• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ArgSki77

ArgSki77 Enters The Final Countdown

33 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

....and you have to go to the bathroom at 5am because of all the water fiber you consumed before bed. Realllly wanted to sleep more but couldn't fall back asleep.

FTFY

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

FTFY

This time it really was the water...not all of my bathroom conversations are about my poop schedule :P. Or is #2 the only bathroom routine we discuss in the Warriors? 

I significantly increased water now that I am on creatine to avoid dehydration and that has been causing frequent bathroom trips.

14 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

This time it really was the water...not all of my bathroom conversations are about my poop schedule :P. Or is #2 the only bathroom routine we discuss in the Warriors? 

I significantly increased water now that I am on creatine to avoid dehydration and that has been causing frequent bathroom trips.

Your thread, your rules. 

I'd say with the poop discussion already opened, a little tinkle is nothing shocking. 

92c9dba0-8ee8-0132-4402-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

• Like 2

Week 4? Day 3

Rest day last night...so I'm using this as some reflection.

I don't know why but I'm very lost as to how long into this challenge we are. Anyway, things are going swimmingly. Living in PR land this week with new Bench, DL and squat PRs. And for those of you playing along at home, with those lifts now at 240lbs, 425lbs and 340lbs respectively, my actually lifted total is 1005lbs which is over the weight needed for competition next week! Now I just need to be able to string those together in sequence to earn my patch.

This is the last week of training before the competition so tending more on the heavy end, low reps and really just getting used to having those weights on the bar. Next week will be very light/deload in prep for competition on Friday night. Need to come up with openers for competition. Dont really know much about picking weights for comps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

This is the last week of training before the competition so tending more on the heavy end, low reps and really just getting used to having those weights on the bar. Next week will be very light/deload in prep for competition on Friday night. Need to come up with openers for competition. Dont really know much about picking weights for comps.

Me, either.  Somewhere in NF, there is a strategy guide.  The opener should be stupid easy - something you can hit when you just crawled out of bed with a hangover.  It should also be heavy enough to set you up for your second attempt, which is showing off your current PR's.

At least you're thinking about your openers a week an a half ahead of time and not seven weeks ahead! :lol:

^^I like that article!  Here are my thoughts, based on my first and only PL competition:

Squat 1st: This is your very first lift of the day and will set the tone. Consider being cautious and conservative. 

Indeed.  I opened conservative at 135 kg and smoked it.  Your squat 1RM (155 kg) is what I maxed out with at the meet.  So you can test out 295 to 300 pounds and decide for yourself how it feels.

Bench 1st: The data shows that the bench press eats lifter’s totals. Many, especially new lifters, make technical mistakes on this attempt. Guys especially who haven’t practiced with a pause tend to exaggerate their strength and are surprised how much harder a bench in competition is.

Misses here: If you miss your 1st attempt due to a technical failure (a rules violation, not a failure to complete the lift) you should take the same weight again or the smallest possible increase (2.5kg). Missing this lift means your whole plan is out the window.

I came into the meet with a bad shoulder, so opened with 85 kg because I knew I could hit that.  Well.  See above for exactly what happened.  My poverty bench put me up first and I forgot the cues.  So technical failure.  But.  The weight was extremely easy, so I just did it again.  Right this time.

And the article was right.  The entire plan is out the window.  I went on to attempt 95 kg and missed and destroyed my shoulder.

My bench numbers are a little bit behind yours.  I have done 225 pounds clean and smooth and easy, but never anything higher.  How do you feel about 90 or 95 kg?  Those were the other numbers I was thinking about opening with given a healthy shoulder.

Deadlift 1st: My recommendation is to open at about 80% of your expected max lift. This leaves more in the tank for this demanding lift at the end of a long day. 

I deadlifted 217.5 kg at that meet, so 80% of that would have been 175 kg.  I was told by two people to open much higher than that.  Eventually we agreed on a 195 kg opener.  This is 90% of where I maxed out at.

MM has more competition experience than I have.  I shared my experience because our numbers are very, very similar.

• Like 2

I will share mine since you did :) Keep in mind I've only done two 3-lifts and one push-pull and everything here is in Hindsight.

Spoiler

Meet 1: 1RM going in were (lb) 175/85/185

Squat my attempts were 150/165/180F Good jumps between them, but I was nervous as all hell, like shaking uncontrollably. Given so I probably should have gone either 170 or 175 for my third attempt. Opener and second attempts were right on.

Bench: 75/80/90F. Still freaking shaking I'm so nervous. I had only hit 85 once prior to this so again I think 75/80/85 would have been better. If I wasn't so nervous I would have gone 75/85/90.

Deadlift: 160/175/190 By this point nerves were all out of the way and I knew there was no way I would miss another third attempt :) Good jumps between lifts, good openers.

Meet 2: 1RM going in were (lb) 205/95/200 yea, I'm a weirdo

This meet was supposed to be kg, but when I showed up it was lbs which threw my whole psyche off as I had all my attempts planned out in kg. 

Squat: I had planned in kg 82.5/92.5/95 (~182/203/209). My opener I went down to 180. It was harder than it should have been but still good. Instead of going lighter, I tried to stick to the plan and made a huge jump to 205 and failed that twice. Based on how hard my first attempt was, if I had to do it over, I would have gone 180/195/200-205

Bench: 85/95/100. This was done perfectly. Tied my PR on attempt 2, which I had hit multiple times before and was SUPER confident in and then went for a small PR on lift 3. Do not GO FOR GOLD on attempt 3. I would have missed 105.

Deadlift: 180/195/205 Again this was perfect. Went conservative for a 5 lb PR due to missing my 2 squats earlier and it's right where I wanted to be for all 3 attempts.

Meet 3: push pull. 1RM going in were 105 and 215 (lb)

Meet in kilos

Bench: 42.5/47.5/50F (~94/105/110). This was the right attempt selection, I just misgrooved lift 3 and belly benched it so I couldn't get it up. The jumps were spaced good and the attempts were right about how hard they should have been.

Deadlift: 90/97.5/105 (~198/215/231). Again this was about right. I had pulled 215 for singles on a handful of occasions previously and had gotten 225 to just below my knees. So I knew I had 215 easy, but I didn't feel confident in going for a PR on attempt 2. Because of this my opener was spaced how it was. Attempt 3 took some outside coaching, I was undecided between 100 or 102.5, both which would have been PRs. But based on the speed and ease of lift 2, my "coach" said I should go for 107.5 or 110, I settled for 105. I might have had 107.5 or 110 in me, but I am happy with 105 because 3 white lights and a small PR while leaving some in the tank is better than missing while going for gold.

I'm going to reiterate the last part for added emphasis. It's always better to walk away knowing you have more in the tank, than to go for broke and miss.

• Like 1

One caveat is that you're really trying to get that 1000# patch, right?  Your current PR total is 1005#.  This means to you basically have to hit your PRs to get 1000#.  I would say tactically, the bench is probably the most risky unless when you recently did 240, you had the chest pause in. 

I would say set up the way suggested above but them massage the 3rd attempts into possible road to 1000#.  You don't want to nail all (3) squats, miss on your 3rd bench, and need to PR your deadlift by 15# to get your patch.  Then again, if you could plan to hit exactly how much you are capable of lifting, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice on numbers @Sam Ashen and @miss_marissa!

I took a look online at this article and based my original numbers on those before the two comments you all made. 

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-pick-your-attempts-for-your-first-powerlifting-meet

So I was looking back on my numbers in training, specifically what my 90% are (1 rep sets in training each week). That would be a 320lbs squat, 225lbs bench, and 395lbs. But I can see wanting to go lighter on entry lifts. I just don't know if I feel comfortable with a big jump in weight between first and second rounds. My thought was hopefully hit my current numbers in the second round and try for PRs in the third. All of my PRs according to my training sheets are less than my estimated 1RMs.

Also since this is a really casual competition I am not sure how strict its is going to be...I don't know if training form is going to be acceptable for lifts but that drastically changes bench ability. I can bench smooth and feel comfortable at 225 but its touch and go. Adding a pause at the bottom would make that more difficult. Benching today so going to check some slight pause strength. Oh...and we are running Wessels rule so a failed lift knocks you out of subsequent lifts of that type. That's also weighing in on second lift choice.

Lastly, this isnt really a competition in regards to the standard comp where you want a total. This is either lift 1000, 1250, or 1500 total or dont. So thats kind of weighing on my head a bit. Obviously Im not gonna go out first round for each lift and try to hit my current total to get the 1000 but it definately plays later on. For example if I dont make 235 or 240 that would be ground to have to make up in the deadlift to reach the 1000. So its gonna be interesting knowing I would need a 425 to get the total I need.

I'm looking right now at lifts something like this:

Squat -    RD1: 315lbs  RD2: 340lbs  RD3: 340lbs+

Bench -   RD1: 220lbs  RD2: 235lbs  RD3: 235lbs+

Deadlift - RD1: 405lbs  RD2: 420lbs  RD3: 420lbs+

I feel pretty confident that I can hit all the weights listed up through round 2. They are all weights that I have gotten in training more than once. That would leave me needing to only hit one of the Round 3 lifts in order to get the total I need.

14 minutes ago, Grymm said:

One caveat is that you're really trying to get that 1000# patch, right?  Your current PR total is 1005#.  This means to you basically have to hit your PRs to get 1000#.  I would say tactically, the bench is probably the most risky unless when you recently did 240, you had the chest pause in. 

I would say set up the way suggested above but them massage the 3rd attempts into possible road to 1000#.  You don't want to nail all (3) squats, miss on your 3rd bench, and need to PR your deadlift by 15# to get your patch.  Then again, if you could plan to hit exactly how much you are capable of lifting, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Yes...this is whats really weighing on my mind. Also all of my lift PRs have been after a full workout in training. I work up with the 10x30% 10x40% 5x50% 4x60% 3x70% 2x80% and 1x90% followed by PR attempts. My warmup for comp is going to be much less sets and volume than that which will be nice. Plus coming off of light/rest week helps too.

Week 4 Day 3

Cue the super confusion. That bench press workout messed with my mind more than anything so far. I was at the other branch of the Y near work since the weight room at my usual one was closed for recarpeting. Its the same place I worked out at last week too. My bench press was...excellent. But I dont know why.

The bars there feel different to me. They definitely have a different feel to them than the bars I am used to. They have a smaller grip diameter than the others. My concern was that they were lighter than a normal oly bar and that was the reason the lifts felt so easy. There wasn't a scale to weigh them so I am not sure exact weights but I compared it side by side with the 45 and 35 pound plates and it definitely felt like it was 45. On the other hand, I have been taking creatine for a few weeks now on a big load and have been eating 3000+ calories the last two weeks. I also deloaded a bit on the early sets since I was struggling with estimate at 260lbs. Not sure if those changes could put that much of an increase on bench in a quick time span. I wanted to originally try 225lbs at a pause speed and that was super duper easy...which is where my suspicion came in. Then I went to a 235lbs pause bench and that was also easy. Even at 245lbs(5lb PR and 10lb increase in two weeks) it wasnt brutally hard. I failed 245 miserably 3 weeks ago so it just felt like a very strange session.

Positive out of the confusion though - Even if it was a training bar and not 45lbs it was likely at minimum 35lbs bar. That would just bump all of the numbers below down by 10lbs. That means that at some point in those singles, I did a 225lbs and 235lbs single with a pause and they were comfortable!

Bench Press - 250lbs 1RM

10 x 75lbs

10 x 100lbs

5 x 125lbs

4 x 150lbs

All benches after this had competition style pause at bottom

3 x 175lbs

2 x 200lbs

1 x 225lbs

1 x 235lbs

1 x 245lbs (New PR?)

Accessory:

350 Method Incline press at 115lbs - 55 reps(REP PR increase)

3 x 15 x 80lb Straight Bar Curls

• Like 3

It seems like the length was correct at least by what I can remember. I know it was a GP bar and looking at their site the mens and womens bars have very similar knurl patterns so that is not a great indicator. Id have to go back and measure the length of the bar to know for sure. Not sure if I am going to make it back to that gym or not in the next week so thats probably out. I told my coach and he suggested that when I go to the gym this weekend I could just unrack a 225 bench with their bar which are all Rogue bars and see if it feels the same. 

Up until recently, you'd been in the mid 2000s calorie wise, right?  Lifting heavy, but trying to cut weight.  Maybe your body has been trying to build muscle, but didn't have the requisite materials.  Then you start eating more and you start getting stronger.  Now, there probably isn't any case to be made for a "surge" in muscle growth.  But novices make a 15# gain in bench on most programs in (2) weeks.  10# for you is not outlandish if your diet was suppressing progress before.  Creatine generally will add reps but not strength.  It might help reduce any (if any) fatigue you would have from warm ups and previous heavy attempts (but I don't know about that). 

TL;DR: I think it's plausible that you have gotten stronger.

643.jpg

• Like 2

I read an article recently about how the bar diameter size on power vs oly bar can make the weight feel diferent, and also the flexibility of the bar can affect how the weight feels. Some guy ( I really don't remember where I read this or if someone shared the article here, I certainly didn't go looking for it) was listing the different weight he could lift depending on what bar he was using, even though the weight of the bar was the same. Based on the article I decided it was never going to matter to me because I'm probably never going to bench 250, squat 400, or deadlift 500. But it might be of interest to you. 

Challenge Completion Recap:

So that challenge went fast. Competition coming up on Friday! 

66382320.jpg

Currently on a deload week until comp on Friday and I am actually disappointed that I cant go squat after work today(or any day this week). Stuck with just my ROMWOD mobility work.

Finished last week with a good deadlift session. Pulled some heavy singles at the end of my deadlift pyramid, two at 405lbs and two at 415lbs. Feeling confident with grip and weight up above 400lbs now on deadlifts.

I actually had to go back and see what I set for challenges because I honestly couldn't remember. But basically it was lift heavy things and eat a bit more.

On 7/12/2016 at 3:13 PM, ArgSki77 said:

Lifting Goal:

Current 1RM Estimates

Squat: 335lbs

Bench: 260lbs

Deadlift: 415lbs

Competition Total: 1010lbs

(OHP: 160lbs)

The goal is to get that Estimated total as high as possible. I would like to see that estimate at 1025lbs so that I have some room to play with I am running the 4 day a week mass building program from my coach again this challenge. Really need to focus hard on the three lifts. Schedule is getting less busy now that I have moved and am not working crazy 50+ hr weeks at work. No more excuses to skip out on accessory work!

End of Challenge 1RM Estimates

Squat: 355lbs

Bench: 250lbs

Deadlift: 435lbs

Estimated Total: 1040lbs

Actual Training Lifted Total: 1010lbs (340+245+425)

So I picked up some strength in the squat and deadlift over the course of this challenge. I had to deload the Bench a bit as the max at 260lbs was not correct and leading to diminishing results during workout. It was just burning me out and I was stalling hard. The deload helped my break through(I think, see bar weight discussion) for new bench PR. Feeling very confident going into the comp on Friday with all these numbers

Food Goal:

Last challenge I did I half-hearted cut. This challenge I am not worried about cutting and rather am going to focus on fueling workouts and recovery. Only goal is to not gain a large amount of weight. Bumping my daily calorie intake up to 2500 from 2200 and want to see if that aids in recovery and gym performance without drastically affecting weight. At current weight and activity level, that should be right below maintenance but I haven't seen that trend in the past. Also, going back to a low key version carb cycling. Tend to perform better and recover better when carb heavy meals are just before or after workouts.

One thing I will keep from the last challenge - don't eat like an idiot on the weekends. I've got a couple of weekends of summer parties and events between now and the competition and they are always the thing that drives my weight up so got to minimize that.

Certainly bumped up the calorie count compared to last challenge. I actually started the challenge at 2500 calories but have now worked up to around 3000 in the last 2ish weeks when trying to raise lifting totals. I saw much better lift performance at these calories along with the creatine addition during the challenge. Weight did float back up to around 318lbs though. Basically this maintenance phase turned into a bit of a bulk. +8lbs over the challenge but I noticed that pants and such still fit fine and some even a bit better which I am hoping means some leaner gainz occurred. Cut upcoming though so next challenge should be interesting.

Pre-competition Checklist goals:

1) Need to figure out what opening lifts are going to be. I've never had to plan something like this before so that will be a new adventure.

2) Want to verify format. I believe the competition is Wessel's rules so once you fail a lift you are out for that lift. That would affect the above checklist item as you wouldnt get another shot at a failed lift.

3) I will likely add more to this list as competition nears!

Opening weights were discussed previously. But I've think that I have settled on openers.

Squat will open at 315lbs, bench opener of 225lbs, and deadlift opener at 405lbs(all the even 45lb plate lifts coincidentally). I feel confident at all of those lifts and feel like the should all be a breeze especially considering I can rep those weights following the pyramid build up in training, which is much more than what my warm up will be.

Also I verified the rules are Wessel so a failed lift drops you out for any subsequent attempts at that lift. Also I checked with my coach and its not going to be super strict with pause style bench. That makes me much less nervous as I feel much better doing controlled touch and go bench than a longer pause in the hole.

Well that will wrap up this challenge. Zero week of my next challenge will have the recap on how I keep occupied on a deload week and then comp results at end of the week. Then I'm likely going to wander a bit through some programming changes and diet adjustments. So much fun!

• Like 2