• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pat G

It's a challenge, not a walk in the park... or is it?

I've been thinking about challenges in general the last few days, and i came to the conclusion; a challenge is something you're not sure you'll succeed in at unless you actually have a good crack at. Not something you could choke down in 10 minutes like a steak sanga or a few tinnies. Mind you this is not revelatory, for me, or for any of you, just recontextualised into NF forum Challenge country. 

So without knowing the way challenges are built these days, I'd like you to meet

"3 things i don't think i'll able to get done in the next 4 weeks unless i give them a red hot poke".

1. Conditioning 2x a week. 

A walkabout through Crossfit bushland exposed my blatant "no lungs" policy in the last couple...few...several... years of training and life. I got 8 rounds+3 for a 3/4-Cindy, 19:35 for a half-Helen.

This a public challenge, throw me your favourite/most hated conditioning sessions and i'll give it a try and maybe video for your entertainment. Otherwise, i've got: a tyre, and a rope that i'll be dragging around; a footpath to sprint on; a keg to load and carry; sandbags

Success looks like : All results from completed sessions posted, with a target of Eight for Four weeks. 

Aftalbeating+used+roll+picture+aftalbeat

2. Continue Starting Strength LP, min 2x a week.

Squat: 80kg. Bench: 75kg. OHP:55kg. Dead: 105kg. Power Clean: 60kg.

Success looks like: no missed sessions, even if my garage floor is ice, and I'm busier than a one armed carpenter in a chair making contest.

219661.jpg

3. The bush tucker man, bear grylls, bush mechanics and their ilk do what?

Survive on everything around them, learn what they need to know to thrive.

Success looks like a combination of any 2 of the following:

• Reading and journalling about one of Seneca the Younger's letters
  • Studying Lvl1 Australian Strength and Conditioning Association coaching certificate texts
  • Read Pride and Prejudice, apparently anything by Jane Austen is a window into theory of mind, strategy, social interaction.. WHO KNEW?!?!? This is the real challenge of the challenge, if i can actually read this. I'll have blown my own mind. 

d6304a4db3e524fb6b91a37c32f7d3df.jpg

I lie, i love him

landscape-screen-shot-2015-02-26-at-1717

Also, whats in this spoiler cannot be unseen... and probably not emulated... unless you're up the creek. 

Spoiler

gifs_of_nature_being_disgusting_08.gif

That is NOT what i want to do this challenge. 

And the Bush mechanics are classic ingenuity. 

• Like 5

I like this. I like all of this. It is seems very rugged and outdoorsy, which I wholeheartedly approve of and wish was a bigger theme in my life. I mean the challenge isn't particularly a hike in the bush, but the spirit of it is. 

4 hours ago, Pat G said:

This a public challenge, throw me your favourite/most hated conditioning sessions and i'll give it a try and maybe video for your entertainment. Otherwise, i've got: a tyre, and a rope that i'll be dragging around; a footpath to sprint on; a keg to load and carry; sandbags

Success looks like: no missed sessions, even if my garage floor is ice, and I'm busier than a one armed carpenter in a chair making contest.

• Read Pride and Prejudice, apparently anything by Jane Austen is a window into theory of mind, strategy, social interaction.. WHO KNEW?!?!? This is the real challenge of the challenge, if i can actually read this. I'll have blown m

Cardio: shadow boxing!  I wouldn't mind seeing the video evidence, too! :-)

even if you are busier than a one-legged man in an *ss-kicking contest. 

Jane Austen = excellent reading. 

Looks like an excellent challenge - following!

1 hour ago, wildross said:

Man makers with 25# dumbbells

What are these man makers of which you speak?

I've done something called man makers before, (as a football player), but I don't know how you could do it with dumbbells.  We were basically playing red-light green-light with a need to hold a 3-point stance between sprints. 

What are these man makers of which you speak?

I've done something called man makers before, (as a football player), but I don't know how you could do it with dumbbells.  We were basically playing red-light green-light with a need to hold a 3-point stance between sprints. 

This. Only I was doing them wrong. There should be a squat with the dumbbells at shoulder level after the press

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wildross said:

This. Only I was doing them wrong. There should be a squat with the dumbbells at shoulder level after the press

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's crap like this that makes me think I need to get in some conditioning. Next week I'm trying out a yoga class, the week after that I might try out the circuit class. One thing at a time!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wildross said:

This is kind of a brutal alternative on a burpee, no? Ish? Burpees are def the backbone of my circuits, and so many different things to do with them!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pat G said:

Look at all this yakking going on here. Thanks for the support Warriors :)

We aim to please!

2 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

This is kind of a brutal alternative on a burpee, no? Ish?

That's exactly what I thought.  Burpees for lifters!

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It's crap like this that makes me think I need to get in some conditioning.

Yup. 

• Like 2

I was going to try this one out tomorrow.  My plan was to use 65lbs for the OH Squats.  I'll let you know how it goes.  http://wodwell.com/wod/dan/

For those not into clicking on links.  

4 Rounds for Load and Time:

• 21 Overhead Squats
  • 400 Meter Run

Athlete selects the weight for overhead squats. Score is load and time as pounds per second (ex: 135/13:05 = 135/785 = .172 lbs/sec).

• Like 1

Aright aright aright.  So there are more takers than i thought i'd get when calling you out on conditioning sessions. That's what i get for opening my gob. 

Emerald_Dragonfly : Shadow boxing

Wildross: Manmakers, AMRAP for 1 min

Rooks: Dan John's WOD. 

Today's lunchtime session Conditioning #1

A 400m run carrying a 6kg ball (1:37), then Something they called Dirty Thirty, 30 reps of each; squats, Sit-ups, Kb swings (16kg), Box jumps (24in), Burpees & wall balls (5kg)

Time: 19:12. I slammed through the first 3, then slowed down massively on the box jumps, burpees and wall balls erhmergherrr.. derrberr bbrrgah.  Bonus points: The fancy thing strapped to my chest showed my heart sitting at 170-185 bpm the entire time.

Winner winner chicken dinner. If that's not conditioning i don't know what is... and i don't want to know. 

Taking the day off work tomorrow to hang out with fam, so i'll go along to wifey's bootcamp class she attends, that'll be #2

• Like 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hiddins

Les Hiddins, aka the Bush Tucker Man, "known for his modified akubra and big grin"

Spoiler

Friday 15 July 

Conditioning #2: PT group class boxing, lots of jabs, uppercuts, hooks combined with running planking squatting skipping. totalled 1 hour. I got a good sweat up. And it was just great to train with the Wifey and push each other along :) 

Sat 16 July

SS A

Squat: 80kg, Working through some basic form/core strength issues to keep it tight and upright.

Bench: 75kg with a 7 for the last set.

Cleans: 50kg. My mate and i are both working through learning the C & J and variants so we practiced with sticks and barbells. Then of course the challenge came out, Clean and Press your OHP training max. Managed a double at 72.5kg.

Finished with Clean and press sets of 5 at 50kg

It was a good weekend, Got to hang out with the kids a lot before they go back to school this week. Ate good food, spent timd with good friends, didn't get the man-flu, played Black Flag, i love being a pirate. 

• Like 3

Monday

So i read the first few chapters of Pride and Prejudice last night instead of watching Scrubs DVDs. I have to say, I like Mr Bennett. He made me chuckle a few times, smart man, sharp tongue. I'm guessing he'll sit in the background giving his daughters wry unheeded wisdom till the end of the book when he'll be proven right. 

Manmakers tonight @wildross. AMRAP for 1 minute like you said, aiming for 5 rounds.

• Like 3

Ok.. so i promised cold freezing garage floor... its not happening... middle of July,  come off of the back of a weeks worth Antarctic weather to have 2 days of +20°C.... so i sweated little bit during this, i lie, i sweated a lot in the 5 rounds. Considering i could only do 4 or 5 makers per minute. thats a lot of sweat to rep ratio.

To all the Warriors, I'm sorry i couldn't deliver on one of the core promises of this election campaign. I promise to be a worse politician next time.

Also welcoming commentary like "what a dag, wearing that old rara jersey" or "What a drongo" or "What are those threads hanging out the bottom of his shirt? oh wait, they're meant to be legs!"

:)

Shakkaa

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pat G said:

Monday

So i read the first few chapters of Pride and Prejudice last night instead of watching Scrubs DVDs. I have to say, I like Mr Bennett. He made me chuckle a few times, smart man, sharp tongue. I'm guessing he'll sit in the background giving his daughters wry unheeded wisdom till the end of the book when he'll be proven right. 

Manmakers tonight @wildross. AMRAP for 1 minute like you said, aiming for 5 rounds.

Spoiler alert: the original title of Pride and Prejudice was "First Impressions." It was a good change... reminds me I should be watching more scrubs :P 

11 hours ago, SevenofSeven said:

'Straaaaaya! :applause:

Too right cobber

10 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Sweat is your body realizing its' dreams. 

My head sweats a lot... so it might be literally expelling my dreams from my brain? 

10 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Spoiler alert: the original title of Pride and Prejudice was "First Impressions." It was a good change... reminds me I should be watching more scrubs :P 

I didn't read any more last night. Pretended to be a pirate and sailed the Caribbean for a few hours after training. 

51 minutes ago, wildross said:

Quite a little workout aren't they...?

Yes they are. I was taking a full minute between them just to make sure i finished in decent form. My shoulders decided they'd had enough after the 2nd round haha. 

In other training news

SS B

Squat: Triples at 80 kg

OHP: Fives at 60kg

No deadlift too tired, just 3x10 RDLS at 80kg.

• Like 1

So... there's been a plague rolling through my house since Sunday. One by one the family has taken the fall, and its taking them a long time to get back up. Baby was first, followed by Wifey, then Twin1. Then yesterday evening Middle3 started, then this morning Twin2 was down. 

As a result of this phenomena, a few things:

• I'm spending a lot of time at doctor's, waiting to get in. Managed to read a few more chapters of P&P. Wow... some of these exchanges in the Bingley drawing room i'm having to read 2 or 3 times to comprehend what is being said and follow who says what. I'm enjoying watching the players in this game begin to stratify and expose themselves. The unaware Mrs Bennett against the gossiping Miss Bingley :o (maybe i'm beginning to enjoy the book too) . So that means, more of that ticked off.

• Somehow i'm still not sick, despite playing apothecary for 5 days. My strategy every time sickness draws near is to eat as much food as i can all day erry day & keep my head warm, my beanie gets pulled out of the sock drawer. Haha, however in this new job sitting at a desk, it doesn't fit so well as truck driving/working in a freezer. Or it could just be the flu vaccine i got at the beginning of winter. 

• I dropped the volume on my Starting Strength sessions for the week, less energy expenditure meaning more energy to fight the plague. Still going to hit Conditioning #4 @Emerald_Dragonfly Shadow boxing tonight or tomorrow morning. 

Peace

edit: ALSO

r644011_4481834.jpg

• Like 6