• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

RedStone Builds Shelter From The Rain

18 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I'm glad I am not the only person who never heard the term before NF.  There was a discussion several months ago that got me into soooooo much trouble.

Like.  Why are they so angry with me??!?

Uhhhh... link pls? Or at least a hint so I can go stalk that thread..

18 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Just for that, you are my hero in every way. 

Seriously :P 

15 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

Friends don't let friends miss calf day! DOTHEDAMNCALVES!

(Stoked I could meme this!)

Hahaha, I won't skip I promise! I'm just gonna do the more fun ones :D  they're still good!!!

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm alarmed how many memes there are about calves. I googled "calves meme" and they came at me like a wrecking ball. 

LOL my guess is that it's an easily over looked muscle group unless you're an athlete doing stuff like basketball or cycling etc. It's uncomfortable to train, and for the most part isn't that noticeable when it's a little less developed than say the quads, and aesthetically, unless you're a body builder or wear shorts all year, they're pretty covered up! But I dunno, good balance (literal and figurative) in training is probably, like, super important and junk :P 

(Not the best GIF for the valley girl sentiment, but I'm scrapping the bottom of the energy barrel... see below :P)

qfxmkw9.gif

Yeah, so, still feeling absurdly shitty, and even debating if I should skip the gym today. But no, I probably won't. Think it makes sense to take a chest day and keep it relatively light with high volume, kinda like Monday with the squats, only with one dynamic twist - I have every intention of eating like an asshole today.

There, I said it. Anything that has resembled a "cheat" in the last month or two has been carefully tracked and worked well into my macros. According to MFP I exceeded my daily intake once since starting PHUL, and you know what? I'm super tired of having these sugar dreams! lol - last night it was a bag of skittles which was in no way satisfying to me whatsoever. (I'm not a fan - I don't dislike per say, but not something I go for.) 

So. I'm gonna do the stuff, bench stuff, then I'm gonna go get some mac and Cheetohs from Burger King (just like those horrifying chicken rings from White Castle - I just had to try them!) and then off to Stone Cold Creamery for some sort of odd delight. I will track nothing, and I will not weigh myself tomorrow.

In other news, I've almost decided on the American Council on Exercise for a personal training program, tho I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The other contender is the American College of Sports Medicine, which is an older institution and seems to be the runner up, but also seems to have a bit less clout and overall options than ACE. Honestly tho, I think it probably makes sense to get both eventually, so maybe it's good to get ACE out of the way and do ACSM later.

On the one hand it would be nice to commit now and have some materials to study on the trip next week, but I also don't want to make a rash decision, especially since I'm getting ready to attend the Red Wedding (!) and can't necessarily be trusted to make good decision. (See above rant on sundaes). Perhaps in a few days my head will clear...

• Like 3

I find calves to be completely the opposite.  To me, they are very visible as they are fully on display in shorts, dresses, and kilts, specifically the gastrocnemius (one day I will learn to say and spell this muscle).  I am an avid indoor volleyball player, so my calves are one of my better features.  Also, if you do a fair amount of hiking or walking on unpaved terrain, your calves get built up from balance corrections.  I *think* squats tend to work the soleus more as you'll make more balancing corrections with the knee bent than you would at lockout. 

That said, I also partially tore one of my Achilles once and wound up with a brutal case of tendenitis in both Achilles after it healed from not bending my ankles in 2-3 months.  Therefore, I may pay more attention to my calves than most.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I find calves to be completely the opposite.  To me, they are very visible as they are fully on display in shorts, dresses, and kilts

Yeah, you don't count. You're squarely in at least two of those categories being both shorts (kilts??? Do go on...) and shorts specific sport, add on that injury (OUCH!!!) and boom, extra mindfullness. Seriously though, I don't have a seriously though. It's just meme fodder :P 

Meanwhile I ate a healthy sandwich and don't want junk food anymore :o I'll try to get my shit together for post gym :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

"stay at home son

jackie-stoned-laugh.gif

I actually think that there is a correlation between being chubby as a kid and having thicker calves as an adult.  No science, just a feeling. 

64080b2a584351128a01691e5da14d3fd29ccf0d

Not at all fat shaming, it just happens that I saw this this morning and thought it was relevant...

• Like 4

Oh Wednesday, I'm glad you're over and done with! Yesterday was all about suffering and indulgences. (Sounds so GOT!) Sleep was not great, I went to the gym on less fuel that I should have, and I exceeded my planned max for working sets and ended up failing on bench and having to dump the bar. Of course all the bros in the vicinity rushed over when it was clear I had failed... By the time they got to me I had already dumped and re-racked it, and assured them all I was fine :P I'm surprised at how unabashed I was about it and didn't feel a twinge of awkwardness or shame, even when they all simultaneously rolled their eyes when I reset the bar with the same amount of weight. (It's okay, I'm not totally insane, just went for singles instead of triples.)

Other highlights included forgetting my log book and using scraps of paper from the front desk, a bit of a headache, long rests on the benches and floor that tried to turn into naps, (hoody up) some light kudos from one of the old timer managers about my dips being good for a woman, and shark week beginning right at the end of the session. In retrospect it's all pretty hilarious. There were nuggets and sugars to be had afterwards, and no sugar dream last night. And now back to your regularly scheduled nutrition...

Bench

2X5/45#

2X5/65#

5/85#

2/95# F on 3, much-bro-bar-dump

3X1/95#

2X3/85#

Incline Bench

3X10/45# 

Flat Bench Flye

3X12/15#

OHP

3X10/30#

BB Curls

3X10/30#

Seated Cable Rows

3X12/60#

DB Lat Raise

3X12/5#

BW Dips

8X5

Today is home, laundry, order ACE materials (!!!) lunch with friend, rehearsals tonight. Back to normal. Also, getting more and more stupid excited for my first nerd meet-up this weekend! Anyone else feels like making their way to the Hudson Valley NY State on Saturday? :D 

• Like 6

My brain is not functioning this morning so I am having trouble formulating a response. But I will say, yay! I'm excited for you to get started on the ACE materials. :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Other highlights included forgetting my log book and using scraps of paper from the front desk, a bit of a headache, long rests on the benches and floor that tried to turn into naps, (hoody up) some light kudos from one of the old timer managers about my dips being good for a woman, and shark week beginning right at the end of the session.

My log book looks like it's been through a war.  Yesterday, it fell off my desk and I ran it over with my desk chair, messing up the front cover.  Also, I missed where women had different muscles and had to do dips differently.  But I must say, you do post updates to your challenge pretty well.... for a woman.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My brain is not functioning this morning so I am having trouble formulating a response. But I will say, yay! I'm excited for you to get started on the ACE materials. :D 

Yay! me too!!! Though I admit I'm a little disappointed that they don't spell skillz with a z...

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

But I must say, you do post updates to your challenge pretty well.... for a woman.

I'm also super duper excited!  (For a woman.) 

KNxkuK1.gif  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

FTFY

Glad I'm not the only one who has some sass about this.

Lol :D And he actually stopped me mid set, with my arms locked out at the top, and squeezed my engaged arm appreciatively while asking questions :P 

17 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Lol :D And he actually stopped me mid set, with my arms locked out at the top, and squeezed my engaged arm appreciatively while asking questions :P 

Gross. 

Have you ever seen him do that to another dude?  There are people out there with no boundaries, and it's not a dude/lady thing, just a clueless thing. 

• Like 2

Gross. 

Have you ever seen him do that to another dude?  There are people out there with no boundaries, and it's not a dude/lady thing, just a clueless thing. 

H1tnn1i.gif

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Other highlights included forgetting my log book and using scraps of paper from the front desk

18 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I've forgotten my log and written on a scrap of paper, too.  WTH, they already think that I am loony toons...

A couple of times I've used the chat room to keep track of how many sets I've done! :P 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

A couple of times I've used the chat room to keep track of how many sets I've done! :P 

You gotta do what you gotta do. I'm not gonna risk doing too few or too many sets. Nope nope nope nope. ;) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

LOL I've totally seen you do that ;) 

_____

Just waking up, reading through some of my study stuff but looking forward to getting the hard materials so I can highlight stuff and take margin notes and junk cause that helps me remember things. Shipping says my gear should arrive just in time to take to Idaho! So that works out nicely :) Made some liquid chalk yesterday and looking forward to trying it out this afternoon! Will report on that and deadlifts later. That is all. :D 

• Like 4

GAH! Nerd meeting up day and I'm super excited!!! Super quick log from yesterday before hitting the road. Felt strong and easy, next time I'll load up on sumo DLs.

Good Mornings

2X10/45#

RDL

2X10/45#

DeadLifts

2X5/135#     2X5/145#     3X5/55#     3X5/165#

Sumo DL

2X5/135#

DB Straight Lat Pulldowns

3X10/5#

Bent Rows

2X12/20#     2X12/30#

Lat Pull Down (Seated cable)

12/30#     2X12/40#     12/50#

Leg Curls

3X12/25#

10X Plyo Box Jumps

Calf Raise Machine 2X10/40#

Also, liquid chalk made a bigger mess than when I use the rocks... LOL Huge mess. HUGE. :distrust:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Also, liquid chalk made a bigger mess than when I use the rocks... LOL Huge mess. HUGE. :distrust:

Here is what I was told about liquid chalk:

Very small quantity.

Rub it where you need it.

Pat the hands together like you are doing a golf clap.

When it dries, your hands will be chalked up.

• Like 2

Leg curls, your favorite. ;) but you are doing them anyway. And that's why you are the champion. 

How does one do DB pulldowns?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2016 at 9:57 AM, Sam Ashen said:

Here is what I was told about liquid chalk:

Very small quantity.

Rub it where you need it.

Pat the hands together like you are doing a golf clap.

When it dries, your hands will be chalked up.

Check on all fronts except the golf clap, I did more of the - shake the polaroid until it develops - kinda move. But I'll try that, and maybe even less chalk next time :P I do have an awful lot of it now...

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Leg curls, your favorite. ;) but you are doing them anyway. And that's why you are the champion. 

How does one do DB pulldowns?

Oops lol That should be raises - I meant to do straight arm pull downs on the cable machine but it was occupado, so I did raises with the DBs! :D Also, I still hate let curls :P One day I will find a fun alternative for hammys... I hope!