Be strong, get strong battle log

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Nice work! 

It's funny, but with snatches it's usually the weaker arm that has better technique. Sometimes I wish I could make all my people weak for a month or so to have them get better at technique and them magically give them all their strength back ;)
I never had this problem because when I started I was weak as a newborn kitten.

I don't think I'm that strong, but there is definitely a big difference between right and left arms.  I see that I do things differently on my left, but I can't seem to replicate it.  Oh well, practice practice!

TUESDAY, 16 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Just 25 minutes of restorative yoga (at home) because of a busy work day.  I did enjoy it, though, and I want to get into a habit of getting some yoga done at home (rather than being tempted by food to soothe me of an evening...), so just need to remember the state of mind I had afterwards to encourage me to do this again!

WEDNESDAY, 17 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching, 3 rounds of 2/2 TGUs with 12kg

A. 2 rounds of 60 seconds farmers walks with 2x24kg

B. 3 sets of 5 front squats at 40kg (5 x 2 at 20kg to warm up)

C. 2 rounds of: (a) 10/8/6/4 TRX rows; (b) 10/6/8/4 push ups

D. 3 rounds of 15 face pulls with 12.5kg (15kg for first 10)

NOTES:

• Huge mental block at the moment against doing more than 12kg for the TGUs.  Though today was super busy in the gym and a couple of people walked pretty much right into me/under my arm as I was coming up, so probably just as well I was only using the 12kg.
  • So much more assertive than I ever used to be - the gym is very good practice for this.  Asked a guy who was deadlifting in front of the squat rack if he was using that also; he was pretty rude in his negative reply, but I just brushed it off and starting warming up with the bar.  

THE MENTAL GAME

Food still ok.  Down 0.6kg in the past week.  Also being more cost-conscious with the food, and trying to eliminate any food spending outside the weekly shop.  Not done it for too many days just yet, but I'm more mindful already.

• Like 1

THURSDAY, 18 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching, 3 rounds of 2/2 TGUs with 12kg (need to get over my 16kg mental block...).

A. 5 rounds of: (a) 30 seconds/30 seconds waiters walks with 16kg KB; (b) 30 seconds farmers walks with 2 x 24kg KBs.

B. 50 minutes on the stationary bike.  No HR recorded but approx. 115bpm average I reckon.  18.43km covered so gentle.

Then, later: 

35 minutes of a restorative yoga video that someone gave me to review.

10 minutes of my own restorative yoga stuff after the video left me feeling a bit hard done by, as it wasn't what I'd class as restorative yoga (not enough lying down and not moving for several minutes for my liking).

FRIDAY, 19 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, stretching, 3 rounds of 2/2 TGUs with 12kg

A. (a) 8/7/6/5 assisted pull ups with 26kg assistance (done as 6,2/5,2/4,1,1/3,1,1); (b) 8/7/6/5 push press with 25kg BB

B. 8/7/6/5 three point row with 12kg DB

C. 3 rounds of: (a) 8 glute bridges; (b) 8/8 Romanian DB deadlifts with 2 x 8kg DBs

D. 3 rounds of: (a) 60 seconds downward dog stretch; (b) 40 second plank

Gym with no proper BBs so planned sumo deadlifts will have to be fitted in over the weekend sometime.

SATURDAY, 20 AUGUST - WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga at home

Loads of meal prep/housework etc, equivalent of 20k steps - so good active rest

Sunday - off

MONDAY, 22 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Bit of a write-off as I'd booked a training session but he wasn't there.  The gym was then super busy, so I did the warm-up and gave up in disgust.  I was then planning on doing more stuff at home, but managed to talk myself out of it.  Still 40 minutes or so total, but felt like a bit of a wash out.

Warm up: mobility etc, and 3 x 2/2 TGUs with 12kg

A. 2 rounds of: (a) 5 front squats at 40kg; (b) 60 seconds farmers walk with 2 x 20kg plates

B. 2 rounds of 5 sumo deadlifts at 60kg

Going to a strong(wo)man thing with a friend tonight, then rescheduled training session tomorrow, and another training session (I think - will double check) on Thursday night, so I might appreciate all this rest later on in the week.

TUESDAY, 23 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: various mobility, stretching stuff

Working with a partner, I go, you go, for 2.5 minutes per station for the first round; 1.5 minutes per station for the second round.

Stations:

1. 2 lengths sled push unknown weight

2. 2 lengths mini sled push unweighted

3. 2 lengths farmers walk 2 x 16kg KB

4. 20 battle ropes

5. 5 climb ups/downs onto a ledge at just above hip height

6. 2 lengths sled reverse pulls unknown weight

7. 5 hammer strikes unknown weight

8. 10 cal ski erg

9. 30 seconds arm rotator thing

NOTES:

• The warm up is a set sequence, which I didn't know but copied others.  It involved push ups.  I seemed to get 3 proper push ups before my form broke down!  
  • Generally, I didn't push that hard, as it was soooo hot - I think it was the same for everyone else, and generally we weren't pushed much, which was good, as it wouldn't have been sensible.
  • So the farmers walks were too light, but the only other option would have been 2 x 40kg, and it was nice to have a bit of active rest thrown in anyway.

THE MENTAL GAME

Weight spiked this morning and I'm generally feeling a bit bloated.  (Also have a splitting headache, due to not enough sleep and staring at a computer screen.)  No real reason for the weight gain/bloating, apart from having had probably 2 squares of dark chocolate too many.  This is the stage that I usually give up tracking and being careful, etc, so trying to ignore the emotions and push on through.  I've got good food with me, so just got to time it right so I eat lunch fairly early so I then eat again before training and am then good to travel home without buying anything en route.  

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Buddy workouts are great!

Bloating and water retention is perfectly normal when it's stupid hot outside. Try not to let it bother you!

I liked it on Tuesday as I partnered with a friend so didn't feel under any pressure to perform.

Found the (monthly) reason for the bloating so all good(ish) - got to ensure I don't use it as an excuse to eat too much.

WEDNESDAY, 24 AUGUST - WORKOUT

PT session.  I forget precisely what we did (it lasted over an hour yet what I remember doesn't look that much).  But it was something like this.

Fairly lengthy warm-up (including one legged deadlifts unweighted, as my balance needs work).

Then longcycle.

• 10 swings + cleans, 10 strict presses, right then left.  With 8kg then 10kg.
  • 10 cleans, 10 jerks, right then left.  With 8kg then 10kg.
  • 10/10 clean + jerks. With 12kg.
  • 4 minute longcycle set with 12kg.  I think I counted 15 reps total on the left, not sure on the right, but generally not sure.  It was about trying to get a rhythm rather than numbers, though.

Core stuff.

2 rounds (10 reps 1st round, 5 reps 2nd second round) of:

• Renegade rows + superman 2 x 12kg KB
  • Half get ups 8kg KB
  • Sitting, taking KB from behind the back to the other side and around again (no idea if this has a name) 16kg KB.

NOTES:

• Because every session we discover a new problem...  The newly identified problem is that I tense up my left shoulder when the KB is overhead.  I could relax it when told to do so, but then my elbow isn't straight.  Another thing to work on.
  • My hips still go back too early on the swing, and I struggle to correct that.
  • Left side felt better than the right on the 4 minute set - I struggled to get through the 2 minutes on the right.  Better coordination/movement on that side more than compensates for the lesser strength.

• Like 1

THURSDAY, 25 AUGUST - WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Then, later:

30 minute warm up of foam rolling, stretching, swings, presses, jerks with 8kg, 10kg and 12kg

A. 6 minute jerk set with 12kg 

-> 72 reps in total

B. 1 minute on, 1 minute off jerks for 4 working sets (2 each hand, starting on the right) with 16kg

-> 10/10/10/10 reps

Then the gym was evacuated...  So, picking up a 16kg and leaving the building:

C. Suitcase carries with 16kg, across the gym, down 2 flights of stairs and across the street

D. 4 minute longcycle with 16kg

-> 24 reps total (stopped at 3 minutes 40 because of timer issues, but couldn't have gone on anyway)

E. 1 minute one handed swings, 30 second overhead hold, 30 seconds rest for 6 total rounds (3 each hand) with 16kg (I did 30 seconds for the swings after the first 2 rounds as my hands were about to drop off)

F. Suitcase carries with 16kg, back across the street, up 2 flights of stairs, and across the gym

Stretching

Then, later:

Quick sprint up an escalator and across the length of a (large) station to catch my train and save myself a 30 minute wait at the station for the next one.

NOTES:

• Noticeable improvement with the jerks on the left: I could not have maintained the reps with the 16kg like I did during this workout a few weeks ago.
  • Taking the 16kg outside was optimistic...  My hands do not like me today.
  • The overhead hold is so much easier on the shoulder when I get the insertion right and let the weight rest on the heal of my palm...

Scales have run out of battery but still feeling bloated and blargh.  The heat has not helped at all - I've not slept enough because of it.  Hopefully today will be a quiet one - planning on getting some yoga in, working productively, before chilling in the evening with a glass of wine and a board game.

3 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Then the gym was evacuated...  So, picking up a 16kg and leaving the building:

C. Suitcase carries with 16kg, across the gym, down 2 flights of stairs and across the street

This is lemonade out of lemons. I love it.

What boardgame did you end up playing?

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On 26/08/2016 at 1:20 PM, The Most Loathed said:

This is lemonade out of lemons. I love it.

What boardgame did you end up playing?

Yep.  We were definitely in a better place than the two poor ladies who'd been caught mid-shower, and ended up standing on the pavement for half an hour wrapped in towels.

Carcasonne.  I won ;-)  I'd really like to find others to play with, to see what it's like with more than 2 players and also to get someone else's take on the rules - the rules provided are a bit unclear.  I've heard of one pub where people meet to play games on a Sunday night, this one included, but it's just under an hour and a half's drive away so a bit far really.  The other option I've seen is on a Wednesday and again a way away and also not doable at all anyway mid-week.

Long weekend just been and gone, and I didn't keep up the usual routine.  However, I feel really good for it, and did lots of other hobby stuff, like taking photos, messing around with editing them afterwards, sewing etc.  I'll call the below 'workouts', though they weren't really.

FRIDAY, 26 AUGUST - WORKOUT

45 minutes restorative yoga

SATURDAY, 27 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Lots of walking around a stately home/gardens.  I also drove on the motorway for the first time ever!

SUNDAY, 28 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Very lazy day.

MONDAY, 29 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Just over an hour of gardening.

45 minutes restorative yoga

TUESDAY, 30 AUGUST - WORKOUT

Warm up: not much, as I wanted to grab a place to deadlift whilst it was open

A. 3 x 5 sumo deadlifts with 70kg (warm ups: 5 with 20kg, 50kg, 60kg)

B. 10 minutes of step ups with 2 x 8kg KB (performed as 3/3, 14 total rounds completed, so 42 step ups each leg), followed by 60 second downward dog stretch

C. 2 rounds of 5/4/3/2/1 assisted pull ups (24.5kg assistance for first 5 then dropped down to 28.5kg for rest of the 1st round; 32.5kg assistance for the 2nd round)

D. 5 rounds of: (a) 10 face pulls with 15kg; (b) plank hold (60 seconds for first 2 rounds, then 30 seconds for next 3)

Stretching

NOTES:

• Deadlifts felt good.  Busy gym kind of stressful though.  Although I feel slightly bad about not doing that many workout sessions last week, I think my performance was a little better today because of it.  And, as I said, I'm feeling pretty good for it.
  • Hips hurt a little from the step ups already - single leg work really gets my right hip in particular.  More yoga tonight, I think.
  • Pull ups were hard with so little rest.

1 hour ago, LouCarJo said:

Yep.  We were definitely in a better place than the two poor ladies who'd been caught mid-shower, and ended up standing on the pavement for half an hour wrapped in towels.

Carcasonne.  I won ;-)  I'd really like to find others to play with, to see what it's like with more than 2 players and also to get someone else's take on the rules - the rules provided are a bit unclear.  I've heard of one pub where people meet to play games on a Sunday night, this one included, but it's just under an hour and a half's drive away so a bit far really.  The other option I've seen is on a Wednesday and again a way away and also not doable at all anyway mid-week.

Which rule? 

On 25 August 2016 at 11:56 AM, LouCarJo said:

• Because every session we discover a new problem...  The newly identified problem is that I tense up my left shoulder when the KB is overhead.  I could relax it when told to do so, but then my elbow isn't straight.  Another thing to work on.
  • My hips still go back too early on the swing, and I struggle to correct that.
  • Left side felt better than the right on the 4 minute set - I struggled to get through the 2 minutes on the right.  Better coordination/movement on that side more than compensates for the lesser strength.

Because i'm nosy:

- the relaxed shoulder + lax elbow is a very very very common problem! Try tucking in your chin a little bit, it might help.

- when going back in the swing try not to think about your hips, but try to think about connecting your arm with the rest of your body as fast as possible, that should automatically make you keep the hips forward (to connect earlier)

Looked like great training sessions :)

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 30/08/2016 at 3:36 PM, The Most Loathed said:

Which rule? 

With the builders (and farmers) extension, am I right in thinking that if you lay a tile that completes a feature (city or road), you can't place your builder down on that tile?  That makes sense to me, but it's not expressly in the rules (and I was accused of making up the rules to suit myself when voicing this opinion ;-)).  Also, if you have, say, one city tile already laid and you add another to complete the city, can you put a follower down as you lay the tile and then immediately score the points for it and remove the follower?

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Because i'm nosy:

- the relaxed shoulder + lax elbow is a very very very common problem! Try tucking in your chin a little bit, it might help.

- when going back in the swing try not to think about your hips, but try to think about connecting your arm with the rest of your body as fast as possible, that should automatically make you keep the hips forward (to connect earlier)

Looked like great training sessions :)

Nose away!  

Reassuring to hear it's a common problem!  I'm training again tonight with the group (= the longest sets of the week with no supervision/instruction, just feeling the pain together ;-)) so will try both of these fixes.  

3 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

With the builders (and farmers) extension, am I right in thinking that if you lay a tile that completes a feature (city or road), you can't place your builder down on that tile?  That makes sense to me, but it's not expressly in the rules (and I was accused of making up the rules to suit myself when voicing this opinion ;-)).  Also, if you have, say, one city tile already laid and you add another to complete the city, can you put a follower down as you lay the tile and then immediately score the points for it and remove the follower?

I thought I had the first two expansions but this is expansion 2 and I'm looking at the rules and I don't have it. I have read through the rules online as well as an annotated version I found on BGG.

Builders - it looks like a person could complete a road then place the builder but then the road scores so the builder comes off right away and no second turn is granted, negating any value of placing the builder. So while it appears that you were technically wrong, it was functionally the same.

Pig - If you place the tile closing off the farm, it looks like there is no reason you can't drop your pig on that tile

According to BGG there have been several rounds of rules regarding this particular expansion so in the most current iteration (which may not be what's in your box) the builder and farmer are "dependents". They are placed down as a follower (the one meeple you get to place on your turn) but there have to be other meeples already on that feature, so a builder can't be the only dude of that color on a given road or in a given city. also they don't count for majority.

Yes, you can absolutely drop a follower on a city or road that you just completed (that doesn't already have someone else's follower on it) and score it immediately. This is a great way to turn over you meeples quickly for points. It's not a very satisfying way to play but it can win the game. 

• Like 1

Away for the weekend and won't be doing much beyond walking and resting.

To catch up, though, Thursday was:

1 hour restorative yoga

Then, later, KB training:

Jerks, 2 sets of 4 minutes with 4 minutes rest in between.

40 reps each time, split 22R/18L first set then 20R/20L second set, both with the 16kg.

Snatches, 2 sets of 4 minutes with 4 minutes rest in between.

60 reps first set, 24R/36L, then 45 second set, 24R/21L, both with the 12kg.

2 sets of 60 seconds farmers hold 2 x 24kg and 30 seconds overhead hold 2 x 12kg.

- very pleased with the jerks - 16kg my weight for these now.  Still lots to work on (second dip needs to look different from the first, arm needs to go straight up...) but serviceable and sets felt good.

- snatches seem to have gone backwards.  I had to switch early from R to L as I couldn't hold on any longer on the R.  Second set my L then gave way with a minute still to go.  Argh!

- double overhead holds hurt my back - need to work on core strength still I think - still very quickly goes to my back.

- sessions when you have to wait for others to warm up to the 32s are probably not the best for me as I don't need anywhere near that long to warm up and could probably get more volume in as I don't need the same amount of rest.

Monday: quick workout having arrived home.  Not great given time constraints and having sat in a car a lot of the day.  And horrible clammy weather didn't help. So:

Front squats: 2x5@20kg, 5@30kg, 5@40kg, 5@42.5kg, 5@40kg

Sumo deadlifts: 2x5@20kg, 5@60kg, 5@70kg, 5@60kg

Military press: 5@20kg, 5@22.5kg, 4@25kg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

At least you got it done! :)

Indeed.  I do seem to have a lot of workouts like this, though.  Today was another one where I felt decidedly lacklustre.  To be fair, though, I've cut right down on calories today to get a better idea of hunger and to reset after a holiday weekend, so I'll cut myself some slack :-)

TUESDAY, 6 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility etc, plus 3 rounds of 2/2 TGUs with 12kg

10 rounds of: (a) 15 seconds/15 seconds waiters walks with 16kg; (b) 15 seconds farmers walks with 2 x 20kg plates

NOTES:

• I'm thinking it might be the overhead hold on the left that's messing up my right hip.  It's been annoying me on and off for a while now.  I thought it was single legged deadlifts and/or step ups that had got it, but the less strong/proficient overhead position on the left may well have something to do with it as well.  Will try to get in some yoga tonight.
  • Needed heavier items for the farmers walks but had nothing heavier than the 20kg plates.  They feel pretty light, which is nice.
  • Working out fasted is tough, though I feel better afterwards.
  • Need a mojo boost - happy to have a personal training session in the diary for tomorrow.

Other stuff: super productive day, so I'm pretty happy with life.

Last night I did 45 minutes of restorative yoga to stretch out the hip.

WEDNESDAY, 7 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

Personal training session.

Warm up: mobility, etc.

A. Longcycle

Warm up 15/15 with 10kg

Then 3 rounds of 10/10 with 16kg

B. Snatches

2 rounds of 15/15 with 10kg

Plus practice with 1H swings to try to get the movement right...

C. 2 rounds of: (a) 3 skin the cats; (b) 3 static ring holds with 2/2 knee raises

NOTES:

• Got to continue working on sending the KB straight up on the jerks.  Also on getting the forearm to make contact with the hip before sending the hips back.
  • Snatches have fallen to pieces recently.  Argh.  Prescription is to work more on 1H swings, leaning back when the KB moves forward and letting the heel come up slightly.
  • Core strength is not great still: the skin the cats ended with a bit of a thump each time.  Trying to figure out if I need to rethink the balance of my workouts to address weaknesses more.
On 07/09/2016 at 11:34 PM, SevenofSeven said:

Love the name of that "skin the cat" of all the things and we have animal cruelty as a way to show how brutal that exercise will be! :blink:

I really do need to check out more KB stuff.

Yesterday all I got from it was torn hands and criticism from a relative ("I don't think women should do those kinds of things")...  I enjoyed it, though, and that's what matters :-)

THURSDAY, 8 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

A. Jerks

(a) 6 minute set (one hand change) with 16kg

--> 30R/24L

4 minutes rest

(b) 6 minute set (hand change each minute) with 16kg

--> 10R/9L/9R/5L/9R/5L

B. Snatches

6 minute set (one hand change) with 8kg

--> 48R/48L

C. 3 rounds of: (a) 1 minute double swing clean with 2 x 8kg; (b) 1 minute double strict press with 2 x 8kg; (c) 1 minute rest

NOTES:

• Pleased I hung on for all the jerks.  Weaker on the left, but managed the full 6 minutes, changing bang on half way through.
  • Dropped the weight right down on the snatches to work on technique.  Hurt my hands anyway, but at least I managed to do the full time on both hands.
  • I let my back extend on the overhead pressing, which I need to stop doing.