• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grizzy

Grizzy lifts and eats souls... I mean, protein!

I feel terrible today, which has been tempting me to make a really easy challenge. But I shouldn't really be making it easier than the last challenge, since I haven't really had an uptick in stress or personal responsibilities, I just got lazy the last two weeks of last challenge.

This challenge is going to be Soul Eater themed!

giphy.gif

Goal 1: Work out like Blackstar

giphy.gif

As a character, I usually didn't like Blackstar, but he's super focused on his physical training and confident in his abilities, and that's something I can work on.

I have four groups of workouts, and I want to do each type of workout 1-3 days a week. (1x=C, 2x=B, 3x=A)

1. Squats
  2. Overhead press and bench press
  3. Deadlift and power clean
  4. Fun stuff - yoga, skateboarding, or anything that I might do on a whim that is physical and fun.

Goal 2: Eat protein like Soul eats souls

200.gif

I gotta keep eating my protein to get stronger! I only did okay at my goal last challenge of eating 100g protein/day, though if I could push it up nearer 110 I would be pleased. Ultimately I would like to go for .6xlbs of bodyweight in grams, which right now would be 120/day. I'm going to leave my protein goal at 100g for now, and say that my calorie goal will shift to allowing me 1500-2000 calories, even on weekends! No more, no less. I hope that the greater flexibility will keep me from having 1200 calorie days and no energy to lift and then eating absurdly over the weekend thinking that it probably balances out. More calories also leaves more room for protein. This also requires that I count everything, as closely as possible. I might get an additional food scale to bring with me to work. I'll also be weighing myself weekly to make sure 2000 is not too high an upper limit. Grading based on % of times I accomplish each goal.

Goal 3: Walka with Maka (at least at the ending credits)

giphy.gif

I just needed a way to incorporate a character in with a walking goal! I have a step tracker now, and want a daily step goal.

A=10,000 steps

B=7,500-9,999 steps

C=5,000-7499 steps

D=4,000-4,999 steps

F=0-3,999 steps

I'm planning on taking hourly 500-step walk breaks at work to help me accomplish this, which if I remember every time, is 4,000 steps by itself. I also have Pokemon, Go! which is a bit of an incentive to walk around the neighborhood or on some trails.

LUYL Goal: Watch less Netflix and Youtube like... everyone?

giphy.gif

I'm kind of reaching here and just saying "oh yeah, the soul eater cast doesn't watch Netflix or Youtube."

Last challenge I kicked Reddit and Imgur to the curb. This challenge I'm going to cut out Netflix and Youtube, unless I'm:

• Watching with other people
  • Watching in order to learn how to do something, i.e. skateboard trick how-to's, lifting form cue and tip videos, yoga videos, etc..

Note:

I'm visiting family in a cabin on August 5-10, during which I'll have no access to barbells or dumbbells, and I may not have sufficient space to do yoga. Because of this, I'm considering my personal challenge to be 7/10-8/05. My goals during travel time will be continue to walk, read, don't gorge myself, and take pretty pictures. Anything else is just gravy.

Result Goals:

• Get down to 198 lbs-- largely because on ExRx, that's the first level below the highest weight where they list standards for women. This isn't really a stretch-- about a 1.8 lb loss from my last weigh-in, so my stretch goal would be to get down to 195.
  • Hit at least novice standards on primary 4 lifts. Assuming I hit 198 lbs bw, this means I'll have to try singles on the bench for 115 lbs and the deadlift for at least 185 lbs. I've already hit the novice single rep levels for that weight on squat and OHP. I'm tempted to try these the next time I do these lifts, so that I can adjust this goal if it's something I'm already capable of. Once I've got that down, my big goal will be to get all singles up to intermediate levels through a combination of weight loss and strength gains.
Edited by Grizzy
result goals
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm so disappointed that there will be no actual soul eating. 

If you figure out how to do this, let me know. I'm sure it would make me more powerful!

• Like 1

Yesterday (7/10):

-Did Overhead presses.

-Ate 1521 calories, 113 g protein.

-Walked 8,632 steps

-Did watch a few minutes of Youtube, prior to deciding I would quit as part of my challenge.

I'm beginning to realize how far we are into the summer. I've been thinking of getting my Master's degree at the 'easy' college nearby, because my work will pay for it and give me a raise if I complete it. I'm just trying to decide

1. Am I ready? I did a year of a Master's program and really hated it previously. On top of that, I JUST moved, and I'm not sure if I'm settled enough.
  2. What would I want to study? I could get a degree which is mostly stuff I already know and have it be easy, or do something more challenging but engaging.
  3. Would I stay with my current company for long enough for it to be worthwhile? If I leave less than two years after they pay for any given class, I would have to pay it back.
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

I'm beginning to realize how far we are into the summer. I've been thinking of getting my Master's degree at the 'easy' college nearby, because my work will pay for it and give me a raise if I complete it. I'm just trying to decide

1. Am I ready? I did a year of a Master's program and really hated it previously. On top of that, I JUST moved, and I'm not sure if I'm settled enough.
  2. What would I want to study? I could get a degree which is mostly stuff I already know and have it be easy, or do something more challenging but engaging.
  3. Would I stay with my current company for long enough for it to be worthwhile? If I leave less than two years after they pay for any given class, I would have to pay it back.

I would say first answer the question of why you want to get a Masters. That can help answer your other questions.

If it is only because work will pay for it is it worth it?

• Like 3

Just now, miss_marissa said:

I would say first answer the question of why you want to get a Masters. That can help answer your other questions.

If it is only because work will pay for it is it worth it?

Largely because work will pay for it and after will pay me more just for being in possession of a Master's, and will promote me faster just for pursuing a Master's. I might spend the next 6 months exploring topics related to some of the programs I'm considering just to see if there is a topic that I have enough interest in learning more about to make it about more than just money.

• Like 2

Today 7/11:

Squats, scaled back to 135 to account for slacking losses. Power cleans for 65 lbs starting to feel better.

1582 calories

136 g protein

10775 steps

30 minutes yoga

Not You tubing is really hard, but I'm doing well so far. 

Edited by Grizzy
Additional workout stuff
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

Today:

Squats, scaled back to 135 to account for slacking losses. Power cleans for 65 lbs starting to feel better.

1582 calories

136 g protein

10254 steps so far

Not You tubing is really hard, but I'm doing well so far. 

Good job on the lift and keep staying away from Youtube,

I know it has eaten up so much of my time...

7/12:

-11634 steps 

-OHP for 65 and bench for 75 (deloaded both)

-1998 calories

-105 g protein

-30 min yoga

-Stayed away from YouTube and Netflix. But I miss them.

• Like 1

Netflix is evil. But at least evil enough that I'll cancel my cable next year when my contract runs out, so not that evil? Maybe? 

8 hours ago, Grizzy said:

-Stayed away from YouTube and Netflix. But I miss them.

I may be joining you on some of the media blackouts for the main challenge...

40 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Netflix is evil. But at least evil enough that I'll cancel my cable next year when my contract runs out, so not that evil? Maybe? 

We ditched cable a few years ago and have been streaming only ever since. It's pretty good and to be fair we don't watch a ton of tv, but without basic cable I admit that jeopardy and wheel of fortune are both missed!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I may be joining you on some of the media blackouts for the main challenge...

We ditched cable a few years ago and have been streaming only ever since. It's pretty good and to be fair we don't watch a ton of tv, but without basic cable I admit that jeopardy and wheel of fortune are both missed!

I got cable when my SO moved in because he's obsessed with Comedy Central. But now they have an app and you can get some content through that, so I'm not going to pay for cable much longer. Although technically speaking we have Dish satellite and it is cheaper, but free is cheaper! ;) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I got cable when my SO moved in because he's obsessed with Comedy Central. But now they have an app and you can get some content through that, so I'm not going to pay for cable much longer. Although technically speaking we have Dish satellite and it is cheaper, but free is cheaper! ;) 

Honestly, there's a lot that I miss, but only when I remember to! It's not like me, but there are many nights now where the tv stays completetly off and I don't even need cartoons to fall asleep to like I've been doing for the last 20 years or so lol. Kind of a new development but I can't imagine why that would be bad!

• Like 1

To be cross-posted to the book section of the forums, but a question for y'all: Do you prefer to buy books, or borrow them?

I'm a bit conflicted over this topic, because on the one hand, I try to be responsible with money and not be such a HUGE consumerist. I also tend to not re-read books, so having them on my shelf after I've read them just seems like a waste of space, especially if my feelings about the books were "meh" or worse.

On the other hand, there are some newer books out that I have absolutely loved, and I hate thinking about the fact that some of my favorite books came from the library, and so I have never supported the author financially. I also want to recommend some of these books to friends, and it's easier to get them to read them if I just hand them to them and say READ THIS rather than them having to do the work of buying the book or seeking it out at the library.

So I'm considering implementing a policy of book buying as such:

-Buy a book if I want to read it and the library doesn't have it.

-Buy a book if you've read it, loved it, and want everyone to read it so you can thrust it upon others.

-Generally don't buy a book that is the first in the series of something you've never read before, but maybe buy a book you've already read if it's in a series that you love.

Does that make sense?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grizzy said:

To be cross-posted to the book section of the forums, but a question for y'all: Do you prefer to buy books, or borrow them?

I'm a bit conflicted over this topic, because on the one hand, I try to be responsible with money and not be such a HUGE consumerist. I also tend to not re-read books, so having them on my shelf after I've read them just seems like a waste of space, especially if my feelings about the books were "meh" or worse.

On the other hand, there are some newer books out that I have absolutely loved, and I hate thinking about the fact that some of my favorite books came from the library, and so I have never supported the author financially. I also want to recommend some of these books to friends, and it's easier to get them to read them if I just hand them to them and say READ THIS rather than them having to do the work of buying the book or seeking it out at the library.

-Buy a book if you've read it, loved it, and want everyone to read it so you can thrust it upon others.

-Generally don't buy a book that is the first in the series of something you've never read before, but maybe buy a book you've already read if it's in a series that you love.

Does that make sense?

I am not going to advice someone illegally download something but...

Honestly I mainly read books on my phone. I just google the title of the book and put pdf at the end and if its a newer book I can usually find the scanned version that I can read on my phone whenever I want. I have a few books that I keep for sentimental value but I would rather go to half priced books or lookup.

Also you could check out these sites: http://www.howtogeek.com/118138/the-best-websites-for-finding-downloading-borrowing-renting-and-purchasing-ebooks/

As far as actually books i would say borrow them instead of buying them. There have been a few that I have rented from the library and if I really liked it I went to buy it.

• Like 1

I'm of the mindset that it is better for the environment and the pocketbook if I get books from the library. There is also the inter-library loan. So when my library doesn't have it, another library does and they will get it for me.

That said, if I read a book and loved it, or it's the type of book I might reference again, then I will spend the money to buy it. But in comparison to how many books I will read just one time, it's not worth it to be buying books regularly. I'd rather save my money for things like new lifting equipment. ;) 

Every time I move I have to donate books and I'm sure some never get bought. I'm hoping to avoid this for any future moves by buying less books and being a more responsible book owner. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Does that make sense?

Eep, I'm terrible about all this, we have an open wallet policy for purchasing books, having a home library has always been a lifelong dream of both of us... that said we do try to curate it and purge as necessary so plenty gets borrowed from the library and I recently got into the overdrive app which is a great general library lending ebook and audiobook system!

• Like 1

On 7/13/2016 at 7:37 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

without basic cable I admit that jeopardy and wheel of fortune are both missed!

Assuming you don't live too far from civilization, an antenna will fix this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calanthrophy said:

Assuming you don't live too far from civilization, an antenna will fix this.

You know, I've been meaning to do that, at least for sports season, but you're totally right, I'd get the major networks that way!!! Good. Freakin. Call. :D