• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera steals the Thief's Testimony~

6 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I hope so! I was feeling underwhelmed by original 5/3/1, this seems to promise more umpf? But yeah, Joker sets at 100/105/110, lul... my squat training max is 131 right now which I feel is uh... questionable. I could MAYBE do 125 once, after some solid carbs? Just not sure about these dang calculators.

From what I have read in Practical Programming the novice, advanced novice and maybe even early intermediate lifter doesn't really have a true 1RM. We lack the skill to pull off a proper 1 rep max. And even when we do a 1 rep max that is going to change again in a week or two (and improves session to session in a true novice). VS an advanced lifter, their 1RM is going to be their 1RM for a while and is a more accurate measure of their strength. This is the reason why novices, advanced novices, and early intermediates are better served by training in that 5 rep range for strength (plus or minus) because we don't need or benefit as much from doing a 1RM. Whereas an advanced lifter needs more singles and doubles to build strength. At least according to Mark Rippetoe. And at least for powerlifting. In Olympic weightlifting its a different story due to the types of movement. 

Don't like take what I said as gospel, I'm just relaying information that made sense to me. :) You can take it or leave it. And i'm not as eloquent and edited as a book. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

From what I have read in Practical Programming the novice, advanced novice and maybe even early intermediate lifter doesn't really have a true 1RM. We lack the skill to pull off a proper 1 rep max. And even when we do a 1 rep max that is going to change again in a week or two (and improves session to session in a true novice). VS an advanced lifter, their 1RM is going to be their 1RM for a while and is a more accurate measure of their strength. This is the reason why novices, advanced novices, and early intermediates are better served by training in that 5 rep range for strength (plus or minus) because we don't need or benefit as much from doing a 1RM. Whereas an advanced lifter needs more singles and doubles to build strength. At least according to Mark Rippetoe. And at least for powerlifting. In Olympic weightlifting its a different story due to the types of movement. 

Don't like take what I said as gospel, I'm just relaying information that made sense to me. :) You can take it or leave it. And i'm not as eloquent and edited as a book. 

I'm probably somewhere between novice and advanced novice, depending on the lift, honestly. I had 8 months of starting strength back in 2013, and on 5th month of lifting this time around. I'm definitely stalling hard on 5x5's with squats in particular, and ohp also. I swapped out of StrongLifts just because I was feeling SO beat down from squats in general. On squats I had switched to 5x3's and a light day in the middle of the week but it was still kind of miserable (this is while eating over maintenance, gaining weight, and sleeping well, so vOv)

So mainly it's a move to counter the frustration I was feeling there. I'm less interested in 1RMs as a rule since I don't compete and likely won't, but they are fun to try :) I just really really don't think they apply to me (at least not yet) as a thing I can actually lift, but maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised. I doubt my technique is there, and I suspect I have some deficiencies specific to me (maybe my hypothyroidism plays a role? I have no idea, I'd like to think not.) I really know very little, I just know that as long as I keep lifting and keep trying hard to get form down and eating my protein, I will get stronger. It's very hard to get weaker being consistent on ANY program!

• Like 3

There is a weight of which you can only lift for a single, so technically you in fact have 1RMs on your lifts.

Today.

The problem is, it's worthless to you as a measure of your strength, because you should be able to increase weight every session or or two sessions a week if you were implementing a light day as an advanced novice. Put another way, you should have a new 1RM every session, or at least every week.

If you are going to do Beyond 5/3/1, do the whole program; you'll get best results this way. One reason for this is once you permit program modifications from the start, you're inclined to let fear dictate those modifications (I would be guilty of a sin of omission if I did not point out that this is a program geared toward an advanced intermediate/advanced lifter, as it specifies monthly increases and no programmed PR attempts, unless I've overlooked it--you can still improve with it, but you'll have to bear down and know no fear), and another is all the parts of a quality program work together to build a stronger lifter. Objectively speaking you're only just starting this updated program, so there's no reason not to try a couple of those Jokers, is there? I think you can do more than you think you can do. Here's a trick I do to myself all the time when I "don't think I can manage all those sets today": just do one set, see how it feels. Darn if I don't end up doing the entire planned session...  

Hypothyroidism is something you're managing well, yes? I'd view it as a potential hazard primarily to recovery because of the mood and energy-related things it can do to you, but if it's under control and you are operating normally throughout the day, then it shouldn't necessarily be a limiter to your progress. The body adapts, it's not just neuromuscular changing to be more efficient at picking up heavy things. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Urgan said:

If you are going to do Beyond 5/3/1, do the whole program; you'll get best results this way. One reason for this is once you permit program modifications from the start, you're inclined to let fear dictate those modifications (I would be guilty of a sin of omission if I did not point out that this is a program geared toward an advanced intermediate/advanced lifter, as it specifies monthly increases and no programmed PR attempts, unless I've overlooked it--you can still improve with it, but you'll have to bear down and know no fear), and another is all the parts of a quality program work together to build a stronger lifter.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not, but the Joker sets are 100% of training max, then on up. Fear is a little of it, but it's also serious doubt that if I can barely pull off 5x3 reps of 121 while overfed and rested, that 131 (100% of TM) would be pie in the sky material for me? Is that actually reasonable, and I'm just dead wrong?

• Like 1

(To clarify, I'm asking seriously, since trying #'s wayyy over my previous PRs seems out of my league, but I'm super inexperienced, so seriously what do I know)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not, but the Joker sets are 100% of training max, then on up. Fear is a little of it, but it's also serious doubt that if I can barely pull off 5x3 reps of 121 while overfed and rested, that 131 (100% of TM) would be pie in the sky material for me? Is that actually reasonable, and I'm just dead wrong?

The sad truth is I'm not familiar with 5/3/1's specifics, so I went into Black Iron Beast and calculated my theoretical TM, so what I'm gonna do is walk you through what I understand and see if this lines up to your understanding and what you supplied the calculator. Okay, so my real rep maxes are:

Press: 3 at 65

Bench: 3 at 85

Squat: 2 at 177.5

Deadlift: 2 at 208.5

If you plug this in and calculate, this leads to a TM of:

Press: 60

Bench: 79.5

Squat: 160

Deadlift: 188

Given what I'm working on with my current training, this percentage of my maxes looks completely realistic, given these are actually close to what I'm lifting in some cases, and I know I can lift this. And looking at the percentage breakouts for what I should be selecting to train with (65+%), the weights look manageable. Yours should be proportional, unless I am missing something and I could very well be.

2 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

How did you calculate your training max? And how does Beyond 5/3/1 ask you to calculate your training max?

I believe this is a very relevant question, as based on what little I've seen, I don't see how the Jokers would begin with commanding numbers beyond what you've ever lifted before. To be specific, I think you're starting too high and that explains a lot about why you may feel afraid! 

• Like 1

Embarrassing, but I think you guys are onto something here... my first cycle I calculated it off of symmetricstrength and took 90% of THAT, which is I think a different formula but I didn't even imagine it might be. But... it is SO different now that I'm actually examining the formula and using it to calculate instead of that site. :o

I am naught but a fool this day.

ON THE PLUS SIDE, THE JOKER SETS MAKE MORE SENSE NOW

Today's entertainment brought to you by the letters D, U, M, and B!

• Like 3

After reading Urgan's post I also went to Black Iron Beast and it is possible you are also misunderstanding the joker sets. It says you should be adding weight to what you did for your AMRAP, not going to 100% TM. From what I'm reading. 

Joker Sets
+5% more than the AMRAP work set
 +10%
 +15%
 +20%
 +25%
 +30%

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

Embarrassing, but I think you guys are onto something here... my first cycle I calculated it off of symmetricstrength and took 90% of THAT, which is I think a different formula but I didn't even imagine it might be. But... it is SO different now that I'm actually examining the formula and using it to calculate instead of that site. :o

I am naught but a fool this day.

ON THE PLUS SIDE, THE JOKER SETS MAKE MORE SENSE NOW

Today's entertainment brought to you by the letters D, U, M, and B!

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

More plus side, there is probably nothing wrong with me, then!

No harm done, right? In full disclosure, this is where I was calculating maxes. 

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

After reading Urgan's post I also went to Black Iron Beast and it is possible you are also misunderstanding the joker sets. You should be adding weight to what you did for your AMRAP, not going to 100% TM. From what I'm reading. 

Yeah, my best explanation would be Jokers can be basically more intensity or PR attempts depending on how many you choose to and are optional. So theoretically, you could plug some in if you are feeling good or leave 'em off if you aren't feeling so hot. If I were you, I'd take advantage of these to PR often (every session, every other session, something like that), because you've got a lot in you.

• Like 2

@Taddea Zhaan you are totally right, I was reading a week by week example of it, and he was adding 10% (but he actually SAYS 5-10%, so 5% is totally acceptable), and it just so happens the AMRAP set on week 1 the variation I'm doing is 90%, so it went up to 100%, but 95% would be fine it seems~

BEING NEW IS SO HARD

Thank you both for conspiring to help me not break myself~

*reoutfits tomorrow's workout*

it is looking much more sane and doable now.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ixaera said:

@Taddea Zhaan you are totally right, I was reading a week by week example of it, and he was adding 10% (but he actually SAYS 5-10%, so 5% is totally acceptable), and it just so happens the AMRAP set on week 1 the variation I'm doing is 90%, so it went up to 100%, but 95% would be fine it seems~

BEING NEW IS SO HARD

It's cool yo. Programs can be hard to interpret. I did a lot of reading on the Juggernaut and got the book and still read some more and tweaked an excel file that was built for it, just to make sure I wasn't messing up, haha. So I can see where it is easy to go awry! I read so many stories of people messing up the Juggernaut. It seems it's easy to misunderstand a program. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ixaera said:

BEING NEW IS SO HARD

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It's cool yo. Programs can be hard to interpret. I did a lot of reading on the Juggernaut and got the book and still read some more and tweaked an excel file that was built for it, just to make sure I wasn't messing up, haha. So I can see where it is easy to go awry! I read so many stories of people messing up the Juggernaut. It seems it's easy to misunderstand a program. 

Any program that requires a two step calculation leaves the door wide open for confusion. It inherently makes me more cautious, that's for sure. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Any program that requires a two step calculation leaves the door wide open for confusion. It inherently makes me more cautious, that's for sure. 

I definitely wouldn't have done Juggernaut if there hadn't been an excel file I could customize. It even rounds up the math for me, I just had to change the amounts because I bought 1.25 plates so that I could do increments of 2.5#. 

• Like 2

-

Week 3, Day 5

Inventory Culling

I was a bad bad Mithra.

Did fine-ish, then was invited to a work happy hour where I drank WAY too much, got (easily) convinced to down half someone's brisket cheese fries, was driven home, where I passed out only to wake up to barf at 4 am. SOMEHOW I am not miserable this morning, but I'm also not strong. Since my plan's a bit flexible on the weekends (I can work out either Saturday or Sunday, plus coming off of deload it probably doesn't matter even the little it might if I was mid-cycle) I'm going to just light cardio today instead and then do squat day Sunday when hopefully I'm feeling stronger.

Grinding Skill Points

Deload Bench

Just did the bar for a 3x5, but I messed up the first set, confused it with accessory from Monday and did a 1x10 the first set. Oops.

Then shoulder pressed a straight bar 5x10 for 30 lbs.

Then dumbbell rows for 20 lbs 5x10

Then barbell curls for 26 lbs 5x10

FORGOT TO DO PUSHUPS, or rather, didn't do them before I left for happy hour at 5 pm. Doing 44 on this, my last day of them, to compensate.

22 pushups! Didn't!

Day 21 NOT completed!

If you want to participate and have not been challenged, consider yourself challenged!
Later on today I'm going to hunt down that donation site again and send some money in lieu of direct challenges: stop22.org

Meat Mithkabobs

70g protein

Oops. Honestly, there was probably a little more. The cheese fries entry I used on MFP wasn't BRISKET cheese fries, you see.

Mithra Stretchcat

This went the way of the pushups, really.

Random Sidequest

SPENT ALL OF THEM YESTERDAY

but I'm not in the negative.

I have 7 left. I really need to start remembering in the moment that those drinks cost points, y'all. I forget, every time. Now I have to work for all my gaming time this weekend, but I've got a system now and I ain't too mad at it (beyond drinking too damned much and being too weak to squat today... if it were another day of the week like mon/wed/fri, I'd have just had to wing my lifts and >:|

• Like 2

ffxi-o.gif

I don't know what's happening here. Is she turning the goblin into a Yagudo with her ninjitsu powers??

Week 3, Day 6

Inventory Culling

Did really great considering the sushi and red bean ice cream~

Grinding Skill Points

Skipped squats yesterday, because I can do them today, and probably stronger. (T minus 2 hours from now, I'm a BIT nervous about attempting high weights on the joker sets still, even though chances are I can actually DO the first two joker sets at least. 126 lbs though? Yikes omg here's hoping)

It's occurring to me that these might be called joker sets because you put the weight on the bar, make an attempt and then go HAHAHAHA JUST JOKING *fail*

(I will try really, really hard not to fail. I've never used the safety rails YET but today may be the day.)

Lifting gym didn't get back to me AGAIN. They're making it sound like I need an appointment to come tour or something (can I just look around and get a pricing sheet please?)

sigh

Did 44 pushups yesterday~

22 pushups! Done!

Day 22 completed!

If you want to participate and have not been challenged, consider yourself challenged!
Later on today I'm going to hunt down that donation site again and send some money in lieu of direct challenges: stop22.org

Meat Mithkabobs

62g protein

:S

Mithra Stretchcat

Did this, even though it felt unneeded. Focused ankles and hamstrings, rolled feets, minor quads, rolled calves and stretched those too. Gonna do this all again shortly with some dynamic moves pre-squats.

Random Sidequest

Played games, ended the day with like 1 (positive). Looks like the boyfriend's younger brother, who is an unruly, out of control teenager with some serious troubles is staying with us next Friday. I'm not a kids-person in general, but teenagers get under my skin. I'm going to need to pile up on patience reserves big time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

Played games, ended the day with like 1 (positive). Looks like the boyfriend's younger brother, who is an unruly, out of control teenager with some serious troubles is staying with us next Friday. I'm not a kids-person in general, but teenagers get under my skin. I'm going to need to pile up on patience reserves big time.

Times like these, remember you love your boyfriend, lol. You don't have to love the kid brother, tho~

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I DID THE THING

PR HIGH IS REAL

And you did it while not feeling all that prepared to do so, right? This is an important thing, and it makes this PR about 10,000 times more consequential because you get to experience that feeling of going above and beyond. This is a thing I didn't really understand for an embarrassingly long time (>1 year....). I'm still playing mind games to get myself under the bar some days, but come to find out, as long as you follow the program you can generally manage at least a single~ And for max effort squats, a single is all you need, lol. Especially on 5/3/1, where you're all set up to rep PR in a week or two. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Urgan said:

And you did it while not feeling all that prepared to do so, right? This is an important thing, and it makes this PR about 10,000 times more consequential because you get to experience that feeling of going above and beyond. This is a thing I didn't really understand for an embarrassingly long time (>1 year....). I'm still playing mind games to get myself under the bar some days, but come to find out, as long as you follow the program you can generally manage at least a single~ And for max effort squats, a single is all you need, lol. Especially on 5/3/1, where you're all set up to rep PR in a week or two. 

NOT AT ALL PREPARED. I set up the weights, double checked, made a face at it because lol no way, scanned the people in the gym to see if anyone was looking (no, of course not)

I'd only managed 2 at 120 (truthfully, a 3rd MAYBE was possible today, but I psyched myself out), so I was getting ready to need fail rails, but then it just went up. I wouldn't say "easily" by any stretch, and it felt as heavy as it was, but I was somewhat surprised it happened.

PROOF 

https://youtu.be/GKve_TYH1sQ

(it looks quite a bit easier than it was)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I see the wobble, I see the effort, but it went up just fine~ Hello new benchmark.

16 minutes ago, ixaera said:

(it looks quite a bit easier than it was)

This is a thing. It is quite ironic, isn't it? 

• Like 2