• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

RedStone Builds Shelter From The Rain

NICE PRS!!! Bench PRs are the best kind of PRs.

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

How else do people feel about hyping themselves up? How do you do it?

I don't usually unless I'm in competition.

I have a feeling that if I need hyping up in order to lift something, it's probably too heavy for me to be lifting not at a competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think what gets people hyped up is different for everyone. If I'm struggling through a workout I start to think about all the physical struggles I have overcome and how I'm really a beast and I'm going to be a beast and not a wimp and I can do this I'm awesome and these people around me have no idea how hard I've worked and I'll be damned if I'm going to wuss out on this last set of deadlifts and on and on until I'm man-handling the bar like I'm BOSS. 

It's an internal monologue thing for me. 

This is similar to where I'm at in general. Simply put, the stuff must be lifted, and I must lift it. I must try as hard as possible and it must be done. And if I can't do it, I have to keep working up to it until I can. That being said... I did experience a weird rush of irresponsible confidence that resulted in some good numbers... tho I also attribute a certain amount of that to the fact that I no longer clip my bench so I can just dump the weights if I fail without a spot... which is also nice cause I don't have to ask for a spot/feel weird about a stranger hovering over me :beguiled:

• Like 1

This is an interesting topic for me regarding music for working out.  I listen to music while working out.  Actually, I listen to music all day at work and most of the time I'm home (doing chores, surfing the internet, eating, playing spider solitaire).  At work, I listen to a broad mix of things - string covers, some partial electronic, metal, rap, alternative.  For working out, though, the music has to be fast, heavy, and aggressive.  I tend to have the emotional range of Spock which is not great at driving energy levels.  I don't know if it's because I do squats first or because squats are driving the change in my perception of heavy, but I find the music helps to get me back under the bar.  I'm not really listening during a set, but I get too distracted without some intense music.  Setting up and some sweat got on your brow?  Gotta wipe that off.  Definitely need to rechalk (entirely unnecessary when you hands are barely on the bar).  Maybe the fan needs to be closer.  Is it on high?  I don't have these issues on any other lift.  I think it's more the structure of the workout than squat specific.  I need to build a playlist built around Devildriver, Slipknot, Rammstein, Static-X, and similar. 

• Like 1

This is an interesting conversation. Can you sufficiently motivate and focus yourself when lifting without the angry rage on music? Or are you the kind of person that requires external sources and motivations to get your energy levels exceeded. I wonder what it says about the person.

Also bench PR mentality! 

Also Actors!  and learning from them! w00t. 

• Like 1

Well, the gods in the iron temple were smiling at me yesterday. Starting with my weigh in, (which was the lowest it's been in 2 weeks), everything lined up to hit my 2nd main lifting goal - 2X BW deadlift! (I guess 1.5 BW was my first...) So what's next? 2.5% I guess? I'm a little surprised cause I wasn't feeling particularly strong with squats, but the DLs were happy...

Squats

2X5/45#   5/95#   5/115#   3X5/135#

Deadlifts

5/135#   5/155#   3X3/175#   1/195#PR   1/205#PR   1/215#PR 2XBW!

After that was extras, leg press, calf stuff blah blah. Also threw in some hanging side crunches for core at 3X5, and didn't do my 22 pushups until right before bed, and then I slept crazy hard.

Today is rest day and I need it, house stuff, looking for job stuff, yoga stuff (also need that), and rehearsals tonight.

It's day 8 of the 22for22 pushup challenge, and up next I challenge @Grymm !! Details here if you haven't seen it already :D 

Go forth and smash!!

• Like 9

Ack!  I was just challenged a few hours ago!  Also, that your deadlift is approaching insane territory and quickly! Just for confirmation, you just jumped 30#?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Ack!  I was just challenged a few hours ago!  Also, that your deadlift is approaching insane territory and quickly! Just for confirmation, you just jumped 30#?

LMAO sorry Grymm! I just saw that :P Challenge redacted. YES! 30# jump from 185, I wasn't going to do it but the 195 and 205 was manageable enough, and I weighed in unusually low (compared to recent numbers anyway) at 107 so why not? The last one left me seeing stars so I guess I'll be working at 175 till that feels, I dunno... easy? 

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Your deadlift is amazing, go you!

38 minutes ago, SevenofSeven said:

Your progress is awesome! :applause:

23 minutes ago, Alaysia said:

Your deadlifts!!

Vu8nIaC6rSVi.gif

3 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I would say post to the leaderboard, but you'll probably put on another 30# before the end of the challenge.

Aw jeez, thanks guys so much!!! Def not what I expecting yesterday it just kind of... hapenned? Actually, since it was a major lift goal I should get myself an incentive reward! Maybe some knee socks at the cool kid store in town since my knees and shins are all scrapped up :P 

Grymm: I always forget about the leaderboards! Yeah, I think I will! I'm gearing up to do another (properly planned for) 1rm test before I go away to the Idaho wilderness for what will undoubtably be a cardio fueled cut. Guessing that'll be the right time! (Also, if I'm being honest, I did run my new wilks to add in for this week's bench and DL... currently looking at 274 and change! :D)

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Pat G said:

This is an interesting conversation. Can you sufficiently motivate and focus yourself when lifting without the angry rage on music? Or are you the kind of person that requires external sources and motivations to get your energy levels exceeded. I wonder what it says about the person.

Also bench PR mentality! 

Also Actors!  and learning from them! w00t. 

I really love this conversation! Psychology of lifting 101 ;) and it's really interesting to hear everyone's different approaches. One of the things I wonder about is sensitivity to noise and light, which is something that drives my life in a lot of ways, one of the reasons I left the city and even chose the gym I did. Too much light or movement or competing sounds really distract and can even upset me to the point of panic.

During the NF comp a few weeks ago I got really aggravated by this guy working at the squat rack in front of me - right when I was about to deadlift he started doing these really fast side to side lunges that just took away all my focus. (I should have just waited till he was done lol) 

I can imagine music being either really good or really bad for me - I find that when I have loud music going on, it's all I focus on and I have trouble thinking about anything else. Other thing is that I really notice the weight of the headphones and mine are not wireless, so my phone on my arm or on my waist is annoying too. So, I dunno, that's just me lol

Fun side note - when I was working yesterday I was doing an experiment where I kind of shouted some psyche up lyrics in my head, and some Alanis Morissete song was being piped into the gym and that really pissed me off too lol. Too many competing ideas!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ixaera said:

When did you start lifting, out of curiosity? :D Your deadlift is killer!

Thank you!! I started on March 7th, specific lol I know, but it was part of my first challenge to pull together my 20 seconds and go to the weight room for the first time!

Just now, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

SO.

MUCH.

STRONG!

Plus, you are looking amazing!  Those legs!  Oh my WOW!

oh thank yoouu!!! I've been so self conscious since the start of this re-feed/reverse diet, but I think it'll be worth doing progress picks at the end of this cycle and then after the cut in Idaho... as much as progress picts are kind of bleh/yikes lol :D I'm already amazed at the difference I see from those first before picts from before I started!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Thank you!! I started on March 7th, specific lol I know, but it was part of my first challenge to pull together my 20 seconds and go to the weight room for the first time!

Wow! What amazing progress! I started around the same time, myself :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

oh thank yoouu!!! I've been so self conscious since the start of this re-feed/reverse diet, but I think it'll be worth doing progress picks at the end of this cycle and then after the cut in Idaho... as much as progress picts are kind of bleh/yikes lol :D I'm already amazed at the difference I see from those first before picts from before I started!

WOW awesome job! Keep it up!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Wow! What amazing progress! I started around the same time, myself :)

1 minute ago, Volki said:

WOW awesome job! Keep it up!

Thanks guys!! Noob twinsies Ixaera!! :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Wowza!!! I've been lifting for 2.5 years and still haven't hit 2xBW deadlift. :) GREAT JOB!

• Like 2