• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ArgSki77

ArgSki77 Enters The Final Countdown

Just a note on the creatine/weight - creatine will make you gain maybe 3-4 transient pounds.  It takes a while to build up in your system on regular doses (5g/day) so I could see you putting on 3-4 pounds during that first week.  It's all water in your muscles to give space for the creatine.  If you were to stop taking it, you should drop the weight.  In other words, most of your weight gain is probably fully explainable.  I've been taking it for almost 2 months.  It was just a curiosity at first - it's pretty cheap.  Initially, I didn't gain anything as I just wasn't lifting heavy enough.  Then a during this challenge, I've starting lifting heavy enough for my muscles to notice - boom 7# weight gain. 

Grats on the bench PR!

3 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Just a note on the creatine/weight - creatine will make you gain maybe 3-4 transient pounds.  It takes a while to build up in your system on regular doses (5g/day) so I could see you putting on 3-4 pounds during that first week.  It's all water in your muscles to give space for the creatine.  If you were to stop taking it, you should drop the weight.  In other words, most of your weight gain is probably fully explainable.  I've been taking it for almost 2 months.  It was just a curiosity at first - it's pretty cheap.  Initially, I didn't gain anything as I just wasn't lifting heavy enough.  Then a during this challenge, I've starting lifting heavy enough for my muscles to notice - boom 7# weight gain. 

Grats on the bench PR!

Yeah I have cycled on creatine before and then decided I didnt need it. But now back on it to see if it would help with endurance once I got to the later AMAP and accessory sets. I expect weight gain with the water so that isn't completely a shock, I saw almost 5 pounds gained last time in the first weeks. Plus my water intake is higher when I am on it because otherwise I start feeling dehydrated even just sitting around. I am currently loading at between 10-15g per day spread out right now then I will drop down to my ~5g per day in my morning or preworkout drink.

I can definitely feel a difference in the later sets. For example with bench. I tend to always see a sharp roll off once I get to about 7-8 reps even when I can complete 15 at that weight. The last half are always a grind. But yesterday that roll off was pushed back a significant amount. I was steady speed and no real grinding through the lifts until the last couple. Could also just be the slight deload but things felt different so going with at least the creatine helps a bit.

A 20# ruck is harder than one would expect. I carry those 10# bumper plates into the gym in a large backpack and while it's not difficult, a hike with that on would be a serious muscle stimulus. Well done! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

A 20# ruck is harder than one would expect. I carry those 10# bumper plates into the gym in a large backpack and while it's not difficult, a hike with that on would be a serious muscle stimulus. Well done! 

Yeah. I used to carry 10lbs of old text books that I found in my grandmothers basement. With that, I could hold a 15min pace on flat ground for 6 miles.

But I found two 10lb plates in my new apartment basement that I am using now. That is the required weight for a GoRuck Light. I thought it wouldnt be too bad, which it was not on flat ground over short distance, but as soon as we started up the hill, the squat DOMS was really noticeable and surprising amount of strain on the hips. It'll be really fun carrying that weight in a pack with some coupons along the Light route.

Also, I decided to track again today which I am pretty much just finding super comical. Major(and I mean major) refeed binge going on. DOMS from bench yesterday is really strong and I am just constantly hungry. Like seriously just got back from an 1800 calorie lunch and still feeling a bit hungry.

Dunkin this morning at 5:30 when I was on way to work. Then another bagel in a meeting. Then lunch was an ongoing joke that my boss made which was when we finished our work and presented to the customer and they hated it, we would drown our sorrows in Tour of Italy at Olive Garden. It was more a happy occasion but quite the loaded lunch. 

Really channeling my inner @Sam Ashen and the MFPvP challenge today.

14X5VI2.png

• Like 3

I finally realized!  You have not had dinner yet!

Also noted:  You seem to have some flexibility in naming your meals.  I did not know you can do that.  You mean I can set up:

Breakfast.

Second Breakfast.

Lunch.

Pre-Workout.

Dinner.

Evening Snack.

Other junk I don't want in a meal?

Yes, nothing like 3100 calories before 12:30. But its looking like dinner will be somewhat healthy so not going to be pushing any real records...I don't think. The day is still young.

11 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Also noted:  You seem to have some flexibility in naming your meals.  I did not know you can do that.  You mean I can set up:

Yes you can do all of that with the standard version. Its under Food->Settings. I think its up to like 5 or 6 meal names.

• Like 1

I tend to just log things in whichever method is convenient.  It's fastest to log things for a meal that I've recently logged that food for.  So if I eat cereal, it tends to go under snack regardless of when I eat it.  On weekends, lunch might be Friday's leftovers.  That'll go under dinner.  I'm not to the point of strategizing when I eat certain macros.  Eat all the things all of the times.

Just now, Grymm said:

I tend to just log things in whichever method is convenient.  It's fastest to log things for a meal that I've recently logged that food for.  So if I eat cereal, it tends to go under snack regardless of when I eat it.  On weekends, lunch might be Friday's leftovers.  That'll go under dinner.  I'm not to the point of strategizing when I eat certain macros.  Eat all the things all of the times.

I would say I do something similar, like leftovers to lunch. But MFP allows you to select an "All Meals" filter so I just do that and select the foods that were at dinner for lunch the next time. I really only care about macro breakdown when I am running my Renaissance Periodization templates because they have food splits to achieve the carb cycling and my tracking has to match spreadsheets. Other than when doing that, as long as its all there, Im not picky.

Week 2 Day 4

Binge day is over. Dinner wasn't as healthy as I predicted so just added to the trend. Don't feel miserable, DOMS is gone, weight up like 5 lbs. Good times!

The daily totals are below. Nothing like a 2100+ calorie surplus. Also, sodium though the roof. Got to drink some serious water today to take that concentration back down.

Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Fat
g
Protein
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g
Totals 4,634 495 208 183 8,117 61  
Your Daily Goal 2,500 250 69 219 2,300 82  
Remaining -2,134 -245 -139 36 -5,817 21  

Workouts moved to weekend when I have more time so it was a rest day. Did the warrior series ROMWOD so at least I had 45 min of yoga in there. Food back on track today. Bringing calories back down to the 3000ish range and then back to normal calorie range for training this weekend. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I finally realized!  You have not had dinner yet!

Breakfast.

Second Breakfast.

Lunch.

Pre-Workout.

Dinner.

Evening Snack.

Other junk I don't want in a meal?

The proper order is:

Breakfast

Second Breakfast

Elevensies

Lunch

Afternoon Tea

Dinner

Supper

But you have the proper number of meals so I suppose I'll let it slide :panda:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Grymm said:

My meals:

awake

Awake is the continuous meal that lasts as long as I'm conscious.

I would have to add "half awake" to that list. I have eaten many a snack while dozing off on the couch. Im pretty sure I "sleep ate" a few weeks ago. I was watching a movie with a bowl of popcorn and I fell asleep and when I sort of remembered waking up, a majority of the popcorn was gone. I either ate it all in a drowsy state or my new apartment is haunted...if I disappear you now know what happened.

• Like 5

Week 2 Update:

I am just terrible about updating my challenge threads over the weekends. So once again here's an update on the many adventures of my weekend.

Thursday and Friday

Nothing special. Ate a lot of food as previously discussed. Didn't go to the gym at all. Did take the ruck for a walk up through the Fellsway again. Saw some friends who I went to high school with who are here visiting from the UK which was an awesome reunion. Couple of needed rest days.

Saturday

I was itching to get back into the gym but only open gym time was at noon so I had to wait all morning. But super solid deadlift session. Got all the way up to my daily 1 rep set and I was feeling good but for some reason I couldn't mentally get my head around doing an AMRAP set. I said that to my coach and his quote was "well then don't do it but you better put more weight on and lift another single instead then". So workout changed to singles instead of AMAP and more coach sass.

385lb(normal training single) -> previous quote -> 405lbs -> "that was too easy to count as the AMAP" -> 415lbs -> "that was your PR weight? That's a lie clearly" -> 420lbs -> "I mean you've come this far, might as well add more" -> 425lbs -> "Well that was successful"

Then some accessory work - 3 x 15 x 225lbs car deadlift and 50 Bulgarian split squats per leg.

Sunday

Rest day again. Did a bunch of errands and meal prepped some lunches for the week. Finally able to get my old grill setup in the yard at the new apartment so took the meal prep outdoors to make some grilled chicken and veggies for fajita salads.

Also, I learned quickly that a full watermelon is a significant amount fruit for only two people. I saw them on sale and decided I had to have it...half way through cutting it, strongly second guessed that. Gonna be eating a lot of that this week apparently.

• Like 4

Week 3 Day 1

It was like deja vu of Saturday at the gym. I squatted some weights...coach provided sass...extra singles were done...new PR was had...much celebration.

Lots of extra foam rolling and warm-up today to protect the legs/knees. The last couple of times, I get random upper calf and quad cramps following squats and they cause temporary knee soreness. Seems like a lot of extra tightness in the calves and I tend to have a quad-dominant squat which I probably need to work on a bit. After this comp, I want to back off and work on keeping the knees back a bit and keeping the possibility of knees drifting too far forward at bay. Really just want to make sure soreness doesn't turn into lingering injury/pain issue.

Barbell Squats - 355lbs 1RM    
  10 x 110lbs
  10 x 145lbs
  5 x 180lbs
  4 x 215lbs
  3 x 250lbs
  2 x 285lbs
  1 x 320lbs

1 x 335lbs

1 x 340lbs (+5lb PR)

Accessory:

4 x 12 x 15lb Weighted Situps

10 x 30' x 80lb DB farmer carry(Ohh the forearm DOMs today)

Food was pretty solid after that bad binge streak. Meal prep obviously helps. Calories were high but all in correct proportions with protein being very high. Weight back down to 313 after some post-binge fluctuations.

Calories 2921: Carbs 256g Fat 82g Protein 304g

• Like 4

Nice workkkkk on those squats, dude. Also love the salads. And while watermelon SEEMS like a lot... it's surprisingly easy to eat a buttload. I have singlehandedly finished off a watermelon half on my own in a single sitting... just take a spoon to it. :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

And while watermelon SEEMS like a lot... it's surprisingly easy to eat a buttload. I have singlehandedly finished off a watermelon half on my own in a single sitting... just take a spoon to it. :D

Its funny you say this because my girlfriend and I pretty much devoured half of it last night. Two bowls each for desert and most of the half I chopped up is already gone. It also helps that it was a really good juicy watermelon and I could eat it all in a sitting if I really wanted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Its funny you say this because my girlfriend and I pretty much devoured half of it last night. Two bowls each for desert and most of the half I chopped up is already gone. It also helps that it was a really good juicy watermelon and I could eat it all in a sitting if I really wanted.

yes. this. then your belly makes all those watery sounds when you move around cuz watermelon.

• Like 3

Just now, CourtnieMarie said:

yes. this. then your belly makes all those watery sounds when you move around cuz watermelon.

....and you have to go to the bathroom at 5am because of all the water you consumed before bed. Realllly wanted to sleep more but couldn't fall back asleep.