Xena: Who you gonna call??

Xena

Honestly, not a very theme-intensive challenge. But I want to be fit enough to take on anything…even fighting ghosts! Plus I whiffed on my mileage goal last time, and it’s “haunting” me. Some of you will remember, I'm having some problems with lower back pain...I'm continuing to work on this.

Ghostbusters logo.svg

1.     Run 88 miles. I had to downscale this goal last time, so now I’m gunning for it. In a moderate, controlled PT-friendly way (this is relatively low mileage for me, but it’s what I think my back can handle).

2.      200 pushups. but here’s the trick to keep me from procrastinating…they have to be in sets of at least 2 during week 1, 3 during week 2, 4 during week 3, 5 during week 4. Goal is easier if I get a lot of these in early in the challenge.

3.      Multipass: This is a “do all the things” goal. In the summer, there are so many things I want to do, and I get frustrated if healthy things I want to do don’t “count” toward my goals….so I’m counting any non-running exercise, and special running workouts. “silver medal” for 7 points per week. “gold medal” for 10 pts/week.  Examples:

Half Point: PT exercises, 7 minute workout, 5x30 s added “strides” at end of normal run, short (10-15 min) yoga, Darebee Daily Dare.

Full Point: Yoga video or class, lifting at gym, paddleboarding, hill workout (5-6 repeats high intensity), track workout, 10+ mile run.

Two points: 3+ hour hike.

4.      The Internets: Work on my website at least an hour per week. Can “bank” one hour from zero week.

**  Sort of bonus goal (not sure I want to stick with this the whole time): count calories. I’ve been doing this for a little over a week. Aiming to stay under 2000* each day. It’s mostly involved batch cooking, measuring portions, and not eating crap. Particularly tricky not too eat too much in social situations. All stuff I already know, but putting actual numbers on it has been interesting.  

(*2000 isn’t a particularly aggressive goal, but is a sort of test in itself. Online calculators suggest that if I’m exercising intensely I need 2300-2400 per day for maintenance. In theory I should slowly lose at 2000. Will see how that works).

• Like 12

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Bustin' makes me feel good

Ghostbusters ghostbuster 2016 gun kate mckinnon licking

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Following along as usual. Hoping the back responds well with the miles and push-ups and multi-pass.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Here to follow my friend Xena!

• Like 1

[Level ?] Veteran Dwarf Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Great to see you all!

Today was decent: PT in the morning and a gentle run (trying out new orthotics). Playing around with the Daily Dares PVP. Fortunately today's "dare" was pretty easy (100 twisting knee raises), and tomorrow's looks possible as well (60 s push-up hold...can break it into pieces, unless you want "extra credit").

No counting calories today...had two meals out. The first one was reasonable, and I could estimate. The dinner was just too random with lots of fancy small plates. I lost track. It wasn't a crazy meal, just complicated. I don't eat out that much, so I'm just gonna ignore today and move on.

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

36 minutes ago, ladylydia said:

Following of course.

Thanks Lydia. Looking forward to your challenge! With the move, I think you have lots of good things in store.

Today was a fun day. Some running in the morning. Gym in the afternoon, including the Darebee Daily Dare. Today's was perfect...hard but not impossible. Had to hold the mid/low part of a push-up for a total of 1 minute (can break it into parts). I could only make it through 14 seconds, but I did it bit by bit. Pretty can asure I'll be feeling it. I'm liking the Daily Dare. Forces me to try things without knowing whether I actually do them or not. Tomorrow's is mostly ab/core, so I should be able to aim for the "extra credit" (doing it all without stopping). Good to have some fun in my strength training.

• Like 4

Oct/Nov 2016

Following!

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Slogged through 4.5 miles yesterday. Seriously. Slogged. It wasn't pretty. "Epic paddle" in the afternoon. My friend's husband drove us upwind and we had a nice long point-to-point trip back.

Today hot again 3.7 mile trail loop. Was running with a friend, so went a bit slower than I would have otherwise. Decided a lower mileage week is a good thing leading into this challenge. Misunderstood the directions on the Daily Dare, so don't get to count it :-( 

Lots of batch cooking and cleaning. Feel like I might be spending too much time on this stuff and not enough time enjoying summer.  I made my calorie goal 5/7 days this week. The two days I missed were days I ate out. One I barely missed. The other was too complicated to count but probably substantially over. 2000 calories sounds like a lot (and I know many are aiming much lower), but it goes fast. It's reasonably easy if I cook for myself, but gets exponentially harder once I lose control over what food is available.

Yesterday my friend offered me some iced tea (which was of course very nice of her), and I found myself cringing when I realized it was sweetened. Not a big deal, but I don't even like iced tea that much. I would rather save those calories for something more fun!!

• Like 7

Oct/Nov 2016

The heat has been brutal. I feel you. This week is looking not much better. Slow and steady is my motto. 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Lots of batch cooking and cleaning. Feel like I might be spending too much time on this stuff and not enough time enjoying summer. 

Try to enjoy the summer. There is always time for batch cooking and cleaning. Batch cooking could, in theory, free up some time for summer fun if done right. Not to intimate that you are doing it wrong ;)

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Hi Xena,

Love your challenges. It is giving me some great ideas for the next challenge. I have always wanted to be able learn how to do push ups, great strategies to build a little each week. Following! Good Luck!

Bearcat8711

https://www.nerdfitness.com/level-up/my-character/

Fitbit: Bearcat8711 //www.fitbit.com/user/24TGWX

MyFitnesspal: Bearcat8711 

Do or do not. There is no try.