• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

RedStone Builds Shelter From The Rain

8 hours ago, NatetheStrong said:

A form check would help. In my experience wrist pain in rows comes from having my hands too close together. As the arms come up, the wrists flex, causing the pain. I try to keep a straight line from the elbow through the wrist and it helps.

That sounds like me, thanks for the tip. The bent rows and pendalays feel particularly cumbersome for some reason, I'll have to take another look at that and will do a form check soon!

8 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

The duffle looks awesome, great workouts.

Wrist pain, hmmmmmm, can't help there except with what Nate said. Have you tried hook grip? aka kill the thumb grip?

Oh, you know what I still haven't tried grip. DL day today, I'll try it on one of the openers!!!

2 minutes ago, Grymm said:

when-a-plan-comes-together.jpeg

Ok, Maybe I've seen the new A Team like 40 million times. Can we talk about that for a second? What a great cast. Also, I guess I didn't realize this back then, but rewatching the reboot, (40 million times), I've realized that all of their plans in some way involve a surprising vehicle. SURPRISING VEHICLE!!!

(Also, note to Bradley Cooper - Take off your shirt!!!)

oHCcxDgm.png

• Like 3

I don't know about you, but every good plan I've ever had always started with bulletproofing a school bus or ice cream truck.  That's also why it was in such a good lineup with Knight Rider and Airwolf (I'm listening to the airwolf theme now - iconic!)

[/spoiler]

Who was your favorite A-Team member?

a3f18975c428fd8e478da148cc5da682.jpg

Murdock!

• Like 2

Congrats on your bench PR. You rock!! 

Plus this most hilarious gif I found searching rocks...

captain-kirk-throws-a-rock-o.gif

P.S. if you haven't you should go see the new Star Trek movie, amazeballs. 

• Like 3

On 7/26/2016 at 8:55 AM, Grymm said:

I don't know about you, but every good plan I've ever had always started with bulletproofing a school bus or ice cream truck.  That's also why it was in such a good lineup with Knight Rider and Airwolf (I'm listening to the airwolf theme now - iconic!)

Reveal hidden contents

[/spoiler]

Who was your favorite A-Team member?

a3f18975c428fd8e478da148cc5da682.jpg

Murdock!

B.A. Baracas. No question, hands down.

On 7/26/2016 at 9:49 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Congrats on your bench PR. You rock!! 

Plus this most hilarious gif I found searching rocks...

captain-kirk-throws-a-rock-o.gif

P.S. if you haven't you should go see the new Star Trek movie, amazeballs. 

LMAO that's kind of how I'm feeling today...

23 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

NICE PR.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

18 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

holy sh*t! beast :D

Thank guys!!!! :D:D:D 

• Like 1

Okay, everybody may not be hurting, but dayyyuuum, everything is hurting on me today! Rest day and I need it. Lower power yesterday and it kicked my butt from here till a week from next Tuesday's sister in law. Didn't leave adequate timing for good long stretching and did the first day of blocking at the theater directly after. That was extra rough and I will be timing my works accordingly going forward :P Today I slept a bit extra, going to take it easy-ish around the house, stretching, eating, and work tonight unless something changes there.

So here's what went down:

Squats

5/45#     5/95#     5/15#     5/135#     4X3/145#

Deadlifts

5/135#   3/155#   3/165#   4X3/185#MR*

Leg Press

4X10/177#

Leg Curl

10/25#   3X6/40#

Plyo Box Jumps*

4X10

TMI:

Spoiler

Soooo... I figured since I had a new DL pr, I should be increasing my working sets. 85% at 185 is high for me, I've only ever pulled it before for singles, so I did triples, same as squats since they've been feeling maybe not incredible solid as I've been focusing on greater depth. So yeah... 2nd lift on my last set, my body gave out in the only way I would let it, and the mysterious lift tinkle occurred. Not much, but enough to surprise me. I finished the set and moved on. I guess I was exhausted and spent, even with the plyo jumps (that I realized I could choose for my calf optional - hooray!) I faltered on a few of those as well, total exhaustion. AH WELL. Women's weightlifting continues to be odd...

b1zHxJd.gif

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Grymm said:

But you still got that third rep? 

Hell yeah!! I didn't think I was exhausted, or I didn't realize it maybe? Okay... this is kind of a weird thing I do/think... not even sure I should post it here cause it's a good prompt for me and someone might dispel it, but here goes. Something I noticed early on in training was that the first set of Xweight felt a lot harder than the 4th or 5th set... so along with all the prompts I tell myself before a set, I say - each time is easier than the last, and by the last set I feel more solid.

With these triples I was almost seeing stars with the first set, but by the end of it I felt good so I figured I was okay to continue and since the bar was still leaving the ground, which is basically how I determine if I can go on :P Guess I need to pay attention to some other tells going forward now...

• Like 4

Maybe this is a novice thing, but I completely understand.  I get it on squats.  When I walk out with a new weight, it feels heavy.  In fact, it's the heaviest thing my body ever remembers having to hold up on my shoulders.  The first set, I feel I have to watch my balance, form, depth.  There is an abundance of caution.  By the third set, my confidence has increased and the caution has relaxed.  I know at that point if I fail, I'll be ok.  I'll just put it on the pins.  It won't be a catastrophic pinning.  Also, I'm not that fatigued at that point.  The reduction in extraneous attention points and increased confidence letting me really push outweighs any fatigue and the set is easier.  By set 5, fatigue is outpacing those elements and things slow down again.  For me, I feel as the weight gets heavier, the fatigue curve will increase.  Also, I am getting better with form so some of my early set caution should ease.  I think this will erase the sensation. 

For you, maybe it's also an indicator that you still have a lot of novice gains to be made.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grymm said:

Maybe this is a novice thing, but I completely understand.  I get it on squats. 

Ya, I don't actually get it on everything, and certainly not every time with squats and DLs... Bench? Never. I'm guessing it's a combination of mental and physical acclimation, if it's actually anything beyond confidence :P which is what saying it to myself seems to do, it's like a comforting little thing you remind yourself like right before ripping off a band aid really fast. And I think there is something to be said for the noob gain trend. I got this a lot more in the beginning when there was an increase at pretty much every session, probably a good thing to look for now that there are weeks and months between raises and attempts! 

Definately not a noob thing! I bailed on a set of squats very recently! Just knew I had reached my limit when I did the walk out. But my feeling of fatigue hit during the warm up sets. Weights that are relatively easy to move most days were really hard and ugly. Maybe it was just the time of day, maybe because I had started doing............cardio.............the day before and my legs were tired, maybe because I have decreased calorie intake slightly. Who know, but always, safety first.

You're doing awesome @~RedStone~ and yes women's powerlifting can be surprising! ;)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Hell yeah!! I didn't think I was exhausted, or I didn't realize it maybe? Okay... this is kind of a weird thing I do/think... not even sure I should post it here cause it's a good prompt for me and someone might dispel it, but here goes. Something I noticed early on in training was that the first set of Xweight felt a lot harder than the 4th or 5th set... so along with all the prompts I tell myself before a set, I say - each time is easier than the last, and by the last set I feel more solid.

With these triples I was almost seeing stars with the first set, but by the end of it I felt good so I figured I was okay to continue and since the bar was still leaving the ground, which is basically how I determine if I can go on :P Guess I need to pay attention to some other tells going forward now...

I think this is pretty common!

A lot of people will actually work up to a heavy (ish) single for a lot of their lifts and then do working sets at the lower weight. This way the working weight feels lighter because you've already held a heavy weight.

• Like 1

Thursday = upper hyper! I did a bunch of stuff, the same stuff as usual Incline bench, flyes, lat raises, rows. No major changes so far as any of that goes. I did more decline pushups for the 22 challenge and am continuing to really push them with height. (yesterday was on an instability ball, in spoiler, why not. Also I've started challenging through social media or direct to friends, the forums are getting saturated!) I would lay out the details of my log, but I left them in the car after I took a short nap in there :P Which kind of brings me to the other things that are on my mind.

So... so far in my challenge I've been showing up for my workouts as per, but I don't seem to be spending less time on them as I had wanted. I also continue to be logged into IRC all day, most days. I'm struggling with personal relationships. I keep punting the job search down the road since I'm going away soon, have the play, blah blah excuses. Long story short, I need to level up. I need focus, I need conviction. 

I feel like the last bit here is the important part: conviction. Conviction is what really drives me, once I've decided that something needs to be done, I do it, or work on it till it's done. It's when I'm all wishy washy like, sure, I could continue with my photography, or focus on painting again, or get back to my writing, maybe see about patenting that board game I developed once upon a time... it all gets to be too much. It's a cross roads with 12 directions to choose from and I don't seem to care one way or another, or maybe I don't want to choose, so nothing gets done. (Cue Sylvia Plath's fig tree :P)

I know I can't be the only one who has trouble deciding where to put their focus, what do you guys do? Any advise? Recommended reading? (I am sitting in a barnes and noble at the moment, decided to hang here all afternoon between gym and rehearsals. One way or another it tends to be less distracting here than home so maybe I should do it more often...)

Spoiler

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Thursday = upper hyper! I did a bunch of stuff, the same stuff as usual Incline bench, flyes, lat raises, rows. No major changes so far as any of that goes. I did more decline pushups for the 22 challenge and am continuing to really push them with height. (yesterday was on an instability ball, in spoiler, why not. Also I've started challenging through social media or direct to friends, the forums are getting saturated!) I would lay out the details of my log, but I left them in the car after I took a short nap in there :P Which kind of brings me to the other things that are on my mind.

So... so far in my challenge I've been showing up for my workouts as per, but I don't seem to be spending less time on them as I had wanted. I also continue to be logged into IRC all day, most days. I'm struggling with personal relationships. I keep punting the job search down the road since I'm going away soon, have the play, blah blah excuses. Long story short, I need to level up. I need focus, I need conviction. 

I feel like the last bit here is the important part: conviction. Conviction is what really drives me, once I've decided that something needs to be done, I do it, or work on it till it's done. It's when I'm all wishy washy like, sure, I could continue with my photography, or focus on painting again, or get back to my writing, maybe see about patenting that board game I developed once upon a time... it all gets to be too much. It's a cross roads with 12 directions to choose from and I don't seem to care one way or another, or maybe I don't want to choose, so nothing gets done. (Cue Sylvia Plath's fig tree :P)

I know I can't be the only one who has trouble deciding where to put their focus, what do you guys do? Any advise? Recommended reading? (I am sitting in a barnes and noble at the moment, decided to hang here all afternoon between gym and rehearsals. One way or another it tends to be less distracting here than home so maybe I should do it more often...)

So, this may or may not be super helpful, but when I feel like have so many options that I don't know what to do....

1) I write them down. (for some reason, with me, physically writing it is important. Typed on a phone doesn't work. Weird brain)

1a) Sometimes then I get a gut feel about one - boom, problem solved.

1b) If not, sometimes if I sleep on it after making the list , and I wake up with a gut feel type thing. boom, done.

2) If problem is not solved by #1, I make an excel and start listing pro's and con's, and then I will cross of 1-2 a day. Either I look into it more (how hard wold it be to get a patent?, could I set up an etsy for photography or painting? how hard/expensive would that be?) and the cost/time is prohibitive, or I look into it and just don't want to do it anymore.

3) When you CAN'T cross off anymore, make a random number generator in excel, generate the numbers, copy/paste them to values, and then sort. Start the first one. Like, really start. No holds barred (use your conviction). If it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Move onto the next one. [There may be a way to automate this, but if anyone wants to send me how many items they have, I'll be happy to do the excel part, and give you a new, randomly ordered list]

4) Eventually something sticks, or it doesn't. It can be hard to judge when something, like writing, has 'stopped working out' because there aren't clear metrics. So make some. I did a 'write 200 words a day' thing. Something achievable. If I miss more than 3 days, I considered that failed (it failed btw). I chose three days because it's more than a weekend, but not so long that it prevented me from starting something else. 

5) If needed, make new list. Begin again. I haven't ever had to do #5, but I'm sure it could be done.

• Like 4

Looks like Elvie solved that for ya.  In a beautiful, nerdtastic way.

<3

If you aren't the spreadsheet type, you can make pretty pictures for each one on an index card, and keep sorting them until the one that calls to you the strongest is obvious. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

I write them down. (for some reason, with me, physically writing it is important. Typed on a phone doesn't work. Weird brain)

Nothing weird about this.

Writing and thinking are connected in my opinion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

So, this may or may not be super helpful, but when I feel like have so many options that I don't know what to do....

1) I write them down. (for some reason, with me, physically writing it is important. Typed on a phone doesn't work. Weird brain)

3 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

If you aren't the spreadsheet type, you can make pretty pictures for each one on an index card, and keep sorting them until the one that calls to you the strongest is obvious. 

36 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Nothing weird about this.

Writing and thinking are connected in my opinion.

Welp, looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow, for once! And no, I'm not exactly a spread sheet person, but I do have a carefully segmented cork board with color coded index cards and highlighters.... thanks guys :D 

OotLhnZ.gif

• Like 4