• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa does JUST 3 THINGS

23 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I'm having trouble not just with the gym, but lots of things. I think it's a little bout of depression. I'm trying to get some sunshine and exercise because I know that will help, but sometimes it's rough. I did feel better after going for an afternoon walk yesterday. I think you do have the right idea though, even if I just go to my apartment gym and putz around for 5 minutes it will help.

*Internet hugs!*

Do you mean "putz" like the german word "putzen" for cleaning stuff?

17 hours ago, calanthrophy said:

My gym has this.

Jelly

Day 4.2

1) Movement - Did a quickie upper body workout to ramp me up for starting the new program. Tried out some of the methods they use, including the warmup. There is also a lot of supersetting (with BW movements) between working sets so that will be interesting.

Spoiler

** Buncha Fucking Warmup Shit **
- 1 rep

** Incline Dumbbell Bench Press **
- 10.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 20.0 lbs x 10 reps

- 25.0 lbs x 8 reps [PR]
- 25.0 lbs x 8 reps 

- 25.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 20.0 lbs x 10 reps 

** Scap Push-ups **
- 10 reps
- 8 reps

** Lying Triceps Extension **
- 15.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 7 reps [PR] (had a hard time balancing gripping the dumbbell, yet getting the tricep work in)

** Face Pulls **
- 30.0 lbs x 10 reps

- 30.0 lbs x 12 reps

- 30.0 lbs x 12 reps

Like I said, pretty quick.

2) Reading - none. Time was spent watching Olympics (USA! USA!) and cutting/sewing my cosplay. My goal is to get it done in time for Wizard World Chicago next weekend, but I will be cutting it close. @Flex Luthor are you going?!

Also, cooked Blue Apron #2 and it was equally as delicious as Blue Apron #1. Mr. J thinks it's too expensive. I told him if he wants to cook fresh, delicious meals for me 3x a week then he can make that decision lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Mr. J thinks it's too expensive.

First of all, congratulations on teaching him to think like a cheapskate. :panda:

No idea what the pricing is like because I have not done the online research - but I would guess it is a lot cheaper than going out for a meal - and a lot healthier.

8 minutes ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

*Internet hugs!*

Do you mean "putz" like the german word "putzen" for cleaning stuff?

No... well I just googled this to determine the origin of the word.

I intended it to mean, to do something mindless or unproductive. 

Google told me that the word come from Yiddish and translates literally to penis.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

No... well I just googled this to determine the origin of the word.

I intended it to mean, to do something mindless or unproductive. 

Google told me that the word come from Yiddish and translates literally to penis.

Thx, now I need to clean my desktop at work and explain my co workers why I spit over it :D 

• Like 1

Well, over time, words can change a bit in meaning when brought from one language to another.  Putz is definitely Yiddish.  When brought into the dialect of English I like to call "Brooklynese", it was probably originally the literal equivalent of "you're a dick", "you're a putz."  Over time, putz just became a useless person.  Putzing, then, is just being useless.  My mother is from Brooklyn, so I knew exactly what you were saying.  However, if I heard an old Jewish man say it, it would have been different.  Yiddish gives us all sorts of good slang.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Well, over time, words can change a bit in meaning when brought from one language to another.  Putz is definitely Yiddish.  When brought into the dialect of English I like to call "Brooklynese", it was probably originally the literal equivalent of "you're a dick", "you're a putz."  Over time, putz just became a useless person.  Putzing, then, is just being useless.  My mother is from Brooklyn, so I knew exactly what you were saying.  However, if I heard an old Jewish man say it, it would have been different.  Yiddish gives us all sorts of good slang.

Just now, evabo said:

Mindless & unproductive... penis... Makes sense to me!

Explains eloquent expressions like "dicking around," doesn't it....

• Like 3

Putz in German can also mean "finery, adornment"?  I think the Yiddish "putz" comes ironically from this definition - a man's natural "adornment".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Putz in German can also mean "finery, adornment"?  I think the Yiddish "putz" comes ironically from this definition - a man's natural "adornment".

The Family Jewels, lol?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

2) Reading - none. Time was spent watching Olympics (USA! USA!)

I am also watching the Olympics like a madwoman.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! 

I hope to save enough money to go to Tokyo & spectate the 2020 Olympics, but we'll see...

I am a little irritated with the NBC coverage on the Olympics app - the commercials are stupidly placed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grymm said:

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

The Family Jewels, lol?

LOL! You're right on that one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I am also watching the Olympics like a madwoman.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! 

I hope to save enough money to go to Tokyo & spectate the 2020 Olympics, but we'll see...

I am a little irritated with the NBC coverage on the Olympics app - the commercials are stupidly placed. 

A few friends and I are also saving up to go to 2020! :)

I've been recording the prime time sessions on the DVR (or ones I'm interested in) so I can start about an hour late and fast forward thru the commercials.

47 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

A few friends and I are also saving up to go to 2020! :)

I've been recording the prime time sessions on the DVR (or ones I'm interested in) so I can start about an hour late and fast forward thru the commercials.

Hopefully we'll see you there!!!

Tokyo Olympics Nerd Meet up!

We cut the cord, so don't have cable anymore - only choice is streaming, really.   I shouldn't complain - it is way better than nothing! :-)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

And how do you explain that "putzen" = cleaning stuff in german relates to penis? :D 

I have to find out how "putzen" is pronounced. There's a similar word in Greece meaning the same (not as the German one) but in a much more rude form. Sounds the same as the italian word "puzza", which in Italian means something that stinks. 

17 hours ago, BarbarianBassBro said:

17 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Made me laugh even more. It sounds exactly how I expected it to sound and it sounds very very similar to the greek word!

Language is fun :)

9 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

I saw this and for some insane reason I instantly thought of our Marvelous Miss M: 

OH MY GAWD THIS IS PERFECT!!!!! <3

You're on the other side of the world and you clearly know me too well already lol

• Like 4

Day 4.3

1) Movement - none. Got a 90 minute deep tissue though which has gotta count for something. I can actually move my arms now.

2) Reading - after my massage I picked up 2 books and couldn't get into either one. So instead I played mindless computer games for about 20 minutes.

Also went out to dinner with a friend and met his girlfriend who just moved to the area. That was lovely. We shared a boatload of appetizers as our dinner including grilled peaches, truffle fries, roasted carrots with dill, 3 different cheeses, and then a homemade smores dessert. We also did bartender's call as happy hour so we each picked a liquor and the bartender picked a drink. I picked Whiskey and was given a "Catcher in the Rye" which was absolutely delicious.

• Like 7

Which two books did you pick up? 

I'm trying to decide between picking up the next book club book (which doesn't meet again for almost a month) or finally finishing the last Game of Thrones book. Don't hate me but I stopped reading half-way through book 5 because the series was taking me 3 years to read and I needed a mental break. Our library has also put up that there is a "community read" which is "Born to Run"by Christopher McDougall. The book club book is "Where'd You Go Bernadette" by Maria Semple, and that sounds fascinating. So I guess I have 3 book choices. Life is hard!