Be strong, get strong battle log

GOALS

The following are my goals for this summer.  I've been away already, but most people are still to go, and the city will be quieter over the summer as well, so it's a clearly defined block of time.  I'm doing this as a battle log rather than a challenge as I don't want the pressure or to be restricted by time limits that don't make sense to me.

BE STRONG (THE PHYSICAL GAME)

• ·        Follow the (workout) programme.  This changes from month to month but at the moment comprises, each week, three full body resistance workouts, two interval sessions, and one longer cardio session or weighted carry session.
  • ·        Practise the KB stuff.  I have a trainer who's teaching me KB stuff (mainly sports oriented).  I will work with him usually once a week.  I also need to get some practice in on my own, which I'll do either as a finisher or as an interval session.
  • ·         Do some yoga.  It's good for my stress levels and to ensure I don't feel beat up from my workouts.  I have an amazing restorative yoga class that I love.  It's at a slightly awkward time but I'll get to it when I can.  Otherwise/as well I have yoga stuff at home and I should be able to find time, even if it's just 15 minutes, to get this done.

GET STRONG (THE MENTAL GAME)

•  
  • ·         Sleep at least eight hours a night, if not nine.  I do best with a lot of sleep.  I've always needed a lot, and need to stop fighting it.
  • ·      Eat three meals a day.  This can include desserts, but only if part of the meal.  Snacks (especially emotional eating) not allowed.  I can have something extra following a workout, which is likely to be a protein shake.  This requires me to prepare meals in advance over the weekend.
  • ·         Do some kind of learning each day.  I feel as though I'm stagnating and also that I'm wasting time that I could use to do something productive.
  • ·        Do some kind of hobby each week.  I have a cushion I'm sewing, I'm trying out growing my own vegetables, and I am trying to get better at taking photographs.
  • ·        Save money to prepare for a brighter future.  Put extra money in a separate account as soon as I get paid so it can't be spent.  Avoid discretionary spending (coffees...) and make my own lunches.

There are other things here, but this list will do for now.

THE PLAN FOR THE WEEK COMMENCING 11 JULY

Monday – full body 1

Tuesday – weighted carries

Wednesday – full body 2

Thursday – restorative yoga class + intervals (KBs – TBD)

Friday – full body 3

Saturday – active rest (easy-ish mountain bike trail).  And meal prep

Sunday – intervals (KBs – TBD)

THE LOG SO FAR

Because starting a log on a Tuesday would be untidy...

MONDAY, 11 JULY – WORKOUT

Rower to warm up

A. Barbell front squats – 3 rounds of 5/3/2 (with 30 seconds rest between each) with 40kg (2x5 with 20kg and 5 with 30kg as a warm up first)

B. KB push press – 3 rounds of 5/3/2 (with 30 seconds rest between each) with 2 x 12kg KBs

C. Single arm standing cable row – 5 rounds of 8/8 (i.e. 8 each arm) with 12.5kg

D. Single leg DB Romanian deadlift – 5 rounds of 8/8 with 2 x 6kg DBs

E. (a) Hanging unilateral march (b) front plank – 2 rounds of 20 seconds each

NOTES:

• ·         The front squats killed my quads (speaking from a day later).
  • ·         I've done the deadlifts before but not for around two months now and I was super wobbly.  I'd wanted to go heavier but it was not happening.
  • ·         My triceps (I think) hurt when hanging from the bar so I cut the last set of exercises shorter than planned.

TUESDAY, 12 JULY – WORKOUT

Various stretching/mobility to warm up then 3 rounds of 3/3 Turkish get ups with 12kg KB.

10 rounds of 15 seconds farmers walk (2 x 24kg KBs) and 15 seconds/15 seconds waiters walk (16kg KB), with 30 seconds rest between rounds.

2 minutes of KB snatches – 18 reps each hand with the 12kg KB.

Foam rolling.

NOTES:

• ·         I need to up the weight on the TGUs but with the soreness from Monday, this wasn't happening.  I have used the 16kg before, but I can't just knock them out with that weight; I need to be feeling good to do so.
  • ·         I need a heavier weight on the waiters walks too, really, but the 20kg is a big jump.
  • ·         I need to be more rested to do longer sets of KB stuff.
  • Like 2

WEDNESDAY, 13 JULY – WORKOUT

40 minutes of yin yoga (basically just a lot of stretching).

Then, later:

Warm up of foam rolling, breathing, stretching.

A. (a) DB bench press - 4 rounds of 5/3/2 with 2 x 12kg (b) pull ups - 4 rounds of 5/3/2 with 26kg of assistance

B. (a) push ups - 5 rounds of 8 (b) single arm cable row - 5 rounds of 8/8

C. (a) side plank - 3 rounds of 20 secs/20 secs (b) waiters walk - 3 rounds of 20 secs/20 secs with 16kg KB

NOTES:

• Not the most energised of workouts, as my quads/hamstrings still hurt a lot.  They felt better for me having moved, though.
  • Push ups remain a bit of an annoyance - I can't get full depth and don't seem to be progressing much.  Sigh.
  • Pull ups are getting stronger, though (slowly).  I could probably take the assistance down next time around.

THE MENTAL GAME

Sleep terrible and eating too many chocolates/sweets.  Hmm.

• Like 1

The push ups will come along. Are you doing full floor or a bit of an incline? I found gradually working my way down to floor push-ups was easier than grinding them out with bad form and possible injury.

Although I have been Challenged to do the 22 push ups a day for 22 days for the 22 service people who commit suicide a day in the USA. Way to revisit the humble push up!

Good luck with your journey.

Wait! What............?

12 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

The push ups will come along. Are you doing full floor or a bit of an incline? I found gradually working my way down to floor push-ups was easier than grinding them out with bad form and possible injury.

Although I have been Challenged to do the 22 push ups a day for 22 days for the 22 service people who commit suicide a day in the USA. Way to revisit the humble push up!

Good luck with your journey.

Hey, thanks.  I was doing them with an incline (working my way down the Smith machine) but got close enough and my trainer reckons that I can do them from the floor now.  I can now get pretty close to chest to floor for a few at least.  I did some more today (details below) - actually more than the 22 but I'm not sure I'd want to commit to doing that many each and every day!

THURSDAY, 14 JULY – WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Didn't find time for the other stuff I had planned.  So much family stuff this week.

FRIDAY, 15 JULY – WORKOUT

Warm up of foam rolling, breathing, stretching.

A. Deadlift - 4 rounds of 5/3/2 with 60kg

B. Standing lunge with barbell in back squat position - 4 rounds of 5/3/2 (each leg) with 20kg

C. (a) Push ups - 5 rounds of 8 (b) Single arm bentover row - 5 rounds with 12kg KB

D. (a) No money drill - 3 rounds of 10 (b) Side planks - 3 rounds of 20 seconds each side

E. KB snatches - 30 each arm, single switch with 12kg; rest followed by 10 each arm, single switch with 16kg

NOTES:

• Deadlift weight was easy but I wanted to start light and see how my legs feel afterwards, before maybe bumping the weight up next week.
  • Ditto on the standing lunges, though my left knee was caving in a bit when I was stepping the right leg forward.  It's my weaker side.
  • I got the lowest ever on the push ups, though the first 4 were significantly better each time than the last 4.
  • I'd wanted to do more KB stuff but ran out of time.  The 30/30 snatches with the 12kg were brutal.  10/10 with the 16kg was a rep PB and very doable, especially given I was fatigued by that point.

THE MENTAL GAME

I am managing to get a bit more sensible with food.  Focus for the weekend is rest, recovery and good food.

• Like 1

SATURDAY, 16 JULY – WORKOUT

1 hour mountain bike riding on a local trail.

SUNDAY, 17 JULY – WORKOUT

No workout.  But I did do 3.5 hours of meal prep - basically all my meals for the working week are now in Tupperware.

WEEKLY WRAP-UP

I felt I worked hard with the workouts.  I was so exhausted on Saturday that I ended up missing a second planned interval workout (first one missed on Thursday).  I missed them because of fatigue, not because I couldn't be bothered.  I still feel slightly guilty about it, though.  I need to keep it under review, seeing how much I can do without burning out and how much rest etc I need to have in order to support the activity level.  I also want to work more on KB stuff - again need to find the balance between that and getting stronger more generally. Last week there were a lot of things going on that meant I often only got 7 hours' sleep a night, which is not enough.

I'm pleased I got my meal prep done, especially as my FIL showed up at 10am on Sunday, having said he'd arrive at lunchtime. I left him and my H to it whilst I did my stuff, before we all went out together later on.  I'm pleased that I didn't let that derail me.  I also got some sewing done when I was being sociable with them in the evening, i.e. sitting in the same room whilst they watched TV.  And on Saturday the H and I went to the cinema together, and it was nice to laugh together (my taste in films is slightly juvenile, and he humoured me very well).  The learning didn't happen so much but that was more because of other commitments, so no big deal and can get back on track this week.

THE PLAN FOR THE WEEK COMMENCING 18 JULY

Monday - session with trainer

Tuesday - cardio - easy-ish for 90 minutes

Wednesday - full body 1

Thursday - restorative yoga + intervals

Friday - full body 2

Saturday - full body 3 + meal prep

Sunday - active recovery

Though TBD as I need to figure out if this is doable.  Going to speak to trainer tonight about it as well as mulling it over myself.

• Like 1

Oops, haven't updated for a week.  

MONDAY, 18 JULY – WORKOUT

Warm up: 1.5k row, foam rolling, stretching, 10/10 single arm swings with 10kg KB.

A. 2 rounds of (a) 10/10 snatch + push press with 12 kg (b) 10/10 swing + snatch with 16kg KB

B. (a) 10/10 jerk with 12kg KB followed by (b) 3 x 10/10 jerk, no rest, with 12kg KB

C. 2 rounds of (a) 1/10 overhead squats with 1 x 8kg KB (b) 10 push ups from knees with hands on KBs (c) 10/10 single arm rows 12kg

NOTES: need to work on thoracic spine mobility - couldn't get deep at all on the squats when holding a KB overhead

TUESDAY, 19 JULY – WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching.

A. 4 rounds of (a) bench press 5/3/2 with 2 x 12kg DB (b) assisted pull ups 5/3/2 with 26kg assistance

B. 5 rounds of (a) 8 push ups (b) 8 standing cable row single arm with 11.75kg

C. 3 rounds of (a) 20 seconds/20 seconds side planks (b) 20 seconds/20 seconds waiters walk with 16kg KB

NOTES: pull ups starting to feel stronger with that assistance

WEDNESDAY, 20 JULY – WORKOUT

30 minutes bike

30 minutes cross trainer

HR 115 bpm average

THURSDAY, 21 JULY – WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Then later:

Warm up: foam rolling, stretching, swings, jerks, snatches with 8kg and 12kg KB

A. 4 minutes jerk with 1 hand switch with 12kg -- 30 reps right, 28 reps left

B. 1 minute on, 1 minute rest, switch hands then repeat for 6 minutes work total -- 17 reps right, 15 reps left with 12kg then upped the weight, 12 reps right, 10 reps left, 11 reps right, 7 reps left with 16kg

C. 4 minutes snatch with 1 hand switch with 12kg -- 31 reps right, 31 reps left -- repeated for second round but failed each side after one minute, so 15 reps each side total

D. 20 one handed swings, 10 strict press each arm, no rest with 12kg -- 6 strict presses each side before push pressing for first round, 1 each side for second

NOTES: need to improve snatch technique (punching to get insertion at the top and avoid the pulling back of the wrist effect).

FRIDAY, 22 JULY – WORKOUT

Rower - 2 minutes warm up then 10 seconds on, 1 minute slow for 10 rounds total

Covered 2,310m total

SATURDAY, 23 JULY – WORKOUT

Active recovery (walking) + meal prep

SUNDAY, 24 JULY – WORKOUT

A. 4 rounds of 5/3/2 deadlifts with 60kg

B. 4 rounds of 5/3/2 reverse lunges with 20kg

NOTES: tired/lethargic/too hot so called it there.

THE MENTAL GAME

• Got into bed with enough time to have 8 hours sleep but didn't manage it because of the heat.  Tried, though.
  • Ok on the meals, though still too much gratuitous stuff on top.
  • Got quite a bit of studying done.
  • Went out on Sunday to practise photography.  Also did some sewing.
  • Avoided meals out this weekend, and ate at home instead.

THE PLAN FOR THE WEEK COMMENCING 25 JULY

Monday - session with trainer + gentle swim/sauna

Tuesday - Iyengar yoga + full body 1

Wednesday - cardio - easy-ish for 90 minutes

Thursday - restorative yoga + KB training session

Friday - full body 2

Saturday - active recovery + meal prep

Sunday - full body 3

• Like 1

MONDAY, 25 JULY – WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching

Circuit of 2 rounds of:

10/10 snatch + thruster with 12kg KB

10/10 single leg deadlift + row with 12kg KB

10/10 windmill with 2 x 8kg KB

10/10 45 degree lunges into twist with 8kg KB

10/10 single leg step ups with 2 x 12kg KB

NOTES:

Bit of a lacklustre session, both in terms of my trainer and my own energy levels.  The first movement jacked up my HR.  I can't get the balance right on the single leg deadlifts/rows.  As I was so exhausted by it (and also as the gym was really busy), I didn't go for a swim after as planned and instead headed straight home.

Today, I've just realised that Iyengar yoga is cancelled for the summer, so I'm sulking slightly.  I have been very productive so far, though.  Now off to get more things ticked off the list.

• Like 1

TUESDAY, 26 JULY – WORKOUT

Did around an hour of restorative yoga at home.  Too tired (and emotional) for anything more.

WEDNESDAY, 27 JULY – WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching, 3 rounds of 2/2 TGUs with 12kg

10 rounds of: (a) 15 seconds/15 seconds waiters walks with 16kg (b) 15 seconds farmers walks with 2 x 24kg

15 minutes on the cross trainer to finish

THURSDAY, 28 JULY – WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Then later:

Warm up: foam rolling, stretching, swings, jerks, snatches with 8kg and 12kg KB

A. Jerk

4 minutes on, 1 hand switch

--> 32R/30L with 12kg

4 minutes rest

2 minutes on, all on R

--> 28 with 12kg

2 minutes rest

2 minutes on, all on L

--> 28 with 12kg

2 minutes rest

1 minute on, all on R

--> 12 with 16kg

2 minutes rest

1 minute on, all on L

--> 10 with 16kg

15 minutes rest

B. Snatch

8 minutes on, alternating hands each minute with 12kg

18R/17L/17R/17L/15R/15L/14R/16L

C. 2 rounds of (a) 10/10 thrusters into overhead squats with 8kg (b) 10/10 single leg deadlifts with 12kg

FRIDAY, 29 JULY – WORKOUT

A. 3 rounds of (a) bench press 5/3/2 with 2 x 12kg DB (b) assisted pull ups 5/3/2 with 21.5kg assistance (first round: 5/3/2, second round: 5/2/2, third round: 4/2/2)

B. 4 rounds of (a) 8 push ups (b) 8 standing cable row single arm with 13.75kg

C. 3 rounds of (a) 20 seconds/20 seconds side planks (b) 20 seconds/20 seconds waiters walk with 16kg KB

SATURDAY/SUNDAY, 30/31 JULY

Off (though did do meal prep).  So exhausted.  Still need to fine tune how much activity I can do and recover properly from.

• Like 1

MONDAY, 1 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Super frustrating personal training session.  It felt as though I could do nothing right.  Trainer did give me a good pep talk at the end about how I'd clearly given it my all and you can't ask more than that.  If you do that and you've improved from a previous session then great, but if not, you had nothing left to give anyway and if you keep on putting that effort into all sessions then ultimately you'll move forward.  And you'll never 'arrive' (because where are you going?) and will always want more, and the point is to keep pushing, not go away (falsely) satisfied that you've found it easy when you're forever in your comfort zone.

As it was so hard, I can't really remember precisely what we did.  It was something like the following.

Warm up: general stretching and mobility

A. Jerks

Warm ups with 8kg

10R/10L/10R/10L/10R/10L with 12kg

13/12 with 16kg (Was trying for 20 but I wasn't resting properly so my wrist was tiring and I couldn't keep going.  Also had to put it down between hands)

B. Snatches

Warm ups with 8kg

30/30 with 12kg (This was the aim; I know I didn't get there but can't remember how many I got - I may have got there but with some rest, I cannot for the life of me remember)

C. 2 rounds of: (a) 10/10 press into overhead lunge (1st round with 12kg, 1st 5 as strict presses then push presses; 2nd round with 8kg, all strict presses); (b) 8/8 renegade rows with 12kg; (c) 8/8 lateral lunges with push press in the middle, 1 x 8kg held in goblet position (these lateral lunges were about the only exercise where I felt stronger than I remember having felt in the past - I could finally actually get down almost low-ish in this position).

• Like 2
On 8/2/2016 at 5:03 PM, The Most Loathed said:

I'm jealous of your weekly program, it's very well balanced and covers a nice spectrum of work.

I can't help but notice that of the weeks you've logged, all of your frustrating sessions appear to be on Monday and that Monday's are almost always frustrating. 

Thanks.  I'm struggling with recovery these past few weeks, not sure why.  Usually I can manage quite a lot of volume, but I'm getting to the weekends completely wiped out.  I have only just started the Thursday KB sessions, and though I don't feel sore afterwards, my trainer reckons they deliver a big CNS hit.  We'll see.  I just have to keep monitoring, I guess.  Interesting that you saw that pattern re: Mondays.  That tends to be my personal training session.  He does push me (that's what I pay him for; I don't see the point of paying someone just to chat).  So maybe it's just that I can't stay in my comfort zone then.  But I'm also ok with having some sessions during the week that are less strenuous, for sustainability reasons.  Upper body stuff is good for that for me, as it doesn't take it out of me the same.  To spoil your theory, though, today was frustrating too ;-)

TUESDAY, 2 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching, 3 rounds of 2/2 TGUs with 14kg

A. (a) AMAP front squats with 30kg (10) (b) 60 seconds farmers walk with 2 x 20kg

B. (a) 10/8/6/4 inverted rows (c) 10/8/6/4 push ups

C. 3 rounds of 15 face pulls

NOTES: short as I was pressed for time.  The TGUs were good - had been doing them consistently then stopped.  I should stop sandbagging and get back up to using the 16kg as the strength is there.  The front squats were not feeling strong.  I was also meant to do 3 rounds of B but forgot and didn't have the time anyway during the session (and tried to go back later but it wasn't happening).  I am a lot lower/more horizontal on the inverted rows than I've been before, though, and the push ups are definitely coming on - these weren't full to the ground but they can happen when I'm fresh and the tired ones are now so much better than my fresh ones of a month or so ago.

WEDNESDAY, 3 AUGUST - WORKOUT

50 minutes bike

HR 119 bpm average

Wanted to do an hour but left to make it to a meeting on time.  No one else was on time and it started 15 minutes late.  With the moderator saying, "oh, we're not actually running that late."  Grr.

THURSDAY, 4 AUGUST - WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Then, later:

Warm up: mobility, stretches, 3 rounds of 2/2 TGUs with 12kg (1st round) and 16kg (2nd and 3rd rounds)

5 rounds of: (a) 30 seconds/30 seconds waiters walks with 16kg; (b) 30 seconds farmers walks with 2 x 24kg

Then, later:

Warm up: mobility

3 rounds of 1 minute on, 1 minute off, 4 minutes rest between rounds of the following: 

(a) 2H KB swings with 20kg

(b) KB thrusters 2 x 10kg

(c) alternating cleans 2 x 8kg (middle round with 10kg as someone had walked off with one of my 8s)

(d) renegade rows/push ups 2 x 10kg

(e) 2H windmills 2 x 8kg

(f) 2H snatch 2 x 10kg

NOTES: 

Very quiet day at work, so had to entertain myself somehow...  TGUs felt easy with the 16kg, as did the waiters walks.  So... I've just ordered myself an 18kg to play with at home.  2H snatch with the 10s were hard.

FRIDAY, 5 AUGUST - WORKOUT

A. (a) 8/7/6/5 goblet squats with 16kg; (b) 8/7/6/5 broomstick overhead squats

B. (a) 8/7/6/5 DB bench press with 2 x 12kg; (b) 8/7/6/5 chest supported DB row with 2 x 8kg

C. 3 rounds of: (a) 8/8 goblet lateral lunges with 8kg; (b) 8/8 DB reverse lunges with 2 x 12kg

D. 3 rounds of: (a) 20 seconds of dead bugs; (b) 15 no money drills

NOTES: the lunges were a killer; my legs are going to hurt tomorrow.  Very pleased with the ROM progress with the lateral lunges, though.  I've also had a sports massage - my goodness were my hamstrings (and shoulders) tight.  Ready for a rest (light cycling + yoga) day, I think.

MONDAY, 8 AUGUST - WORKOUT

I was still feeling ill but had a training session booked so went.

Warm up: mobility, 10 of each on each side of KB swings, push press, clean & squat with 8kg

A. Jerks

1 x 15/15 with 12kg

1 x 15/15 with 16kg

1 x 10/10 with 16kg

B. Snatches

2 x 10/10 with 12kg

10/10/10/10/10/10 with 12kg

C. 2 rounds of: (a) overhead lunge walk with 12kg (about 20 steps first round, 10 second); (b) 5 push ups between benches; (c) 3 skin the cats

Assisted stretching

NOTES:

• My right hand is so much stronger on jerks than the left.  Right went quickly, left much more slowly and was hard to get through the set.  I was motivated by seeing someone senior from work right behind me at the gym, having his own PT session, so of course I couldn't be weak!
  • Snatches were mainly technique work.  I made some progress, mainly with the leaning back when dropping the KB from the top, to counterbalance the weight.  My left hand is so much better on these: the technique is just better, and that more than makes up for the strength differential.
  • Weirdly, my overhead position on the left was really off.  I've never noticed it as a problem before.  We did the overhead lunge walks to try to groove the position.  On these, though, it then showed up the strength difference again because I could do it all unbroken on the right, but on the left had to split up the longer walk into three.
  • I can do one good push up.  Then all tension dissipates!  It's still progress (and has taken me a good two years to get to this point), but the next thing to work on is holding that tension for a longer set.  With these push ups they were split into singles and even then quite a few of them were terrible.
  • I can't do skin the cats properly, but they were in there as a means to try to get me to hold tension, and in particular to work on my core (which is weak - I have a long torso, so am definitely blaming it on that...).

Today I'm working from home.  Still feeling flu-y.  Working out helped yesterday, though, so I reckon I'll do a strength session later, and should be able to fit some yoga in too.

On 8/9/2016 at 10:03 AM, SevenofSeven said:

Skin the cat and my google fu had all kinds of weird! :)

Poor kitties!  Yes, no cats were harmed in the Monday trip to the gym...

TUESDAY, 9 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: half-hearted mobility

A. 1 round: (a) 8/7/6/5 sumo deadlifts at 60kg; (b) 8/7/6/5 renegade rows at 12kg

B. 1 round: (a) 8/7/6/5 single arm band pulldowns; (b) 8/7/6/5 BB push press at 25kg

C. 3 rounds: (a) 8 glute bridges; (b) 8 single leg Romanian deadlifts with 2 x 5kg DB

D. 3 rounds: (a) 60 seconds downward dog stretch; (b) 30 second plank holds

NOTES:

• Not feeling well still (sigh).
  • Hadn't done sumo deadlifts for ages (over a year) and they felt hard.
  • My balance on the single leg Romanian deadlifts sucks.  I went for light weights just to try to get the form right.

WEDNESDAY, 10 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching, breathing, 3 x 2/2 TGUs (12kg first two sets, 16kg last set)

5 rounds: (a) 30 seconds/30 seconds waiters walk with 16kg KB; (b) 30 seconds farmers walk with 2 x 20kg DB

NOTES:

• Still ill, still feeling sorry for myself.
  • TGUs with the 16kg are more of a mental battle than anything - I was almost not going to switch to the 16kg but it then went up easily (bit of a wobble at the end on the left though).
  • After Monday's noticing of my left overhead position being a bit off, I could feel it on the waiters walks today.  Managed to correct for it, I think, but I think I feel the impingement.  Possibly more of a habit thing than anything, as I seem to be able to get into the correct position, it just requires a bit of an effort to get and stay there.
  • Like 1

Your workouts look like such fun. Love the kettlebell stuff.  I really have to work at not shrugging my shoulders with the overhead press. Have you done bottoms up carries? They are great, because if your form is off you have immediate feedback.

Great job on the 16kg TGU!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Your workouts look like such fun. Love the kettlebell stuff.  I really have to work at not shrugging my shoulders with the overhead press. Have you done bottoms up carries? They are great, because if your form is off you have immediate feedback.

Great job on the 16kg TGU!

I haven't but have heard of them.  Maybe I'll give them a try.

I'm really pleased with the 16kg TGU - I started in January barely able to use a 5kg DB for them, and gradually progressed up through the weights, with loads of repetition.  I've seen better progress, percentage wise, with these than with anything else.  I want to get to 20kg, as I saw a lady in my gym doing TGUs with that weight back in January, and wanted to be like her!  I now have an 18kg at home, bought as a necessary stepping stone, so need to practise with that on a day when I'm feeling well and rested - it feels so much heavier than the 16kg!

That's amazing progress! I started with about a 6kg kettlebell, but it took me a year to get to the 16kg.  I was able to do my 30 lb (about 13kg) and really struggled with the upping to the 16kg. @KB Girl recommended the bottoms up presses, and I decided they were magic.:) I'm still working with the 16kg, I can do 2 or 3 reps, but I want to do 5 fairly easy before I move up. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

That's amazing progress! I started with about a 6kg kettlebell, but it took me a year to get to the 16kg.  I was able to do my 30 lb (about 13kg) and really struggled with the upping to the 16kg. @KB Girl recommended the bottoms up presses, and I decided they were magic.:) I'm still working with the 16kg, I can do 2 or 3 reps, but I want to do 5 fairly easy before I move up. 

Yeah, the 16kg is still a bit hit and miss.  It seems to respond well to volume, though, so just more practice!

THURSDAY, 11 AUGUST - WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Replacement teacher for the summer.  Did forward folds, which I just cannot do - lower back tightness, or hamstring tightness, or both?  Don't know.  I can't do that forward reach flexibility test thing that's used in assessments sometimes either.  In any case, it hurt me.  The normal teacher is great, but the two replacements I've had now have caused me pain.

Later:

Warm up: mobility, stretching, 3 x 2/2 TGUs (12kg first round, 16kg 2nd and 3rd rounds, though switched back to the 12kg on the left hand for the 2nd).

A. 2 rounds: (a) AMAP front squats with 35kg (10, 9); (b) farmers walk with 2 x 20kg plates

B. 3 rounds: (a) 10/8/6/4 inverted rows; (b) 10/8/6/4 push ups (hands elevated on the same bar used for the rows)

Random finisher:

10/10 swings, 10/10 jerks with 8kg KB

10/10 swings, 5/5 jerks with 12kg KB

10/10 swings, 5/5 jerks with 16kg KB

10/10 snatches with 8kg KB

3/3 snatches with 12kg KB 

NOTES:

• Argh, none of that felt great.  Bit dispirited.  Not helped by the fact I still feel all flu-y.
  • I don't like AMAP sets.  Could go for longer and only stopped at 10 as the instruction was to use a weight I could do about 10 for.  
  • Inverted rows felt stronger than previously.  I decided to use the same bar to elevate my hands for the push ups as, at that volume, I couldn't do them on the floor without breaking them up massively and/or compromising on depth.
  • I was too tired really to do the KB stuff.  I was getting the insertion right on the 8kg snatches, for a change, which was good.  I noticed on the jerks that as I moved to the 16kg, my overhead position went off.  More practice/strength required!  

THE MENTAL GAME

My food's been good the past two days!  Finally seem to have got my head in a better place.  I haven't been physically hungry up to now, but am now starting to feel it, so need to redouble my resolve.  Food all prepped for tomorrow, though, so really just need to eat that and buy nothing additional.

• Like 1

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, 13 AND 14 AUGUST

No workouts.  Just walking and pottering about.  Just enough meal prep.

MONDAY, 15 AUGUST - WORKOUT

A. 2 rounds of: (a) 8/7/6/5 goblet squats with 16kg; (b) 8/7/6/5 broomstick overhead squats

B. 1 round of: (a) 8/7/6/5 DB bench press with 2 x 12kg; (b) 8/7/6/5 single arm cable rows with 13.75kg

C. 3 rounds of: (a) 8/8 goblet lateral lunges with 8kg; (b) 8/8 DB reverse lunges with 2 x 8kg

D. 3 rounds of: (a) 20 seconds of dead bugs; (b) 15 no money drills

THE MENTAL GAME

Food has continued on track.  Had a weight spike on Sunday after eating some crisps on Saturday (that someone else brought to a picnic, and I didn't resist).  But other than that it's going down and I haven't sabotaged it yet.

I'm getting a bit out of sorts today, but that's because I've not got a lot on so feel a bit pointless.  Recognised it, so can work on fixing it now.

Nice work! 

It's funny, but with snatches it's usually the weaker arm that has better technique. Sometimes I wish I could make all my people weak for a month or so to have them get better at technique and them magically give them all their strength back ;)
I never had this problem because when I started I was weak as a newborn kitten.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram