me watch?! I know UK humor is different but I'm a little flabbergasted by that

• Like 1

Week Zero - Tuesday

You know when you make plans but it just doesn't work right? I got home last night to find out that the dog got sick...in my kitchen...it wasn't vomit. So I had to drive to the store to buy more paper towels (1 mile RT, technically could have biked but when something that gross is on your floor haste is important) and for some reason didn't feel like cooking after cleaning it up. So Chicken N Biscuits didn't happen. Hubs got Taco Bell but my stomach was not up to eating anything except some raw cashews. And since I didn't feel like cooking I also didn't prep the crock pot meal I was going to have today.

I bought my new shoes, ran my intervals, did a second coat of primer, and then hid in the main bedroom (as far from the kitchen as I could get even though the smell was gone by then) and read until it was time for bed. I was definitely feeling the lack of dinner this morning, still not hungry but dizzy and vision blacking out when I stood up. Tonight is game night and we'll probably have to get fast food so I'll have plenty of calories today.

• Like 1

Biking

Too much driving happened yesterday but it was a weird day. My car actually left the garage twice, when I bought paper towels, and when hubs got Taco Bell while I was at the gym with his car. Neither of these were necessities or things that couldn't have happened by bike (the store and TB are right next to each other 1/2 mile from the house). I think this falls under the "invisible scripts" WorldSparrow is working on avoiding; "If you need to get somewhere you take the car", needs replaced with "If it's within 5 miles the bike is the preferred method of transport"

BUT today I rode my bike to work even though rain is imminent. I did not get rained on but it was sprinkling out by the time everyone else came in 30 minutes later. It could be raining on me when I go home tonight. I hope at least the ground is wet so I know how much of a spray I kick up. I have no fenders so a skunk stripe is a possibility

• Like 2

If it wasn't for my husbands job, we'd probably have a much older car and keep it for a lot longer. It just works out pretty cheap this way as all car costs except fuel are covered by a monthly salary sacrifice. I think European hatchbacks are probably a bit too small for you guys. Seeing how small our country is, we don't really need huge fuel tanks to drive across the country! The Clio has a surprising amount of boot (trunk?) space for a small car but yeah, a 75lb dog ain't gonna fit in there!

The video was Blackadder, British comedy series from the 80's. It was written by Richard Curtis of Notting Hill / Love Actually fame! It probably would have made more sense if you'd seen more of it but it's very British humor.

Sorry to hear about the sick doggy! Hope he/she? is feeling better. I don't blame you driving to get the towels in that situation. And well done for choosing to ride to work despite the threat of rain.

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

He's not all that big* :) And he curls up really small. I'll post a picture of him later when I find a good one. He fits in Hub's Mazda3 hatchback with plenty of room for our luggage for road trips. And he's fine now, thanks for asking. He got sick because he's an asshole and in the chaos of remodeling he got into the cats food container and ate a bunch. We actually built floating shelves in the office to keep the cat dishes high enough he can't get to them. Now that it's out of his system and we've put the container where he can't get to it he should stay that way.

*I may have a slightly skewed idea of what makes a big dog since my last one was a 90lbs Dane and my mom has a 130lbs St. Bernard mix

• Like 1

Seems relevant...

145024753_25522985_answer_1_xlarge-300x2

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Lol. It was very hard to not lift things up and put them down at the gym last night. But since I do full body work on strength days I needed to keep it a non-strength day.

I've also discovered that I do in fact like deadlifts (too soon to call it love). I've always been on the squat side of that particular argument but without a squat rack I've had to turn to deadlifts for gainz and realized that I do like them.

Oh he's such a sweetie pie!

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

21 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Oh he's such a sweetie pie!

He is a sweet heart and besides being a butthead one of the best dogs I've ever had. He's so mild mannered and just wants everyone to pet him

On 7/13/2016 at 9:30 AM, Maigahane said:

It could be raining on me when I go home tonight. I hope at least the ground is wet so I know how much of a spray I kick up.

No luck on testing out wet roads yesterday, it was completely dry and sunny. I did get to ride in the rain this morning though...well sorta. Water droplets fell from the sky and a handful of them landed on me. I even noticed the droplets before I got on my bike and I still rode in :)

Today could be interesting. I have an offsite meeting this afternoon. Boss would probably drive me if I needed it but since it ends at 4 she usually just says to go home after so I'm tempted to ride there. It's a whopping 4.2 miles from work and today is actually relatively mild (high of 85). I'd want extra time to get there just in case so I'll want to leave an hour before instead of 20 minutes but boss lady is really flexible so she might let me. If I do ride there then I'd ride home, put the second coat of paint in the bedroom (woot, flooring this weekend!), eat dinner, then ride back to almost the same place as the meeting to go to the gym and lift heavy things, then ride home. Total distance would be 23 miles. That feel sufficiently badass enough that I'm willing to try it at the expense of being able to DL as much as I have been

• Like 2