The Legend of Cataleya

Cataleya

I am back, and with a vengeance!

Today is 124 days until I see the Symphony of the Goddesses, so I thought I'd do a themed challenge until then. I wanted to do something I'd be excited to do and something interactive, so I figured I would make it like I was going through the dungeons of my favorite game of the series (bonus points if you've played it!). I seem to get burned out/circumstances change every two weeks or so, so I figured if I changed things up slightly and kept them simple, that this would work for me. I figured I would focus on making small changes and commitments that are fun and won't burn me out. So as you can see from the challenge below, things are pretty simple - three daily tasks, three weekly tasks. Nothing too crazy, mostly yes/no stuff.

And at the end of it all, you all get to vote on whether I get to move on to the next dungeon!

If yes, I get the item from that dungeon and get to move on! I modify my challenges slightly (I might change the format a little bit a few times, like instead of the Triforce I might do a few of the masks or Sages instead or something, but it'll always be really simple challenges meant to build up good habits).

If no, I have three days to prove I'm serious, and on the Dawn of the Third Day, you'll vote again! (This will shift my entire timeline from that point on, so it's motivation for me to stick to it!)

Tail Cave - 07.11 - 07.25  LA_Roc%27s_Feather_Sprite.gif LAfullmooncello.gif

Bottle Grotto - 07.25 - 08.08 LApowerbracelet.gif LAconchhorn.gif

Key Cavern - 08.08 - 08.22 LApegasusboots.gif LAsealilysbell.gif

Angler's Tunnel - 08.22 - 09.05

Catfish's Maw - 09.05 - 09.19

Face Shrine - 09.19 - 10.03

Eagle's Tower - 10.03 - 10.17

Turtle Rock - 10.17 - 10.31

Wind Fish's Egg - 10.31 - 11.12 (Symphony Day!)

(The rest of that challenge will be maintenance.)

Dungeon 01. Tail Cave

LALv1.png

Spoiler

Starting Weight: 188lbs
Measurements:

Waist: 39"

Chest: 40"

Upper Arm: 14"

Hips: 42"

Thighs: 27"

oracle_of_seasons_by_mgabric-d7kjogn.jpg

TRIFORCE OF POWER

DAILY: Stretch it out – They say stretching strengthens your muscles while expanding your range of motion, which is what every Assassin needs. I will stretch daily, practicing mindfulness while I stretch.

WEEKLY: Carry that weight – Din is associated with fire. Who else lives in fire but our dear friends the Gorons? Twice a week, I should lift weights. Assuming that I go to the gym, I will utilize a modified StrongLifts 5x5 routine. When I’m unable to get to the gym, I will utilize a similar routine, but with my adjustable dumbbells. In the off-chance that I am unable to utilize either, I will utilize the Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight Workout.

oracle_of_ages_by_themadlysane-d7l42ts.j

TRIFORCE OF WISDOM

DAILY: Write the dissertation – If I want to graduate in the next year, I’m going to need to buckle down. I should spend at least 30 minutes a day doing something to advance my dissertation—whether that’s reading an article or book chapter, writing, or making edits.

WEEKLY: Don that Zora Mask – The goddess Nayru is associated with water, and swimming is an important skill to have if you want to stay alive and be around water all the time, which I hope one day I can be. If I am unable to get to the pool for some reason (e.g. travel), I will run at least one mile instead. After all, endurance is also important, and sometimes the smartest thing you can do is run.

oracle_of_secrets_by_themadlysane-d7lgo0

TRIFORCE OF COURAGE

DAILY: Stick to the plan – I started Medifast’s Take Shape for Life meal plan on June 29. I am going to need to drum up the courage to stick with the plan. I am going to check in here daily to make sure I’m keeping on track.

WEEKLY: Walk like the wind – My weekly average distance is 30 miles. I’m going to shoot for 35 miles a week, as judged by my Fitbit. I think this will challenge me to push my limits in a way that won’t discourage me. If possible, I should take scenic walks to help accomplish this goal; after all, Farore is associated with the forest and an appreciation for life.

Audience Judgment: LA_Roc%27s_Feather_Sprite.gif LAfullmooncello.gif Roc's Feather and Full Moon Cello obtained!

Dungeon 02. Bottle Grotto

LALv2.gif

Spoiler

Starting Weight: 188.6lbs (+.6lbs)
Measurements: Measurement tracker courtesy of @Hazard 

Date Weight 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Fat Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass per Fat Mass ratio Fat lbs Left to Lose to hit 3.5 ratio
31-Jul-2016 188.6 136.6 52.0 2.63 12.9

Waist: 35"

Chest: 42.5"  

Upper Arm: 13.5"

Hips: 45"

Thighs: 28"

Note: I'm still learning how to do this whole measurement thing correctly, so I'm not assigning any judgment on whether this was good or bad this time.

I thought now would be a good time for some girl power! Let's use Zelda in her various forms for this dungeon's motivation.

450px-HW_Sheik_Harp.png

SHEIK

DAILY: ASSASSIN MINI-CHALLENGE - Sheik would be the perfect assassin. He mysteriously appears and disappears, throws needles, uses chains, flips in the air, oh, and is in the ultimate disguise. So. Y'know. I'll make sure I've done what I can for the mini challenge each day.

WEEKLY: BE STRONG FOR LINK - Lift twice a week. Because the best assassins have muscles.

497px-HWL_Tetra_Pistol_Artwork.png

TETRA

DAILY: GET TO THE FINISH LINE – Tetra takes challenges head on. I need to work on my dissertation for 30 minutes every day. If I don't have anything for my dissertation to work on (say, if my advisor is looking over a draft), then I need to work on one of the many other projects I'm currently working on. I may take one day a week to rest if I need to. Even Tetra needs sleep sometimes.

WEEKLY: SWIM FASTER – Tetra couldn't be captain of a pirate ship if she didn't know how to swim. Make sure to keep swimming twice a week to keep improving my recently acquired skills!

254px-HW_Zelda_-_Era_of_Twilight_Robes.p

ZELDA

DAILY: CLEANSE THE SOUL – Let's get back on track. Stick with the Medifast plan as best as I can. Zelda is known for her forgiveness, so let's aim for at least 5/7 and not beat myself up if I fail one or two days. Note that this isn't an excuse to pig out (it's still a daily goal), but rather to practice not hating myself if I don't do exactly what I wanted to accomplish. 

WEEKLY: GO THE DISTANCE – Shoot for 35 miles a week. Zelda can go the distance. So can I now that I'm back in the city!

Audience Judgment: LApowerbracelet.gif LAconchhorn.gif Power Bracelet and Conch Horn obtained!

Dungeon 03. Key Cavern

LALv3.gif

Spoiler

Starting Weight: 185.8lbs (-2.8lbs)
Measurements: Measurement tracker courtesy of @Hazard 

Date Weight 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Fat Mass 7-Day Avg. (lbs) Lean Mass per Fat Mass ratio Fat lbs Left to Lose to hit 3.5 ratio
7-Aug-2016 185.9 134.6 51.3 2.62 12.8
14-Aug-2016 185.8 135.0 50.8 2.66 12.3

Waist: 33" (-2")

Upper Arm: 13.5"

Hips: 44.75" (-0.25")

Thighs: 27.5" (-.5")

Time for more awesome women of Zelda!

630px-Hyrule_Warriors_Impa_Longsword_Art

IMPA

DAILY: ASSASSIN MINI-CHALLENGE - Impa is fiercely loyal and protective. I too should be loyal and focus on training beside my fellow assassins, so I know how best to protect them.

WEEKLY: IMPROVE YOUR STRENGTH - I must be strong enough to protect the princess. This requires training at least twice a week! If I can succeed at this challenge, Impa thinks I should pick another one during the next dungeon, while continuing to improve my strength.

511px-Great_Fairy_WW.png

GREAT FAIRY

DAILY: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS - The Great Fairy has suggested I spend some time each day grateful for the gifts life gives me, in order to heal my mind and spirit. Included in this is a note about whether I've succeeded at feeding my physical body properly as well.

WEEKLY: IMPROVE YOUR OXYGEN GAUGE - The Great Fairy has me covered on my Magic Meter, but thinks I should spend another week improving my swimming, doing so at least twice a week. If I can succeed at this challenge, The Great Fairy thinks I should pick another one during the next dungeon, while continuing to improve my strength.

Malon_%28Oracle_of_Seasons%29.png

MALON

DAILY: PLAY EPONA'S SONG - I picked up an Ocarina this weekend! I should learn how to play it by practicing for at least 20 minutes a day.

WEEKLY: RIDE – Shoot for 35 miles of walking a week. If I can succeed at this challenge, Malon thinks I should pick another one during the next dungeon, while continuing to improve my strength.

Audience Judgment: LApegasusboots.gif LAsealilysbell.gif Pegasus Boots and Sea Lily's Bell obtained!

Dungeon 04. Angler's Tunnel

LA_Angler%27s_Tunnel.png

Starting Weight: 182.8lbs (-3lbs)
Measurements: Measurement tracker 

7-Aug-2016 185.6 134.4 51.2 2.62 12.8
14-Aug-2016 184.8 134.2 50.6 2.65 12.2
21-Aug-2016 181.6 131.9 49.7 2.66 12.0
28-Aug-2016 182.8 132.9 49.9 2.66 11.9

Upper Arm: 13" (-.5")

Waist: 33" (no change)

Hips: 44" (-.75")

Thighs: 27 (-.5")

Time for my favorite Link's Awakening characters!

542px-HW_Marin_Bell_Artwork.png

MARIN

DAILY: EXPLORE - Marin is a girl with a dream: leave this island and explore the world. I should spend a little bit of time outside, other than my walks to and from campus. If possible, go to the lake. Summer is going to be gone before I know it. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to do some seagull watching.

WEEKLY: PLAY - Marin is known for her beautiful voice, and Link's Awakening focuses on instruments. In line with that, practice the ocarina 5 out of 7 days! Try to master one song a week.

Owl_Artwork_1.png

OWL

DAILY: STUDY - The owl is wise, so I should be too. I should work on one of my various projects 5 days out of 7, keeping in mind that a healthy brain needs to rest.

WEEKLY: LIFT - Flying requires strong wings. I should make sure I am keeping mine strong by doing various strength exercises. For this challenge, let's try to get in three sessions a week.

Wind_Fish.png

WINDFISH

DAILY: WAKE UP - Link's goal is to wake the Windfish up. In line with that, I should not oversleep! I should wake up at 6:30am every morning, give or take a few minutes.

WEEKLY: SWIM - The Windfish flies, but presumably he can also swim. Even if he can't, Link's Awakening is set on an island. If you can't swim, you're probably out of luck. So I will continue swimming twice a week.

• Like 15

Gotta be around for some sweet Zelda action! My wife took me to Symphony of the Goddess a couple years ago for my birthday and it was great!!

• Like 3

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

Daily update!

TRIFORCE OF POWER

DAILY: Stretch it out – Done

WEEKLY: Carry that weight – 0/2

TRIFORCE OF WISDOM

DAILY: Write the dissertation – Done

WEEKLY: Don that Zora Mask – 1/2

TRIFORCE OF COURAGE

DAILY: Stick to the plan – Done

WEEKLY: Walk like the wind – 4.7/35

Not a bad start!

• Like 8

Cataleya!! Hi!! Symphony of the Goddess is great and you are great and this challenge is great! Following. :)

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Daily update!

TRIFORCE OF POWER

DAILY: Stretch it out – Done. I'm trying different kinds of stretches until I find what I like. I will always take recommendations!

WEEKLY: Carry that weight – 0/2. Gonna do this tomorrow and Friday or Saturday.

TRIFORCE OF WISDOM

DAILY: Write the dissertation – Am doing that in a few minutes, before bed!

WEEKLY: Don that Zora Mask – 1/2. Thursday is next swim day.

TRIFORCE OF COURAGE

DAILY: Stick to the plan – Done. Ate at Chipotle, but ate on plan! Hadn't been planning on that, but ran into friends. See below.

WEEKLY: Walk like the wind – 14.74/35. Walked around with some friends which really helped!

• Like 6

Following along!

• Like 2

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Daily update!

TRIFORCE OF POWER

DAILY: Stretch it out – Done. I'm going to do a flexibility and mobility self test in the next few days. I will post the results here.

WEEKLY: Carry that weight – 1/2.

DAY ONE

5x5 squats at 45lbs. Might need to up this. Felt a little too easy.

5x5 bench press at 45lbs. I've lost some strength here.

5x5 deadlifts at 45lbs. I totally did these wrong today, but I'm gonna count them because I was fed bad info. Will do better next time.

5 pull ups at -250lbs. Difficult but manageable. Really want to reduce the amount of aid.

TRIFORCE OF WISDOM

DAILY: Write the dissertation – Done! My advisor is pleased with my progress so far.

WEEKLY: Don that Zora Mask – 1/2. Swim tomorrow! Last lesson. Kind of sad about that.

TRIFORCE OF COURAGE

DAILY: Stick to the plan – Done.

WEEKLY: Walk like the wind – 20.2/35 mi. Walked around with some friends which really helped!

DAY ONE: 4.71 mi

DAY TWO: 10.1 mi

DAY THREE: 5.39 mi

DAY FOUR:

DAY FIVE:

DAY SIX:

DAY SEVEN:

---

So I am proud of myself for fighting off the excuse monkey and lifted weights early this morning. I think I did okay. I was annoyed by Son effing Goku powering up with obnoxious grunts as he did bench presses with his 110lb dumbbells and doing pushups. Honestly, if you're that loud, the weights are too heavy for you. I dunno.

I gave a presentation at work today and everyone said it was really helpful, which was a boost to the self esteem. Bad news was that my shaker had some serious smell issues with it and I didn't feel comfortable making the two shakes I brought with me, meaning my mealtime schedule was thrown off and I was STUPID hungry when I got home. Still managed to stay in plan though. So that's good I guess.

So far, so good. I kind of want a burger though.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I think I did okay. I was annoyed by Son effing Goku powering up with obnoxious grunts as he did bench presses with his 110lb dumbbells and doing pushups. Honestly, if you're that loud, the weights are too heavy for you. I dunno.

You crack me up. :D 

Good job on sticking to the plan despite difficulties. It sounds like you had an awesome day between that presentation and your advisor being happy with your progress! 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

TRIFORCE OF POWER

DAILY: Stretch it out – I've been stretching a lot today. DOMS. See below.

WEEKLY: Carry that weight – 1/2.

DAY ONE

5x5 squats at 45lbs. Might need to up this. Felt a little too easy.

5x5 bench press at 45lbs. I've lost some strength here.

5x5 deadlifts at 45lbs. I totally did these wrong today, but I'm gonna count them because I was fed bad info. Will do better next time.

5 pull ups at -250lbs. Difficult but manageable. Really want to reduce the amount of aid.

TRIFORCE OF WISDOM

DAILY: Write the dissertation – Will do later tonight, before bed.

WEEKLY: Don that Zora Mask – 2/2. Woo!

TRIFORCE OF COURAGE

DAILY: Stick to the plan – Eh. I'm slightly off today. See below.

WEEKLY: Walk like the wind – 26.58/35 mi. Walked around with some friends which really helped!

DAY ONE: 4.71 mi

DAY TWO: 10.1 mi

DAY THREE: 5.4 mi

DAY FOUR: 6.37 mi

DAY FIVE:

DAY SIX:

DAY SEVEN:

---

Okay, so down the list:

DOMS. Not absolutely horrible DOMS in my arms, but getting up and down hurts. Walking up stairs hurts. Oh, I don't think I mentioned, but our elevator is out in my work building. And I had to go to the sixth floor today. And back down. And to the fifth floor. And down. Shouldn't it get easier over time? No, it doesn't. Especially if you did squats the day before.

Swimming was fun! Today was the last day of this summer session's lessons. We've been doing freestyle, which I'm okay at, but man I was doing pretty well with the backstroke. I thought maybe I was just overestimating how I was doing, but I noticed that I usually went last for the freestyle because I'm slowest and didn't want anyone to run into me, and then when we started doing backstroke the others in the advanced group started trying to get me to go first instead. Then, after the instructor tested our endurance and got us to do a lap, she actually came over and said, "Your form is looking really good on the backstroke. You know, everyone has a stroke, like mine is the breaststroke, and I think yours is the backstroke. Really." That made me feel really good and like I'd made some real progress, as if you all remember, when I first started trying to incorporate swimming into my workouts, I had to wear flippers or I literally didn't move forward.

I signed up for the second summer session of lessons, still in the beginner class. (It's technically the second half of the beginner class, if I'd been taking it during the school year it'd be eight lessons instead of two sessions of four lessons.) I'll miss one lesson because my boyfriend and I are going to a convention but I figured that'd be okay. She's a really good instructor and I have been making progress and I'd like to continue to do so. Oddly enough I think my swimsuit is getting a little too big, haha. I'll wait and see if that's the case, and if it is, I can always get another one, as they were super cheap on Amazon, and I wonder if this swimsuit will fit my mom, who as you guys might remember was losing a lot of weight last I talked to her. I think she gained some of it back though, which I was afraid of.

So I went slightly off plan today. I went to a tea shop I like to frequent but haven't gone into since I started this Medifast thing. I wanted to pick up this apple tea that I think my mom might like. You see, when we'd travel in Turkey and Egypt, they'd often give you apple tea in shops and stuff while you wait, as a courtesy thing. It was amazing, but we haven't really been able to find an equivalent anywhere, even when we'd buy "Turkish apple tea" in a box in Germany. I have no idea how they make it but it's amazing. Anyway, this tea shop has some apple tea that I think might be the closest we'll get in America, so I went to pick some up. Usually while I'm in there I get this earl grey creme thing out of habit, and that's what happened. What's funny though, is subconsciously I must have been thinking "I don't want a whole big one like I get" so I ended up getting the smallest one that actually comes in a bottle. I was halfway through the bottle before I realized what happened. I don't think I'm gonna beat myself up about it though, especially since I swam today and I tend to be hungrier on days I swim. So 80 calories and a little bit of sugar won't kill me, since I'm not making a habit of it.

Tomorrow is going to be impossible to stick to plan, though. I'm flying home for the week. My parents have some of the Medifast stuff at their place, so when I get there I can eat on plan, but they don't like you bringing food in, etc. etc. etc. So tonight after I print my tickets out I am going to look up the airport and see where the healthiest places are to eat and see what I can get that isn't going to bloat me or really push me back or send me into a binge of crappy food or something, and just kind of work from there. I knew a day like this would come eventually, so I just have to learn to be careful and thoughtful about my choices.

Also @Hazard is helping out with some body fat calculation stuff so I might adjust my overall goals sometime in the near future if it turns out to be insightful. Y'all should go follow his challenge thread!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Tomorrow is going to be impossible to stick to plan, though. I'm flying home for the week. My parents have some of the Medifast stuff at their place, so when I get there I can eat on plan, but they don't like you bringing food in, etc. etc. etc. So tonight after I print my tickets out I am going to look up the airport and see where the healthiest places are to eat and see what I can get that isn't going to bloat me or really push me back or send me into a binge of crappy food or something, and just kind of work from there. I knew a day like this would come eventually, so I just have to learn to be careful and thoughtful about my choices.

While finding the healthiest place to eat is a great second option, you can absolutely bring certain foods into the airport and they can't do anything about it!

People flying domestically pack produce all the time. I had lollipops the size of my head in my carry on (they searched my bag with that one, but I was allowed). I also had a pack of the single serve tuna that stayed in my laptop bag for about 6 months. Do you just mix your shakes with water? I'd pack your shaker and a mix, then buy water when you get through security. Or meal replacement bars are great (really anything that doesn't require cooking should be fine - provided it's not like, soup). 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sylvaa said:

While finding the healthiest place to eat is a great second option, you can absolutely bring certain foods into the airport and they can't do anything about it!

People flying domestically pack produce all the time. I had lollipops the size of my head in my carry on (they searched my bag with that one, but I was allowed). I also had a pack of the single serve tuna that stayed in my laptop bag for about 6 months. Do you just mix your shakes with water? I'd pack your shaker and a mix, then buy water when you get through security. Or meal replacement bars are great (really anything that doesn't require cooking should be fine - provided it's not like, soup). 

I'll try it, but they've made me throw out (non-liquid) food before. :ambivalence: I don't really have the best of luck at airports, which is funny considering I use them all the time for both domestic and international flights.

Ugh I keep trying to print out my dissertation paper because I like writing on things and I figured that'd be something to do while I'm in the airport and it totally keeps jamming. It was doing that last night and tonight. I don't really have the time to figure out why it keeps doing that, so I guess I'll just make edits directly on my laptop.

5 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I'll try it, but they've made me throw out (non-liquid) food before. :ambivalence: I don't really have the best of luck at airports, which is funny considering I use them all the time for both domestic and international flights.

Ugh I keep trying to print out my dissertation paper because I like writing on things and I figured that'd be something to do while I'm in the airport and it totally keeps jamming. It was doing that last night and tonight. I don't really have the time to figure out why it keeps doing that, so I guess I'll just make edits directly on my laptop.

I know that people have trouble with yogurt, or anything that is in that, "it's not really liquid, but it's not solid" group. I've definitely brought a lot of food through security (fun fact: one TSA agent said that if you freeze the yogurt before - so it's hard through the belt - you can carry that on too). If they give you a hard time, I would ask them why you can't bring it through, not to be smart, but just to leave you better prepared for next time. But the shake mix or protein bars I've done before.

Ugh for paper jams! Hope your travels go well!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I know that people have trouble with yogurt, or anything that is in that, "it's not really liquid, but it's not solid" group. I've definitely brought a lot of food through security (fun fact: one TSA agent said that if you freeze the yogurt before - so it's hard through the belt - you can carry that on too). If they give you a hard time, I would ask them why you can't bring it through, not to be smart, but just to leave you better prepared for next time. But the shake mix or protein bars I've done before.

Yeah I was under that impression but I've had to throw away snack bars at two airports. Asked why, can't remember what bullshit reason they gave each time, but I didn't push it. I wasn't going to get held up by TSA over a couple bucks' worth of snacks. I gave up bringing snacks because of it. I figured they want you buying your snacks there. And I fly a lot, but I dunno. I normally don't even need to eat on short trips like this, but with this six meal a day thing obviously that will come up. I'll try it. Maybe the third time is the charm. :beguiled:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cataleya said:

Yeah I was under that impression but I've had to throw away snack bars at two airports. Asked why, can't remember what bullshit reason they gave each time, but I didn't push it. I wasn't going to get held up by TSA over a couple bucks' worth of snacks. I gave up bringing snacks because of it. I figured they want you buying your snacks there. And I fly a lot, but I dunno. I normally don't even need to eat on short trips like this, but with this six meal a day thing obviously that will come up. I'll try it. Maybe the third time is the charm. :beguiled:

Wow, what bullshit! Sorry that happened :(

Weirdly, I think I've brought snacks aplenty in my carry on and no one has ever batted an eye. Your airport must have hungrier TSA agents!

Airport food is so expensive, too :(

• Like 1

So this has been a hilariously frustrating morning.

I packed, blah blah blah, got on a bus to get on a train to get to the airport, got through security in virtually no time for once (but, as per usual with my luck with TSA agents as we've seen, I had to have a really thorough pat down because apparently I lit up their scanners in three different places). I get to my gate, I am starving and like two or three hours early for boarding, and... I can find my shaker, but not my food.

tumblr_n67hhgdpkQ1rqgtvdo1_500.gif

You've got to be kidding me, I think. There's no way I forgot to pack my food after all of this, right? Maybe I was distracted with my printer issues and I didn't move them from the table into my carry-on. And TSA agents can't be hankering for Medifast food that much to steal it, yeah?

So I sigh, pack up, start trying to find food. As you all know, airport food kind of sucks, healthy-wise. It's greasy Chinese, or greasy Mexican, or greasy American fast food, or Dunkin Donuts or some other place with bagels and donuts and that's it, or it's questionable sandwiches, or it's a place where it costs you $20 just to sit down. I had found a Mediterranean place that looked promising when I looked up the airport last night, but it was crappy sandwiches and pizza. Great.

tumblr_m9p5b3zaWL1r0oa3lo1_500.gif

McDonald's it is, I guess. I was hungry, I was grumpy, I knew I was reacting emotionally, but I also didn't care. Maybe I could just get a kids meal. I don't trust their salads. But they're serving breakfast. Great. I hate McDonald's breakfast.

I walk around some more. Nothing looks appealing. Nothing. Nothing.

I go back and ask the server when McDonald's starts serving lunch ("real food" in my mind). 10:30, she says. I've already been walking around for like an hour, and that's a half hour away. 

I'm so frustrated at this point. I couldn't have forgotten to pack the food. I couldn't have. So I tell myself this: you will go back to your gate. You will sit down. You will look through your bag (which doesn't have a lot of stuff in it to begin with!) again. If the food is not in there, and you're 100% sure of it, you can go back to McDonald's. I stop by Starbucks to get a plain, unsweetened iced earl grey (with a splash of whole milk as a treat/way to get myself to calm the hell down).

So I go alllllllllll the way back to my gate, I sit down, I search through my bag.

tumblr_n2jnwpEhAN1sm0d0bo2_500.gif

So my bag has two sleeves in it for laptops or books or whatever. Apparently they'd fallen in there somehow when I put them in, and not in the main pocket like I thought I put them, and I must have glanced over them when I looked there earlier. D'oh!

So now I'm munching on a chocolate mint bar and using my paltry 30 minutes complimentary Wi-Fi to check in on you guys. What a ride. I haven't even gotten on the plane yet! 

I guess on the plus side I am up to 5200 steps out of my daily goal of 11,000. I only had like 800 steps when I got to the airport. XD

Airports, man.

UOLrqJj.gif

• Like 9

Liking for the accidental step boost! And the food finding. It's nice when stuff you need is there after all~

My method in airports when I find myself woefully foodless is the convenience stations. They usually have a protein bar or some fruit or something. Often. Depends on where you are, probably??

Had a laugh at the Portland airport last week because they have a "healthy market" shop with convenience store like food and snacks inside. Everything I could see from the outside (I didn't need to go in, had my own protein bars) was stuff like cheez its and gardettos. HEALTHY indeed :P

• Like 2

Wow, American airport food sounds terrible. But hooray for finding your food!

Currently I'm preparing salad for lunch at work two or three times a week. I keep it in the fridge until I leave my apartment. Of course, I forget it once in a while. When I do I really get angry at myself. Then I always try to get excited about the salad and my fantastic honey mustard vinaigrette waiting for me for dinner.

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log