• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ArgSki77

ArgSki77 Enters The Final Countdown

Don't get me wrong, I like crunchy tacos.  I want to like them even more, but they are forever waiting for the right moment to betray you.  They need to genetically engineer a head of lettuce where a single leaf is perfectly shaped to act both as a crunchy taco shell liner to prevent premature failure due to sog and as a failsafe retention mechanism in the event of crunch induced structural failure.  Is "sog" a word?  Maybe not, but I contend that it was the right word for that instance.  If something is be soggy, I put forth that it is beset with sog and display sog-like properties.

I hear you regarding the diet.  Dropping 50# is great progress.  As your target is the 308 weight class, it doesn't leave much room for any kind of bulking.  You might just be stuck for a bit.  I'm neither pro nor against creatine or many other supplements.  It's generally put forth as something that can help directly increase rep volume if taken regularly.  How many reps do you need to hit to complete the AMRAP set? 15? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Don't get me wrong, I like crunchy tacos.  I want to like them even more, but they are forever waiting for the right moment to betray you.  They need to genetically engineer a head of lettuce where a single leaf is perfectly shaped to act both as a crunchy taco shell liner to prevent premature failure due to sog and as a failsafe retention mechanism in the event of crunch induced structural failure.  Is "sog" a word?  Maybe not, but I contend that it was the right word for that instance.  If something is be soggy, I put forth that it is beset with sog and display sog-like properties.

Nothing worse then when you make a nice crunchy taco and have the bottom fall out due to sog. Then you basically have a bad taco salad at best.

11 minutes ago, Grymm said:

I hear you regarding the diet.  Dropping 50# is great progress.  As your target is the 308 weight class, it doesn't leave much room for any kind of bulking.  You might just be stuck for a bit.  I'm neither pro nor against creatine or many other supplements.  It's generally put forth as something that can help directly increase rep volume if taken regularly.  How many reps do you need to hit to complete the AMRAP set? 15? 

Yeah I actually have two bottles of creatine at home that I bought when I decided I didnt always want to take a preworkout. Also weight class was just a personal goal. The competition has no weight classes. Its either lift the weight or don't. So really that doesnt affect anything with the competition. I would rather lift the weight and weigh in at 320 than not get the patch but obviously it would be nice to do the same thing at 300. Luckily even with my bench struggling, I think I could possibly get the 1000 total since my lower body lifts have been doing awesome. Id probably need a PR or two but I can estimate that I could go today and put up a 235 bench 335 squat and 415 deadlift without much issue so already at a 985 total. Add 5lb to all the lifts and Ive got myself a patch.

Week 1 Day 3

Rest day. Food was pretty meh again. Stuck with my lunch as prepared so that was good. But 7am-8pm work shift really threw off my breakfast and dinner. Grabbed a protein shake and paleo blueberry muffin for breakfast and Indian food for dinner. Basically a day of carbs on carbs. So many delicious carbs.

Calories 3220: Carbs 356g Fat 106g Protein 178g

Actually kind of needed a refeed though because I was really feeling the DOMS in my legs and chest and fueling that made recovery a bit better. Knee still feels a bit iffy which is concerning. Got to tone back the squats next week to avoid that. Looking back, I finished that squat workout at new weight in just over an hour which is much too fast for 9 sets!

Weight this morning...up up up(314.8lbs) today because carb addict yesterday. Actually still being carb addict...eating a bagel as I write this! If only I could always pull that off.

f6d85a0ec95c446569d61c08edcf8435.jpg 

• Like 1

I've also been having a bagel problem of late. They are evil evil evil. And now i'm going to go ahead and blame my bloat on carbs because that sounds easier than blaming it on myself. ;) 

5 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I've also been having a bagel problem of late. They are evil evil evil.

Its free bagel Thursday at work which is usually nice because that used to coincide with deadlift day but I now push deadlifts to Friday morning on some weeks now so I can go to my new gym instead.

quote-i-ve-said-this-before-and-i-say-it

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Nothing worse then when you make a nice crunchy taco and have the bottom fall out due to sog. Then you basically have a bad taco salad at best.

I saw one of those "you're eating it wrong" commercials recently that suggested building the taco in reverse. So you put all of the lettuce, etc. 1st and the meat on the top to avoid the bottom falling out. You could also use refried beans or maybe guac/sour cream as a sort of coating to keep the sauce from penetrating the shell.

Just thought food for thought.. ;)

• Like 2

From 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (which I've never read), "put first things first."  Therefore, the first thing into the shell should be protein.  You can find determine how much space you have for taco accessory items like lettuce after you've ensured there is enough protein in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I saw one of those "you're eating it wrong" commercials recently that suggested building the taco in reverse. So you put all of the lettuce, etc. 1st and the meat on the top to avoid the bottom falling out. You could also use refried beans or maybe guac/sour cream as a sort of coating to keep the sauce from penetrating the shell.

Just thought food for thought.. ;)

52 minutes ago, Grymm said:

From 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (which I've never read), "put first things first."  Therefore, the first thing into the shell should be protein.  You can find determine how much space you have for taco accessory items like lettuce after you've ensured there is enough protein in there.

There has been great debate on the internet about this(apparently). That first link even had time to put together a PDF infographic in case you cant remember. Also amusing, the second link has a comment somewhere regarding "who looks up how to stack a taco online?". Clearly they don't know our lives...also now I sitting in my lab super hungry thinking about tacos!

http://davidseah.com/2011/06/optimal-taco-ingredient-stacking/

http://corduroyorange.com/?p=356

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

There has been great debate on the internet about this(apparently). That first link even had time to put together a PDF infographic in case you cant remember. Also amusing, the second link has a comment somewhere regarding "who looks up how to stack a taco online?". Clearly they don't know our lives...also now I sitting in my lab super hungry thinking about tacos!

http://davidseah.com/2011/06/optimal-taco-ingredient-stacking/

http://corduroyorange.com/?p=356

I pretty much only make soft tacos but I employ similar principles. I do the order with a purpose, not randomly. When I make a soft taco: The sour cream or guac always goes on first because then it is easy to spread. Then I put on the lettuce because it sticks to said condiments. Then I do whatever salsa or tomato. Then meat. The cheese goes on top of the meat so that it melts. Sandwiching the toppings between sour cream/guac and cheese holds everything together. 

• Like 2

I appreciate all the different ways to layer tacos from everyone. Regardless of your preference, it is simply a never ending battle against sog(shoutout @Grymm for that word usage). But most importantly...

67764608.jpg

I could seriously do an entire challenge theme on tacos with all the images and such I can find...hmmmm

• Like 5

14 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

I appreciate all the different ways to layer tacos from everyone. Regardless of your preference, it is simply a never ending battle against sog(shoutout @Grymm for that word usage). But most importantly...

67764608.jpg

I could seriously do an entire challenge theme on tacos with all the images and such I can find...hmmmm

I would wholly support a taco challenge. 

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 4

Workouts are shifted around again. Made yesterday a rest day so I could workout at new gym on today and Saturday. Worked late again to "end" the week yesterday. Today is a scheduled off-friday but as you can guess, I am sitting in my lab. I told my boss I would come in and finish some stuff up but I said I wasnt going to come in until 1130 because I had to go to the gym 7-9 this morning. Crushed a deadlift workout(Ill update tomorrow), went home, ate showered and now made some big progress on my work today. I am crediting the relaxed environment with no one to bug me in the lab and the fact I protested by wearing shorts and tshirt.

Food was pretty decent. Cal/carbs are always a bit higher on thursday with free bagels for breakfast instead of my usual turkey. And I was starving after work so I ate some chips and salsa as I sat staring at my dinner to cook! Oh and now that I look back at MFP, I remember that I had a weird craving at work. I looked up at my desk and saw that I had peanut butter from when I was doing RP and I used to mix it with oatmeal before the gym. Then I really wanted peanut butter...and then proceeded to eat like 400 calories of peanut butter with a spoon. #noshame but...

if-u-ever-wanna-see-how-far-out-of-touch

Calories 2,971: Carbs 252g Fat 141g(haha 45 from peanut butter) Protein 185g

• Like 1

Not counting candy, I've probably eaten less than half a small jar of peanut butter in the last.... 20 years?  Other than maybe one PB&J sandwich every couple years, I can't really come up with a reason I would eat peanut butter.  I don't dislike it, but meh.  Actual peanuts I'm kind of blah on as well if they aren't honey roasted.... because honey roasted, duh.  I'm afraid to try almond butter though.  I ravage almonds.

Week 1 Day 4

Workouts are shifted around again. Made yesterday a rest day so I could workout at new gym on today and Saturday. Worked late again to "end" the week yesterday. Today is a scheduled off-friday but as you can guess, I am sitting in my lab. I told my boss I would come in and finish some stuff up but I said I wasnt going to come in until 1130 because I had to go to the gym 7-9 this morning. Crushed a deadlift workout(Ill update tomorrow), went home, ate showered and now made some big progress on my work today. I am crediting the relaxed environment with no one to bug me in the lab and the fact I protested by wearing shorts and tshirt.

Food was pretty decent. Cal/carbs are always a bit higher on thursday with free bagels for breakfast instead of my usual turkey. And I was starving after work so I ate some chips and salsa as I sat staring at my dinner to cook! Oh and now that I look back at MFP, I remember that I had a weird craving at work. I looked up at my desk and saw that I had peanut butter from when I was doing RP and I used to mix it with oatmeal before the gym. Then I really wanted peanut butter...and then proceeded to eat like 400 calories of peanut butter with a spoon. #noshame but...

if-u-ever-wanna-see-how-far-out-of-touch-2908609.png

Calories 2,971: Carbs 252g Fat 141g(haha 45 from peanut butter) Protein 185g

The suggested serving size is almost always less than one would think is reasonable. I take it as just that. A suggestion.

When I make a PB sandwich, I dig that knife in there and get myself a real serving. Tomorrow I can take a picture of what a real serving looks like!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Week 1 Recap and Week 2 Day 1

Back! Had a busy weekend. Was supposed to have Friday off of work but ended up spending the afternoon at work. Did manage to get a deadlift session in during the morning before headed to work. Saturday I went out to brunch with friends in the city and then tried to do overhead press workout at noon. What a terrible mistake that was. Every time the bar got above my head it felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest. I was too full and my chest couldnt handle that extra pressure. I did finish the main sets but accessory work turned into more conditioning with some sandbag bear crawls and a 1000m row. Sunday we drove to CT for a wedding. Open bar and really good food was certainly not good for the macros. But yesterday afternoon, despite minor hangover, had a really solid squat session. I didnt really track all my food but did login and track many of the big things just for rough estimates so I don't have any updates on that front. Back to tracking today.

Deadlift - 425lbs 1RM

10 x 130lbs

10 x 170lbs

5 x 215lbs

4 x 255lbs

3 x 300lbs

2 x 340lbs

1 x 385lbs

13 x 300lbs (Still surreal that I can rep that weight. When I started a year ago on SL, I could barely deadlift 200lb single)

7 x 300lbs

Accessory

350 Method Car Deadlifts at 215lbs - 45 reps

4x10 40lb overhead slams

4x10 hungarian split squats per leg

OHP - 160lbs 1RM

10 x 50lbs

10 x 65lbs

5 x 80lbs

4 x 100lbs

3 x 115lbs

2 x 130lbs

1 x 145lbs

14 x 115lbs 

7 x 115lbs

Accessory

4 x 10 x 95lbs push press
  1000m Row
  2 x 25' x 30lb Sandbag Drag Bear Crawl

Barbell Squats - 350lbs 1RM    
  10 x 105lbs
  10 x 140lbs
  5 x 175lbs
  4 x 210lbs
  3 x 245lbs
  2 x 280lbs
  1 x 315lbs

1 x 335lbs (PR - +20lbs)
  16 x 245lbs(Even after PR!)
  8 x 245lbs

Accessory:

3 x 10 x 185lbs Romanian Deadlifts

4 x 16 x 60lbs Sandbag Walking lunges

Video of squat PR below

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

13 x 300lbs (Still surreal that I can rep that weight. When I started a year ago on SL, I could barely deadlift 200lb single)

Aint that something? Love it. And congrats on the epic squat!!! your numbers continue to amaze :D 

Week 2 Day 2 and 3

I am being terrible with the updates this week. Been eating pretty poorly and not really tracking. I still login to MFP every day to keep the habit up but nutrition has been a low priority this week. Weight has slipped up a little bit but still sitting at 313 which isnt nearly the worst considering probably 3000-3500ish calories a day on estimate. Anyways here is an update.

Tuesday

Rest day but snuck in a pretty cool ruck(20lbs) after work. Headed up to the skyline tower in Fells Brook Reservation which had cool sunset view of Boston. Pretty short mile or two hike but I havent carried my ruck uphill in a while so that was an added challenge and burned the legs a bit after squats on Monday.

Wednesday

Spent all day in our customer review. Lots of snack foods and coffee and catered lunch so nutrition continuing on the not ideal path. Long weeks seem to finally be over as they accepted all our work with minimal actions. Got to leave work at 5 which I never thought would feel so good.

q03NK.gif

Got through my whole workout after work and was home by 8. Great change of pace compared to the 10pm dinners I have been accustomed to. Speaking of changing pace, I switched out the bench press weights a bit. Went a bit lower on the 1 RM and then added in a second single(and some curiosity sets with grip). All the extra food seems to be helping(minus I seem to get cramps doing anything overhead when I am full). Also creatine may have impact in this added bit of endurance, I've been loading up/consistently taking it for two weeks or so now. 

Bench Press - 250lbs 1RM

10 x 75lbs

10 x 100lbs

5 x 125lbs

4 x 150lbs

3 x 175lbs

2 x 200lbs

1 x 225lbs

1 x 240lbs(New PR!)

14 x 175lbs

8 x 175lbs

3 x 175lbs(grip testing, 1 wide, 1 mid, 1 closer)

5 x 135lbs (super close grip, almost inside knurl)

Accessory:

350 Method Incline press at 115lbs - 53 reps(REP PR increase)

4 x 8 x 115lbs BB Row 

4 x 12 x 35lbs Plate Raise

• Like 3