• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

freck

ixaera steals the Thief's Testimony~

Holy cow, 150/month!!?!! Do people really get away with charging that much? 

Mine is 9 miles away but I got grandfathered in at my gym so my monthly is ridiculously low for LA Fitness. I wish mine had a BBQ Pit!

• Like 3

One yelp review said it had NO A/C

That would be an enormous con. Or possibly a pro if I can aim the fan directly at myself because too few people choose to work out in the heat?

Hmm, I might be taking time to go tour it tomorrow, get a direct impression of the atmosphere and whether I'd feel uncomfortable as a petite newbie.

• Like 1

I would definitely ask if you could get a free trial week or a low cost trial month. If they are serious about their gym they will offer a 1 week or 1 month option. I would definitely never all out join a gym and sign a contract unless I had tried it out during the times I want to go and got a feel for the drive.

Just make sure you show your genuine interest so you don't come across as a flake. Not that you would. But I find in life that if you act with confidence you can get all sorts of things that would normally be refused. Like on Sunday when I clearly returned shoes I had already worn a couple of times and was like "I'm here to return these brand new shoes I bought online that just didn't fit right, no big deal." haha. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I would definitely ask if you could get a free trial week or a low cost trial month. If they are serious about their gym they will offer a 1 week or 1 month option. I would definitely never all out join a gym and sign a contract unless I had tried it out during the times I want to go and got a feel for the drive.

So second! Most places off a free trial week and that way you can really feel out if it's a good fit for you! Sounds like it's a bit of a hike but if you really really like being as opposed to somewhere else (my impetus for picking my current gym) there your schedule will fall into place around it :D 

And big whatever to that trainer dude, he doesn't have a gym, he has a private business for private customers. 

• Like 3

I will definitely ask! :)

Meanwhile, this morning was the first set of jokers I didn't fully complete :( I got 5 reps of 136 no problem, then a rep of 143, then 150 was just a big nope. The bright side is that rep of 143 was totally a PR :)

I'm all hamstrung out

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ixaera said:

I AM. My wallet can't handle it, but it's too late lol noragrats

In other news, had a disappointing experience TRYING to visit the lifting gym. :/ I could NOT find it. Google maps led me into a gravel private drive with no signs, so uh, that probably wasn't it. So I pulled into a parking lot (after sitting at a single lane backed up light for 10 minutes) and tried calling the gym (from the number on their website). First two times it goes to voicemail, which confirms it's the right number. Frustrated, I look at the map again, it's no help. I look around me, that's no help. Nothing.

I try one last time, a guy picks up and says "hello?" like it's a personal phone. A confusing back and forth ensues, where he does eventually say he owns the gym I'm looking for. Oh ok. Well, where is it? Oh they're having a class. Proceeds to say he's kind of a snob when I ask about pricing, doesn't really do the whole "just let people use the gym" thing, has classes, is trying to get away from the personal training business, charges $150/mo. Um. No. I cannot remotely afford that. I was thinking I'd go as high as $50 for a really good close gym, with an option to maybe separately pay for training/form lessons if I wanted and when my wallet was more favorable. So I'm like oh well thanks for your time no big.

Then he starts saying well it's a LIFTING gym they don't really have cardio. I mean, that's great but I didn't ask about cardio, so I tell him about my program a bit. He says oh why don't you just come in for free tomorrow, do your training, and check out our stuff. Well, isn't that pointless since I can't afford your membership fees? Oh maybe we can work something out. :/ Oh and how old are you? Oh you'd be in the OLDER division

I reluctantly agree to come in the following morning and ask for some damned directions. He proceeds to give TERRIBLE directions. I tried to follow them, I did not find the gym. Frustrated and disappointed, I went home.

The rec center is really great for what it is, all told. vOv

It's almost like he doesn't want your business....

13 hours ago, ixaera said:

I was hoping for a closer-to-my-house version of this place: http://www.metroflexgymnorthdallas.com/#!facilities/c66t

They publish their fees on their site, and I even have an old HS friend that goes there and loves it, 5 stars on google, can see the building from the actual street. Maybe it's worth the 10 miles out of my way. I'll continue to stew on it.

Edited to add, in case no one clicks the link: They have an on site barbeque pit. COME ON. how awesome is that 

Yep, this is like my gym. Worth the 11 miles I drive to get there. Despite the "Fancy fitness club" that is 2 miles away.

• Like 2

143? You're deep in big plates territory now! I think you're a lot stronger than you know and that number will keep creeping up.

Couldn't get 150 off the floor? What grip? If your hands budge during liftoff, the rest of the body generally goes nope nope nope.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ixaera said:

I AM. My wallet can't handle it, but it's too late lol noragrats

Remind me to say hi to you, then!

14 hours ago, ixaera said:

In other news, had a disappointing experience TRYING to visit the lifting gym. :/ I could NOT find it. Google maps led me into a gravel private drive with no signs, so uh, that probably wasn't it. So I pulled into a parking lot (after sitting at a single lane backed up light for 10 minutes) and tried calling the gym (from the number on their website). First two times it goes to voicemail, which confirms it's the right number. Frustrated, I look at the map again, it's no help. I look around me, that's no help. Nothing.

I try one last time, a guy picks up and says "hello?" like it's a personal phone. A confusing back and forth ensues, where he does eventually say he owns the gym I'm looking for. Oh ok. Well, where is it? Oh they're having a class. Proceeds to say he's kind of a snob when I ask about pricing, doesn't really do the whole "just let people use the gym" thing, has classes, is trying to get away from the personal training business, charges $150/mo. Um. No. I cannot remotely afford that. I was thinking I'd go as high as $50 for a really good close gym, with an option to maybe separately pay for training/form lessons if I wanted and when my wallet was more favorable. So I'm like oh well thanks for your time no big.

Then he starts saying well it's a LIFTING gym they don't really have cardio. I mean, that's great but I didn't ask about cardio, so I tell him about my program a bit. He says oh why don't you just come in for free tomorrow, do your training, and check out our stuff. Well, isn't that pointless since I can't afford your membership fees? Oh maybe we can work something out. :/ Oh and how old are you? Oh you'd be in the OLDER division

I reluctantly agree to come in the following morning and ask for some damned directions. He proceeds to give TERRIBLE directions. I tried to follow them, I did not find the gym. Frustrated and disappointed, I went home.

What is this?  Crossfit?

This does remind me of the box I visited a couple times vacationing in Hawaii.  It was located nowhere, behind an ice cream place and we get there on a gravel driveway and it was so tiny we could not find it.  We called for directions and then realized where it was.  However.  They offered a one-week membership for $30.  Smart marketing geared towards vacationers, I suppose. :D

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Grymm said:

143? You're deep in big plays territory now! I think you're a lot stronger than you know and that number will keep creeping up.

Couldn't get 150 off the floor? What grip? If your hands budge during liftoff, the rest of the body generally goes nope nope nope.

This. You can't win 'em all, but the important bit is you tried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

It's almost like he doesn't want your business....

INDEED. I think I won't be bothering to try again, there.

32 minutes ago, Grymm said:

143? You're deep in big plates territory now! I think you're a lot stronger than you know and that number will keep creeping up.

I felt like I might have been able to manage 145 or something. I use mixed grip, and my starting form is usually not great judging by how much easier follow up reps tend to be. I took a video of the 136 set, but it's practically useless for hands and feet placement because I was pointing the camera at my back angle.

31 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Remind me to say hi to you, then!

I will be the wide-eyed person muttering "WHAT have I gotten myself into this time" in the corner

28 minutes ago, Urgan said:

This. You can't win 'em all, but the important bit is you tried.

Can't argue that. When 150 didn't go up the first try, I jiggled with my position a bit and tried again. Then I took more rest and jiggled with my form a little more and tried again. The whole attempt process probably took me 5 minutes. I wanted to be damned sure it wasn't moving today lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I felt like I might have been able to manage 145 or something. I use mixed grip, and my starting form is usually not great judging by how much easier follow up reps tend to be. I took a video of the 136 set, but it's practically useless for hands and feet placement because I was pointing the camera at my back angle.

Don't be so quick to blame your form. It could be, but then your CNS is firing on all cylinders after it's been loaded a bit. Psychology--not sure of your strength and if you can lift the bar, okay so you lifted it once, you can do it again.  More than one factor at play. 

8 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Can't argue that. When 150 didn't go up the first try, I jiggled with my position a bit and tried again. Then I took more rest and ji

See, you did your best. Log it with pride and come back to it later. Soon...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I will be the wide-eyed person muttering "WHAT have I gotten myself into this time" in the corner

This was a lot like me last year.  A lot of that is because there were only a few people there that I knew and talked to online on a regular basis.  This year I know a lot more people, so it will be a little bit different.  My social energy varies, but a crowded room full of strangers is not my element.  Here is a story from dinner when I first arrived at Camp:

I filled my plate and looked around the room for a non-crowded part where I can watch people from a safe distance and selected the corner of an empty table.  A few minutes later, a young lady joined me.  Talking to her, I found out she was:

Also Canadian.

Also an engineer.  (I don't remember, but I may have spotted the ring and therefore both.)

Also studied electrical engineering.

Also power systems.

Small world. :lol:

I sometimes say, put two engineers in a crowded room and they will find each other.  Of course, at CNF the odds are much higher than that.

• Like 2

I'm lucky in that my boyfriend was also interested in going, so I won't just be floating around like it's the first day in a HS cafeteria (that was one of my fears when deciding to go in the first place). I have mild social anxiety that alcohol fixes almost entirely, so I'm sure I'll be medicating a bit, no matter what the kosher wine tastes like. (My camp challenge will be walking the tight rope of social wining--not whining--and waking up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for classes and activities.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

drove to this gym. too scared to leave car. they will smell my fear

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Over the BBQ?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Over the BBQ?

actual lol

After a texting pep talk, I went in. I was like "I am thinking about this gym can you show me the spiel" and I think he thought I was a little off my rocker, and when I asked about women's attendance he was like "um, duh" about it, so probably safe. I'm starting to think I give an air of 3 lb dumbbell cardio bunny because he didn't really perk up til he asked about my lifts and I talked about the program I'm on and joker sets and stuff. Before that moment, it was all kind of just "welp, there's the racks" *points* "there's the benches" *points* that's it, ready to sign up? Well uh? maybe??

And nothing was cooking on the BBQ, so I'm still not really sure how that works. I did end up signing up, though. And there isn't any A/C. I MIGHT die.

• Like 3

* throws confetti * They didn't kill and eat you, you might do after all!

But seriously, I think this is a good choice for you for multiple reasons. I trust the atmosphere was suitably motivational?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Urgan said:

* throws confetti * They didn't kill and eat you, you might do after all!

But seriously, I think this is a good choice for you for multiple reasons. I trust the atmosphere was suitably motivational?

I might be (a little) too big to put on the BBQ, is why.

Didn't get a great feel for the atmosphere. It was right before noon and only two people were in there. One guy was in the conditioning area outside slinging lacrosse balls (I think) and not paying any mind, and another guy was setting up to squat with his back to us. The music was actually quieted down, which the dude commented on, said it's usually blaring and it was "weird" that it wasn't.

Then we had a discussion about no A/C and he said it takes some acclimation, but after that you almost prefer lifting that way *SERIOUS DOUBT FACE*

I did concede that having actually warm muscles is pretty conducive to good lifting, and hey, I might actually really sweat for once. (I'm a freak of nature and even if I'm dying under the squat bar and my heart's been racing for 10 minutes, there's very little evidence beyond the red face. Heat and prolonged cardio will do it, though, probably.)

Anyway, Friday I should really bring a lot of cold water. I FORGOT to ask him if it was ok to bring my microplates.

• Like 1

I don't know about the no AC thing, but just bring those fractionals in with you. If they say ANYTHING about it other than "awesome" or some variant thereof, Leave. For srs now.

• Like 3

What was their opinion with chalk?  If it's a serious lifting gym, they should be fine with (or even have) chalk. 

Regarding A/C, I've taken to driving home from work with no A/C on days I lift.  Depending on how hot it is, I may even have the windows rolled up.  After a day of sitting in an air conditioned office, my connective tissue tends to be pretty stiff.  It takes a long time for some heat and pliability to soak in.  I lift in my basement, which is not air conditioned either, but generally not hot.  I'd say mid to upper 70s is typical.  I sweat a ton.  As long as it's not obnoxiously hot, I prefer no a/c.  When you are a sweaty mess and waiting 5 minutes between sets, nice cool a/c seems counter productive to staying warmed up.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Then we had a discussion about no A/C and he said it takes some acclimation, but after that you almost prefer lifting that way *SERIOUS DOUBT FACE*

I did concede that having actually warm muscles is pretty conducive to good lifting, and hey, I might actually really sweat for once. (I'm a freak of nature and even if I'm dying under the squat bar and my heart's been racing for 10 minutes, there's very little evidence beyond the red face. Heat and prolonged cardio will do it, though, probably.)

Anyway, Friday I should really bring a lot of cold water. I FORGOT to ask him if it was ok to bring my microplates.

My gym has no A/C and it sucks and you do not get used to it. It was 88 F in my gym last week and it sucked balls. Sweaty, oh so sweaty balls.

38 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I don't know about the no AC thing, but just bring those fractionals in with you. If they say ANYTHING about it other than "awesome" or some variant thereof, Leave. For srs now.

Second this. They don't deserve your membership then.

Seriously though everyone at my gym comes in with a whole truck full of gear or equipment. BYOB bitchezzz!!!

They should have no problem with it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

I suspect based on talking to that guy (who I realize now is one of the owners, he looks SO YOUNG though) that it's fine. I doubt they'll bug me about those, but I had totally meant to ask to be sure. I'll just do like I do now and bring 'em and be like "so what, you jelly?"

45 minutes ago, Grymm said:

What was their opinion with chalk?  If it's a serious lifting gym, they should be fine with (or even have) chalk. 

Regarding A/C, I've taken to driving home from work with no A/C on days I lift.  Depending on how hot it is, I may even have the windows rolled up.  After a day of sitting in an air conditioned office, my connective tissue tends to be pretty stiff.  It takes a long time for some heat and pliability to soak in.  I lift in my basement, which is not air conditioned either, but generally not hot.  I'd say mid to upper 70s is typical.  I sweat a ton.  As long as it's not obnoxiously hot, I prefer no a/c.  When you are a sweaty mess and waiting 5 minutes between sets, nice cool a/c seems counter productive to staying warmed up.

They have chalk and have snarky signs encouraging its use. I'm hoping from 7-8am the heat isn't too bad, but if I have to come in after work when it's 102F outside, I MIGHT die. Probably. Current gym is air conditioned, and I do have a tendency to check my fitbit to make sure my HR doesn't full under 107 when I'm into the bigger sets, because I'll get too cold resting and it'll screw with my sets~

So I definitely hear you on that!

25 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

My gym has no A/C and it sucks and you do not get used to it. It was 88 F in my gym last week and it sucked balls. Sweaty, oh so sweaty balls.

This is, I fear, probably the painful truth

19 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Bring all the stuff, if they call you out, apologize. You thought they owned a real gym, not a health spa.

Funny you say this, they apparently have a massage therapist on site??????

It struck me as bizarre because the place basically looks like a big heavy metal garage

• Like 3