• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello friends! I missed NF a lot but I think I needed a break since I had fallen in the habit of writing magnificent goals and not ever actually working on them. For those of you who are joining me for the first time, I have done some boxing but I'm currently an honorary monk since I'm not actively training a martial art. Right now I'm pretty active with my new rugby team. Last summer I realized that I was out of shape, about to turn 40 and would likely never play rugby again. Four days after my 40th, I got a message about a new team and would I be interested in helping get them started. I quickly went from "helping out" to "starting player". I'm hoping to transition into coaching soon. I still love playing but I really am getting kind of old and also really too out of shape. 

So that's why I'm here. As of right now, I need to keep playing since we need my experience and my brute strength on the field. (I AM the brute squad) 

Goal 1) Rugby practice 2-3 times per week. It will depend on how many practices we have scheduled.

Goal 2) Gym 3 times per week. I'm doing rowing to build cardio endurance and strength training.

Goal 3) Food. My eternal struggle. As usual, I know what I want to do, I just need to find the right way to structure it for a goal. I will get that sorted before the challenge starts.

Goal 4) Rugby knowledge. I've got a level 200 coaching certification clinic on July 30. I need to make sure I'm prepared for it. This will include studying the materials, assessing my own strengths and weaknesses as a potential coach and coming up with a plan to improve my weak areas. 

• Like 8

Well! I was wondering when we were gonna see you again!

giphy.gif

Welcome back. I still say Rugby counts as a martial art. So you're still a martial artist. So you still belong with us. Yes.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 8:33 PM, Teirin said:

Rugby and Judo are remarkably compatible.  Just saying :-)

If only anyone in my town was doing judo. I've started working with a new nutrition person who works does bjj and I really want to give it another shot. So I'm thinking bjj may be my offseason training. 

On 7/12/2016 at 10:32 PM, Shotokan said:

Welcome back!!! 

Thanks! It's good to be back!

On 7/13/2016 at 0:04 PM, theodinspire said:

Yeah! Rugby! I just fell in love with the sport, though I don't know if I'm in the shape to play it. I know I certainly don't have the time. Good luck on the coaching cert!

It's a fantastic sport. I'm not sure anyone is every fully in shape to play unless it's those folks at the top who are getting paid for it. 

On 7/13/2016 at 1:55 PM, Starpuck said:

Woooo JD!  Welcome back sweetie!     We're here to cheer you on and help however we can! :)

Thanks! I'm happy to be back. You're job is to poke me if/when I disappear again! 

On 7/13/2016 at 10:03 PM, karinajean said:

YAY JOEDOG! so excited to see you again!

YAY!! Excited to see you too, friend!

On 7/15/2016 at 2:19 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

tumblr_mp31t6kupp1sn9awno1_500.gif

Do not care the genders are reversed here.  Dun care.  Squeezing the life outta you.  Death hug.

We'll just take turns picking each other up in hugs! 

18 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well! I was wondering when we were gonna see you again!

giphy.gif

Welcome back. I still say Rugby counts as a martial art. So you're still a martial artist. So you still belong with us. Yes.

You know me, I'm never too far away. But I think the break was good for me. 

• Like 2

I have done some boxing but I'm currently an honorary monk since I'm not actively training a martial art.

I don't think I've been actively training in a martial art since I started on the forums.

Missed you and glad you're back. :)

On 7/16/2016 at 5:31 PM, joedog said:

It's a fantastic sport. I'm not sure anyone is every fully in shape to play unless it's those folks at the top who are getting paid for it. 

I suppose that I am 14 stone and know how to grapple. Now I would just have to work on running forever

On 7/16/2016 at 5:31 PM, joedog said:

Thanks! I'm happy to be back. You're job is to poke me if/when I disappear again! 

You got it!!  I am so on top of this!

*hugs your way in the meantime*

On 7/17/2016 at 5:48 PM, PinkNinja said:

I don't think I've been actively training in a martial art since I started on the forums.

Missed you and glad you're back. :)

Missed you too and glad to be back!

On 7/18/2016 at 2:20 PM, theodinspire said:

I suppose that I am 14 stone and know how to grapple. Now I would just have to work on running forever

Running for rugby is a never ending process. Anyone who actually manages to reach the top levels of cardiovascular endurance then have to work twice as hard to keep it. But it's more fun to run when there is tackling at the end.

On 7/19/2016 at 9:31 AM, Starpuck said:

You got it!!  I am so on top of this!

*hugs your way in the meantime*

*hugs*  I like hugs

On 7/20/2016 at 6:43 AM, Raxie said:

FDJALKFEJ9JFKLEU0932Q!!!!jfkldsa!!!!!!!

JD!!!!!!! Oh gosh! So happy to see you back :D

It was a good break but I am so happy to be back and see most of my friends are still here!

On 7/23/2016 at 5:39 PM, Kishi said:

So, hey! How's it going over here?

Totally not forgetting to post. Totally. 

• Like 3

So week 1 didn't really get off to much of a start. I was officially named head coach of the women's team and I've now coached 2 practices. It's pretty terrifying for me, being such an introvert and all. It's all going to be okay but until I get through all these "first" milestones it's going to be rough on my anxiety. 

I ran at practice last night and it felt ok. My food has still been a mess. I'm not sure this week is going to be much better nutritionally. Nowhere to go but up from here! 

• Like 6

congratulations on being named head coach!!! you are going to be brilliant at it, don't talk yourself down. the introvert feelings are probably the roughest? but you'll get used to the added requirement to be "on" for the team. <3<3<3

On 7/26/2016 at 3:19 PM, karinajean said:

congratulations on being named head coach!!! you are going to be brilliant at it, don't talk yourself down. the introvert feelings are probably the roughest? but you'll get used to the added requirement to be "on" for the team. <3<3<3

Coaching as an introvert is really hard. I spent the first 2 hours of the coaching clinic fighting the "you can't do this, you don't know enough, you aren't fit enough, you'll never be good enough, you shouldn't even be trying because you'll just fail." I mostly just rely on the fact that the people who selected me wouldn't have done so if they didn't think I was capable. 

On 7/26/2016 at 3:21 PM, Raxie said:

Wow that's so awesome about being named head coach! Congrats :D

Thanks, I'm equal parts excited and terrifed. 

On 7/26/2016 at 3:23 PM, PinkNinja said:

Coach! Cool.  :)

Thanks!

On 7/27/2016 at 11:16 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

BossJo.  I like the ring to that. ;)

I hope no one decides I'm the boss battle. 

On 7/28/2016 at 11:18 AM, chickie.monkey said:

I bugged you to come back and I haven't even been by to visit. *loser* 

I'm glad you've made it back. I've missed my twinsie.

giphy.gif

Yay for attack hugs! You're not a loser, I haven't been to ANYONE ELSE's thread yet. It's good thing I'm on facebook with most of you people! 

• Like 1