• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Ox King

Balls to the Walls

EDIT: I'm adding a personality element.

In my mind, fighting has three elements: speed, technique, and power.

EDIT: Somewhat with power, fierceness is a component too. Being willing to hit and

My challenges for this period are:

Speed:

Get to Run 9 of C25K.

Practice burpees 4x (1x week).

Practice boxing jabs 6x.

Technique:

Practice a martial art 12 times (3x week).

Get a punching bag.

Practice yoga 4x (1x week)

Power:

Get a weight bench.

Bench 120# 3x 2set.

Dumbbell curl 40lb 10x 3set.

Fierceness:

Practice being dominant more often.

• Like 1

Nice and simple goals.  You have plans on how you're going to tackle the more vague ones?  Kinda curious about how you're going to practice being more dominant.  And curious where your bench and curl are currently at.

5 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Nice and simple goals.  You have plans on how you're going to tackle the more vague ones?  Kinda curious about how you're going to practice being more dominant.  And curious where your bench and curl are currently at.

So, for domination, there are three elements that I will work on.

1. Posture (and self awareness of posture). I'm unsure how to quantify this.

2. Touch. Touch is a Big for me. I have issues touching people because I cannot usually tell where personal bubbles end. But it is generally acceptable to touch people to guide them. While I'm not in a romantic or sexual relationship, when I am, I'd like to not be afraid to touch their hands or other areas. Again, quantifying this is difficult.

3. Assertiveness and control. I'll often let others control the situation said the conversation. Again, quantization.

4 hours ago, neomattlac said:

1. Posture (and self awareness of posture). I'm unsure how to quantify this.

Well, I don't know how to do the last too without crossing some lines and learning to read people, but as to the first, maybe this can help?

3 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, I don't know how to do the last too without crossing some lines and learning to read people, but as to the first, maybe this can help?

Thank you. Actually, the power pose is over element I was planning on incorporating. I understand, more then most people, the connection between mind and body, and how it affects confidence and percieved power. It was a topic I have done a lot of research on.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2016 at 11:38 PM, Kishi said:

Nice! Simple and direct. These tend to work well.

So, have you picked an art yet or are you still looking?

I practice several arts, which is why I left out open. I'm always looking for new arts. The only one I don't like is Okinawan style Ryu karate, but I'm pretty sure I just had a bad sensei. Currently, I am informally practicing tae kwon do, tai chi, karate, bjj, and judo. Formally, I'm practicing boxing.

• Like 1

I have done nothing to work towards my goals yet. Instead, I've been trying to finish up this project for school. It's stressing me out bad, and making me lose my temper very, very easily. I'm just so done with this week. 

Unfortunately, most of the homework is hosted on Google Drive, which is disabled at work, so I can't work on it there.

It happens, man. The real world doesn't much care for our attempts to get better. That's why you gotta fight for it. Sometimes that means going guerilla - sneaking push ups here and there, striking poses in the bathroom, things like that. You do what you have to do, if the goal means enough to you. Any progress you can get is good progress.

On 7/23/2016 at 9:02 PM, Kishi said:

You do what you have to do, if the goal means enough to you.

^This

That said, sometimes life does smack you upside the head, and you just do what needs to be done and get to the optional quests when things settle down a bit more.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:02 PM, Kishi said:

It happens, man. The real world doesn't much care for our attempts to get better. That's why you gotta fight for it. Sometimes that means going guerilla - sneaking push ups here and there, striking poses in the bathroom, things like that. You do what you have to do, if the goal means enough to you. Any progress you can get is good progress.

It's kind of coincidental that you say that, because I wrote a post about just that yesterday. (I'm also really bad at checking these forums for responses)

You can actually read it here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=6206508

Hm. It seems that I have a case of paradoxical intention. When I focus on doing something long-term, I seem to get attracted to the opposite behavior. I found that by telling myself to take it easy, I want to work harder. Gah.

This is harder than expected.

I'm also finding it difficult, because I don't know as much martial arts as I thought... Is boxing a martial art?

Anyways, I did a pretty hard workout on Tuesday and f'ed myself the rest of the week. I keep getting this erroneous feeling that ice cream will help me recover. I need ibuprofen, not ice cream. And yet... ice cream.

I find myself today in an odd state. Strangely, the reason is hot black tea with honey. It places me in a calming state. I feel centered and focused (but not productive, because I'm writing this while at work). Maybe I need more hot black tea with honey.

So, while I am not doing well on this challenge (but can get better), I noticed a circle pattern in my life. A really freakin' obvious one. When I do well, I continue to do well. When I don't, I don't. 

When I don't workout, my muscles aren't stiff.

When my muscles aren't stiff, I don't get a reminder to practice martial arts.

When I don't practice martial arts, I feel that I failed.

When I feel I failed, I don't meditate and I don't eat well.

When I don't eat well or meditate, I feel de-motivated.

When I feel de-motivated, I continue to not workout, and I feel that I failed (so now my negative spiral picks up speed as there's an extra thread in each rotation).

Finally managed to pull off a morning workout. Granted, it was only 45 minutes, but, hell, 12 minutes of it was pretty solid rowing, 1 minute was a nice stride run, and about 15 minutes was walking slightly faster than my normal pace, and up a higher than usual incline to boot! And some flies and chest presses (both machines).

On 8/2/2016 at 6:47 AM, neomattlac said:

Finally managed to pull off a morning workout. Granted, it was only 45 minutes, but, hell, 12 minutes of it was pretty solid rowing, 1 minute was a nice stride run, and about 15 minutes was walking slightly faster than my normal pace, and up a higher than usual incline to boot! And some flies and chest presses (both machines).

Nice work!

Morning workouts for me are mainly because of time limitations, but I won't say there weren't some days I left them feeling awesome.  I just hate the feeling of being rushed in my workouts, so I kinda....stopped doing morning workouts.  Also, I really like sleep and going to bed at 9:30PM was getting a bit tiresome.