• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

K_man

K_man's quest to warrior greatness!- clean eating, heavy lifting!

Hi all!

I am stoked for the start to a new challenge, came in late on the last one so it will be nice to be here for the full thing this time. I recently had a death in the family and it caused me to go on a two week gym hiatus, so firs thing will be to get back to my regular weight on the bars then continue to gain!

Challenge goals:

Lose the fat- ->from reading around it seems to be the popular opinion that it is hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. If I can just decrease my body fat I will be happy. Currently at 228lbs and have noticeable muscle but there is a health (or unhealthy) layer of flubber on top and I want that gone. To do this I am going to focus on clean eating with higher protein and less carbs in my diets. Me and my SO are carb fiends so it will be a challenge but her schedule has gotten a lot less hectic lately so she is on the fitness bandwagon now too so I am hoping we can work together on this. I am going to try to count my macros but my success is minimal here in the past. I am thinking of doing some body measurements, probably with just tape and fat callipers to measure my 4 week progress. Maybe take some photos too.

Increase deadlifts to 325lbs--> before my small gym vacation I was starting to complete sets at 295, I could lift 300 but form would breakdown quickly after 1 set. I hope that by the end of this challenge I can work at 325. 

Get sleep and become a morning person--> I failed at being a morning gym rat last challenge but my life was free enough to do it in the evenings. That is going to change fast as my school schedule is a about to go full hermit for a couple months. 

Level up my life--> going to track my spending this month and probably next month as well by keeping all my reciepts. Am going to a music festival this upcoming weekend and its going to be pricey so I will be broke after that and I want to save some extra cash over the next couple months.

Any tips and hints you guys have for me is always received well so comment away, I hope to update every couple days or at least once a week. 

• Like 2

I don't morning. My best advise would be to get blackout shades and pretend the whole thing didn't exist... which is why I shall not give you advise. Instead I shall give you some cheers and good luck in the form of.... princess party girl!!

tZucB1r.gif

• Like 2

This is obvious and probably on every list everywhere for becoming a morning person, but what the hell, I'll share anyway. 

Prep everything the night before. Don't let yourself relax and watch TV or game or read or whatever until your clothes, food, and whatever gym (and work or school) gear you need is laid out and ready to go. I will even sometimes put all my food in the lunch bag and put that in the fridge, so all I have to do is grab it. I also shower the night before. 

It's so much easier to get up when you know it's only going to take you 5-10 minutes to be ready and out the door. If you have a bunch of shit to do, your brain tells you just to go back to bed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K_man said:

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I unfortunately failed miserably this morning, so try again tomorrow I guess!

7 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Absolutely.  You got this. 

^Yerp. Keep showing up till it takes hold. You got it!

Update time!

Well week 0 was pretty bad for me, but I knew it would be so I am pretty much starting this challenge today. I decided to really challenge myself and measure progress over the next 4 weeks so i weighed myself, logged current bodyfat % and did some tape measurements of my body. At the end of the 4 weeks I will do all the measurements again and see how things changed. I am also going to take photos. Have not went to the gym yet but plan to go tonight and get back on the wagon. The last couple weeks have really messed with my routine and it is bugging me. 

good luck on challenges everyone!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, K_man said:

Update time!

Well week 0 was pretty bad for me, but I knew it would be so I am pretty much starting this challenge today. I decided to really challenge myself and measure progress over the next 4 weeks so i weighed myself, logged current bodyfat % and did some tape measurements of my body. At the end of the 4 weeks I will do all the measurements again and see how things changed. I am also going to take photos. Have not went to the gym yet but plan to go tonight and get back on the wagon. The last couple weeks have really messed with my routine and it is bugging me. 

good luck on challenges everyone!

Go tonight, then hop on your thread and leave us a post telling us about it!

You totally have this.  Zero week is over, let the new challenge BEGIN!

• Like 2

So I finally went to the gym in the morning, and it felt great. Its always that first 40 minutes until I get out the door that are the hardest, after that mornings are a breeze, always feel like I am more productive for the rest of my day. 

Workout went well considering I have been away for a bit. Just did my shoulder routine, shoulder press, shrugs, front raises and lateral raises all with dumbbells. then did some HIIT on the dreadmill. 

I always struggle with breakfasts, because I am just not that hungry first thing in the morning, but today I was able to have a good high protein breakfast post workout to start the day right. deadlifts tomorrow, hopefully my little gym vacation hasn't decreased my weight by too much.

• Like 3

Update time!

I guess that is the end of week 1 in the challenge? 

Lose the fat: I have no idea how this is going as I am not really going to measure until the end of the challenge, but I feel like it is going well. I am consciously eating healthier foods, and I have been decreasing my carbs mainly by cutting out bread from anything I eat. 

Deadlifts to 325: well since my little gym vacation I have done deadlifts twice, and I am still not back to where I was before but I did 5X5 of 275 today with a sixth set at 285. So next time I will work at 285 and maybe to a couple reps at 300 see how I feel.

become a morning person: Holy alarm clock Batman! I am actually making great progress in this. on thursday and friday of last week I went to the gym for 6:00 am and the real test is that today, on a monday I was also in the gym by 6:00am. So I am pumped with myself for that. 

Overall when I look at my challenge I don't know if I am really getting my goals just yet, I will have a better indication by week three. BUT! I am going through that amazing feel great on the inside gym high where I just feel awesome everyday I get my lifts in. I am seeing definite improvements in the mirror which is an always awesome. 

Feeling happy with myself today because I was doing my back routine and I normally go do lat pull downs instead of pullups because I have not completely gotten rid of that irrational fear of people seeing me fail in the gym, but today I made the jump to the assisted pull up machine and it was great. Lifted more that way compared to the lat pull down. More importantly though I now realize that either I was doing the lat bar wrong, or just doing pullups on their own (machine assisted in this case) just activates so many more muscles and is a great workout. So I am going to continue on this assisted pull up until I get to the point where I can do a few without it. 

• Like 2

Great work on the mornings and pull ups!  Also, I don't know if you noticed, but I think someone hit you with the 22 push up challenge.  See if you have a notification for being tagged w/ @K_man.

Today was another awesome gym morning for me. It was leg day today so I did squats 5x5 at 195, 5x5 of hamstring curls (I think thats what they are called) at 85lbs/ leg and did some weighted lunges with 40lb dumbbells. had to cut it short today as I was running out of time, never got to calves or leg press, maybe next time. Also did a few assisted pull ups between reps. 

Push ups!

I did my 22 pushups for 22kill this morning, chose to do military pushups for the cause and because they are just better. I told my brother about this and challenged him to do it, not sure if he will but at least I am spreading awareness. In Canada we do not have nearly the size/subscription to the military as our southern neighbours so the numbers of suicide after war are much less but it still happens. I think it was Globe and Mail did a story on this after the war in Afghanistan and at that time there were a known 54 Canadian soldiers who took their lives after they completed their service. It shed light on how little support veterans have after war, very tragic. So I do my pushups for my military and yours, these soldiers are forgotten casualties of war and need to be remembered and hopefully helped before mental illness takes too much of a toll on them. 

Tomorow is Chest/tri day, cant wait!

• Like 1

Is your assisted pull-up machine like mine? Where the more weight you add the easier it is because it is letting you lift less of your bodyweight? As far as I know there isn't going to be a correlation from lat pull-down to assisted pull-up. Based on my lat pull down weight, I should be able to use a lot less assistance on the pull up machine than I do. But I'd rather be doing the assisted pull-ups because I'm working towards doing an unassisted pull-up and after some e-reading I decided this was the better approach. Your thoughts?