• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TiffanyD

Tiffany D is Back and Becoming a Strongwoman

Hey!  I am making my return this challenge, while I have been gone from the forums for a month I haven't been skipping the gym.  I even come with gifts!!!  AKA workout videos!

So my trainer and I were talking last month and he talked me into try out a strongman competition.  The training is a lot more enjoyable for me (and him), and I have been learning so many events.

Yoke Carry 280lbs (current max for same distance is 320 now) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2eEgsilzU

80lb log press - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foYY5E8nyTA

290lb sled pull - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSia7NF94a4

500-600 lb tire flip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfN4AggxH_Q

I was actually embarrassed to put this one up at first, but then someone said good fight to me.  I realized that yes, it was sloppy, but I didn't give up and that was a pretty awesome feeling.

260lb frame carry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFvtph-_inA

So now that we have caught up, and you have seen what I have been up to we will move on to what I will be up to for the next month.

This challenge will basically be all about training for the competition which is Oct 22.  Events will be released later this month.

Goal 1: 3 weight days and a 90 min orange theory (up to my limit of 4 per month) class weekly.  If I can't do another orange theory I will do my own interval training at home.

Goal 2: Follow my nutritionist orders 80% minimum.  If I only have white rice instead of brown then so be it, if I hate plain greek yogurt and get the kind with less sugar I am ok with that.  I need to make this work for me (and it has for the past 2 weeks quite well), so I am finding the happy middle where I can follow this the majority of the time but still not go crazy.  I also must have fish oil daily.

Goal 3: Feel pretty damnit! (aka look like a damn lady at least 3 days a week) I have some serious body issues/ self confidence problems, so much so that while I put videos up I am too embarrassed to put current photos up.  And while I know putting on a bit of makeup or taking the time to look put together is not something I do in the mornings it does help my self esteem so it needs to actually be a priority.  I will also be starting up my Instagram to follow my progress, and training awesomeness and need to post something at least once a week (I am Harshtart if you want to follow).

No awesome gifs but I can give you a photo of the new stray kitten that has found our home.  We have had him for about a month now, and while we never really found a name he is known as Secret Agent D.O.G.. don't ask me why, it just kind of happened.

SecretAgentKitten.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I love make-up.  It's like self esteem in a bottle.  Second only to lifting.

Your tire flip was outstanding - I'm glad that you posted it!  (they were all cool - you are phenomenal!)

Following - obvi. 

I never figured out makeup. I always feel clownish. Or raccoonish.

Yesterdays Weight Training:

Back row pause drop sets - Heavy to light 

Ab wheel 4 x 10

Medicine ball squat to overhead press drop sets

2 sets of 50lbs x 10 and 25lbs x 15
1 set of 50lbs x 12 and 25lbs x 20

I am still feeling the effects from Sunday's 90 min orange theory class so my calves are still sore so I will be rolling out my back and legs tonight.

• Like 1

I stopped wearing makeup 12 years ago and I really want to starting wearing it again because I'm starting to look 30+ yrs old and TIRED. But I have no idea how to put it on properly so I have that fear of looking ridiculous. Maybe we can try together? It sounds like you have a leg-up on me in this regard. I've been told I should just start with mascara and that alone will improve my wakefullness look. If I do that I also need start using eye allergy drops because I rub my eyes too much. Sorry for the TL;DR! 

Your tire flip was amazing and you should be proud for following through because you could have give up part way through!

I feel you on still feeling sore. Thank you for reminding me that I really need to get back into foam rolling. 

P.S. I also dislike plain greek yogurt, so I buy just the vanilla greek yogurt. It has far less sugar than the fruit flavors and is to me a happy compromise to plain greek. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I stopped wearing makeup 12 years ago and I really want to starting wearing it again because I'm starting to look 30+ yrs old and TIRED. But I have no idea how to put it on properly so I have that fear of looking ridiculous. Maybe we can try together? It sounds like you have a leg-up on me in this regard. I've been told I should just start with mascara and that alone will improve my wakefullness look. If I do that i also need start using eye allergy drops because I rub my eyes to much. Sorry for the TL;DR! 

It really takes less effort than you think :) Basic foundation, mascara and lip gloss (or lipstick or stain or whatever) at a minimum makes a huge difference and only takes a few minutes.

• Like 2

I stopped wearing makeup 12 years ago and I really want to starting wearing it again because I'm starting to look 30+ yrs old and TIRED. But I have no idea how to put it on properly so I have that fear of looking ridiculous. Maybe we can try together? It sounds like you have a leg-up on me in this regard. I've been told I should just start with mascara and that alone will improve my wakefullness look. If I do that I also need start using eye allergy drops because I rub my eyes too much. Sorry for the TL;DR!

I'm not going too fancy, like Marissa said a few simple things can go a long way. I'm starting with eyeliner, bb cream, brow pencil, light lip gloss, and eyeshadow only if I'm feeling fancy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It was something I could do fairly well, I just never had the drive to take more time getting ready and thought I looked "good enough" for the world without it, lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grizzy said:

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

It really takes less effort than you think :) Basic foundation, mascara and lip gloss (or lipstick or stain or whatever) at a minimum makes a huge difference and only takes a few minutes.

miss-marissa is correct, although I don't use lip gloss.  I didn't wear make-up regularly until my 30s, and it makes a HUGE difference.  The lessons that I learned are in the spoiler:

1. Clinique Almost Powder Foundation - not a messy liquid, not a chalky powder.  Worth the money.  I go through one every 4 months or so - and I use it every single day.  It takes less than a minute to put on.  I put it on my eyelids, too, all the way up to the brow - keeps eye make-up from creasing.  
  2. Almay has a line of products that takes away the guess work about colors - pick the line for your eye color, purchase the liner, shadow, and mascara. Done. 
  3. I line the upper lid always, the lower lid when feeling frisky.  I can't control a liquid liner, so I use pencil - smudge it into the lash line to avoid the raccoon look. 
  4. I learned shadow from the back of the Almay shadow box.  Followed the directions exactly.   I eventually moved on to brushes, but used the q-tip things that come with the shadow for years before learning that brushes are easier.  Really the only key is to use a light hand and lightly brush over everything with the lightest color when finished - this takes care of any inconsistencies. 
  5. I end with mascara and chapstick (no gloss, lipstick, or blush for me). 
  6. The whole thing takes 5 minutes on work days, 10 minutes for extra-fancy dressy days.
  7. I used the Almay stuff exclusively for years.  I have now "graduated" to putting my own colors together, and prefer clinique and mac, but Almay is a really great way to start. 

I basically put my eye make-up on like this (although I am a lady, not a guy - this is how quickly it can be done, and I do it almost movement for movement this way). 

you tube has TONS of tutorials, but most of them that say "beginner" use like ten brushes and 15 products.  This is the closest to what I do.  :-)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Grizzy said:

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

miss-marissa is correct, although I don't use lip gloss.  I didn't wear make-up regularly until my 30s, and it makes a HUGE difference.  The lessons that I learned are in the spoiler:

1. Clinique Almost Powder Foundation - not a messy liquid, not a chalky powder.  Worth the money.  I go through one every 4 months or so - and I use it every single day.  It takes less than a minute to put on.  I put it on my eyelids, too, all the way up to the brow - keeps eye make-up from creasing.  
  2. Almay has a line of products that takes away the guess work about colors - pick the line for your eye color, purchase the liner, shadow, and mascara. Done. 
  3. I line the upper lid always, the lower lid when feeling frisky.  I can't control a liquid liner, so I use pencil - smudge it into the lash line to avoid the raccoon look. 
  4. I learned shadow from the back of the Almay shadow box.  Followed the directions exactly.   I eventually moved on to brushes, but used the q-tip things that come with the shadow for years before learning that brushes are easier.  Really the only key is to use a light hand and lightly brush over everything with the lightest color when finished - this takes care of any inconsistencies. 
  6. The whole thing takes 5 minutes on work days, 10 minutes for extra-fancy dressy days.
  7. I used the Almay stuff exclusively for years.  I have now "graduated" to putting my own colors together, and prefer clinique and mac, but Almay is a really great way to start. 

I basically put my eye make-up on like this (although I am a lady, not a guy - this is how quickly it can be done, and I do it almost movement for movement this way). 

you tube has TONS of tutorials, but most of them that say "beginner" use like ten brushes and 15 products.  This is the closest to what I do.  :-)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Reveal hidden contents

whenever I put on foundation it looks funny. Which is annoying, because I currently have this ENORMOUS zit I would like to cover up.

47 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

whenever I put on foundation it looks funny. Which is annoying, because I currently have this ENORMOUS zit I would like to cover up.

Foundation or concealer?

What do you mean looks funny? What type are you using? (liquid, powder or cream?) What application tools do you use?

Just now, miss_marissa said:

Foundation or concealer?

What do you mean looks funny? What type are you using? (liquid, powder or cream?) What application tools do you use?

I've tried liquid and powder. When I use liquid I've applied with my fingers or a spongy thing, and it always looks streaky. With powder, I've used a brush or the little pad that sometimes comes with it, and it either looks streaky or I can see the grains of powder and I think it looks weird. In addition, I'm stupidly pale and most of the lightest shades companies offer always seem too dark or off in tone.

That's why I like the clinique product - it's not really a liquid or cream; it's kind of like a moist powder. 

When I used a liquid for about a year, I put it on with a really soft foundation brush.  I truly felt like I was painting my face, though! ;-)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

I've tried liquid and powder. When I use liquid I've applied with my fingers or a spongy thing, and it always looks streaky. With powder, I've used a brush or the little pad that sometimes comes with it, and it either looks streaky or I can see the grains of powder and I think it looks weird. In addition, I'm stupidly pale and most of the lightest shades companies offer always seem too dark or off in tone.

For the powder at least it helps if you finish with a downward stroke so all the little hairs on your face don't stand up. Apply in small circles with your brush and then at the end go all over in a downward stroke.

• Like 2

So they started posting the events that will be at the competition.  The first two events have been posted and are  Axle Overhead Press (Maximum Reps in 60 seconds), and the Keg Toss over bar (4 ascending weight half kegs).  I start training for these two this week, well more like today :D 

14 hours ago, NatetheStrong said:

For what it's worth (not much, I know), being able to flip a 500+ lbs tire makes anybody awesome in almost every way, makeup or no makeup. :)    That was fantastic.

14 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Epic strongwoman!!! Epic epic and epic.

Thanks!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TiffanyD said:

So they started posting the events that will be at the competition.  The first two events have been posted and are  Axle Overhead Press (Maximum Reps in 60 seconds), and the Keg Toss over bar (4 ascending weight half kegs).  I start training for these two this week, well more like today :D 

I'm excited for you! BOOM. 

• Like 1

The site registration went live for the strongman competition day before yesterday so I am now registered to compete. 
Competition site - http://www.tampabaystrongmanclassic.com/

Yesterday I worked on both events for training.

The axle press is a pain in the ass because you have to lift it over/under girp and sit it on your belt (which pinches the shit out of your stomach) to reset your hands and then lift it up and press. I got the form down, just need to work on my upper body strength with it.

I did the full clean and press for these each set.

1 sets of 3 at 45 lbs
1 set of 3 at 90 lbs
1 set of 3 at 105 lbs
4 sets of 2 at 115 lbs

They didn't have the keg ready for me to work with so we started with medicine balls last night.

35 lb ball and I hit the bar 3 times out of 20+ tries. A lot of my difficulty was not being able to keep a good grip, but 35 actually felt heavier than I thought it would. I actually get to work with the keg on Friday so ill see how that goes.

• Like 1

I have zero frame of reference for this, but i feel like a keg would be easier to hold onto then a 35# medicine ball? How heavy will the keg be? 

I have zero frame of reference for this, but i feel like a keg would be easier to hold onto then a 35# medicine ball? How heavy will the keg be? 

The keg will be easier to hold onto because it has handles, not sure on weight yet but my trainer aims for something that takes effort for me and then we slowly move up from there.

7/15

Kettlebell swing rows

35lbs x 10 
35lbs x 12
35lbs x 15

53lbs x 10
53lbs x 15
53lbs x 20
53lbs x 20
53lbs x 20

A bit repetitive but a good workout none the less.

So my tenant decided to tell me today she is dropping out of her lease in two weeks... now I get to try to sell my house by Aug 16th, ugh.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 5:28 PM, NatetheStrong said:

For what it's worth (not much, I know), being able to flip a 500+ lbs tire makes anybody awesome in almost every way, makeup or no makeup. :)    That was fantastic.

this is true.

• Like 1