• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera steals the Thief's Testimony~

Does your gym have a shower? We've had plumbing issues twice this year. One time because the well pump died, so no water. I took showers at the gym for a couple of days late at night when no one was around. It wasn't awesome, but I was clean. 

Re: squats. I'm working on reading Practical Programming and there is a section on addressing progress for the advanced novice when progress slows. I'm not going to come out of it being a training wizard, but I recommend it for a good read and to learn about addressing a stall. You might be able to check it out from your library network. I mean it does have 5 stars and 250+ reviews, so it has to be at least a little useful? 

Some of the biology info about muscles and how they are built was more than I needed. A quick summary of each topic would have worked for me. But I did learn more about muscle types and hypertrophy, power, strength, rep schemes, etc. I'm about to starting reading the section on intermediate programming. Even as someone who is not doing Starting Strength or the Texas Method, I am finding it to be useful. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Does your gym have a shower? We've had plumbing issues twice this year. One time because the well pump died, so no water. I took showers at the gym for a couple of days late at night when no one was around. It wasn't awesome, but I was clean. 

Our plumber ended up being SO FAST. Definitely if I got ripe enough it was an option I had in mind, though. (I'm a bit squicky about public showers in general, but less squicky than I am feeling like a rotten banana peel )

3 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm working on reading Practical Programming and there is a section on addressing progress for the advanced novice when progress slows. I'm not going to come out of it being a training wizard, but I recommend it for a good read and to learn about addressing a stall.

Ooo! I love me some good reading. I'm ~85% sure my squats were weak because of food reasons, which should go away by next 5/3/1 set week. If they don't, then I know I have other issues to address for sure.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ixaera said:

And now for the deload week of 5/3/1, which I will probably find annoying and boring, but Stick To The Program

(Yes, I timed deload week for shark week on purpose.)

This is brilliant.  A++++

Also A++++ on being kind to yourself throughout the chaos!  Sometimes that's the hardest thing to do.

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 1

Inventory Culling

Oopsed a bit, nbd. Was doing fine, then succumbed to temptation and ordered a beer at the movies. Plus side: it was delicious, and at least I probably did enough cardio that it was still under maintenance.

Grinding Skill Points

OHP Day

Deload week so

1x5 20 lbs

1x5 30 lbs

1x5 40 lbs

Bench Press

5x10 45 lbs

(I'm switching up the days I do accessory lifts so I'm doing each twice a week instead of just once. Same amount of work, though.)

Ended up skipping chin ups, doing them tonight instead. Ran out of time in life for this.

22 pushups! Did!

Day 17 completed!

If you want to participate and have not been challenged, consider yourself challenged!
Later on today I'm going to hunt down that donation site again and send some money in lieu of direct challenges: stop22.org

Meat Mithkabobs

100g protein

boom

Mithra Stretchcat

Nope, didn't make the time window yesterday.

Random Sidequest

Earned a measly 5, spent none (no, quality time with bf does not take points, of course)

MIGHT have been able to do pull ups on the deficit machine at the gym yesterday, but some guy was hogging it (mostly just standing in it and resting?) for over 30 min, and I didn't want to ask to work in because I wasn't 100% sure I could use the machine. There are too many there I can't use at all due to height, which is kinda weird. I guess gyms are where they just assume no one is ever <5'1" I knew I wouldn't have time after work, unless I skipped cardio, and I ended up prioritizing the cardio. I'll snag them tonight along with some studying.

EDITING TO ADD: I liked the new Ghostbusters pretty well, actually :) It was worth the late bedtime and loss of time to stretch and chin up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ixaera said:

EDITING TO ADD: I liked the new Ghostbusters pretty well, actually :) It was worth the late bedtime and loss of time to stretch and chin up.

I do too! It was fun. I'm sure I'll netfix it again some day when I'm feeling silly :D 

• Like 1

Just now, Urgan said:

Derpy T-rex is so adorbs.

So true, this statement!

Something I've been doing of late: researching powerlifting gyms in my area (or at least more barbell-focused gyms than my rec center). Previous research has turned up disappointingly. Either an amazing gym is too far, or a probably good gym looks too intimidating (full of dudebros and some breed of chickbro I wasn't able to discern--I'd stick out like a sad, sore thumb there), or just a bunch of "fitness" gyms full of treadmills and 3 lb dumbbells.

Anyway, today I finally entered whatever the magic search conditions were and found one where I might actually feel comfortable, only 10 minutes away. It wouldn't be a great one for morning lifts if I had to go into the office after, but since it's lifting focused, it might be easier to work out in the afternoons there. SO I just shot over an email to ask about pricing. It's research for later this year, I don't have the money to switch gyms right now. But, it's apparently a USA PL gym and the clientele looks blissfully NORMAL. Plus I spied a lot of racks in the pics. (Barbell racks, not boobs, you pervs.)

• Like 4

Fenrir-Prime.jpg

never did beat this one

Week 3, Day 2

Inventory Culling

Erred on the low side today to make up for yesterday a bit.

Still, team lunch at Hard Eight BBQ I did not master... ended up getting the sandwich WHY

So easy to just get a plate of meat there! So silly. Had to make up the non-protein cals with a dinner of protein shake. Bah.

Grinding Skill Points

Some light cardio this morning.

Did my chins from yesterday, and my push-ups.

Thinking next cycle about replacing chins with pull-downs for better customization of the exercise.

22 pushups! Did!

Day 18 completed!

If you want to participate and have not been challenged, consider yourself challenged!
Later on today I'm going to hunt down that donation site again and send some money in lieu of direct challenges: stop22.org

Meat Mithkabobs

97g protein

not bad

Mithra Stretchcat

Done. Focused on squat mobility again. Really trying to get ankles and balance better. One day I want to execute good overhead squats. Did hams and glutes, and some upper back.

Random Sidequest

Earned 8. Studied a bit, adulted a bit, nothing special though.

Spent a short amount of time FFXIVing, leveling rogue in Palace of the Dead (it's pretty fun actually).

• Like 1

Goddamn Fenrir~

YAY EXCITING GYM PROSPECTS!!  I'm glad you found one with a well-rounded clientele.  GymTimidation is real~

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Totes freaking true.  And I only did 3 x 10.  

I did these in squats today. Go go go little heart!

• Like 2

k9vgT1.gif

-

Week 3, Day 3

Inventory Culling

OK here

Discovered randomly today that muscle milk tastes like slim fast. Coincidence? Probably not. (I was just curious, and protein is nice?)

Today was an exercise in convenience food, but I did not get a complete cookie. :) In an effort to not get one, I went to Tom Thumb to hunt down this Halo Top stuff people rave about for a light sweet snack. They don't sell it. I ended up with those tiny packs of oreo thins. I think those will spread out okay.

Breakfast was a microwave jimmy dean bowl, lunch was a microwave cafe steamer, dinner was a microwave evol chicken tikka masala. Tomorrow I swear I will cook ><;;;

Grinding Skill Points

Deadlift Deload

1x5 55 lbs

1x5 70 lbs

1x5 85 lbs

Squat assistance

5x10 65 lbs <-- right weight for assistance finally I think

Hanging leg raises

5x10 actually, scored an 11 at the end, too. Felt really strong on these today, though legs were starting to bend at the end. I figured keeping on trying was better to swapping to knees in this case.

FEELS:

I've been gathering yet more programming underpants and discovered I am doing the old dumb version of this program. OOPS. You will see changes next cycle yes you will.

Leaving it more or less the same for consistency purposes, but adding in Joker sets and will only deload every other time (unless for some reason it's just necessary to deload after one).

Did more light cardio today. Plus pushups.

22 pushups! Did!

Day 19 completed! <--- whoa, only 3 days left already?

Meat Mithkabobs

110g protein

Mithra Stretchcat

More squat mobility, some shoulder thingos (dislocators? I think they're called?), hamstring stuff, wrist mobility

Random Sidequest

Earned 13, spent none.

Went to the dentist for a cleaning today and good gracious me

No mercy was had, not one iota. Then they tried to sell me braces while my mouth still hurt. Smart marketing, there.

Also, mighty headache, but it was vanquished by mighty medicine at least. \o/

• Like 1

To deload or not to deload or when to deload definitely seems to be a tricky thing. I'm trying to wrap my mind around it myself. 

Great job on those hanging leg raises! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

To deload or not to deload or when to deload definitely seems to be a tricky thing. I'm trying to wrap my mind around it myself. 

Great job on those hanging leg raises! 

Thanks! I was really happy I seemed to have gained the ability to do more than 4-5 at a time. 

I'm usually pretty in tune with whether something is too much or too little for me, I THINK. I'm really inexperienced, so I just follow the program to be sure, unless it is absolutely beating me down. original 5/3/1 felt like nothing though, except for the one AMRAP set, and one of those didn't feel like it was doing much. Adding Joker sets ala Beyond 5/3/1 should fix that for me. I HOPE.

22 hours ago, ixaera said:

Today was an exercise in convenience food, but I did not get a complete cookie. :) In an effort to not get one, I went to Tom Thumb to hunt down this Halo Top stuff people rave about for a light sweet snack. They don't sell it. I ended up with those tiny packs of oreo thins. I think those will spread out okay.

Hmmm, that halo top stuff has intrigued me, if you ever do find it, I'm curious to see a review. Those oreo thins are amazing! As a firm believer in double stuff oreos, I was extremely skeptical of a tiny oreo, but so good, and it feels like you are eating more than you are! (I still eat too many, but baby steps) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Suzaqu said:

Hmmm, that halo top stuff has intrigued me, if you ever do find it, I'm curious to see a review. Those oreo thins are amazing! As a firm believer in double stuff oreos, I was extremely skeptical of a tiny oreo, but so good, and it feels like you are eating more than you are! (I still eat too many, but baby steps) 

Oreos are so evil for me. I'll be like "I'll just have TWO"

...then 16 oreos later...

The thins are the same flavor but I still want to eat 6 dozen of them

• Like 1

carbuncle.jpg

never google carbuncle

Week 3, Day 4

Inventory Culling

Fine, and stuff.

Today was oatmeal+protein powder (I'm out of eggs...), chicken w/ carrots & dip, light popcorn, a blueberry yogurt cup, and ...

I cooked an awful dinner. I deviated from my normal curry-on-a-diet recipe, and never again. It's far too much onion and tofu sauce is just a no go with this dish. LOTS of protein and still vaguely edible though, so it shouldn't go to waste. *sigh*

Grinding Skill Points

DID NOTHING ha

well, I did pushups between stretches.

22 pushups! Did!

Day 20 completed!

Meat Mithkabobs

138g protein

Magic

Mithra Stretchcat

Some lower, some upper. Some wrist, some back, a little chest. Not really sore or tight anywhere at the moment, though my ankles are always in need and I want better squats, so yeah, lots of ankle/achilles.

Random Sidequest

Earned 21, spent 10 on ffxiv. At least the crappy dinner was worth cooking points.

So, I alluded it to it before, but I'm jazzing up the program I was on. Won't be nearly so easy, yay. I feel SUPER done with deload right now, don't think I needed it in the first place this time around, so instead of squat deload on Saturday, it'll be the first day in a new cycle, starting with squats. I'm doing the outlined version of Beyond 5/3/1 at the bottom of this page: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/beyond-531/, so the BBB version that's higher weight, lower reps on the "assistance", alternating lifts so I do each twice a week (I'd already begun doing that), doing the 3/5/1 version, and adding in Joker sets. I'll be honest, not going to be super by-the-book on Joker sets. 100/105/110 percents are probably not going to be possible most of the time, so I'll be working up a bit smaller. No set amounts, just by feel for now.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ixaera said:

So, I alluded it to it before, but I'm jazzing up the program I was on. Won't be nearly so easy, yay. I feel SUPER done with deload right now, don't think I needed it in the first place this time around, so instead of squat deload on Saturday, it'll be the first day in a new cycle, starting with squats. I'm doing the outlined version of Beyond 5/3/1 at the bottom of this page: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/beyond-531/, so the BBB version that's higher weight, lower reps on the "assistance", alternating lifts so I do each twice a week (I'd already begun doing that), doing the 3/5/1 version, and adding in Joker sets. I'll be honest, not going to be super by-the-book on Joker sets. 100/105/110 percents are probably not going to be possible most of the time, so I'll be working up a bit smaller. No set amounts, just by feel for now.

I'm excited for you to get started on this new version of the program. It sounds like it is going to be awesome for you! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm excited for you to get started on this new version of the program. It sounds like it is going to be awesome for you! 

I hope so! I was feeling underwhelmed by original 5/3/1, this seems to promise more umpf? But yeah, Joker sets at 100/105/110, lul... my squat training max is 131 right now which I feel is uh... questionable. I could MAYBE do 125 once, after some solid carbs? Just not sure about these dang calculators.