Fiddle starts back up

fiddle-on

Well, I was all set to go with continuing to build on last challenge, then Sunday happened. Short version, I was diagnosed with a cyst that burst and let a lot of blood into my abdomen. Long term, nothing to be concerned about. Short term, I’m not working out at all this week, and next week is very questionable.

So I’m making a zero week recovery challenge, and I’ll wait and see if I need to extend it into week 1, or if I can start my main challenge next week.

Goals:

Recover and don’t make things worse.

1. Diet:

On Sunday, I ate perhaps 100 calories all day. Today (Monday), I’ve had more like 800-1000, but my digestive system isn’t thrilled with me. The goal for this week is to eat healthy foods without being overly concerned about calories until my appetite returns to normal. Once I can happily eat 2000 calories in a day, it’s time to go back to trying to lose weight.

How:

• Track everything I eat.

• Eat at least 2-3 fruits and veggies per day (normal is 2-3 per meal in the summer)

• Limit refined sugars to ~ 50 grams per day (this is proportionally higher than normal because they are easy on the digestive system).

2) Exercise:

I need to take it easy this week, and not overdo it for the next couple of weeks. Right now, that's easy because it hurts to walk. I'm hoping that goes away soon.

• Track steps walked.

• No running or weights until next weekend at earliest.

• Pay attention to how I feel, and rebuild slowly as I get better.

That’s it. I’ll be spending a lot of time resting and recovering. At this point, I’m not making any goals beyond recovery until I start feeling better.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Sorry to hear about your health issues!  Sounds like you have the right idea going forward.  Best of luck with you're recovery - i hope you're back to normal soon!

• Like 1

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12

Update:

Diet:

Tuesday I probably ate more than I should have (1600 calories), because my stomach was kind of upset by the end of the day. Rice went down well, well cooked veggies were OK, meat disagreed. I'm thinking that this week, overcooked mush is the way to go (yum!).  This morning I had half a drumstick without much trouble, plus I went grocery shopping to buy more easy-to-digest foods so I don't need to try more chicken for a couple days. I made a single circuit around the store, no backtracking or anything, but I was still hurting by the end.

Exercise:

- I got about 2000 steps yesterday, and pushed myself walking to a takeaway place a few hundred feet down the street. Had to stop every 20 ft on the way back, but at least that means improvement should be easy. I went in to work (desk job) for about 2 hours, then went home and napped.

-This morning I started with a 10 minute, very slow and gentle version of my usual kettlebell class warmup. It didn't hurt much, although I didn't try doing a second round. I'm going to try for at least 2000 steps again today, and a few stretches for my back this evening because all this sitting and lying down is making it hurt.

Other:

I wrote down a few cartoon ideas, and sketched 2 of them. I think that for the main challenge, I'm going to include coming up with a few ideas each day, and drawing at least one idea.

I'm trying not to get too down over all this, but it's hard. I had been looking forward to meeting a new running club on Monday, a pre-concert choral rehearsal on Tuesday, and just generally living my life as normal.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

7 minutes ago, fiddle-on said:

I'm trying not to get too down over all this, but it's hard. I had been looking forward to meeting a new running club on Monday, a pre-concert choral rehearsal on Tuesday, and just generally living my life as normal.

I hope everything gets better and I think they will. Take things one step at a time, literally, and as each day passes you'll get stronger. We'll do everything we can to distract you and help keep you positive in the mean time :) 

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:44 AM, Wild Wolf said:

I hope everything gets better and I think they will. Take things one step at a time, literally, and as each day passes you'll get stronger. We'll do everything we can to distract you and help keep you positive in the mean time :) 

Wolf

Thanks! I'm always up for distractions, and as I've been counting daily steps, I can tell you I went from a few hundred on Monday to 2000 on Tuesday, to 3000 on Wednesday. So I'm apparently taking it 1000 steps at a time :P .

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Feeling considerably better today. I didn't take pain medication until I'd been up a couple of hours, and even then, I took a reduced dose. I did a slow version of my usual warm up with a few things omitted, but I feel like I was able to actually exercise a bit. I'm going to see if I can get up to 5000 steps today. Although since I'm also trying to work 6 hours, I might not have the energy to do both.

My stomach was not upset this morning, so I had most of a normal sized breakfast, followed by a large snack a few hours later. The snack should probably have been smaller, because that did disagree a bit.

But this is the first day I'm feeling almost normal, just very low energy. It makes me hope that I actually will be able to do my planned challenge starting next week, even if I have to scale the workouts down a bit.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Just now, fiddle-on said:

Thanks! I'm always up for distractions, and as I've been counting daily steps, I can tell you I went from a few hundred on Monday to 2000 on Tuesday, to 3000 on Wednesday. So I'm apparently taking it 1000 steps at a time :P .

Heck yeah! That's a swanky way to progress through the week, Fiddle :) I'm excited for you! Here's a gif that was placed in my thread last challenge...or was it the one before, by the infamous @mr_willes. It is completely and utterly distracting...and mesmerizing haha. Enjoy ;)

xZ09DsE.gif

and add one more for good measure...

magnetic-putty-eating-metal.gif

Wolf

• Like 3

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Man, you had to do that

Just now, Wild Wolf said:

Heck yeah! That's a swanky way to progress through the week, Fiddle :) I'm excited for you! Here's a gif that was placed in my thread last challenge...or was it the one before, by the infamous @mr_willes. It is completely and utterly distracting...and mesmerizing haha. Enjoy ;)

Wolf

Man, you had to do that while I'm at work. I could stare at those for a very, very long time.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Oh, no sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you are recovering, even if it is slow.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Be mindful of your recovery and return to full speed only when your body is ready for it.  Wishing you a speedy recuperation!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Oh, no sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you are recovering, even if it is slow.

17 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Be mindful of your recovery and return to full speed only when your body is ready for it.  Wishing you a speedy recuperation!

Thanks! I feel  like I'm past the worst now.

I've got a doctor's visit today, but yesterday I walked almost 6000 steps,  ate 2500 healthy calories, and still woke up hungry this morning.  I may not need the pain meds at all today (fingers crossed). I'm going to aim for about 2000-2200 calories today through the weekend. Normally, that would be more than I need when I'm inactive, but I figure healing is probably using as much energy as exercising, and I've already lost 4 pounds this week. 

• Like 5

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

20 hours ago, fiddle-on said:

Man, you had to do that while I'm at work. I could stare at those for a very, very long time.

HAHA, its disturbing how entertaining that is..

1 hour ago, fiddle-on said:

I've got a doctor's visit today, but yesterday I walked almost 6000 steps,  ate 2500 healthy calories, and still woke up hungry this morning.  I may not need the pain meds at all today (fingers crossed)

Good luck at the docs! And way to increase your steps Fiddle :) I pray you don't need the pain meds today and this its a fantastic Friday for you!

Wolf

• Like 1

Spoiler

8 hours ago, fiddle-on said:

Normally, that would be more than I need when I'm inactive, but I figure healing is probably using as much energy as exercising, and I've already lost 4 pounds this week. 

Think of any healer class in a video game; no matter what resource they use to cast their healing spells, it still costs them energy to perform those abilities.

Same principle, I gather.  ;)

• Like 2

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

On 7/15/2016 at 4:03 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Think of any healer class in a video game; no matter what resource they use to cast their healing spells, it still costs them energy to perform those abilities.

Same principle, I gather.  ;)

Yeah, when my brother was in a motorcycle accident, he lost about 10 pounds because he thought he should eat less when he wasn't working out. My weight's been staying constant with me eating 1500-1700 calories, other than those 4 pounds in the first few days when I didn't want to eat anything (and when the lovely people at the hospital insisted on no food in case I needed surgery).

On Friday the doctor said I'm healing well, and don't need to see her again for a few months. She said that if exercising doesn't hurt, I can do it. That's about what I expected, but still good to hear. I didn't make 8,000 steps until Saturday, but since I got a full day in at work on Friday, I'm OK with that.

Saturday I had close to 9000 steps. Today I'm aiming for about the same, but I started out the day with hitting some tennis balls off (and over) the backboard at the high school, so that was more exertion than I've been getting. Went pretty well. I'm really bad and out of practice, but I had no problem with stepping quickly. Straight up running is painful. I took breaks every 15 minutes, but I still spent 50 minutes at the court, and by the end, I was able to return several volleys in a row. I had been wondering how to balance my desire to do more tennis and my desire to run more, but it looks like I don't need to worry about that for a while.

I'm going to try for 2 kettlebell classes this week. I've e-mailed with the coach, and I'll e-mail again tomorrow. I'll be doing 2 small classes, since I missed last week's and those are much more individualized than the large classes.

For painkillers, I'm just using a normal dose of ibuprofen rather than prescription strength anything, and I'm only using them a couple times a day. I feel like I keep getting more energy each day. I think I'm going to post a version of my regularly scheduled challenge, modified to remove the running from the first few weeks.

Thanks for all the support you've been giving me here!

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

You seem to have a very solid Plan of Attack to handling the situation.  Much wise!  Such fiddle!

• Like 1

I overdid it yesterday, was in too much pain by nighttime . I still hurt a little more this morning. Today I'm going to stick to walking and stretches and easy bodyweight or very light dumbbell movements, and reassess tomorrow.

I was thinking about doing a kettlebell class on Wednesday, but after yesterday, I think I'll wait until next Saturday. Both more time to heal, and if I do push a bit too much, I won't have to go in to work.

My choral group had our first summer concert. It's the first year we've done a summer acapella group, so we're not much good yet. With six rehearsals behind us, the women's group had two songs and the men's group had two songs. We were singing at a tiny stage among the retail stores at Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots play.  I've sung almost at Gillette Stadium!

Since our audience was whatever shoppers were wandering through, we performed three times. The first was really bad, but the second and third were decent. The second time the audience included a group of service dogs in training, which was very cute. The third time was on the back of the second. That left us with probably 20 people still listening, so if you didn't know they were all friends and relatives, you'd think we still had a good sized audience.

Then we went for drinks. I had unsweetened iced tea (I added 1 packet of sugar) and split a giant plate of loaded nachos with about 4 other people. I estimated I ate about a quarter or less, and at least a third of the plate was left over. Since I struggle with eating and grazing in that kind of large group, I'm very happy with that result, and adjusted my dinner accordingly.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Week zero was a recover and recuperate week after ending up in the hospital on Sunday. I'm not at 100%, but I'm close enough that I'm going to add to last week's challenge of "don't over-eat or over-exert".

New goal: Get back to where I was. This is largely beyond my control. I need time to heal, and all I can do to accelerate that is sleep enough and eat healthy. So my goals are focused on losing as little as possible until I can start gaining again.

Weight loss:

Goal:
I lost weight quickly while I've been recovering from being sick? injured? Not sure what to call it when your body just starts bleeding internally. But I had a mildly upset stomach for the start of week zero, and I was more concerned with getting at least 1000 reasonably healthy calories a day than intentional weight loss.

Now that I've got my appetite back, I want to continue losing weight, but slower and more sustainably. I've been eating about 1500-1600 calories per day and maintaining while being mostly sedentary the past 3 or 4 days.

How:
1) Track everything. I've never managed to lose weight without tracking.
2) Limit my calories. I want to eat 1300-1500 calories while I'm mostly sedentary. At 1600, I'll probably just be maintaining my current weight. As I get more active, I'll up it to 1500-1800 plus extra for very active days (how I was loosing weight before all this happened).

Physical:

Goal:
Before getting hurt, I was planning to continue doing kettlebell work and start training to run a 5K, and maybe throw in some tennis playing. That's not going to happen early in the challenge, and I've got no idea if it'll happen later. So my goal is to maintain as much as possible, and build where I can.

I've been doing 2 kettlebell classes per week since February, and I hate that I had to miss basically 2 weeks (at least). I'm going to try doing one next Saturday and see how it goes. It's a small group personal training class, so I'll let the coach know where I stand. Instead of running, I want to keep upping the steps I'm doing. I can walk at a normal pace for 10-15 minutes before I need a break, and I can go for 30 or 40 minutes if I'm taking breaks. I'd like to be back to 12,000+ steps per day as soon as possible (currently at 8000-9000, but that's really pushing it) And finally, I'd like to lose as little strength as possible, but lots of weight or exertion just isn't possible right now. I'll  be doing easy strength and stretching exercises. What hurts is fast or jouncing movement, like runs or just taking heavy steps while walking. So I can do some slow lifts with light weights, the kind of stuff I'd normally do for a warmup, plus  a lot of stretches and exercises focused on my back, which has been hurting due to all the sitting and lying down.

How

1) Go to 1-2 kettlebell classes per week.
2) Walk more today than yesterday, unless it hurts. I use a pedometer for this.
3) Spend 20-30 minutes per day doing easy strength and stretch movements.
4) Add time, weight, and effort as I heal.

Housekeeping:

Goal:
 My apartment has improved a lot since I started adding cleaning to my challenges. I still can't have people over without warning, but I'm at a point where 30 minutes warning is enough to invite people I'm close to over, who know that I have a problem keeping things neat. By the end of this challenge, I'd like to get it to where I can invite anyone over with 30 minutes warning.

How to achieve it:
 - Each day, pick a part of my apartment, and make it neat. This could be a couple of shelves, my kitchen counter, or whatever. But I'd love it if I could have a neat apartment by the end of the challenge. Spend at least 15 minutes on this per day.
 - Get rid of unused stuff. I've got very limited storage, and a tendency to be a pack rat. If I can't figure out where to put something, and I don't know exactly why I'm keeping it, it needs to go.
 - Buy a smaller living room set. I saw some decent looking, small outdoor furniture that would look good, is comfortable, and is on a very good sale.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

And I think I'm going to do a sleep mini challenge this week.

I've been getting very tired around 9, then continuing to read "just a little bit more" for the next hour. Last week I could get away with it because I was basically working whatever hours I had energy for, then going home and sleeping. This week I want to work 40 hours, or as close as I can get, so I really need to sleep at night.

Goal: Go to bed between 9 and 10.

How:
- Put down all devices with screens by 9pm sharp, and turn on off-time app (to prevent unthinking usage of phone).
- Wash up and brush my teeth at 9pm or earlier, so I don't have to get up again later.
- When I'm tired, stop what I'm doing and sleep.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Sounds like you had an awesome start to week 0! Greta goals for your first week - it sounds like your recovery is really going well.  I've been thinking about getting into kettlebells; I wish my gym offered a class like yours does!  I have to look up some warm-up workouts, that sounds very useful.

Good luck with your sleep goal - I struggle with that too!  Will be following along to see how that works out for you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, athousandwords said:

Sounds like you had an awesome start to week 0! Greta goals for your first week - it sounds like your recovery is really going well.  I've been thinking about getting into kettlebells; I wish my gym offered a class like yours does!  I have to look up some warm-up workouts, that sounds very useful.

Good luck with your sleep goal - I struggle with that too!  Will be following along to see how that works out for you!

Thanks. Week 0 was miserable, which means it's easy to go up from there.

My gym is actually a small studio gym where it's nothing but classes, and they use kettlebells as weights instead of barbells or dumbbells. The two owners/coaches are fabulous and incredibly knowledgeable, and they've got a very friendly, supportive atmosphere in the classes. I found them when I decided that kettlebells sounded interesting and was looking for a personal trainer to get a few lessons from. I ended up with a year's membership here instead. It's expensive, but I look at it as an investment in my health. If you're in the Boston area, I'd be happy to refer you.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Over 10,000 steps yesterday! It was the first day that I actually felt better in the evening than I had in the morning.

I met all my regular goals. I was right around 1500 calories, got 10758 steps (goal was 9000+), did 20 minutes of light strength training, and cleaned up a corner of my workout area. My weights are now sitting neatly in rows and stacks on a piece of plywood rather than scattered around and my books are now actually on the shelf instead of in front of it. All shoes are back by the door.

Since the workout area is in my bedroom, today's cleaning goal is the other half of the workout area and under my bed. I think I'll try for the whole bedroom by the end of the week.

I did not hit the sleep goal. I did wash up by 9:15, but I didn't turn the light off until 10:30. And I woke up at 4:30, as usual. My goal is really getting about 7 or 7.5 hours sleep, but since I consistently wake up around sunrise, early bedtime is really the only solution this time of year.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Nice job with those steps and the clean up! I bet your bedroom is a lot less hazardous without the potential to stub your toe on a weight. ;)  Hope the second half of the room clean up went well, and you got some better sleep last night!

• Like 1

Yesterday I just barely passed 10,000 steps, and didn't beat Monday's 10700. Mostly because after work, I went to visit my parents, then went straight to choral practice. I did eat well. So I did well on the diet goal, passable on the exercise, and missed completely on the cleaning.

The thing about eating at my parents is that they eat reasonably healthy in the winter, but high carb because it's cheap and they got their spending habits 30 years ago when they were raising 3 kids on one salary. But in the summer they grow their own vegetables, so usually those take up about 2/3rds of the plate and you don't get nasty looks for taking seconds of the expensive stuff, ie non-carbs. I love fresh veggies, and can easily eat two or three cups when they've been steamed, tossed with a little butter and lightly salted. Lots of broccoli and summer squash yesterday.

Oh, and the sleep goal was out the window because I don't get home from chorus until 9:30. I still went to bed by 10:30, though, so that's not too bad.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

My cleaning goal today is to clear up the area next to my bed.

I also need to go grocery shopping. I'm completely out of fruit, and ended up buying a banana at the cafeteria at work for $1 instead of $0.20 at the grocery store. And they had banana chocolate chip muffins, which are my favorite and a major reason I avoid the cafe before lunch. I bought one. I ate a bit of it, logged the whole thing, and stuck it in a cabinet. If I don't eat it, I'll just take it out of the log.

I worked out 20 minutes this morning with weights only a little lighter than I was doing before getting hurt. I'm going to see how I feel later, and if I feel good, I'll repeat it tomorrow. I also want to try hitting a tennis ball this evening if I'm feeling good.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: