• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ixaera

ixaera steals the Thief's Testimony~

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

(it looks quite a bit easier than it was)

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

This is a thing. It is quite ironic, isn't it? 

The grind was visible. :)

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

I see the wobble, I see the effort, but it went up just fine~ Hello new benchmark.

Pretty much this.

Very late to the party.  Hi!

• Like 2

Tonberrychopper.jpg

the end of the challenge is creepin' up just like this lil green guy

Week 3, Day 7

Inventory Culling

Basically maintenance today. So much hungry. The beast had a name and it was eat everything

Including a complete cookie

earned that bad boy though

Grinding Skill Points

Squatterday!

• 48 lb x 5 reps
  • 60 lb x 5 reps
  • 72 lb x 3 reps
  • 84 lb x 3 reps
  • 96 lb x 3 reps
  • 108 lb x 5 reps
  • 114 lb x 3 reps
  • 120 lb x 2 reps
  • 126 lb x 1 reps (PR)

Copy pasta from fitocracy b/c easier. HONESTLY, the first six sets felt like the warm-up. The first three absolutely are on purpose, the next three are the base 5/3/1 sets for this week, then the joker sets hit. 114 & 120 I knew already I could do at least 2 or 3 of. 126 I loaded up the bar, looked around, was like lol these people gonna watch me fail in a sec, but nope. Yay happy completion of reps!

Deadlifts

5x3 at 129 lbs

This was interesting. I've done 5 reps of 136 before, but I had the DANGEDEST time getting the first rep off the ground. I have read about this phenomenon, and it is likely that I started with poor starting position, then set it back down more naturally in the correct position. Either way, I drew glances from another deadlifter for my cursing at that first set.

Straight-leg Deadlifts

5x10 at 60 lbs

Wasn't aiming to work too hard here, just throwing in some hamstring assistance. 

Best workout in a month, if I do say so myself. My body agreed, and was pretty much begging for extra fuel all day. I obliged, to a point. 

Benches tomorrow! I can probably handle the first two joker sets here, but that third one is lol wut again. Maybe I'll get to practice my roll of shame technique.

Meat Mithkabobs

132g protein

Fixed my not-really-good curry leftovers with 2 tsp cinnamon. Much better. Not awesome, but wayyy more edible. Which is good, because it's basically a protein bomb.

Mithra Stretchcat

Pre-squat leg stuff. Went heavy on the foot rollin'.

Random Sidequest

Balance of 8 after earning 27 today and spending 20. Even wrote a bit. Boyfriend, meanwhile, after 4 years of living in this house and having guests in the past, suddenly fixed the shower handles in the guest bathroom. I guess the teenage terror coming to stay isn't all bad.

Week 3 Summary

Inventory Culling

Average 1486

Over target, under maintenance. 

Fail-ish.

Grinding Skill Points

4/4, can't keep me away from the gym \o/

Meat Mithkabobs

5/7

B

Avg: 101, don't know that it works that way tho

Mithra Stretchcat

5/7

B

Random Sidequest

Still positive, having mostly desired effect. Wish I would study more. Might put a premium on those points for a bit.

Still doing okay this challenge. Aiming to finish strong on the cut goal next week, then there's only one more week of cut before I head back to maintenance territory for a stretch.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Basically maintenance today. So much hungry. The beast had a name and it was eat everything

Including a complete cookie

earned that bad boy though

Today is a good day to eat more calories for less soreness tomorrow~

52 minutes ago, ixaera said:

4/4, can't keep me away from the gym \o/

Big deal, this is one.

• Like 1

More spoilers: Did not need the roll of shame today \o/

Still, Wednesday's 143/150 lb sets for deadlift? SURELY I will fail those. SURELY. (I mean that's a lot! For me.)

15 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Still, Wednesday's 143/150 lb sets for deadlift? SURELY I will fail those. SURELY. (I mean that's a lot! For me.)

You might surprise yourself!  It is one of those wonders of LP.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ixaera said:

How many do you have to do? I think you can do it! As we have seen, you are stronger than you think you are!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

How many do you have to do? I think you can do it! As we have seen, you are stronger than you think you are!

It's by feel, according to Wendler's book. You go all out, but you aren't trying to murder yourself. It should still be hard, though. My interpretation is that if you feel like the next rep has a high potential to fail, it's within program to stop there. I don't think you're even necessarily required to do any joker sets to "level up" to the next cycle so to speak, so failing to do a set isn't the WORST ever. Well, besides the feeling of setting up 150 lbs, then standing there pulling at it like a doofus. (I did that with 129 lbs yesterday, so my starting position really needs to get on point to do 143+.)

I try to do at least 3/2/1, and more if there's enough gas in the tank. Today's bench was more like 5/3/2 though, compared to yesterday's squats of 3/2/1.

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

It's by feel, according to Wendler's book. You go all out, but you aren't trying to murder yourself. It should still be hard, though. My interpretation is that if you feel like the next rep has a high potential to fail, it's within program to stop there. I don't think you're even necessarily required to do any joker sets to "level up" to the next cycle so to speak, so failing to do a set isn't the WORST ever. Well, besides the feeling of setting up 150 lbs, then standing there pulling at it like a doofus. (I did that with 129 lbs yesterday, so my starting position really needs to get on point to do 143+.)

I try to do at least 3/2/1, and more if there's enough gas in the tank. Today's bench was more like 5/3/2 though, compared to yesterday's squats of 3/2/1.

To be honest I don't think people in the gym are really paying attention. So if you set it up and find you can't lift it, it's only if it bothers you. I've never paid attention to whether or not someone has missed a lift. I can't even think of one time I watched someone miss a lift, because I'm really not paying attention. I may *look* at other people, but I'm not *seeing* other people. If that makes sense. Like the difference between hearing and listening. 

• Like 1

Late reporting in, but you know what I'm gonna say...LIFT THE THING. The worst that could happen is the weight doesn't budge. As long as you aren't candy caning your spine, you only stand to gain. You are small but mighty. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

How did you know I wore the green armor to work today

Ever watch the very first episode of the very first season of The Guild?

JK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam Ashen said:

Ever watch the very first episode of the very first season of The Guild?

JK

I did of course 

Some things are so relatable they almost physically hurt lolol

• Like 1

Here's an update on how OHP form is going. Still some visible arcing to me, but straighter body and I think I'm finally feeling the springi-ness from tightening the quads, maybe.

Spoiler

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Here's an update on how OHP form is going. Still some visible arcing to me, but straighter body and I think I'm finally feeling the springi-ness from tightening the quads, maybe.

Reveal hidden contents

This is one of those times where I wish I was right there with you, because you are sooooo close. It's improving, without a doubt, you're almost there. You just need more movement in the hips. Imagine you're wearing a belt and you only want to touch the buckle of that belt to the mirror. Your knees don't bend, your back doesn't extend (or flex), that's how you create that tight bow-like feeling in the quads. That last rep was the right idea, but you started popping the bar up first BEFORE the thrust, which is backwards. Thrust, then pop the bar up overhead. 

I have a stretching exercise for you to try, it's a little silly, but it'll help you drill this motion you need to do before the bar begins to move. Do it a bunch of times to help you get a feel for it without the bar complicating things. Okay, here's how it works:

1. Stand with your feet about a shoulder width apart, like you'd do for the press. You are in a neutral upright position, arms at your sides. They won't be involved in this. 

2. Lock your knees by purposefully engaging your quads. At no point will your knees bend.

3. Push your hips forward (think belt buckle). You should feel your glutes kick on to keep you standing up. Your quads are tight as a bow string--this is the critical bit.

Note: This isn't a back bend, your back should be neutral, only moving insofar as your hips dictate a new angle. This will feel a little awkward, especially if your BF is around, lol.

4.  Now return to normal standing pose. You should feel a natural "spring" action in your quads assisting you. This should be a rapid action, but don't over-compensate by going out of vertical alignment in the other direction. The final position should be stacked and neutral from head to feet.

If you felt the "spring" here, that is what you want with the OHP. You'll load your body with locked knees and tight quads, and the instant you execute a successful hip thrust is the instant the bar moves, because again your head should be tilted juuuust enough out of the way as to create a vertical bar path. The bar pops up, you return to vertical. 

• Like 3

I really wish that one video by Rippetoe had actually videoed the hips, where the action was happening. I find it hard to duplicate physical movements in the first place, much less from text and verbs and such only! I try~

I will continue to try~

windurst00intro.jpg

Week 4, Day 1

Inventory Culling

Good day. Did not eat all the oreos or the m&ms. Success.

Grinding Skill Points

Bench Press Day!

Benches

2x5 45 lbs

1x3 45 lbs 

1x3 49 lbs

1x3 56 lbs

1x8 63 lbs <-- had a 9th in there easy but some douchenozzle walked up and looked at my face and majorly distracted me. As far as I could tell, they didn't even want anything?? arg

1x5 66.5 lbs

1x3 70 lbs

1x2 73.5 lbs

So basically a PR, followed by another PR. Bench has felt strong for a while, I think there will be no problem with jokers in 2 weeks when the big joker hits.

OHP

5x3 49 lbs

DB Row

5x5 25 lbs

Felt like smaller sets at higher weights today.

BB Curl

3x3 40 lbs

2x2 40 lbs

Same deal, just changing things up a bit. :)

Meat Mithkabobs

101g protein

Mithra Stretchcat

Rolled all my DOMS, stretched out a bit, rolled pecs and shoulders and found some surprise sore spots there already. Should at least sit down in squats with a counterbalance before bed, was hard to talk myself into it earlier because ALL the doms. (All of them.)

Random Sidequest

Still have 8. Earned equal to spending today. Work was crazy, so wasn't much random time to sneak in studying or writing, and I just plain needed the gaming break after work today.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ixaera said:

1x8 63 lbs <-- had a 9th in there easy but some douchenozzle walked up and looked at my face and majorly distracted me. As far as I could tell, they didn't even want anything?? arg

So you were on the bench doing reps and they leaned over and looked you in the face?  Like super creepy-like?

Like this?

f97f3d9b3e59b8d1a7b858fe3b1bfe91.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ixaera said:

I really wish that one video by Rippetoe had actually videoed the hips, where the action was happening. I find it hard to duplicate physical movements in the first place, much less from text and verbs and such only! I try~

I will continue to try~

i'm right there with you. I'm still struggling with the hips. It feels totally unnatural. Gonna try out Urgan's tips. 

I am however starting to get a hang of the tricep drive though, where your elbows are tad in front of the bar to assist in the drive up. I'm not sure if that was an issue for you too, but despite reading Starting Strength and watching the Rippetoe video I had somehow forgotten about that. My BF Alan Thrall reminded me though. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Grymm said:

f97f3d9b3e59b8d1a7b858fe3b1bfe91.jpg

Hahah They way they came up made me think they were going to ask how many sets I had left (why would anyone do that MID set), but then I kinda wobbled and lost track of them while setting the bar back in the pegs. They were gone when I sat up. Maybe I looked like someone they knew (I get that a lot). Maybe they were just looking vaguely at me while actually passing by. Either way! Distracting!

10 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My BF Alan Thrall reminded me though.

He's your BF too????

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Hahah They way they came up made me think they were going to ask how many sets I had left (why would anyone do that MID set), but then I kinda wobbled and lost track of them while setting the bar back in the pegs. They were gone when I sat up. Maybe I looked like someone they knew (I get that a lot). Maybe they were just looking vaguely at me while actually passing by. Either way! Distracting!

My best guess is that they were being overly male and they saw you getting past 7 reps and were like "oh shit, she might need a spot, I better run over there and save the day!" I think it is reasonable for someone to do this - if you think it looked like you were getting near failure. If your set was looking easy peasy, then they were being Rude with a capital R. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ixaera said:

He's your BF too????

I've def had that, in a few different ways too! There have been a few instances where after a squat I'm having trouble getting the bar back on the rack (I have to use a stepper thing to reach it lol) and a few times I've almost failed and look like I'm about to roll out and had a handful of people rush over :P Also just in general, the mirror-bounce look can be super distracting mid lift if I catch someone's eye... creeper or accident it's unsettling... and forget spots! I have yet to have a bench spot that didn't F me up royally. At this point I just don't clip the bar so I can dump it in case of failure. Much better than having someone hovering over me...

• Like 3