• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NatetheStrong

Nate challenges challenging challenges challenge.

My ENT cleared me to resume exercising today! He also told me to take it easy, as there is still some healing to do, and too much exertion might cause some damage. So, with that in mind, the current challenges:

1. Make it through the challenge without damaging anything in my nose (as gauged by blood and/or pain.) +4 Wis, +1 Con.

2. Strength training: Deload cycle. Keep ego in check, keep weights light(er), make sure form is perfect. +3 DEX, +2 STR.

3. Cardio: Take advantage of my newfound breathing abilities to do some sort of cardiovascular exercise at least twice per week. +3 STA.

4. Finish chapter 3 of my doctoral thesis. +2 CHA.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Breathing is fun.

Breathing is wonderful!  I plan to do some breathing later today. :)

Yesterday I began easing back into the gym.  Chest and shoulders with a friend.  (Who happens to be a professional athlete.)  ((Although his professional sport happens to be soccer...))

Bench Press: 135(61)*10, 225(102)*10, 315(143)*2.  I was hoping for at least one more rep at 315, but I'll take it.  And my nose didn't start gushing blood afterwards. :)

Decline Press: 215(98)*10, 225(102)*10, 255(116)*9

Incline Press: 135(61)*10, 185(84)*7, 190(86)*8.  Fatigue definitely setting in.  Need more creatine!  (I've been off it during surgery recovery)

Three way shoulder raises: 25(11)*10*10*10(each)

Some nameless (or possibly just name unknown) lifts for the rotator cuff 15(7)*10*10(each)

Shrugs: 110(50)*10*10(each)

Car is at a repair shop, I believe I'll get it back by the end of the week.

I spent an hour shoveling dirt in my yard, doing it without becoming out of breath was a wonderful experience.

• Like 3

Some sort of animal. Coolant leak. Breathability from your nasal passages. 144kg bench. Your life isn't boring at least mate :) 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NatetheStrong said:

And I just realized that I left my gym badge in the car when I turned it over to the repair shop!

giphy.gif

Okay, that's annoying, but all this breathing!!! Most excellent indeed :D Good luck with the critter car situation, white tail pretty much run this town...

Here to follow along and check out this breathing thing everyone is going on about! ;)

And to to comisserate about hitting animals and damaging cars. I have hit too many kangaroos to even count the cost :(

Sorry to be MIA for so long, but in addition to losing the car for a week, we got hit by a really severe thunderstorm and were without electricity for most of a week!

But the car's back (and it only cost me $150!), power has been restored, and I made it back to the gym!

I did a light chest/arms day on Tuesday (I hate light days).

Bench Press: 135(61)*10, 225(102)*12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2; 205(93)*10, 8, 6, 4. Experimented with a wider grip than what I normally use. I think I like it. Chest muscles definitely suffering from DOMS.

Bodyweight dips 3 sets of 10.

15 minutes of sprint intervals on a stationary bike.

Today I was running late for a meeting and only had time for light deadlifts.

Dead Lift: 225(102)*5, 315(143)*5, 430(195)*3, 3, 3, 5, 5.

Still an amazing amount of sweat involved for only doing one exercise.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/13/2016 at 4:12 PM, SevenofSeven said:

Here to follow along and check out this breathing thing everyone is going on about! ;)

And to to comisserate about hitting animals and damaging cars. I have hit too many kangaroos to even count the cost :(

How are kangaroos viewed in Australia? In the United States they're generally considered one of the awesomest animals ever, and we're kind of upset that we don't have any outside of zoos.

And do they just hop out in front of cars?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NatetheStrong said:

How are kangaroos viewed in Australia? In the United States they're generally considered one of the awesomest animals ever, and we're kind of upset that we don't have any outside of zoos.

And do they just hop out in front of cars?

Generally they have no road manners and will cross without looking ;) It's not so much a hop but a jump and it can have an awesome amount of force behind it. They have taken the front end of my Hi-Ace Toyota 12 seater bus out more than a couple of times, as well as damaged the side door and panels by jumping straight into the bus as we go past, the side jumpers seem to live, better than the ones taking out the front. They cause accidents when people swerve to miss them.

I can't speak for all Australians, but they aren't nearly as endangered as tourists are lead to believe. In places like the Wheatbelt they do huge amounts of damage to crops and can strip pasture paddocks bare. They are prolific breeders, one young one hanging about, one in the pouch and one ready to go as soon as she weans the pouch Joey. Around where I live and where I grew up they do a cull every year. To actually shoot "Roos" you do need a hunting permit. We have one mob that hang around our property, a big male, a couple of females and various young ones. At the farm 5 km from us, they are supporting a mob of about 20-25, not intentionally, but their farm has pasture and water, everything they need to breed. The males do flex their muscles to attract females........bit like Friday nights in the clubs in the city ;)

They are not cute and cuddly, they can be quite vicious and will kill dogs and each other by using their back claws to disembowel  their enemies, (my own dog had a too close for comfort with this)  But you can't put that in brochures :) 

Generally country people just live with/around them, the city folk think they are lovely to hand feed at petting zoos with the kids. I don't trust them, they are a wild animal. Having said all that, watching a big male take off full tilt is amazing to see! All the quads!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/ripped-roo-crushes-bucket?utm_term=.ifGBloZZ87#.powAgzMMZ8

Australia 101, "The Kangaroo" is now adjourned! :)

• Like 6

What she said about Kangaroos. They're like deer when it comes to roads... unless we have sprinty idiotic dangerous deer compared to you guys. We have sprinty dangerous everything compared to you guys.. jellyfish, goannas, emus, spiders, so it could be true. Country people do have a different attitude towards 'roos than seasiders do. I think they're awesome, but i acknowledge they are a blight in some areas. 

and drop bears.

and lol. "light deadlifts". Your work set is 40kg more than my current training max :) 

• Like 3

On 7/22/2016 at 3:23 AM, Pat G said:

Sorry Pat, I accidently hit quote and couldn't get rid of the box from my phone.

But thank you both for the Kangaroo information.

Over the weekend I spent several hours pushing a lawnmower in 100+° weather (38+° for those of you outside the United States). Also walked about 3 miles (5K) back and forth to a baseball game (go Cardinals!)

This morning was squats.

135(61)*5, 225(102)*5, 315(143)*5,5,5,5.

I hate high reps, to the extent that 4 sets of 5 feels like high reps. I'm definitely wired for 3*3 or 5-3-1. 

After squats, I went to an exercise bike and did 20 minutes of sprint intervals. First 10 minutes was 30 second sprints with 1:30 breaks, and then 10 minutes of 20 second sprints with 40 second breaks. Felt good.

• Like 5

Today's workout:

Supersets of Bench Press and Dead Lift

Bench:135(61)*10, 225(102)*10, 3*300(136)*5.  I'm really like the wider grip for bench press so far.

Deadlift: 135(61)*10, 225(102)*5, 315(143)*5, 405(184)*5,3*500(227)*3, 500(227)*1  (Last rep of each set at 500 was held at top for as long as possible.)

Elliptical: 15 minutes of 30 on 90 off sprint intervals.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NatetheStrong said:

Today's workout:

Supersets of Bench Press and Dead Lift

Bench:135(61)*10, 225(102)*10, 3*300(136)*5.  I'm really like the wider grip for bench press so far.

Deadlift: 135(61)*10, 225(102)*5, 315(143)*5, 405(184)*5,3*500(227)*3, 500(227)*1  (Last rep of each set at 500 was held at top for as long as possible.)

Elliptical: 15 minutes of 30 on 90 off sprint intervals.

Get that grip work in you Son of a Gun.