• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

RedStone Builds Shelter From The Rain

How as there a fire in the gym, was someone sacrificing their gains over an open flame in the cardio section? 

I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you that unless your goal is to be champion powerlifter in the next like 2 months, that one weekend of relaxing and body weight work for your mental health is probably worth it. :) 

• Like 1

Can we just take a minute and appreciate how fun "baba ganoush" is to say?  

Also, there are many levels of personal trainer/coach.  People who are "personal trainers" at chain gyms generally don't have a lot of actual training.  They just execute some program established by the gym.  They might have levels of trainers.  This is akin to when you take your car to a dealership for service.  You have a bunch of tire and brake tech guys who do the easy stuff like oil changes and tire rotations.  Then you have a couple mechanics.  Then there should be a master tech.  The master tech generally knows a ton but rarely would he/she be the one working on your car.  

So, technically, you could probably become personal trainer certified over a weekend.  Now, if you want to actually be good at it, you'll have to get a broad base of knowledge and probably certifications in various methods and programs (like IT guys do).  

Funny thing - there's a starting strength seminar in October by your house, but it's like $1000.  If you had a couple years of coaching under your belt, that would be a great thing to do and try to become a certified SS coach (there are only a little over 100 of them I think).  However, I don't think it's worth it at the very beginning.  I don't think they'd even let you try without a bit of a resume.  And as a lifter, I don't care if Mark Rippetoe himself teaches me to squat for 6 straight hours.  It's not work $1000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

falling behind a bit on my posting

This has been me for a very long time and I feel bad about it. :(

Bought some clothes finally!

I did that on Saturday!  And I forgot to give everybody the fashion show!  Oops!  See above. :(

Got a call from work, the company has officially folded

Ewwwwwwwww......  Sorry to hear. :(

At this point, I'm weighing the pros and cons of getting into some certification programs for training and nutrition.

This is interesting.....

18 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Also, there are many levels of personal trainer/coach.

Totally agree.

19 minutes ago, Grymm said:

People who are "personal trainers" at chain gyms generally don't have a lot of actual training.  They just execute some program established by the gym.

While I believe this is correct in the vast majority of cases, I do not believe my gym, Darkside Fitness, is the one prescribing all these crazy Bulgarian and German programs.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Funny thing - there's a starting strength seminar in October by your house, but it's like $1000.  If you had a couple years of coaching under your belt, that would be a great thing to do and try to become a certified SS coach (there are only a little over 100 of them I think).  However, I don't think it's worth it at the very beginning.  I don't think they'd even let you try without a bit of a resume.  And as a lifter, I don't care if Mark Rippetoe himself teaches me to squat for 6 straight hours.  It's not work $1000.

THIS. There is a Starting Strength gym near me for older athletes. With all of my MANY injuries I thought this would be an ideal place to learn proper form. It was $400 for 2 hour introductory session to learn form. Maybe in like 20 years I can throw that kind of money around, and by then I'll be an actual older athlete. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 11:10 AM, miss_marissa said:

Whoa!!!!!! That's a crazy week.

Kind of gives you a little push doesn't it? Funny how life does that to us.

Indeed! On the one hand I feel like my instincts were on point several months ago, but I'm taking it as a sign, a call to action :D 

On 8/5/2016 at 0:09 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

How as there a fire in the gym, was someone sacrificing their gains over an open flame in the cardio section? 

When will people learn... SMH :culpability:

On 8/5/2016 at 0:06 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

As for "experienced enough"...well...everyone starts somewhere!  You're somewhere, right? 

So worth exploring!

On 8/5/2016 at 0:26 PM, Grymm said:

Can we just take a minute and appreciate how fun "baba ganoush" is to say?  

Also, there are many levels of personal trainer/coach.  

23 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

THIS. There is a Starting Strength gym near me for older athletes. With all of my MANY injuries I thought this would be an ideal place to learn proper form. It was $400 for 2 hour introductory session to learn form. Maybe in like 20 years I can throw that kind of money around, and by then I'll be an actual older athlete. 

Ya, the lifting is the bit I'm feeling (obvs) inexperienced with, and am leaning more towards the customer service element which is something I have a lot of experience with, motivation, guidance... all feels very natural to me, and if a certification program is truly good, I should learn a fair bit from it, especially in making it easier for me to vocalize the instincts I've picked up over the decades of sports etc... and if I can pair that up with a good nutrition program I feel like I'll be modestly hirable if nothing else :P 

23 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I did that on Saturday!  And I forgot to give everybody the fashion show!  Oops!  See above. :(

It's not too late...

Ewwwwwwwww......  Sorry to hear. :(

Meh, def for the better. good riddance indeed.

While I believe this is correct in the vast majority of cases, I do not believe my gym, Darkside Fitness, is the one prescribing all these crazy Bulgarian and German programs.

The troll shadow casts a chilly wind... ;) 

• Like 1

Ended up with a compromise. Went in for upper hyper yesterday, (did a really interesting session), and skipping lower hyper today in exchange for some lower body stuff at home with Adam (while he does his BW circuits) and some hiking and/or walking with him tomorrow. (And maybe a baseball game/campfire combo for tonight?? :D)

Still undecided if next week will be my last week of PHUL for this cycle or if I just finished it - I'm thinking I may do a 3X next week with each day focusing on one of the big three in preparation for max testing the following week before Idaho. (Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on why this may be advantageous or not?)

So yesterday's lower hyper, I decided I would take my reps at a snails pace, and paced between the lowest weights I could manage this at. (With the exception of seated rows, somehow I ended up going higher than usual, it just seemed right.) Found that the longer periods of TUT gave me a chance to make micro adjustments on form and even tho I feel like toast today, I'm glad I went through it. I also found myself belting up for empty bar incline bench, which looked really, really stupid, but was also very informational. So whatevs lol. :abnormal:

Incline Bench

10/45#     10/55#     8/55#     11/45#Extra stupid slow

Flat Bench DB Flyes

8/20#     10/15#     8/20#     10/15#

Seated Cable Row

8/80#     10/60#     8/80#     12/60#

One Arm DB Row

10/15#     10/20#     10/15#     8/20#

DB Lat Raise

8/7.5#     10/5#     8/7.5#     10/5#

Seated Incline DB Curl

10/10#     12/7.5#     10/10#     10/10#

Cable Tricep Extension/BW Dips

12/22.5kg     8/27.5kg  1/3   10/22.5kg  1X3/5

Okay... so for some reason I have a really hard time feeling the tricep connections with the Rx accessories in PHUL. I've been going with it anyway because I just wanted to follow a program fully without changing it, just this once at least lol :P Before I started PHUL I was really into dips, and found I couldn't make depth on BW, so I was working with the assist machine. Haven't touched it in at least 6 weeks. Maybe because I know I'm at the end of this cycle or whatever, but I got so annoyed doing the cable extensions and once again having a hard time feeling my tris, that I jumped on the dip station just to see what was up. Felt solid, felt like I was hitting depth. Did some more. Took some video to see. Def want to bring this into the next round of PHUL, probably in leu of those damn extensions...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I jumped on the dip station just to see what was up. Felt solid, felt like I was hitting depth. Did some more. Took some video to see.

Dips are not back in my program, yet.  It was another part of what really messed up my shoulder before.  So I am mad jelly! :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Also mad jelly!

Dips looked fierce!

Thank you!!! :D 

15 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Dips are not back in my program, yet.  It was another part of what really messed up my shoulder before.  So I am mad jelly! :D

Oh dips, I hardly knew yeh...

qSNFVlW.gif  Z2ie4O7.gif  UsFnL9l.gif

Well, when you are ready, we can have a dip off :D I'm still working on getting that squat to 2X before you... it's gonna be AWHILE :culpability:

• Like 3

I did the compromise, and hey yo, it wasn't too bad! Starting to consider details for Idaho, and this was a promising bit of experimentation, especially finding body weight variations on body building stuff :D The list is short, but it took a good long time and I was fairly fatigued at the end, tho I may have added an extra calf in there if I had time.)

Also realized why my measurements are hovering steady at it's lowest - I haven't eaten to requirement in over a week, I'm always about 50-200 cals short. So I guess my body thinks it's on sort of a cut... or maybe 1400-1500 cals is a good number for me to be doing recomp? I was planning on reintroducing heavier cardio in the next cycle which will require more calories, maybe that's a good time to add more. We will see, but I'm happy with the amount of energy I have as well as skin quality overall.

Low Squats - Broken up into 4 sets ea

100X BW     60X 10#KB Goblet      40X 15#KB Goblet

Stability Ball Leg Curl

4X12

1 Leg Calf Raise Against Wall With Hip Raise

4X10

_____

So, not much more to say about week 3, I really like PHUL and want to continue with it again after Idaho. The refeed has at least resulted in more energy, and my lifts are getting stronger, so that's probably a nice combination of both along with noob gains. 

Life kind of turned on a dime this week, but didn't really tell me anything new, just gave me a shove off the cliff that I've been dying to swan dive off of anyway :P I have a week and a half before Idaho, during which time I'll be researching program options and opportunities for both PT and nutrition. 

Also, it is decided! Week 4 will be broken down into a 3x Monday/Wednesday/Friday split to work the big three hard respectively, off days given to movement/mobility :D:D:D 

3uodR4a.gif

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

So, not much more to say about week 3, I really like PHUL and want to continue with it again after Idaho. The refeed has at least resulted in more energy, and my lifts are getting stronger, so that's probably a nice combination of both along with noob gains. 

Life kind of turned on a dime this week, but didn't really tell me anything new, just gave me a shove off the cliff that I've been dying to swan dive off of anyway :P I have a week and a half before Idaho, during which time I'll be researching program options and opportunities for both PT and nutrition. 

Also, it is decided! Week 4 will be broken down into a 3x Monday/Wednesday/Friday split to work the big three hard respectively, off days given to movement/mobility :D:D:D 

It seems like PHUL is working for you. You are making good progress. If ain't broke, don't fix it? Of course who doesn't have a good case of PADD, program attention deficit disorder? And I don't think it's just noob gains, this is already August, I think it's just you working hard! :D 

• Like 2

Damn was I cranky at the gym today! Like, full on scowling cranky pants. No I didn't have a great reason, tho yes, there was a bro doing curls in one of the squat racks...aaaand, I had decided on squats for today for this reasoning: Shark week cometh = drop in energy and strength probably for the next few days. I figured legs would be something I could work the hardest under these circumstances, and thus give myself the most amount of time to rest before testing. In retrospect I think I would have thrived with bench today.

(Also, I didn't wait long enough to start after lunch, ended up with a stomach ache most of the session.) Here's what it amounted to, all back squats are hi bar:

Squat with Pause and Double Pulse 3X10/40#

Front squat 2X5 45#

Squat 1X5/75#

SS Front Squat 1X5/75#

Squat 1X5/95#

Squat 3X5/115#

SS Front Squat 1X5 45#

Squat 2X5/95#

SS Front Squat 1X5/45#

Squat with Pause and Double Pulse 1X5/75#

Front Squat 1X5/75

Curtsey Lunge

15/10#KBs     12/15#KBs     12/15#KBs

Box Jump 3X10

SS Hanging Side Crunches 3X8

Farmers Carries 3X180'/25# Plates

Also messed with some handstands, can do about 6-8secs free standing before handstand walking stumbling across the room :P  Felt good to do some circuit-ish stuff, and then eat this big sandwich sometime shortly after:

• Like 7

12 hours ago, ixaera said:

That looks like a super fun workout!

(Except the box jumps. I hate those things. But they're so good!)

16 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

You can keep your box jumps and I'll gladly take that sandwich. YUM.

You know what, it was fun! And I was definitely cheered up by the end :D I should have mentioned that. 

So far as jumps go, I would gladly take those over calf raises any day of the week! Damn calf machines and their... *grumble* stupid.... *grumble grumble grumble*

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

So far as jumps go, I would gladly take those over calf raises any day of the week! Damn calf machines and their... *grumble* stupid.... *grumble grumble grumble*

In my ~2 ish years lifting I have never once lifted calves.

I have, however, used the calf machine to do OHP! haha

• Like 5

<--------------loves box jumps

3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Did they give you sore calves?  You are talking about standing calf raise, right?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

LMAO!!! :D

4 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

<--------------loves box jumps

Did they give you sore calves?  You are talking about standing calf raise, right?

Any of em, standing with the machine, standing on a step, one legged, too legged, seated, they all suck. Box jumps and stuff like one legged hop runs also make them sore... they just don't suck as much for some reason lol :onthego:

19 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Damn was I cranky at the gym today! Like, full on scowling cranky pants. No I didn't have a great reason, tho yes, there was a bro doing curls in one of the squat racks...aaaand, I had decided on squats for today for this reasoning: Shark week cometh = drop in energy and strength probably for the next few days.

If I'm processing this correctly, "shark week" is a euphemism and all the conversations I've heard recently about shark week are now cast in a waaaaay different light.

I seriously thought people were talking about the Discovery Channel.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

If I'm processing this correctly, "shark week" is a euphemism and all the conversations I've heard recently about shark week are now cast in a waaaaay different light.

I seriously thought people were talking about the Discovery Channel.

LOL.....yeeeeeah. I've actually never heard the term before NF, but it is by far my favorite. So fierce! Any maybe even a little, dare I say... empowering?

Spoiler

7KkA6Hz.gif 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

LOL.....yeeeeeah. I've actually never heard the term before NF

I'm glad I am not the only person who never heard the term before NF.  There was a discussion several months ago that got me into soooooo much trouble.

Like.  Why are they so angry with me??!?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Just for that, you are my hero in every way. 

MjAxMy04OTUyMTY2NmNlNjQxM2Nl.png

Missing letter.  The sentiment stands. 

• Like 9