• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grizzy

Grizzy lifts and eats souls... I mean, protein!

2 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

You know, I've been meaning to do that, at least for sports season, but you're totally right, I'd get the major networks that way!!! Good. Freakin. Call. :D

There are a bunch of channels that have older shows and movies as well, stuff like the Adam West Batman series, old Univeral horror movies, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie... Lots of good stuff on there.

7/13

Yesterday was... less than ideal.

Steps: 4,177. I didn't go for my walks at work, even though I was not at all busy. I just felt really freaking lazy. I would had gotten like 8000 in if I had done my regularly scheduled walks! I'm not doing so well today either, but at least today is busy at work so I have some rhyme or reason behind it. Difficult to walk when your butt is stuck in 3 meetings all day.

Food: A bit on the high end with 1948 calories, but I got 133 g protein!

Lifting: Nooope. I have RP on Friday nights and it just kills my free time.

Yoga: I should have done yoga. At least a downward dog. Something. But no...

Youtube/Netflix: Still doing well on this front, but OH MY GOD I have a problem. I was like... twitchy...

I finished a book yesterday while doing online RP and waiting interminable amounts of time for the party to stop being split. Book was good, RP was terrible. Felt kind of miserable in general yesterday, but I'm feeling good now!

Let the good vibes continue!

I got out of the MMO scene half because the time consumption is too much but also very much because I'm typically compulsively punctual and waiting on people all the time is irksome.

5 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Eep, I'm terrible about all this, we have an open wallet policy for purchasing books, having a home library has always been a lifelong dream of both of us... that said we do try to curate it and purge as necessary so plenty gets borrowed from the library and I recently got into the overdrive app which is a great general library lending ebook and audiobook system!

My SO and I actually kind of already have a home library... His dad loves to collect things, and so we got around a literal ton of sci-fi and fantasy books that he gave us as a gift/because he was running out of space. Which makes me feel even more guilty about buying books! But those books a lot of times don't feel like they are really mine. They're not things I read and loved or something I picked out. It's not exactly carefully curated! There's also the slight lack of diversity in genre.

On 7/13/2016 at 3:24 PM, Grizzy said:

To be cross-posted to the book section of the forums, but a question for y'all: Do you prefer to buy books, or borrow them?

I'm a bit conflicted over this topic, because on the one hand, I try to be responsible with money and not be such a HUGE consumerist. I also tend to not re-read books, so having them on my shelf after I've read them just seems like a waste of space, especially if my feelings about the books were "meh" or worse.

On the other hand, there are some newer books out that I have absolutely loved, and I hate thinking about the fact that some of my favorite books came from the library, and so I have never supported the author financially. I also want to recommend some of these books to friends, and it's easier to get them to read them if I just hand them to them and say READ THIS rather than them having to do the work of buying the book or seeking it out at the library.

So I'm considering implementing a policy of book buying as such:

-Buy a book if I want to read it and the library doesn't have it.

-Buy a book if you've read it, loved it, and want everyone to read it so you can thrust it upon others.

-Generally don't buy a book that is the first in the series of something you've never read before, but maybe buy a book you've already read if it's in a series that you love.

Does that make sense?

Honestly the only books that I have in physical form are books that I absolutely love and have read multiple times Harry Potter Series and LOTR/Hobbit (speaking of... been a while since I read the latter, I should re-read...) plus textbooks and the bible.

Otherwise I get nearly all of my books from the library. If it is too long of a hold list from the library I usually purchase the kindle edition if I'm eager.

Comic books on the other hand are a different story....

I think you have a good policy, only buy it if you absolutely love it or can't get it in a timely manner from the library.

What is RP? Maybe you said already....

23 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Honestly the only books that I have in physical form are books that I absolutely love and have read multiple times Harry Potter Series and LOTR/Hobbit (speaking of... been a while since I read the latter, I should re-read...) plus textbooks and the bible.

Otherwise I get nearly all of my books from the library. If it is too long of a hold list from the library I usually purchase the kindle edition if I'm eager.

Comic books on the other hand are a different story....

I think you have a good policy, only buy it if you absolutely love it or can't get it in a timely manner from the library.

What is RP? Maybe you said already....

Sorry, Role-Playing. So like Dungeons and Dragons, but on a different system, and done over the computer.

• Like 1

And now you're back to take on the world!  Or maybe a very small part of the world, like a rock, maybe a pebble.  Anyway, glad you're potentially back on track.

• Like 1