Be strong, get strong battle log

On 9/9/2016 at 10:36 PM, Elastigirl said:

Lots of cool KB stuff going on here! And Carcassonne, I love that game!

Shame it's not so easy in real life to find like-minded people!

Friday was off, Saturday was meal prep and walking.

SUNDAY, 11 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

Warm-up: mobility etc, 2 x 2/2 half TGUs with 8kg (focusing on the core element)

A. Bench press

5 at 20kg, 5 at 22.5kg, 5 at 25kg, 5 at 27.5kg, 3 x 5 at 30kg

B. Military press

5 at 20kg, 5 at 22.5kg, 3 x 3 at 25kg

C. 3 rounds of: (a) 20 seconds front plank; (b) 20 seconds/20 seconds salute plank

NOTES:

• That was a heavy bench press for me (my least favourite exercise).  It wore me out for the later military presses.

MONDAY, 12 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

Personal training session.

• 1 length hands forward shuffling feet to one side then the other
  • 1 length gorilla backwards walks
  • 1 length bunny hops
  • 1 length crab walks

Practice then repeat full circuit 6 times

• 1 length dragon walks
  • 10 dive bomb push ups
  • 6/6 pushing one leg through to opposite side with that arm off the ground, coming to an almost seated position

Practice then repeat full circuit 3 times

Assisted stretching

NOTES:

• Fun, different but also super hard.  A good idea though rather than bashing my head against a brick wall with externally weighted upper body stuff.
  • Couldn't remember the names of all of the walks ;-)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

All those animal walks looks like a fun workout! Hoping the work and life stress eases up a bit for you.

Yep, and I can really feel them in my quads and upper back today!

TUESDAY, 13 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

Just 45 minutes of restorative yoga.  Felt like I ought to do more, but after a day of difficult work (done now), I decided I genuinely wasn't up to it.

WEDNESDAY, 14 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

1 hour bike, 23km covered total, approx. 120 HR throughout.

• Like 1
Just now, The Most Loathed said:

When I made my classes do animal crawls I got similar feedback from them. 

By way of comparison, the quad DOMS are almost as bad as when I front squat around 80% 1RM for around 20 reps.  I just tried foam rolling my upper back and I just couldn't do it.  I'm going to do some more upper body yoga stuff this evening to encourage it to ease off a bit.  KBs tomorrow.

2 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

By way of comparison, the quad DOMS are almost as bad as when I front squat around 80% 1RM for around 20 reps.  I just tried foam rolling my upper back and I just couldn't do it.  I'm going to do some more upper body yoga stuff this evening to encourage it to ease off a bit.  KBs tomorrow.

Interesting. I've never done weights, but I know when I do frog and bunny hops, my quads really feel it.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

THURSDAY, 15 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

1 hour restorative yoga

Then, later:

Warm up: 1 handed swings, presses, jerks with 8kg, 10kg, 12kg and 16kg

A. Jerks

6 minute set, 1 hand change with 16kg

--> 25R/20L

B. Snatches

10 minute set, change hands each minute with 8kg

--> 194 reps total

C. 2 rounds of: (a) 1 minute/1 minute 1 handed swings with 16kg; (b) 1 minute overhead hold 2 x 8kg; (c) 1 minute rest

NOTES;

• The jerks were not good.  Strength just wasn't there.  I switched early then left side wasn't strong enough and didn't appreciate me trying to push on regardless - it almost ended up on my head.  Oops.
  • Snatches, by contrast, were much better than last week.  Still working on technique but focusing on getting the swing part to be better (in particular, with the heel coming up with the KB on the upswing and trying to wait longer before sending the hips back on the downswing) seemed to transfer into better reps.  Hands didn't hurt like they did last week either.
  • The heavy 1 handed swings were a lot better than they'd been on fire alarm night also - managed to hold on for the full minute on both sides for both rounds.

THE MENTAL GAME

Groan.  Probably all due to lack of sufficient sleep as it's been too hot to sleep comfortably this week.  I'm also consciously trying to eat less/monitor calorie intake etc.  In theory, 1,750 kcal/day is my 500 less than maintenance target.  So far this week I'm averaging 1,769kcal/day but it's felt really hard, and I blame that for the lower jerk number yesterday. I'm craving more cardio and not getting excited by the prospect of lifting.  I'm continuing to experiment, though - I want to see after this week what my weight does.  So far it's 0.5kg down on Monday so if that stays for the week end, I suppose 1,750 is the correct target.  It definitely feels like deprivation, though.  I'm thinking I need to bulk meals out with a lot more leafy greens, which should be easy as I have loads in the garden that need to be eaten to make room for more planting.  I'm also finding that having more of my calories earlier in the day seems to help, and that some fat makes me feel fuller.  I am pretty grumpy, though, but can't tell whether it's the lack of food or sleep that's doing that, or a combination.

SATURDAY, 17 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility

A. Front squats

2 x 5 with 20kg, 5 with 30kg, 3 x 5 with 40kg

B. 3 rounds of: (a) 5/4/3/2/1 bent over one handed rows with 14kg first round 16kg later rounds; (b) 60 seconds upper back/shoulder stretch

C. 3 rounds of: (a) 10 Y prone raises; (b) 10 band pull aparts; (c) 20 bird dogs

D. 2 negative neutral grip pull ups

NOTES:

• Front squats felt really hard.
  • With the rows I had to check it was 14kg as it felt so light.  Even the 16kg was very doable.  Progress!
  • I just messed about with the negative pull ups and did two as I was so pleased with how controlled the first one had been.

The self consciousnesses goes away with climbing. I'm sure everyone has slightly different timing but the first time you meet a vexing problem you'll forget about other people for a bit then next time a bit more and so on until it's mostly gone.

Good luck with the Bullet Journals. I've had some luck as has Sloth. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

TUESDAY, 20 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

30 minutes restorative yoga

Warm up: mobility, etc

A. Military press

5 with 20kg, 5 with 22.5kg 3 x 4 with 25kg

B. Sumo deadlifts

2 x 5 with 20kg, 5 with 60kg, 5 with 65kg, 5 with 70kg

C. 2 rounds of: (a) 10 neutral grip negative pull ups (performed as singles); (b) upper back/shoulder stretch

NOTES:

Couldn't really be bothered, got this done but didn't find my mojo.

WEDNESDAY, 21 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT 

Warm up: mobility, 15/15 swings, push press with 8kg KB

A. KB snatches

10/10/10/10/10/10 snatches with 8kg

10/10/10/10/10/10 snatches with 12kg

2 x 20/20 with 12kg

B. 2 rounds of: (a) 5/5 swing, high pull, snatch, thruster, overhead lunge with 12kg; (b) 10 TRX press ups (performed as singles); (c) 10 TRX inverted rows

NOTES:

• Snatches have got better again, yay!  The technique work with the 8kg seems to have paid off.  To be continued, though the plan is to do so with the 10kg tomorrow.  Loads of stuff still to work on but at least bits are getting better and they feel doable again.
  • Press ups were terrible - something I've done over the past few days has smoked my core and I'm not strong on them at the best of times.  Will try to get in some planks with the TRX though, as I think it'll do me good.
  • Like 2
On 20/09/2016 at 1:21 PM, The Most Loathed said:

The self consciousnesses goes away with climbing. I'm sure everyone has slightly different timing but the first time you meet a vexing problem you'll forget about other people for a bit then next time a bit more and so on until it's mostly gone.

Good luck with the Bullet Journals. I've had some luck as has Sloth. 

Yeah, I'll probably make myself get over it.

I started preparing yesterday.  I think it'll be a good thing - it already reminded me of something I'd forgotten. I like the ability to plan out over the forthcoming month, so you can plan in things you need to do in anticipation of future events.

• Like 1

THURSDAY, 22 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT 

1 hour restorative yoga

Then, later:

Warm up: swings, presses, jerks with 8kg, 10kg, 12kg

A. Jerks, 20 minute set with multiple hand switches, with 12kg

-> 240 reps total, switching every 30 seconds (7 reps per 30 seconds from 0:00-4:00, 6 reps per 30 seconds from 4:00-10:00, 5 reps per 30 seconds from 10:00-17:00, 7 reps per 30 seconds from 17:00-20:00)

B. Snatches, 2 rounds of 2 minutes/2 minutes, 2 minutes rest between rounds, with 8kg

-> 40R/43L

-> 43R/43L

NOTES:

• Longest ever jerk set.  Previous longest had been 6 minutes, so a big jump, albeit with multiple hand switches.
  • Snatches had gone off a bit again - my hands hurt from the day before.

Really tired this morning - not enough sleep last night as KB training means I get home really late.  Got a sports massage booked, though, which should be good, and an Indian meal out tonight.  Relaxation is the name of the game today.

• Like 1
On 9/23/2016 at 12:10 PM, The Most Loathed said:

That is a ton of jerks. Nice work.

It was, but I quite liked it.  Somehow knowing you get to change hands makes it easier psychologically.

Friday was off, Saturday was chores and a fair bit of walking.

SUNDAY, 25 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT 

Warm up: mobility, KB stuff building up the weight

A. KB snatches

100 total, swapping hands each 10, with 12kg

Did the lot in 05:21 (video'ed, not deliberately timed)

B. KB jerks

15/15/15/15 with 14kg

05:01

C. Longcycle

10/10 with 12kg

01:56

NOTES:

• Snatches were back on form.  They felt hard, though I didn't realise what speed I'd been doing until I finished.  Still getting the same stuff wrong with the technique but it seemed to get better as I got more tired.  Still a lot better on the left than the right.
  • Jerks didn't feel great at the time but then I compared with a video I'd taken two months ago, and the improvement is dramatic.
  • Longcycle was just playing - not really done much of this.
  • It didn't feel like much at the time, but I was tired and hungry for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

MONDAY, 26 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

1 hour 6 minutes bike (the 6 minutes because the new bikes in the gym are temperamental and seem occasionally to stop your workout after a few minutes even when you programme them to go for an hour).

TUESDAY, 27 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

Warm up: mobility, 2 x 2/2 TGUs with 12kg, 3 x 4 minute fish game on the rower, more mobility

Personal training session:

A. 1 handed swings

Lots and lots of practice with the 8kg and 12kg 

B. Snatches

AMAP with 12kg

1st round: 25/24

2nd round: 30/29

C. Jerks

6 minute set with 12kg

18/17/13//13/11/10 --> 82 reps total

NOTES:

• 1 handed swings practice was to try to get my hips to open fully on the way up before leaning back, and then to reverse it on the way down so there was contact for longer before I pulled my hips back.  I kind of got it (more on the right than the left) until I started snatching and then I couldn't remember it all.
  • The snatches did feel fairly smooth, though.  However, technique goes so quickly once the reps increase.  Elbow pain is the limiting factor.  I've no idea how I'm going to keep going for longer sets.
1 hour ago, LouCarJo said:

TUESDAY, 27 SEPTEMBER - WORKOUT

• The snatches did feel fairly smooth, though.  However, technique goes so quickly once the reps increase.  Elbow pain is the limiting factor.  I've no idea how I'm going to keep going for longer sets.

You've probably talked all about it and I'm just late to the party but when during your rep are you experiencing pain?

I've had it primarily overhead and found that making sure I wasn't hyper extending my elbow helped as did making sure I was starting to drop the bell with my shoulder rather than my hand helped. No idea if that's relevant but it's my tiny bit of experience.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Have you tried videoing yourself for the jerks? Maybe you could see what you were doing with your elbow that might cause the pain. So frustrating when you want to move forward but can't because of pain. You are doing some impressive KB work though!

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

You've probably talked all about it and I'm just late to the party but when during your rep are you experiencing pain?

I've had it primarily overhead and found that making sure I wasn't hyper extending my elbow helped as did making sure I was starting to drop the bell with my shoulder rather than my hand helped. No idea if that's relevant but it's my tiny bit of experience.

Yeah, my trainer was quizzing me about the pain today.  I've had it before with snatches once I increase the volume with the 12kg, but not for a while as my snatches went off the boil and I dropped back to the 8kg to work on technique.  So, I don't think it's from overhead.  I can comfortably waiters walk a 16kg for multiple reps of 30 seconds.  I feel it a bit going down from my elbow to the hand so possibly more grip on the drop that's doing it.  It only hurts during, and doesn't persist afterwards.  I'm trying to correct the swing back so my arm is in contact with my body for longer, so perhaps that'll help if I can make that correction stick.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Have you tried videoing yourself for the jerks? Maybe you could see what you were doing with your elbow that might cause the pain. So frustrating when you want to move forward but can't because of pain. You are doing some impressive KB work though!

It's more the snatches where I get pain.  Jerks I know on the left I don't push up straight enough, and I can't imagine pushing out to the side and then muscling into proper position is doing me much good.  But it's not causing pain; it is probably just limiting how many reps I can do.  On the snatches I get the pain around rep 23 on both arms.  I have video but not of that many reps, and all it shows really is all the stuff I know I need to work on anyway.  I did have a bit of a break through on snatches today in that they felt a lot more natural and smooth - up until I reached that wall!  Thanks for indulging me anyway - I've been a massive grump this week, not helped by a headache today.

1 hour ago, LouCarJo said:

It's more the snatches where I get pain.  Jerks I know on the left I don't push up straight enough, and I can't imagine pushing out to the side and then muscling into proper position is doing me much good.  But it's not causing pain; it is probably just limiting how many reps I can do.  On the snatches I get the pain around rep 23 on both arms.  I have video but not of that many reps, and all it shows really is all the stuff I know I need to work on anyway.  I did have a bit of a break through on snatches today in that they felt a lot more natural and smooth - up until I reached that wall!  Thanks for indulging me anyway - I've been a massive grump this week, not helped by a headache today.

ugh, headaches are no fun. Hope the headaches and the grumpiness and the work stuff all get better. Think happy thoughts; you can do 23 reps of snatches, that is an amazingly awesome feat!

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

ugh, headaches are no fun. Hope the headaches and the grumpiness and the work stuff all get better. Think happy thoughts; you can do 23 reps of snatches, that is an amazingly awesome feat!

Actually 30 ;-)  But thanks for the reminder to celebrate what I can do rather than focus on what seems impossible (holding on for 10 minutes).

• Like 1