Be strong, get strong battle log

THURSDAY, 4 JANUARY

1 hour aerial hoop - some backward spins into hip holds, lots of climbing up the hoop on both sides to give the shoulders a good workout, a repeat of tuesday’s routine of high amazon into wine glass into straddle in the hoop into cradle.

1 hour aerial yoga - another session of just stretching really, but definitely welcomed.  We did do the coffin pose, and I managed it with my hands off for the first time (my neck, being so stiff, is not crazy for this move).

FRIDAY, 5 JANUARY

121 pole session

So as mentioned I got told I can move up class levels now.  I need to alternate beginners and intermediate classes for a while so as not to get overwhelmed.  We also had a chat about how I hate spins and how I can to some extent choose to play to my strengths and not worry too much about them not being as on point.  I’m going to do a practice session or two working on them to get a bit more comfortable but it’s nice that the end goal doesn’t have to be to be polished at something that feels a bit alien.  So we did step arounds into reverse attitude, log rolls into a kind of twist up towards the pole, leg cartwheels into stand.  Then more of the fun stuff: inverts!  Some regular then some going into a straddle then some bringing the bottom hand down onto the pole, bringing the head into line with it and then taking one leg off the pole.  I can’t remember what the last one is called but it felt really good for my body to be in it - generally I quite like being upside down.  Oh and also we did some scissor planks - these were the best I’ve ever done them and I swear it’s because I finally bought some pole shorts and therefore actually had skin exposed to grip.  I feel super self conscious still but it was only two of us so not too bad.  Other parts of me are super grippy - we had to abandon sliding down the pole out of the invert as I stuck too much under the arm/lasts (I did a pull and a tuck out of them instead).  All in all really good fun.  If anyone is interested and photos go up on IG (I don’t have any myself), I can PM a link.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

That’s the phrase I was going for!  So excited I can’t form sentences anymore!

You're welcome. ;) I'd LOVE to see pics/videos!

2 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

We also had a chat about how I hate spins and how I can to some extent choose to play to my strengths and not worry too much about them not being as on point.

Completely agree. There are soooo many different things you can do on the pole, and sooo many styles, that it's impossible to be good at all of them anyway. Of course it's important to practice your weaknesses, like you're already doing, but there really isn't any point in beating yourself up over the things that are more of a struggle. Better to really enjoy the things that you're good at instead!

SATURDAY, 6 JANUARY

1 hour beginners pole class - various spins (blah), some climbing, a position where you’re standing on the pole then put one leg out straight in front of you and let go with the arms and lean back.  Amazing how grippy I’ve become now my shorts have got shorter!

MONDAY, 8 JANUARY

1st PT session in three weeks.  Surprisingly not too difficult.

Bodyweight jumping squats - 4 sets of 5, max speed.  I’m getting faster.

Back squats with chains!  For the first time.  The idea was there would be more weight at the time and next to no weight from them at the bottom but the floor wasn’t low enough so it didn’t quite work.  Hence weights had to be adjusted.

Working sets: 4,6,5,5 with 64 (chains weighed 7kg each - this is total weight), 54,56.5,59

Split squats with safety bar supersetted with TRX rows

Squats were 6,6,5,5 each side with 50,50,50,55kg

TRX rows were 6 reps each set.  I’m getting pretty close to being pretty much horizontal now - next step will be to raise the feet up.

Supinated lat pulldowns supersetted with glute/ham raises and back extensions, 4 sets, 6 reps.  All really strong and definite improvement. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

They didn’t get posted and she only put one on FB, but I managed to get YT to like me again and made a (really poor quality) video slideshow of the three recent pole photos I’ve got of me!  https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Kd_jnAtUS3Q

Awesome! I'm super impressed that you're doing butterflies! For some reason it took me a while to find the balance on those (though I somehow skipped the progression with the chest against the pole)

48 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

Amazing how grippy I’ve become now my shorts have got shorter!

Told ya this would happen. :P 

51 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Awesome! I'm super impressed that you're doing butterflies! For some reason it took me a while to find the balance on those (though I somehow skipped the progression with the chest against the pole)

First time!  Apparently my body likes these.  I didn’t try pushing away but generally I’m not too good yet at keeping a distance from the pole.

TUESDAY, 9 JANUARY

45 minutes stretchy class - a bit of supposed leg work which I felt didn’t do much, then some work on splits (ha ha ha - I am nowhere near)

1 hour hoop - We did front balances and hip holds again (ie I’d done these last week with the other teacher) but for some reason they hurt a lot (hadn’t before).  Then star in the bar into bird’s nest and I got stuck and freaked out.  My partner, who’s training to be a hoop teacher, rescued me.  All in all not the best of classes - to be fair my DOMS from Monday’s PT session was starting to set in, which didn’t help.  I also got home and felt as though I was starting a cold, so that may have accounted for some of the general feeling of weakness too.  Today I’m even sorer (cold’s not yet come to anything) so I’m taking a rest day.  I had wanted to do a spinny pole practice session or do my deadlift session but I need the recovery.  Need to cheer up though - bit grumpy.  I’m going to do a quick bit of cleaning as I haven’t been so the kitchen smells of dog.  Work is thankfully under control - holidays officially over tomorrow (I’ve been working, just been playing catch up - no new work) and it’ll be nice to get back into a routine.  I’m like my dog - depart from a routine and I get all out of sorts!

• Like 3

Rest day was good for me (I slept so well) but mentally I hate not doing anything.  

THURSDAY, 11 JANUARY

1 hour 121 - more pole!  Some spinny stuff that I can’t do, apart from reverse grab, which is the one spin I actually quite like.  Then some more exciting invert stuff: Gemini for the first time, which went quite well, though weirdly I prefer inverting with my right shoulder to the bar but when up in it I’m better on my other side.  It was only on that side that I could hold it securely.  On that side I then went into the half star, which felt pretty good.

1 hour hoop - more or less the same stuff as Tuesday, though the hoops were hung lower so as to be more accessible and less scary for some of the moves.  It took a while to figure out how to do the pullover with the hoop low but I eventually got it.  Then more hip hangs, which only served to give me more bruises to add to tuesday’s - I haven’t got the hoop placement right yet.  Then more bird’s nest but rather than go into it from star in the bar like on Tuesday, we had to go into it from hocks hang.  Which was much more accessible. 

Today is a work in the office day so nothing to be done though I may end up stretching this evening if, as I expect, my back ends up hurting from sitting still for the morning.  Tomorrow is my first intermediate pole class, followed immediately by a beginner’s pole class.  I’m supposed to be fitting in a deadlift session too this week but not sure how to - I seem to need lots of recovery at the moment.  I think I’ve taken big leaps forward recently in performance; perhaps this is why?  Would welcome any thoughts you guys have/ideas as to how to fix my weekly programme of activity!

• Like 1
On 1/8/2018 at 5:48 PM, LouCarJo said:

They didn’t get posted and she only put one on FB, but I managed to get YT to like me again and made a (really poor quality) video slideshow of the three recent pole photos I’ve got of me!  https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Kd_jnAtUS3Q

Nice! The studio looks also really cool!

16 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

Rest day was good for me (I slept so well) but mentally I hate not doing anything.

oh yes, this! especially when I have a bunch of stuff in my head that I want to try out, and the silks are just right there. But rest is part of training... I tell myself.

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

43 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

I seem to need lots of recovery at the moment.  I think I’ve taken big leaps forward recently in performance; perhaps this is why?

People with more experience of programming might be able to come up with solutions, but I just want to point out that you've been doing A LOT more volume of new stuff in the past few months, and you're progressing fast meaning heavier and heavier movements. How many hours are you training right now? It honestly might be too much to keep up without breaks, maybe you could try adding in a deload week every two months or something, as I figure you don't want to reduce the number of hours. :P 

I will however leave you with this (awful) article, which is probably not what you want to hear. ;) 

http://www.cirquephysio.com/everything-hurts-and-im-dying-how-much-soreness-is-too-much/

Also perhaps the first question to ask, are you eating and sleeping enough? Maybe you need to up your food and/or protein intake to match the increased activity level.

33 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I will however leave you with this (awful) article, which is probably not what you want to hear. ;) 

http://www.cirquephysio.com/everything-hurts-and-im-dying-how-much-soreness-is-too-much/

This is a great article, I follow her on Facebook and read it some time ago but it was good to read it again.

This bit in particular:

• Ok, sit down for this one…I’m serious, you’re not going to like it. EACH TRAINING DAY SHOULD HAVE ONE DAY OF REST BETWEEN to ensure proper recovery and adaptation to the stimulus and load!!
    1. Yeah, I said it. The “R” word. In this context, it doesn’t mean complete Netflix and chill bedrest status for 24 hours, it just means that if you’re working on an upper body skill, to give your upper body a break the next day. Yes, handstands count. Yes, contortion counts. Yes, vinyasa yoga counts. Yes, one day = 24 hours.

as a circus PT, at least 80% of the injuries I treat are from overuse

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

On 12/01/2018 at 9:02 AM, Mad Hatter said:

People with more experience of programming might be able to come up with solutions, but I just want to point out that you've been doing A LOT more volume of new stuff in the past few months, and you're progressing fast meaning heavier and heavier movements. How many hours are you training right now? It honestly might be too much to keep up without breaks, maybe you could try adding in a deload week every two months or something, as I figure you don't want to reduce the number of hours. :P 

Also perhaps the first question to ask, are you eating and sleeping enough? Maybe you need to up your food and/or protein intake to match the increased activity level.

You’re right - I’m now squatting weights in the warm up that a year ago (and probably more recently - would have to look back) I couldn’t lift at all.  And pole suddenly becomes a proper workout when I invert (rather than do spins badly).  I’m thinking I might have to give up hoop, or at least one of the weekly sessions (probably Thursdays even though that means I’m going for my less favourite teacher on Tuesdays, but that works better for my schedule), which would give me time to do the second weights session a week instead but still have W, F and Su off both weights and aerial and do weights 2/week, pole 1/week but double session so attend both intermediates followed by beginners, hoop 1/week, stretchy 2/week.  But I’m conflicted as aerial is also a social thing (important as I work from home most of the time), also if I pay a monthly membership I like to think I’m getting my money’s worth!  So rational decision making becomes hard.  Maybe next month once my current membership runs out I should think about concentrating on just pole for a month or so and do pay as you go, targeting sessions that will advance me towards a more targeted pole improvement goal.  I could for example get a three month package for 60% of what I pay now that would allow me 6 pole classs a month, 2 121s, and either 2 stretchy or 2 practice sessions a week.  That might actually work better in terms of both volume and cost, though the social benefit would be less.

• Like 1

MONDAY, 15 JANUARY

Personal training session

A. Jumping squats - 3 sets of 4

B. Chain squats - 4,4,4,3,3 with 59,64,64,66.5,67.5kg 

Again the chains were not really on the floor so I more or less had the full weight all the time.  So given that my previous 1RM was 65kg, I think we can call this a PB.

C1. Split squats - 5/5,5/5,4/4,4/4 with 55,57.5,60,62.5kg

Again with a bit of assistance (using squat rack pins for balance plus some push up).

C2. TRX rows 4 sets of 5

Very nearly horizontal.  Tried with feet elevated but that’s still a bit too much.

D1. Supinated cable pulldowns - 4 sets of 5 with 65.6kg

Hard but so close to bodyweight!

D2. Glute ham raises alternated with back extensions - 4 sets of 5

Plan is now to take tomorrow off then deadlift Wednesday.  Then Thursday hoop and aerial yoga, which are generally not as intense, before Saturday double pole.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, @mu said:

Funny by mistake I landed on p. 6 of your thread, you were writing "I cannot squat to save my life", seems to have improved A LOT! You're on fire :D 

Ha ha, I do moan a bit...  oops.  Anyway, thanks for the reminder!  I do remember as I was stuck for AGES (ie about 3.5 years) not being able to go above 4–kg in the back squat most of the time and it never feeling comfortable.  So I think I’m kind of justified in my moaning as it has been a very long haul!  The trainer I’ve had since spring last year has been excellent in getting me over that plateau - it was all about building strength/stability in the hole.  I’ve had a few wobbles since but generally it’s been a fairly steady upwards progression.  He’s recently had me using a band to measure the velocity in m/s of my movement when squatting and doing unloaded and light squats to practise moving more quickly, and that seems to have worked in making me move faster (even if apparently I move slower than the parameters say one ought to!) and I guess it’s also helped in pushing the weights up.

• Like 1

Enjoy reading about your progress.  Is a supinated pulldown when you lean back?  Cable pulldowns are currently my favorite exercise.  I do 5-6 sets and the back feels great when I get done.  

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:21 PM, LouCarJo said:

He’s recently had me using a band to measure the velocity in m/s of my movement when squatting and doing unloaded and light squats to practise moving more quickly, and that seems to have worked in making me move faster (even if apparently I move slower than the parameters say one ought to!) and I guess it’s also helped in pushing the weights up.

Moaning is totally fine, I mean it's a battle log :P Speed test on squat: very interesting. And it makes sense. Is there an average value to achieve in m/s?

On 16/01/2018 at 1:34 AM, peelout said:

Enjoy reading about your progress.  Is a supinated pulldown when you lean back?  Cable pulldowns are currently my favorite exercise.  I do 5-6 sets and the back feels great when I get done.  

Hi, good to have you.  No, I’m in a high kneel position, trying to be as directly underneath the bar as possible, then pulling down trying to keep the shoulders back and not allowing them to round.  I’m feeling some shoulder (anterior deltoid I think) DOMS, but unsure whether that’s from this exercise or the TRX rows.

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Moaning is totally fine, I mean it's a battle log :P Speed test on squat: very interesting. And it makes sense. Is there an average value to achieve in m/s?

Yes, there is research on it.  Example here https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/breakingmuscle.com/amp/fitness/introductory-guide-to-velocity-based-training. Apparently my (slow) speed doesn’t quite fit in to predictions, though the research does talk about variations among people, of course.  Eg I did the last rep of my 3 squats at 67kg at 0.2m/s, which is slower than would be predicted, and I seem generally to slow down at weights way off my max but have no trouble lifting them - I just move slow!  It’s all just data, but interesting to geek out on!

• Like 1

WEDNESDAY, 17 JANUARY

I tried to do my deadlift session at home and it kind of went wrong.

A. Jump squats - 3 sets of 4

B. Weighted jump squats - 3 sets of 4 with 2x10kg dumbbells

C. Sumo deadlifts - 4,4,4,3,3 with 67.5,70,60,60,60kg 

I couldn’t get my back neutral.  I struggle in the bottom position.  The idea was to switch to sumo to help my back position but in fact I think I find it harder.  I texted my trainer with a video and he told my to take the weight down (which I’d already done anyway).  No lasting damage to my back as I stopped immediately but we’re going to work on it on Monday.

D. I skipped the heavy rack pulls because of the above and just did the 4 sets of 4 band assisted pull ups.  My shoulders didn’t like me still from Monday so I didn’t want to push it and used the thickest band so really it was just groving the pattern.

E. Bicep curls - alternating between supinated, hammer and probate grip for 4 sets of 9.

Bit disappointing.  I’m so tired at the moment, a kind of not well tired, like you get when recovering from a general anaesthetic.  My brain’s not working for work purposes, which is unfortunate as I’ve got quite a bit of heavy thinking stuff on.  I went out with a friend last night (not late) and hoped that that would help, but whilst it was really nice, I’ve still woken up tired.  I did order a dress for a wedding I’ve got coming up though - found a great shop that cuts stuff to fit women who have a chest but aren’t otherwise large, but they have so many different sizing combinations I had to try them all on to

figure out which worked for me before ordering the dress online, which they don’t stock in stores!  Hoping that after all that it fits ok when it arrives!  But generally it felt so good to have stuff that was made for me - with sports wear in particular I’m getting cross recently with sites that proclaim they stock clothes for all sizes and you look at them and see they’re just not going to work for you.

• Like 2
On 1/18/2018 at 10:13 AM, LouCarJo said:

Bit disappointing.  I’m so tired at the moment, a kind of not well tired, like you get when recovering from a general anaesthetic.  My brain’s not working for work purposes, which is unfortunate as I’ve got quite a bit of heavy thinking stuff on.

Based on what you said about training volume and general mood lately, I wonder if you're not simply overtraining. I know you don't want to hear this but maybe you'd feel better after a proper deload week.