Gets Spirited Away

Kestrel Grey

This challenge is a real-life version of the Hayao Miyazaki film, Spirited Away.

Image result for spirited away

In the movie there are a series of challenges that the main character Chihiro has to overcome, in order to prove herself and free her family from the spirit world.  I will be representing each challenge as best I can in this world.  In order to win the game and complete the movie, all obstacles will have to be overcome.

First Obstacle: Escape being turned into a pig

Chihiro's parents eat food that is not meant for them, and get turned into pigs as punishment.  To clear this challenge I will not eat any food that is not meant for me for 5 days a week. This means no refined sugars, no processed food, and no bad carbs.

Second Obstacle: Prove your strength and grit

Chiriro proves her toughness carrying coal. To clear this obstacle I will strength train at least 3 times a week. Building on what I learned on the last challenge, I will go every 2nd day so that I will not be as likely to miss my minimum when I lose a day to illness.

Third Obstacle: I need a job please!

Image result for spirited away job

Chihiro convinces the old Witch in the spirit world to hire her, so that she can remain human and have a chance to free her parents.  I actually have a job, but this challenge is about staying relevant at it.  I will need to complete one competency item a week and study one outside article or presentation a week, in order to clear this obstacle.

Fourth Obstacle: Purify the River God

Chihiro has to clean a stink spirit and ends up purifying a river god, bringing good fortune.  To clear this obstacle I will need to clean all surfaces (and the sink!) before going to sleep, every day.

Fifth Obstacle: Defeat Avarice with Kindness

A reoccurring theme, Chihiro overcomes other spirits' gluttony and greed with friendship.  To defeat the avarice obstacle, I will only make pre-planned purchases and buy only what is on my grocery list every week. I used Mint.com to find out my average weekly food spending, so at the end of the four weeks I will tally the difference and donate the total to the local food bank.

Sixth Obstacle: Earn Back Your Name

Chihiro loses her name to the old Witch, and has to earn it back to be free of the spirit world. Chihiro means 1000 fathoms, or 1000 awakenings. To overcome this obstacle I will have to spend 1000 minutes on yoga, meditation and stretching.

This is my first attempt at a six-part challenge, but I am up to it! Miyazaki is one of my all-time favorite creators, so I am super excited to get started acting out this film in the real world.

• Like 6

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Awesome challenge!!! I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli. This was one of my favorites next to Princess Mononoke. I thought you might find this interesting as I did when I read through-it's an article on Spirited Away.

Also..

tumblr_nk72qjbpU21tj0a58o1_500.gif

Haku was awesome! He looked sorta like a wolf which always makes me happy :)

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Really cool challenge!  Now I want to watch Spirited Away again!  Best of luck with yoru challenge - I really love your idea about donating leftover food budget to a local food bank.  Kindness at work!

• Like 1

Level 13 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 12 | 13 | 13.5

2022 CHALLENGES: 14 | 15

6 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Awesome challenge!!! I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli. This was one of my favorites next to Princess Mononoke. I thought you might find this interesting as I did when I read through-it's an article on Spirited Away.

Also..

tumblr_nk72qjbpU21tj0a58o1_500.gif

Haku was awesome! He looked sorta like a wolf which always makes me happy :)

Wolf

Interesting article, if I'm ever in Taiwan I'll have to go to the tea house area.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

5 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Really cool challenge!  Now I want to watch Spirited Away again!  Best of luck with yoru challenge - I really love your idea about donating leftover food budget to a local food bank.  Kindness at work!

This is my favorite challenge too. It will be extra motivation to follow through since I know I get to tangibly help others by completing the challenge.

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Great challenge. I'm going to have to look into Studio Ghibli at some point.

You should! 

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Thanks goodness for zero week. I just realised the Fourth Obstacle (purify the river god) needs adjusting. Delboy sleeps by the kitchen, and on nights when I get home at midnight he would NOT be happy to have me banging about cleaning. 

If you don't want to lose a chunk of ear, you keep Delboy happy.

― Neil Gaiman

Not familiar with the source of your theme at all, though I've seen it around the Googlespace, but I'm following along regardless!  :)

• Like 1

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Hey there Charlotte! Crewmates last time, party members this time! I love how you converted the movie to fit your challenge. Gotta admit, I only made it half-way into the film before I was totally confused by the surreality and symbolism. Then I read about how it's supposed to be an allegory about prostitution and couldn't really bring myself to watch it again *shrug*

Hey there! Party member reporting in :D 

Got to admit, I've never seen Spirited Away, but it's on my list, and: 

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Then I read about how it's supposed to be an allegory about prostitution

That really doesn't dent my enthusiasm about it, truth be told!

Looking forward to seeing how everything plays out for you :) 

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Hey there Charlotte! Crewmates last time, party members this time! I love how you converted the movie to fit your challenge. Gotta admit, I only made it half-way into the film before I was totally confused by the surreality and symbolism. Then I read about how it's supposed to be an allegory about prostitution and couldn't really bring myself to watch it again *shrug*

Hi party member! For the Horde!

Don't believe that interpretation, someone out there has a twisted mind. Hayao Miyazaki wrote the whole thing, and he always has themes about nature vs technology and kindness vs violence/close-mindedness. He said this film is based on watching his daughter and her friends. I just take it at face value.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

The past few days have been quite decent. Maybe I am not that crazy for taking on six obstacles. Breakfasts are finally figured out. I still don't care much for eggs, but smoked salmon with green onion on cucumber makes a great start to the day.

Image result for smoked salmon cucumber

None of my workouts, stretching or cleaning will count until next Monday but I am energised by my dry run.  I even rangered a workout today on my lunch break out of crates and water jugs.

13 hours ago, Mizbrek said:

I really need to see this movie, but love the theme!

LOK'TAR OGAR

Thanks! I recommend Miyazaki's films to anyone.

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

The first day of the challenge has passed, and I made it, barely.

giphy.gif

Hunger drove me to the vending machines around 9 pm. After staring at the crappy choices I decided I didn't need junk that badly, which saved me from failing on my nutrition obstacle and from losing the money for the food bank.  I managed to clean all the surfaces and shine the sink before work, and I organised the list of things I need to renew my job competency.

Earn Back My Name - running total 36

Meditation: 10 min

Stretching: 14 min

I'll spend another 12 minutes foam rolling before sleep to bring my total to 36.

Tomorrow will be tougher. It is a shopping day, so I am spending the morning making sure I pack enough snacks and that everything I need is on my list. No last minutes additions allowed.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I was about to ask if you pondered why you ended up at the vending machines and how that can be avoided in the future, but then I read this

You've got this

Yeah, I didn't bring enough food for sure. Thanks :)

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Forgot to check in with you last night, had bad brain fog after my run! Did you manage to get outside?

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Forgot to check in with you last night, had bad brain fog after my run! Did you manage to get outside?

Yes! I can't feel that is was a great victory though. The weather was georgeous.

I've been sticking with all my challenges, but only enough to technically say I did. There is too much on my plate to really put my heart into it. 

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

3 hours ago, Cascade said:

I've been sticking with all my challenges, but only enough to technically say I did. There is too much on my plate to really put my heart into it. 

Just keep at it. The only way to lose is not to play. A little effort is infinitely better than no effort. You are amazing for sticking with your goals while under attack from Darth Real Life. DO. NOT. QUIT.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

What Tank said. And don't belittle your run just because the weather was nice. You still went out and did what you set out to do. Well done! 

EDIT: I would have totally flaked on my run yesterday and the main reason I didn't was because of our deal. So thank you!

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

4 hours ago, Cascade said:

But think of the alternative - just giving up. A month from now or a year from now it won't matter that you didn't continue your streaks whole-heartedly, it'll matter that you showed up and got it done, even if it was "just technically".

My favorite phrase in these situations is "Fake it 'til you make it" - if you go through the motions long enough, you'll realize you're doing exactly what you intended to do anyway.

• Like 1

Level 13 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 12 | 13 | 13.5

2022 CHALLENGES: 14 | 15

Week One update, several days late. :) 

First Obstacle: I managed to eat clean only four of the seven days last week. My mother was visiting for a few days and I fell to temptation after feeding her forbidden foods all weekend.  However, I did manage to eat somewhat healthy even on those days.  I think I have managed to make veggies etc. my new normal.

Second Obstacle: Accomplished for week one. I am reading Starting Strength, so I am excited to go to the gym each workout and work on my form.

Third Obstacle: I kinda half-assed my way through this one, but accomplished.

Fourth Obstacle: My husband has been the hero here. After teasing me about creating an even bigger mess so that it would be a 'real challenge', he has been tidying up for me any day where I am late getting home.

Fifth Obstacle: I followed this to the letter, and the results for week one are frustrating.  I am actually about $10 over my weekly grocery average.  That must be the price for buying fresh produce and meats instead of cheap pasta and cereals.  Hopefully it balances out by the end of week four. I'll be very sad if, after all this, I have nothing to give to my food bank.

Sixth Obstacle: A poor showing last week. I logged just 72 minutes out of the 1000. I am really going to have to buckle down these next three weeks.

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman