• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber tries not to die

Ok, since this is my 1st official challenge, I'm going to keep things simple:

Food- Meet my macros.  I wanted to cut, but I'm still trying to find my footing with just how much food I need to sustain lifting 3 d/w + 30min cardio/yoga 3d/w. (This is where the title comes in!)

Activity 1- Walk everyday, 10 minutes minimum. (Bonus for 8000+ steps)

Activity 2- Restart handstand practice  Thrice weekly

Mental Health self care- I'm going to leave this one generic, but the goal is to do one thing for me everyday. This may be in the form of self compliments, wearing funky socks, or listening to Christmas music waaaaay out of season, etc, etc. If it makes me smile, and I do it intentionally, then I'm counting it!

I'd also like to be less of a hermit, but I think I'll save that for the next challenge since it's the one I'm most likely to fail ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NatetheStrong said:

Welcome to the warriors!  It's a great place for a first challenge.  How far along are you in your handstand practice?  (I'm definitely still in the right next to a wall phase).

Thanks! I'm in the next to the wall phase too. I am somewhat less than graceful, so I've been taking it slow. Haven't been able to hold one freestanding without touching the wall for more than a few seconds. But I made it up to 30 seconds bouncing my feet off the wall at one point. 

• Like 3

Welcome to Warriors! And yes, please share PRs, esp. deadlift milestones -- CONGRATS!

I need to start working on handstand/forearm stands again... just need to find some empty wall space so I have a place to practice!

• Like 1

Welp, this was an interesting week. On the plus side; PR on DLs, 3/3 handstand practice, and 5/6 walking and macros met. Also checked off the mental health box, though I need a better log for that. On the downside, the other 2 lift days weren't great and on both days I cried for no reason. The other interesting thing was that I managed to lose 2lbs this week after increasing my calorie intake. So overall I think that's probably a B grade. Now to officially begin the challenge! :D

Haven't decided if I'm going to do daily updates, or weekly summaries. I'll shoot for daily, though given my "over-analyzer" posting habits, I'll have to work on that. Anyways, Monday's lifts went a lot better than last week, so that's definitely a positive! Also +1 for mental health, handstand practice (improving some!) and I got a good 30 minute walk in. Added some pushups after handstand practice, since I didn't have time to do during morning workout.  Met macros, and energy level today is good. So I'm happy with all of that!

Side note: I had a grand idea to do plyo this morning. My legs were seriously questioning my judgement, since I did 5x5 back squats and 3x8 front squats yesterday.

• Like 1

I'm late to the welcome party but HI! Welcome to the warriors!

On 7/12/2016 at 1:43 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

listening to Christmas music waaaaay out of season

Did I hear Christmas in July?! Just went to a Christmas in July party a few weeks ago. This has been stuck in my head. Glad I can contribute to your goals :barbershop_quartet_

Nice start to the challenge! Also, you inspired me to finally start working on handstands (well, forearm stands for now) again, so thanks :).

34 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Did I hear Christmas in July?! Just went to a Christmas in July party a few weeks ago. This has been stuck in my head. Glad I can contribute to your goals :barbershop_quartet_

Hmm, my Christmas list is a bit different:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ArgSki77 said:

I'm late to the welcome party but HI! Welcome to the warriors!

Thanks! Glad to be here. Also I'm pretty sure this song will be stuck in my head until it is actually Christmastime lol

59 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Nice start to the challenge! Also, you inspired me to finally start working on handstands (well, forearm stands for now) again, so thanks :).

Hmm, my Christmas list is a bit different:

Woohoo! Let's do this thing! :D

• Like 2

Okie-doke, Week 1 summary.

Meet my macros. 5/7. Went a bit overboard Thursday and Sunday. Fun fact; yes, I can eat nut butter every single freakin' day and not get tired of it.. I'll deal with my jelly hips later..  <.<    >.>

Walk everyday, 10 minutes minimum. 6/7. Another fun fact; if you forget to take off your pedometer before washing and waxing your car, you can get credit for a crap ton of steps.

Restart handstand practice  Thrice weekly. Check! 3/3

Mental Health self care. Check 7/7. Counting buying new shoes Sunday as mental health self care. (I had the poor foresight to wear flip-flops when there was a chance of rain. But they were on sale and I didn't have to grocery shop with wet feet.) 

Lifts went a little better this week than last, though still down a bit overall. Shark week officially put me on my backside. Much grumpiness 2nd half of week.

Not a bad week all in all. I just need figure out how to channel that "I want to punch stuff" emotion to my lifts. That is the downside to working out in the morning instead of after work. Maybe I can talk my boss in to getting us a punching bag. Or a sledge hammer and a target. Both appear to be quite cathartic. ;)

• Like 1

Very nice week 1! I hear you on the nut butters... definitely a weakness here too XD.

If your boss is amenable to the punching bag, that would be awesome! Do you have a work gym?

17 hours ago, Alanna said:

Very nice week 1! I hear you on the nut butters... definitely a weakness here too XD.

If your boss is amenable to the punching bag, that would be awesome! Do you have a work gym?

Thanks! It's funny that I thought I had a bad week until I actually sat down and looked over my notes. Food for thought moving forward on perspective vs reality!

I'm pretty sure they make nut butter with some sort of witchcraft.. It's the only logical explanation for something that simple being so tasty. ;)

At least increasing my overall intake has seemed to help somewhat with my nut butter habit. I'm still eating too much of it, but I haven't gotten the Godzilla cravings for it. (That's usually the point where I end up with a spoon in one hand and a suddenly empty jar in the other, wondering what just happened lol.) It is my only real food weakness, so that's probably why it's been hard to control. Plus it tastes awesome and is totally fine in moderation, so lizard brain says EAT MOAR!!

We're a pretty small business, so unfortunately we don't really have room for any kind of equipment. Maybe a pull-up bar, though I'm not sure the doorways would support it. But if we ever get a bigger building, I'm definitely putting in a request!

• Like 1

Week 2 summary.

Meet my macros. 5*/7. *Did not count Saturday, since we went out to dinner and I had to guess cal intake. Went for a run before that, so may have ended up a bit under? Also went a bit overboard Wednesday, which I will blame deadlifts for ;P

Walk everyday, 10 minutes minimum. 8/7. (Went over 8k steps once, so that is a bonus point)

Restart handstand practice  Thrice weekly. Check! 3/3

Mental Health self care. Check 7/7. Despite meeting this challenge consistently, still feeling a little out of sorts emotionally more often than not. May need to set stricter parameters for this for the next challenge (i.e. napping like a boss won't count)

Challenge-wise, week went pretty well. I will say that I think I was fighting off a cold or something, as I woke up with dizziness and a scratchy throat most of the week, (took a 1.5 hour "power nap" after work Thursday.) so mostly kept lifts light as a result. Tied PR for front squats (66#x3) Friday though, since I was short on time and I knew I wouldn't get any further than OHP and FSs. Managed to make it out of the house both Saturday and Sunday for the 2nd straight week, so improving my hermit-ness? Hermitage? Hermitting?  proclivity to seclusion that I was saving for next challenge has actually gone pretty well too. Probably off to see Bourne next weekend, so maybe I can keep that rolling :)

• Like 2

On 7/26/2016 at 1:31 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

We're a pretty small business, so unfortunately we don't really have room for any kind of equipment. Maybe a pull-up bar, though I'm not sure the doorways would support it. But if we ever get a bigger building, I'm definitely putting in a request!

I purchased a pull-up bar for my house, and we had no problem with the doors supporting it.  I imagine any normal doorway will be fine.

And tied your PR for Front Squats???  YAY!!!

3 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Nice PR on front squats!

Thanks!! :D

16 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I purchased a pull-up bar for my house, and we had no problem with the doors supporting it.  I imagine any normal doorway will be fine.

And tied your PR for Front Squats???  YAY!!!

Thanks! I have one at home too. I may bring it in to see if it fits the door of my office, as I'm hoping to invest in a power rack/squat stand with a built in pull-up bar soon. (Home gym FTW! :)) The problem I foresee is that there is a possibility that we may have termites at the office. So my concern is that I may end up breaking the door, the bar, or my backside lol

59923223.jpg

• Like 1

Week 3 summary.

Meet my macros. 6/7. Bit over on Saturday, though I did go for a jog/run, so it probably evened out.

Walk everyday, 10 minutes minimum. 8/7. (Went over 10k steps once, so that is a bonus point)

Restart handstand practice  Thrice weekly. Check! 3/3 I did see some minor improvement too. Not yet ready for the Olympics, but better than when I started.

Mental Health self care. Check 7/7. Also, assuming I don't fall apart between now and bedtime, this makes 1 full week without crying for reasons unknown. (Boy do I hope I can keep that streak going!). If I can keep the grumpiness to a minimum too, I'll really be in good shape. ;)

Front squats went well Monday. Anything past 5 reps is cardio for me currently, so getting the 1st set of 8 @ 50lbs without having to rest for a few seconds mid-set felt good. Also PR deadlifts for reps on Wednesday. I think my Nightmare before Christmas socks really help with my lifting lol.

I think I'll give week 3 an A-

1 more week, and then I get to cut. Yay! :rolleyes:  Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that my pants (larger size/ pre-weight-loss) and the dress I bought to wear to my brother's wedding in ~7 weeks barely fit, I think I'd just skip it. But at the same time, I waffle back and forth between thinking myself thin enough and elephantine so I do think getting the pressure off my waistband would help with my mindset. I think I'll spend next week getting my affairs in order, and use zero week as a trial/no pressure run through.

• Like 2