• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ArgSki77

ArgSki77 Enters The Final Countdown

Just about 5 weeks until my first power lifting competition so this challenge will be the final countdown in preparation for that. The challenge goals are pretty basic (lifting and eating as per usual) and adding in some checklist goals that will help me prep as competition comes near. For those that have not been around my challenges before, the competition in August is strictly Man vs Barbell(No weight classes). Its part of a custom GoRuck weekend-long event thus per GoRuck tradition the idea is to earn a ruck patch, in this case for lifting either 1000lb, 1250lb or 1500lb total. Want to pull 1000lbs and get a shiny new GoRuck Iron patch for my ruck.

Lifting Goal:

Current 1RM Estimates

Squat: 335lbs

Bench: 260lbs

Deadlift: 415lbs

Competition Total: 1010lbs

(OHP: 160lbs)

The goal is to get that Estimated total as high as possible. I would like to see that estimate at 1025lbs so that I have some room to play with I am running the 4 day a week mass building program from my coach again this challenge. Really need to focus hard on the three lifts. Schedule is getting less busy now that I have moved and am not working crazy 50+ hr weeks at work. No more excuses to skip out on accessory work!

Food Goal:

Last challenge I did I half-hearted cut. This challenge I am not worried about cutting and rather am going to focus on fueling workouts and recovery. Only goal is to not gain a large amount of weight. Bumping my daily calorie intake up to 2500 from 2200 and want to see if that aids in recovery and gym performance without drastically affecting weight. At current weight and activity level, that should be right below maintenance but I haven't seen that trend in the past. Also, going back to a low key version carb cycling. Tend to perform better and recover better when carb heavy meals are just before or after workouts.

One thing I will keep from the last challenge - don't eat like an idiot on the weekends. I've got a couple of weekends of summer parties and events between now and the competition and they are always the thing that drives my weight up so got to minimize that.

Pre-competition Checklist goals:

1) Need to figure out what opening lifts are going to be. I've never had to plan something like this before so that will be a new adventure.

2) Want to verify format. I believe the competition is Wessel's rules so once you fail a lift you are out for that lift. That would affect the above checklist item as you wouldnt get another shot at a failed lift.

3) I will likely add more to this list as competition nears!

And just for good measure since everyone is thinking of the song from the thread title...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NatetheStrong said:

Are there any equipment rules for your competition?  Wraps straps chalk sleeves etc.?  

Looking forward to seeing the results.  And the shiny patch!

The rules from the Facebook group reads:

Standards and patching:
Executed in order: 
Squat
Bench Press 
Deadlift
Wessel's rule in effect.
No sumo, no hitching. Lifts must be raw. Belts, wraps, knee sleeves allowed. No straps.

Mens lift totals for patches:
1,000lb
1,250lb 
1,500lb

Of that list, I only have knee sleeves. I've been thinking of getting a belt and wrist wraps but don't know if I have the time to get them and get used to wearing them. My other idea is to get some tighter knee sleeves for a bit more support. Mine are a bit older and not too tight anymore.

47 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

The rules from the Facebook group reads:

Standards and patching:
Executed in order: 
Squat
Bench Press 
Deadlift
Wessel's rule in effect.
No sumo, no hitching. Lifts must be raw. Belts, wraps, knee sleeves allowed. No straps.

Mens lift totals for patches:
1,000lb
1,250lb 
1,500lb

Of that list, I only have knee sleeves. I've been thinking of getting a belt and wrist wraps but don't know if I have the time to get them and get used to wearing them. My other idea is to get some tighter knee sleeves for a bit more support. Mine are a bit older and not too tight anymore.

Wrist wraps and a belt would help, and you should be able to get used to using them in a month. Chalk would be a huge help for deadlift, and is allowable for raw lifts.

And, while I don't expect you to have an answer, I need to ask/complain "what's up with no sumo deadlifts?"! It's a completely legitimate way to pick up heavy weights!

8 hours ago, NatetheStrong said:

Wrist wraps and a belt would help, and you should be able to get used to using them in a month. Chalk would be a huge help for deadlift, and is allowable for raw lifts.

And, while I don't expect you to have an answer, I need to ask/complain "what's up with no sumo deadlifts?"! It's a completely legitimate way to pick up heavy weights!

I forgot to state that I already use chalk on deadlifts. I just get the stink eye using chalk at the Y. I even stopped using powdered chalk and went to liquid grip so they would stop bugging me about it. But now Im at a new gym that is very much strength focused and there is a chalk stand every 5 feet practically. My last workout at the Y last week was a blowout on deadlifts. Failed my daily heavy and only 6 on my AMAP after 14 the week before. One of the big reasons was lack of grip because I lost my chalk.

I actually do have insight into the sumo lifts. This was highly contested by a few people who claim its valid way to lift. I dont sumo lift but I agree its fine if people do. This rule was overturned. Also one person was fully prepared to negotiate lifting in actual sumo gear in order to pull sumo style but luckily for everyone it didn't come to that!

• Like 1

I was looking for comical images of someone deadlifing in a sumo suit but suprisingly the internet came up empty which was a shocker...But it did yield the super-wide sumo! Id like to see someone actually get any weight off the ground doing this without blowing out their knees or groin.

34 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

I was looking for comical images of someone deadlifing in a sumo suit but suprisingly the internet came up empty which was a shocker...But it did yield the super-wide sumo! Id like to see someone actually get any weight off the ground doing this without blowing out their knees or groin.

Wat.

• Like 1

Week 0 Day 1 and 2:

Ill give a quick update on zero week so far. Gonna go back to old method of listing my workout reps and basic comments rather than play by play so I'm not writing huge paragraphs like last challenge.

LIFTING:

Barbell Squats - 330lbs 1RM    
  10 x 100lbs
  10 x 135lbs
  5 x 165lbs
  4 x 200lbs
  3 x 235lbs
  2 x 265lbs
  1 x 300lbs

1 x 315lbs(Extra feelgood rep)
  16 x 235lbs(REP PR!)
  8 x 235lbs

Accessory:

350 Method RDL at 165lbs - 50 reps

4 x 16 x 15lbs DB walking lunges

4 x 15 Situps

4 x 50' x 80lb DB Farmers Carry

Bench Press - 260lbs 1RM

10 x 80lbs

10 x 105lbs

5 x 130lbs

4 x 160lbs

3 x 185lbs

2 x 210lbs

1 x 235lbs

11 x 185lbs

6 x 185lbs

Accessory:

350 Method Incline press at 115lbs - 49 reps

4 x 10 x 115lbs BB Row 

4 x 12 x 35lbs Overhead Plate Raises

350 Method BB Curls at 65lbs - 46 reps

FOOD:

Monday was last day at 2200cal. Had a huge breakfast and I ate over that anyways so didnt really matter. Cal 2,524 Carbs 243g Fat 107g Protein 162g

Getting adjusted to eating 2500 cal again without eating junk. Pretty clean day yesterday within ~10g of all the macros. Cal 2,418: Carbs 251g Fat 74g Protein 204g

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

nice job on fooooods! use zero week to figure out what you might need at the grocery store for clean fillers?

Yeah I am usually short on carbs. I've been just slowly trying to introduce some more of those in there as basic fillers. Things like whole grain pita chips and tortilla chips. Want something that's straight carbs(or close to it) so I don't affect any other macros because it typically hit those right on with the foods I eat. Also, on lifting days really try to do dinner after workout with a good amount of some sort of carb (rice,pasta,quinoa) so I get a boost to recovery (ie carb cycle).

Week 0 Day 4:

So just when I thought work was getting better, along comes a twelve and a half hour day yesterday. It really knocked my energy levels down and I was tired to the point where I could handle going to the gym. Just decided to go home and do ROMWOD and go to sleep. Food was a little aggressive. We went to lunch really late and I was so hungry I went a bit overboard. Luckily nothing was all that bad and ratios were ok just higher in calories than desired. Cal 2988: Carbs 234g Fat 123g Protein 260g 

Today has been really good. New deadlift accessory work, locally sourced meat market, and other adventures. Hitting the city with some friends so I will update fully tomorrow.

Week 0 Day 5:

Finished up the week strong in the gym. Deadlifts were solid once again after last weeks blowout.

Deadlift - 415lbs 1RM

10 x 125lbs

10 x 170lbs

5 x 210lbs

4 x 250lbs

3 x 295lbs

2 x 335lbs

1 x 375lbs

13 x 295

7 x 295

Accessory

Was asking coach what to use for block pulls and he got this twinkle in his eye. He said now that I was working out at his gym we can change up some accessory work using his "toys". Thus, car deadlifts using some strongman gear were introduced instead of the block pulls.

350 Method Car Deadlifts at 215lbs - 48 reps

4x12x30lb Slamball

4x10 hungarian split squats per leg

Finished with some ground ab work instead of the HKR because the rack with the strap attachements was busy

Food was very good. Found a local butcher shop that carries only local pasture raised meat. Got some sausages which were amazing. I ate them for lunch and dinner. We went out with friends at night and tried to keep the snacks and drinks down to a minimum but I didnt track them. Before going out though, I was about 200 cal short of goal and right on point with my macros. With the added treats, probably somewhere up around 2900cal yesterday. Another interesting note was that I had dropped some weight back down to 309 yesterday morning even with the added calories. Eating late last night definitely affect the weight this morning which was at 310.5. Rest day today so nothing too interesting.

Ooooo toys! And lifting toys are the best toys, AMIRIGHT?!?! And for 48 reps. 

What is in the cards for this week? 

Week 0 Day 6

Like I said, nothing interesting really on Saturday. It was a rest day and took advantage of it to get some stuff done around the apartment. Food was decent. I find it interesting now that I bumped my calorie limit up to 2500, I actually tend to eat over that amount and most of it is decent foods. When I was at 2200 limit, it seemed like 2500 was hard to get to.

Week 0 Day 7:

Snuck squat day in on Sunday so that I wouldn't have to go 4 times after work this week. Plus it meant I could workout at new gym vs after work one. Squats are on fire(as are my legs) lately. Had the big week last week and was feeling confident so the 1RM was raised up to 340lbs.

Barbell Squats - 340lbs 1RM    
  10 x 105lbs
  10 x 140lbs
  5 x 170lbs
  4 x 205lbs
  3 x 240lbs
  2 x 275lbs
  1 x 315lbs(Was supposed to be 310 but I was feeling good and it was easier to add 45lb plate rather than 42.5 combination of plates)
  15 x 240lbs(REP PR! first time repping that weight really)
  8 x 240lbs

Accessory:

350 Method RDL at 170lbs - 43 reps

4 x 16 x 30lb sandbag walking lunges

4 x 8 Ab Wheel

4 x 50' x 100lb Farmers Carry(80lbs + 20lbs for Rogue Handles)

Week 0 Wrap Up

Decent preparation week for this challenge. Think that I am just about adjusted to what I need to do to eat 2500 calories of clean food. Adding in some fruit with my quest bar before lifting and adding some grains to dinner or after dinner snack to bump my carbs up to the new level. Lifting was good. Some moves back in the right direction. I missed my OHP workout because of a super long work day but intend to get back on track this week.

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 1

Interesting start to the day. Bench press has been a struggle recently. Stalled out again. Can make it through the 90% daily heavy but the AMAP has been a sticking point. Gonna drop max down a bit next week as that max is far above what I think my current max is. Also I did some extra little sets after AMAP playing around with grip locations. Normally I keep my hands pretty wide but wanted to see what happened when I brought them in a bit. Feels strong but I dont know if its any better than wider grip. Need to talk with coach about form. I feel like I can improve form to help combat the lack of drive coming out of the hole. I feel like I am barely using my feet at all...just basically for stabilization.

Bench Press - 260lbs 1RM

10 x 80lbs

10 x 105lbs

5 x 130lbs

4 x 160lbs

3 x 185lbs

2 x 210lbs

1 x 235lbs

8 x 185lbs(Bad AMAP set)

4 x 185lbs

2 x 185lbs(Narrower grip testing)

2 x 185lbs(More narrow grip testing)

Accessory:

350 Method Incline press at 115lbs - 48 reps (Tired out from extra bench sets otherwise this would have been 50+, had 22 in the first set but no endurance)

4 x 8 x 135lbs BB Row (new weight so only 8 reps)

4 x 12 x 35lbs Overhead Plate Raises

350 Method BB Curls at 65lbs - 52 reps

Food was solid thanks to the meal prep game being strong on Sunday. Instagram post will follow soon as I haven't had time to upload the picture from my phone yet. Only thing that kept me just below macro was the lightness of my actual dinner. We made shrimp scampi with zoodles which has surprisingly few calories and only 21g protein. I am not used to splitting food so I keep underestimating how much food I need for meals now. I bought 3/4 pound of shrimp which normally I would eat by myself but splitting it with another person makes that too little protein for me. Also, no carbs really in that dish as pasta replaced with zucchini so I demolished some chips and salsa with a protein shake before bed to get my calories and macros up. Cal 2263: Carbs 203g Fat 86g Protein 182g. Good news is that weight is stabilizing back out after adding calories back in. Sitting at 309lbs this morning which was a 1.5lb drop over start of zero week!

• Like 2

awesome work being diligent with your calories! i need some of your will power please.

i know you just moved, but was the move also into a shared place with your partner? i don't think i had caught that! congrats! and yes, 3/4 lbs of any fish product is not enough for two people. for two of us, i usually do around 1.5# of poultry, 1-1.2# of beef, and 2# of fish. once cooked down and with veggies added, it ends up being a good amount per person.

On 7/18/2016 at 10:10 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Ooooo toys! And lifting toys are the best toys, AMIRIGHT?!?! And for 48 reps. 

What is in the cards for this week? 

Unfortunately, work is busy and the weekend upcoming I am away so don't have the time to make it to my new gym I don't believe so no new toys this week :(

11 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

awesome work being diligent with your calories! i need some of your will power please.

i know you just moved, but was the move also into a shared place with your partner? i don't think i had caught that! congrats! and yes, 3/4 lbs of any fish product is not enough for two people. for two of us, i usually do around 1.5# of poultry, 1-1.2# of beef, and 2# of fish. once cooked down and with veggies added, it ends up being a good amount per person.

Yeah, its my gf and I living together now. Those seem like what I would usually estimate but still getting used to buying/cooking for two people. My gf bounces back and forth between eating everything and eating very little so some days a pound of chicken is enough because I get 3/4 of it while others I get half or less. Its all just an adjustment phase. If I have too little of something, I find a way to boost those macros with either protein shakes or carby snacks(never really low on fats).

Week 1 Day 2:

Since I shifted squat and bench a day early yesterday ended up being a rest day. Food was good again. Still having issues like before with buying enough food to cook for two people. GF said she we had chicken in the freezer to make for dinner with sweet potato noodles. That was true but what she meant by we had chicken is that we had a single frozen chicken breast which is not even enough for one person let alone two. So I ate a random assortment of other meats that I found stashed in the freezer, two chicken sausage and some frozen mini meatballs, and then finished up the rest of the chicken that didn't get eaten. Slugged back a protein shake before bed too to help get those numbers up because I didn't get to have an afternoon snack at work since I was stuck in a lab. Final tally for calorie and macros were pretty good, slightly short of goal but it was a rest day so that isn't terrible. Cal 2291: Carbs 208g Fat 91g Protein 206g

Headed back to the gym today for deadlifts. Coach wants me to try a 405+lb again if the normal sets feel good to make sure I am used to that weight for competition(for me it seems more of a mental thing knowing there is 4 plates on either end). And then that would probably be last almost max until competition. Less than a month to go now!

Ohiiii, fellow Boston-area neighbor. Followed you over from CM's thread. My friend also has a coach based out of RX Strength. I've only heard good things! :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, raptron said:

Ohiiii, fellow Boston-area neighbor. Followed you over from CM's thread. My friend also has a coach based out of RX Strength. I've only heard good things! :D

HI! Just moved into Medford and starting to explore the area. I grew up near Boston but have never lived "in" a city before so its a new experience. So many things to do.

My friend from high school is a coach at RX and he introduced me. Ive been running a program from the owner/head coach there for a few months now before actually working out there and Ive seen some awesome results. Now that I live close I get to actually go there, mostly for open gym on weekends, but when work settles downI have loved my time working out there so far.

• Like 1