Jessebel trains for the apocalypse

Jessebel

Winter The apocalypse is coming.

50be6845_508_promo_stills_1100162650_1_.

When? It is hard to say. I must prepare now as my survival is at stake.

Over the next four weeks, I will begin my preparations. It is my goal to focus on speed, strength, and maintaining my sanity while I wrap up a few loose ends. Fortunately, I have been provided an additional week to adjust to my new training regimen. I will call this time of adjustment Week 0.

I will record my training plan here so that I may revisit it to maintain focus when distractions work to impede my progress. May these messages act as a reminder to others that you must begin now. You must prepare for what is to come because it is coming whether or not you are ready.

Training for the Apocalypse Goals

gallery_zombie_20run.jpg

Speed

I have been working with the town of Abel over the past two weeks. They are training me so that I may replace the work of the old Runner 5 without meeting the same unfortunate fate. I have not yet missed a session with the doctor nor do I intend to do so.

Goal #1: Continue with Zombies! Run C25K program.

[Success = Continuing with program with no more than 2 days between sessions]

lynda-carter-strength-o.gif

Strength

I am a student of NF Academy. As a member of The Academy, I am provided with strength training drills. I had a successful several weeks of completing the exercises as described, but I have let my schedule slip. In order to learn from the masters, I must follow their advice.

Goal #2: Continue with the Nerd Fitness Academy training routine and advance to level 3 [Success = 3 days per week of bodyweight training and advancement to level 3 before the end of this training season.]

stairs-swag-o.gif

Zombies do not limit their chases to level ground. I need to prepare for the possibility of being chased in stairwells.

Goal #3: When leaving work, take the stairs down. Once a week, walk to work. Once a week, climb the stairs. [Success= Never taking an elevator down. Walking and taking the stair up once per week].

Sanity

2014-04300503-RinpocheatKadampa-DStrevel

A nearby temple of Tibetan Buddhist monks have opened their walls to the public. There is a lot that I can learn from these wise men. As their student, I will learn to be mindful of my surroundings and to calm my mind.

Goal #4: Once per week, visit the Kadampa center for a teaching or meditation. [Success = Going to the center once per week]

btr-liver-glycogen-fig1.png

A strong mind is a rested mind. I very much enjoy my time in bed, however that time can be better spent. As a former sleep professional, I will use my knowledge to ensure better sleep habits and develop a strong routine. I should appreciate the time that I have to sleep now. Who knows how long it will last?

Goal #5: Wake up at 7am every morning in order to develop a good sleep routine. [Success = Beginning week 1, wake up by 7am every morning]

Loose Ends

518631d3a4c29dfd8e327f52fdcfa91d.jpg

There are things that I want to accomplish before the zombies come. Things that I have put off until now.

Goal #6: Complete the following tasks.

1)      “What inspires you?”

2)      “Try a Nerd Fitness recipe”

3)      “Break down those goals”

4)      “Start your Epic Quest”

5)      “Gimme the Loot”

6)      “Customize your Batcave”

7)      Make NF Character useful (and public)

8)      Determine primary guild of choice

9)      Complete Music in My Mind training materials

10)   To be determined

[Success = Completing above 10 tasks before the end of the challenge]

Training begins now.

Good luck and god speed.

jessebel

Zombie-Walk-90179.gif

• Like 7

Hi! Love the theme, and you've got some really solid goals. Following along :)

• Like 1

Level 13 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Homemaking - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

10 hours ago, Lifter5 said:

I only have week 8 of Z5K left to do and then I'm transitioning to the regular Zombies, Run app for the bulk of this challenge! 

What week are you on?

Not going to lie, I have no idea anymore. False alarm, I was only into week 2 when I stopped. Since I got a new phone and battling my joints trying to kill me, I haven't pulled the application back up. However, if things go good with my current challenege, I plan to incorporate the Z!R again.

On 7/11/2016 at 4:56 PM, Jarric said:

Hi! Love the theme, and you've got some really solid goals. Following along :)

Thanks! I have a problem with actually posting. I thought creating a theme would tickle my creative bone enough to get me here to update.

On 7/11/2016 at 6:18 PM, deftona said:

Hey! This theme is awesome! Following along!

Thanks!

On 7/12/2016 at 9:49 AM, Evicious said:

Goal #3 would be challenging for me. I love running hills, but I HATE walking up stairs! :P

I also hate stairs. HATE stairs. Perhaps irrationally so. That is why I thought I would make it easy on me and just require going down the stairs for awhile. I can make myself do just about anything, including climbing stairs, if it is only one time a week. 

21 hours ago, Maddie Hatter said:

One day I will get back into using   Zombies! Run - Anywhodles, love your setup and I wish you success in your challenge this session :)

I really like it! I imagine that the novelty will wear off at some point, but right now, it is really keeping me on a regular schedule. 

21 hours ago, Lifter5 said:

I only have week 8 of Z5K left to do and then I'm transitioning to the regular Zombies, Run app for the bulk of this challenge! 

What week are you on?

That's really exciting! I am looking forward to using the regular app during the next challenge cycle. 

20 hours ago, whitedhairedwolf said:

Awesome goals. I'll be following along! :)

19 hours ago, windsong said:

Awesome theme!

9 hours ago, Varelse said:

Great theme and suitable goals. Good luck in this challenge, I'll keep an eye on your success.

Thanks, guys!

• Like 1

zombie-silhouette.jpg

Week 0: Day 1

Training in Abel was slower than to be expected. After several weeks of gains, being sluggish felt off. I examined my diet and my rest, and everything checked out. Despite my lethargy, I completed my seventh training session at a lower than average pace. I went home and climbed into bed. I tossed and turned for what seemed like hours before drifting to sleep.

03da513ea2ae6f57780c9147ccf396c3.jpg

Week 0: Day 2

The cause of my lethargy was immediately apparent upon waking. I curled into a ball and cursed this monthly obstacle. I dragged myself into work and wondered if I had already been taken by the zombies. Mindlessly, I ate. And ate. And ate. Nothing seemed to curb my hunger. Fortunately, the only rations available were ones that I had procured myself. I could survive an entire pint of blueberries. I took a seemingly endless series of stairs down to the ground floor and drove home. I put on my gear, reviewed the drill, and prepared to complete the work provided by the academy. I sat on the floor for a moment of mindfulness and drifted into sleep.

8a2671db7817cce9130e964b00d9cf31.jpg

Week 0: Day 3

I woke at 10am. Much later than I had hoped. I stretched, showered, took my medication, and waited for the cable man. Construction next door had resulted in the loss of the most valued utility. Atlas, my trusty sidekick, ensured my safety against this intruder by barking endlessly from behind my legs. Sawyer proved to be an immediate traitor and chose to received butt scratches from the potential killer instead of maintaining guard for the homestead. Fortunately, the fellow simply restored the utility and left. Upon his departure, I completed the work that I had abandoned the night before. Tonight, I head to the tower where I will sit at my computer until well after the sun has gone down. I will return home and rest soundly. I am ready for another day.

f2aeca2f93e9fa90897bbfbb589c9722.jpg

• Like 5

Oh yea, Zombies, Run!!  I haven't gotten into any other zombie themed thing, but I LOVE that training app.  

Stay sharp out there, Runner!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

On 7/15/2016 at 10:24 PM, Treva said:

I love your theme!  Very inspirational (I've always thought apocalypse training is best motivation).  Good luck and kick some butt!!

Thanks! Apocalypse training has been going well for me so far!

On 7/16/2016 at 8:16 AM, iatetheyeti said:

Can't beat a good old fashioned zombie apocalypse!

Following along :) 

Going back to the good ole days. 

On 7/17/2016 at 2:39 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Oh yea, Zombies, Run!!  I haven't gotten into any other zombie themed thing, but I LOVE that training app.  

Stay sharp out there, Runner!!

I, also, had previously not really enjoyed zombie themes. I didn't have anything against them, but I never got into it. That app, tho...

On 7/17/2016 at 2:44 PM, LastGirlStanding said:

I absolutely love your theme, and your goals. Your "take on the apocalypse" motivation is exactly the same as mine! So I can't wait to see how you get on. 

Thanks so much! I can't wait to see either. Haha. 

scary-shadows3-300x225.jpg

Despite my exhaustion and despite my fear, I walk every night. The world looks different after dark. Learning to tell the difference between a shadow and something more sinister will have clear advantages when the end comes.

Week 0 Day 4

13450234_1080990731947257_12303782557038

I started week three as I start every day four. With the lemurs.

Although they are considered to be endangered now, I imagine that their kind will prosper when the zombies come. I wonder if there is a way I could get them to teach me to jump in the trees.

keep-calm-and-protect-abel-township.png

Later, I continued my training in Abel. I brought a friend with me. Overall, a little slower than my typical pace and more walking than I would have liked during the free runs, but I will need friends when the zombies come.

And the faster my friends can run, the more likely I am to have friends when cardio matters more.

We ended the day testing wits against locals at a nearby tavern. Only a single beer was imbibed.

Week 0 Day 5

-Record Missing-

Week 0 Day 6

-Record Missing-

Week 0 Day 7

Well, that’s strange. I am not able to remember anything that happened on days 5 and 6. The only records I have included my food intake. I do remember walking each night for at least an hour, but beyond that….

201605574de3a4f1223.jpg

I started my day with Buddhist monks. The teacher spoke of meditation and anger, and I found that I was without fear of the end, if only for a moment.  

mouse-guard.jpg

To practice my leadership skills, I gathered with a group of my friends and led my second and final session of Mouse Guard. Fun was had by all and there was talk of a campaign. Unfortunately, I need to devote my efforts to other things for the next several weeks.

I was going to end my day in Abel with my final mission of the week, but I received a call from a friend in distress. She had locked herself out of her home and was nervous to be alone in the dark. I arrived and somehow managed to unhinge her door.

Like a boss.

breaking-and-entering-1500x1000.jpg

• Like 3

Week Zero: Complete!

Week Zero taught me many things. As such, my goals have been altered slightly.

Speed: Continue with Zombies! Run C25K program.

Damn straight, I did.

Strength: Continue with the Nerd Fitness Academy training routine and advance to level 3 [Success = 3 days per week of bodyweight training and advancement to level 3 before the end of this training season.]

Fortunately, week 0 is my lenient week. Completed 2 times over the week.

When leaving work, take the stairs down. Once a week, walk to work. Once a week, climb the stairs. [Success= Never taking an elevator down. Walking and taking the stair up once per week].

Went down stairs like a boss. I am now no longer employed with stair based employer, so no more practice for me. At least, not as a regular goal.

Sanity: Once per week, visit the Kadampa center for a teaching or meditation. [Success = Going to the center once per week]

Done! And I really missed it. I am glad that I went.

Sleep: Wake up at 7am 8am every morning in order to develop a good sleep routine. [Success = Beginning week 1, wake up by 7am 8am every morning]

Nope. After trying, I’ve decided that 8am is a more reasonable goal.

Loose ends: Not tied

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 1

alarm-clock-390x285.jpg

It was hard to believe that the sun was ready to greet me so early in the morning. Is it supposed to hurt? No one told me mornings would be so painful.

I did something to assist a friend. It is hard to remember what because of the exhaustion.

t4xfb.jpg

I did have a mission with the doc in Abel. Decent pace, but keeping up with all of the free runs has been challenging.

Week 1 Day 2

I spent much of the day with my grandmother. Having lived 90 years so far, she has a lot of wisdom to offer. I want to make the most of the time that I have left with her. 

Rations_K_Early.gif

When I returned home, I was determined to survive with room to spare. I prepared rations for myself and my love to last through the remainder of the week. I completed domestic tasks. Participating in routine almost felt normal. 

mhizAhQ.jpg

Then I heard yelling coming from the front of my house. I entered my living room with authority and saw, standing in the middle of the livingroom General DOMs. He had been looming over my head as an unchecked challenge for sometime now. 

Rat bastard got what was coming to him. 

Feilich%20spider%20image.jpg

After taking a few minutes to regain composure, I decided to hunt down my real target: The Widowmaker. She was easy enough to find, and I defeated her more easily than I had anticipated. 

Now that they are gone, I can focus on my new challenges and get some use out of my new pullup bar. 

Until next time.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2016 at 10:12 PM, Jessebel said:

Went down stairs like a boss. I am now no longer employed with stair based employer, so no more practice for me

this is HILARIOUS.

Level 2 Drow Ranger

I walk alone, but the shadows are company enough.

On 7/21/2016 at 5:43 PM, Traxex said:

this is HILARIOUS.

I agree ..... very entertaining thread.  And it looks like things are going well.

Carry on!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk